Newsflash - Pacific Star Sold This Morning

So whats going to happen to those cruises and the people who have booked?? wonder if they have been informed??

Chez

xx

I know a lot of american cruisers on the cancelled sun princess 31 day cruise still havent heard from their TA. They only found out about it from australian posters. they have international flights and trip all organised,

So did I. I think i must be one of the only people who think that that ship is really well designed (passenger areas) and wasnt in too bad condition.

Call me old fashioned, but i really do like the 1980's cruise ship designs. They were designed so passengers could be out there meeting eachother and mingling, not for them spend a chunk of time in their cabin on their balconies. What we need is more open deck space and less balconies

*ducks from people about to throw stuff*

:rolleyes:

Hi Sam,

the Sun is just a bigger version than the star.You will find on the newer ships that there is more deck space especially around the pool areas and in the public areas and anywhere people assemble.On the larger ships there is less queueing for anything ,and superior facilities.You find people who havent cruised a lot go for balconies because they think they are getting superior cabins ...not so and believe me they dont spend any time on them.Trust me i have been on 22 cruises on heaps of cruise lines in many different countries.I have only ever had a balcony cabin once ...never used it .I always travel inside twin so i can spend my money on tours etc.I agree with people mingling and meeting .on the bigger ships there is heaps of bars and nooks where people meet and mix.the only thing thats different is the discos are smaller ,not as big as party atmosphere but that will change to cater for the aussie way of life...nothing will change except you will be on bigger and better layed out ships.dont knock till you try it....you might be pleasantly suprised.:)

Hi Chez,

same as when they sold the sky .a letter with a chq enclosed no apology ...nothing.Great Public relations from P@O not......i dont think the sale of the star was any real news for people who cruise a bit ....its just typical P@O:)

Hey Col,

I know, it's pretty slack, I know we at CC all knew that it was possibly being sold!! Oh well, at least there is now a huge selection to cruise from Australia on, bigger and newer than the Star! Still looks like the Gemini is still the go for Asia, love that DVD!!! especially if it docks closer to the ports in Asia as someone on here said.......very important if you only have a day (8 hours) in port, don't want to be travelling for 4 of it:eek:

Chez

xx (for Di)!!!

CC is a wealth of info regarding cancelled cruises and ships being sold. That's how we found out that our Alaksan cruise had been cancelled.

Everyone at work reckons they have sold the Star because hubby has banned me from holidays until 2009 and they shipping industry will suffer.

Does anyone know the reason why they sold? Is it through lack of interest in the Asia cruises they organized or were they offered a really good deal to buy the ship?

Either way it's very disappointing for all those who had, or were considering taking one of those cruises.

Terry

Hey Col,

I know, it's pretty slack, I know we at CC all knew that it was possibly being sold!! Oh well, at least there is now a huge selection to cruise from Australia on, bigger and newer than the Star! Still looks like the Gemini is still the go for Asia, love that DVD!!! especially if it docks closer to the ports in Asia as someone on here said.......very important if you only have a day (8 hours) in port, don't want to be travelling for 4 of it:eek:

Chez

xx (for Di)!!!

Hi Chez,

yep your rite .most ports on the asian cruises are a distance from where the ships dock especially kula lumpa its a good 2 hrs drive from port kalang.that dvd i gave you is Virgo which is 77000 tonnes the gemini is only 19000 tonnes but still a great little ship ......go the panthers:eek:

col xxxxx

I believe she was sold because:

• old design - not related to anything else in entire Carnival fleet
  • age meant features were not what is becoming expected industry norm, balconies, alternative dining etc. "Classic cruising" is a euphemism for old ships. The prices charged by P&O means old ships are just not going to cut it in the medium to long term. Remember the competitors to P&O Aust are not other ships but land-based resorts and that is where you compare prices!!
  • age meant need for ongoing maintenance increasing. You only have to check out the reviews on this site to see she was rusty, had poor air conditioning, often stunk and occassionally broke down. Remember Star is actually 2 years older than Sky was.
  • and of course....someone was willing to buy it!!!

Hi Chez,

yep your rite .most ports on the asian cruises are a distance from where the ships dock especially kula lumpa its a good 2 hrs drive from port kalang.that dvd i gave you is Virgo which is 77000 tonnes the gemini is only 19000 tonnes but still a great little ship ......go the panthers:eek:

col xxxxx

Sorry Col! having a blonde moment and got the ships mixed up:rolleyes:

Smart ****, just cos we took your place on the bottom of the ladder, Roosters won't last;)

Chez

xx

Our cruise has been canned 29 march 2008-5 April. Brisbane -Cairns- I told my TA after reading Cruise Critic this morning-

Otherwise we still wouldn't have known- next week we were going to organise timeshare weeks etc- glad we hadn't already.

