Caribbean or Grand in January

Coolmama_1

We are trying to book a cruise with another couple in January. Itinerary is not so important to them, we are just ready to go!:) The Caribbean is Sun-Sun (Eastern) and the Grand is Sat-Sat (Western). Any thoughts on either? Which would you choose?

I'm sure both would be great. Both ships are wonderful. My personal preference would be Sat-Sat just to give yourself an extra day to relax before returning to work. If that's not a priority I'd pick the Caribbean Princess simply because it's a newer ship and I haven't sailed it before. Whichever you choose...have fun!

The Caribbean Princess is my favorite ship thus far, so I'm biased - also love the Eastern itinerary because of the extra sea days.

As for the Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun issue I look at it this way --- you must (IMHO) arrive at your destination one day prior to sailing. So, with a Sunday departure, I can fly or drive in on Saturday without taking Friday off from work. When I return, I take Monday off to "get it together" to head back to work.

With the Saturday departure, I have to take off Friday to arrive one day prior to departure so it's the same difference to me - either one extra vacation day at the beginning or one at the end!

I do prefer the Saturday departure, but I also love sailing on the Caribbean Princess! Like you, I've also sailed on the Golden and the Star - both are fabulous ships, but I think you will really enjoy the CB ;)

We have sailed on both ships more than once. Personally, we enjoy the Caribbean Princess much more than the Grand Princess because of the Cafe Caribe it offers. Plus, the Caribbean Princess is a much newer ship.

We also love the Eastern Itineary so much more than the Western. The ports are cleaner, there are nicer beaches and much better shopping in the Eastern.

DH and I are actually considering those same cruises except in late October/early November. We're booked on the Emerald for 2/4/08, so the late fall voyage would be a "bonus" trip with no frills (inside stateroom, no pre-cruise hotel stay).

Having been on both ships, there are good/not so good points about each. CB is newer but has 500 more passengers than the older Grand. We prefer Eastern Caribbean itinerary, and CB also has three days at sea - nice :) . We enjoyed the ambiance of the CB enough to sail her a second time but our single cruise on the Grand was our least favorite Princess experience (overall passenger complement seemed too old when we were in our mid-50s).

The Saturday-to-Saturday cruise might be better so that we're not worrying about getting home and DH getting back to work first thing Monday morning. Sunday-to-Sunday sailing gives us a day to recuperate. Also, Sunday airfares tend to run a little higher than Saturday flights.

If we went on the Grand, we would likely not disembark the ship in Cozumel or Ocho Rios as we didn't care for either of these ports on previous cruises but Grand Cayman has lovely beaches and decent shopping. I wouldn't mind seeing the new Crown Bay dock in St. Thomas on the CB, and Orient Beach in St. Martin is the most beautiful beach we've visited anywhere. Shopping in both ports is awesome. Both cruises make a stop at idyllic Princess Cays :) .

If I can locate my reviews for both ships, I'll post the links.

Chris

I will be on the Grand's January 5th sailing. I love the CB, have been on here 2 times to the eastern carib. Absolutely loved the cruise both times. This time I want to try something new- Either way you will have a great time as they are similar ships!

The Saturday-to-Saturday cruise might be better so that we're not worrying about getting home and DH getting back to work first thing Monday morning. Sunday-to-Sunday sailing gives us a day to recuperate. Also, Sunday airfares tend to run a little higher than Saturday flights.

Sunday-to-Sunday does not give us a day to recuperate is what I meant to say and is the reason that we're leaning more toward the Grand.

Chris

If you like sea days then Eastern on the Caribbean Princess has one more than the Grand's Western run. If you think you may have dinner in buffett once or more times then the Caribbean Princess has Cafe Caribe which gives you more diversity.

Based on you location, not sure if you are driving or flying. A Sunday cruise offers the oportunity of arriving a day ealier (or starting your drive-down, if you are thinking of breaking up the drive) without missing an extra day of work

Thanks for the input. The other couple we are going with would like the Sat departure for the reasons mentioned. DH is clergy so the Sun departure gives him 2 Sundays off!:) I really think he would feel obligated to return to the pulpit the next day if we returned on Saturday!

Archived