Better to book cruise with TA or RCCL?

Hello Cruising Experts!

Which do you prefer to book your cruise through - a travel agent or RCCL?

Which way saves you the most money?

Which way provides the best service - like dealing with price drops or special requests (table for two)?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Book with RCCL directly.

Handle all your own changes/requests/price drops/coupons/discounts

7 days before final payment is due, transfer to a TA to get the perks.

That's how I do it.

Hello Cruising Experts!

Which do you prefer to book your cruise through - a travel agent or RCCL?

Which way saves you the most money?

Which way provides the best service - like dealing with price drops or special requests (table for two)?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Unless you know of a TA that you trust (and I know there are a lot out there), I'd go through RCCL directly. I've had nothing but problems with my TA, and you're pretty much stuck if you have questions or want to make changes and you can't get a hold of them (mine disappeared when I started asking about a price reduction I saw) Also, Royal Caribbean has an agreement with them and can't discuss your bookings themselves to figure out any issues, except for the basics. :rolleyes:

I always book directly with RCCI. I have looked at the TA online, and have never found anything cheaper than going through RCCI direct. And like others said, then if I want to find out something, I can just call RCCI and get answers without waiting for someone to call back, have to check, etc. I know lots of folks have TA's they trust, but I have never found one to work with, so going directly through RCCI works best for me.

I'm the oddball. I use a local TA whom I have dealt with for many years. (back when TA's used to buy airfare). I like being able to just make a quick call or e-mail and it is all handled (including fare drops). She has all my information, names, address, DOB, etc so it just saves me time. I've never had any problems with my three previous cruises. I would not, however, use a TA I didn't know.

Personally, I also use a local TA. Four cruises, numerous disney trips, no problems.

And I think one of the reasons why I think TA's don't give great customer service anymore is because of people who do all the leg work and then transfer to the TA 7 days before sail. The TA does absoultely nothing (and they get used to doing absolutely nothing) and collect a comission check on something somebody else did all the leg work on.

I just thought I would repost a part of what I said the last time someone asked this same question. :D

By asking this question on CC critic you are usually going to get most people saying to book direct. That is because most CC'ers are very computer savy. And not only don't mind taking the time to manage their bookings but seem to enjoy it as well. Most people that use TA's like the idea of having everything done for them.

We are going on our first cruise in June, and we booked directly. I had read/lurked on these boards for a couple of weeks before booking, and I kept seeing thread after thread citing TA issues and problems and that snatched it for me. I don't mind doing the leg work, I would rather have control over my booking so that I can make my decisions first hand as opposed to someone making the decisions for me and hoping they know what I would like. I did however use AAA for about 10 minutes when we knew we wanted to cruise so I went to our local office, spoke with the TA and took home a couple of brochures and a recommendation for RCI. She did let me know that regardless of who I went with (AAA or booking directly) to make sure I watched my price drops. I know a few people are going to have a problem with my using a TA and then booking directly, but I figure I pay my yearly dues rarely use the towing package (twice maybe), nor do I pick up maps very often (I think I've gotten maybe 5 in the last 15 years or so I've been a member) so they've been making money off of me for years and I had no problem taking 10 minutes of their time.

I watch my prices daily, and I've received a credit for a price drop that will pay for our liquor on board. I've been able to contact them directly regarding some dietary/health issues so I know the conversations I've had and who I've had them with. I've been able to request a table for 2, hopefully I'll get it. I would rather be in control of my vacation as opposed to someone who doesn't know me, but that's just me. You have to decide how much time you want to take in booking and managing your reservation. You can have as much control (booking direct) or as little (using a TA) as you want but ultimately it's your money, time, and vacation. I know most people like the perks of a TA, but I personally don't mind missing out on perks in favor of great customer service from myself. My DH and I have realized that we make a great travelling pair, I like to research things to death and he just likes to go along for the ride and not worry about the details.

Depends on the TA. You can find an EXCELLENT TA on the boards. They cannot advertise, but you can read threads and look around. Some of the most frequent posters (no, I'm not a TA) are TA's and excellent TA's at that. If you find a good one, you've struck gold. Feed and nurture them well.

It took about 4 cruises before I felt comfortable booking my own. Now I take care of all cruises departing from US but let my TA take care of the more exotic cruises.

Remember it may not be just the cruise you need to book. There may or may not be airfare, hotel and transportation to and from the port. As long as I am comfortable with the departure city, it's fairly easy.

Jana

I prefer being in control of my own destiny! If I have a request, or need to make a change, or just have a question, I find it easier to just call RCI and take care of it! I don't have to wait for a TA's opening hours, or deal with a 3rd party.

Now, if I were to do some overseas trip, where connections had to be timed, or I was unfamiliar with the ports, etc.... I would use a TA. It all depends on what you're comfortable with! Domestically, I book my own air and hotels, as well.

We have booked with both and I prefer booking with RCL...I book on the ship so you get the credit and they tend to find pretty good deals as well...we booked a 4 night Mex cruise for $327 pp with tax etc...the same cabin would have been $369 pp on RCL website, plus we get $50 on board...not to say TA's dont get great rates but we do well this way so its likely we'll stick with it....

Archived