Big fights here- I wanted to re- book but as we are going on Dawn August 10 2008 hubby wants to go to South Island instead.

Plus the Dawn cruise same time was what we are doing in August and it would have been more expensive than what we had budgeted on

Now I have to wait 14 months for my first cruise ever.

I told TA I have to have a holiday end of March - waiting until May 17 for next Brisbane - Cairns cruise was too long as we have an accommodation business and are just about going nuts by begiining of April after busy summer season

We were called this morning by our Travel Agent to tell us our Pacific Sun cruise (N801) March 2008 was being 'rescheduled' to 23 February 2008 - one more night, one more port ... etc etc etc

We were called this morning by our Travel Agent to tell us our Pacific Sun cruise (N801) March 2008 was being 'rescheduled' to 23 February 2008 - one more night, one more port ... etc etc etc

I received that offer via email this morning from my TA for our (now cancelled) N811 on the Sun. Because the Star's been sold and can't do it's huge 42 night trip in March they're taking the Sun to do it instead, so all of us booked in the early March late Feb cruises have been cancelled :( I'm so bummed. But i'm still going to take the 23 Feb offer. Why should I miss out just because they sold a ship? I'm sure that when the time comes we'll all be so excited about taking our cruise we'll have forgotten how upset we are now. I hope! I just hope they give back me the cabin that I had originally booked - I specifically asked for it as it was away from the lifts and stairs etc, and I like as little noise as possible when i'm trying to sleep! LOL!

I'm pretty sure we're going to take the offer up too. It's our (husband, me and two kids) second cruise - we went January this year on our first. This time my sister and her husband and children are coming too (their first cruise). Bit of a drama to move holidays around, but I'm still looking forward to it!:)

I received that offer via email this morning from my TA for our (now cancelled) N811 on the Sun. Because the Star's been sold and can't do it's huge 42 night trip in March they're taking the Sun to do it instead, so all of us booked in the early March late Feb cruises have been cancelled :( I'm so bummed. But i'm still going to take the 23 Feb offer. Why should I miss out just because they sold a ship? I'm sure that when the time comes we'll all be so excited about taking our cruise we'll have forgotten how upset we are now. I hope! I just hope they give back me the cabin that I had originally booked - I specifically asked for it as it was away from the lifts and stairs etc, and I like as little noise as possible when i'm trying to sleep! LOL!

Good for you for taking the Feb offer - you're right, why should you miss out just because they sold Star! And yes I'm sure the excitement will build up and help you forget how upsetting it was to be cancelled.

Hope all goes well with getting the cabin you want as well..

So did I. I think i must be one of the only people who think that that ship is really well designed (passenger areas) and wasnt in too bad condition.

Call me old fashioned, but i really do like the 1980's cruise ship designs. They were designed so passengers could be out there meeting eachother and mingling, not for them spend a chunk of time in their cabin on their balconies. What we need is more open deck space and less balconies

*ducks from people about to throw stuff*

:rolleyes:

Don't worry Sam, you're not the only one - I agree with you as well. I actually prefer the Star to Pacific Sun. Even though the layouts are basically the same, the interior decor on Star is much nicer - but that's just my personal preference I guess. Pacific Sky's layout was even better in some ways, lots more outside space and a better layout for the pizzeria and inside promenade deck.

Don't worry Sam, you're not the only one - I agree with you as well.

Same here, have to admit i am a Classic Cruise Liner lover.... personally i think they are better suited to the European market though, where you are in port almost daily....you don't require as much stimulation.....:rolleyes:

As far as balconies go they are great when you are on a long stretch at sea, we enjoyed one on a gig between Perth and Mauritius....with so many days at sea it was great having somewhere private to sit in the sun and fresh air...... Would I book a Verandah cabin myself .....NO WAY... i prefer having more spending money.......cheers shiona:D

Don't worry Sam, you're not the only one - I agree with you as well. I actually prefer the Star to Pacific Sun. Even though the layouts are basically the same, the interior decor on Star is much nicer - but that's just my personal preference I guess. Pacific Sky's layout was even better in some ways, lots more outside space and a better layout for the pizzeria and inside promenade deck.

I agree with you the layout of the star is much better than the sun although my wife could not take the sewerage smell throughout the maiden cruise.I still love cruising even on older ships as long as I'm at sea and relaxing.

So whats going to happen to those cruises and the people who have booked?? wonder if they have been informed??

Chez

xx

Charmain - Read Miss Minx (Jo)'s separate post. She has just been told and is less than happy.

Gee thanks Brad for saying that Star is a bit of a bucket. We are off for a 12 day Pacific cruise on her 4 weeks tomorrow!

So much for Auckland - this winter having Star here is the first time there has been a ship based here for several years and the P&O Hoopla that now Dawn could take over Sydney freeing Sun for Brisbane and Auckland getting its own ship every winter seems to be exposed as PR bullxxxx.

Derek

Charmain - Read Miss Minx (Jo)'s separate post. She has just been told and is less than happy.

Gee thanks Brad for saying that Star is a bit of a bucket. We are off for a 12 day Pacific cruise on her 4 weeks tomorrow!

So much for Auckland - this winter having Star here is the first time there has been a ship based here for several years and the P&O Hoopla that now Dawn could take over Sydney freeing Sun for Brisbane and Auckland getting its own ship every winter seems to be exposed as PR bullxxxx.

Derek

Please give her a go I have Cruised her several times and she is a loverly White lady.

Take care of her over the ditch as I am on her first cruise when she comes back;)

Derek

Derek, this isn't the first winter that P&O has had a ship based Auckland for the winter. There has bee a ship in Auckland for winter every year since Pacific Sky first did a season in 2002. The 2008 winter season from Auckland won't be affected by the sale of Pacific Star as next year it will be done by Pacific Sun, which will continue to operate out of Brisbane, with the winter in NZ. The only cruises for Pacific Sun that are being cancelled are the ones that have been cancelled to free her to do the Cherry Blossom cruise in March/April.

I think you're confusing the 'first winter season' with the first summer season that Pacific Star is doing this summer. I guess this will be a one off now and won't be repeated for summer 2008/2009 unless a replacement ship is put into service.

Please give her a go I have Cruised her several times and she is a loverly White lady.

Take care of her over the ditch as I am on her first cruise when she comes back;)

It's disappointing to hear that the Mighty Pacific Star has been sold. It is a much nicer ship compared to the Pacific Sun. The decks are much nicer. The out back balcony bar is a great feature. The lido deck on the Pacific Star is much bigger than the Lido deck on the Pacific Sun because there is no slide taking up all the room which is beneficial for deck parties such as Island Night. I like Alfresco dining and loved the way Breakfast and Lunches were served on the Lido deck on the Star. It was also good how they had the Pizzeria set up on deck at certain times during the day/night. It sure beats the Pizzeria dining on the Sun inside the Lido cafeteria. I also loved the Steakhouse (Club Bahia) on the Star it is much nicer than the Steakhouse served on the Sun's lido cafeteria.

I love cruising and it has been that way since my first cruise from Brisbane in 2005 on the Pacific Sky.

My second cruise was from Sydney on the Pacific Sun in October 2006. Compared to my first cruise on the Pacific Sky, I did not enjoy it.

They should make improvements to the Sun.

However, I loved my recent cruise (April 2007) on the Pacific Star. The reason why I enjoyed this cruise was because Captain Stefano Ravera was again in command. He truly is the world's best captain!

I was waiting for Mum to say it but it appears she hasn't had time to come in here!! The thing that we find disappointing is that they were offering such great specials for the Asian cruise and they would have most definitely known that she was going to be sold and they probably wouldn't sail!!

We just wonder if we had booked whether we would have gotten some nice bonus for having our Asian cruise cancelled!!

Cheers,

Charmain

I can say one thing though, my GF's parents were looking at doing one of the Asia cruises on the star and i quietly pointed them towards superstar cruises a few days before they were going to book.

The only reason i did that was because of the rumors on here about the star getting sold off ages ago.

It's confusing, which one?The Star or The Sun?:confused:

It would be disappointing for Staceymrow and Justgottago to read some of these reviews, because I’m confused, comment was

“That Star is a bit of a rust bucket,” which worries me?

But many comments were

• The Star is a nicer ship compared to the Pacific Sun
  • The decks on the Star are much nicer and bigger
  • Deck on the Sun is smaller because of the water slide
  • Breakfast and Lunches are served on the Lido deck on the Star.
  • Star having there Pizzeria set up on deck. It sure beats the Pizzeria dining on the Sun inside the Lido cafeteria.
  • The Steakhouse (Club Bahia) on the Star it is much nicer than the Steakhouse served on the Sun's lido cafeteria.
  • The Pacific Star is a much nicer ship, nicer features

BUT another comment was

“They ought to get rid of the Pacific Sun not the Star”,

is this true, so why? we in Brisbane get the rejects as I’m booked

on the Pacific Sun, I will still be cruising regardless on the Pacific Star

and the Pacific Sun :)

Cheers Mouse

Archived