Newsflash - Pacific Star Sold This Morning

jUST HAD A PHONE CALL FROM MY TRAVEL AGENT AND THE PACIFIC STAR WAS SOLD AT 10.30 AM THIS MORNING. i WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF BOOKING AN ASIA CRUISE AND JUST RECEIVED AN URGENT PHONE CALL WITH THE NEWS - DON'T KNOW WHO SHE WAS SOLD TO OR WHEN IT TAKES EFFECT.

CHEERS rACH

It's following Pacific Sky and going to Pullmantur in March next year

Here's the release:

P&O Cruises Australia Renews Fleet as Capacity Grows

Date: 31 May 2007

P&O Cruises Australia today announced the sale of Pacific Star as part of its rolling program to renew its fleet while continuing to grow its South Pacific cruise business.

The 1350-passenger Pacific Star has been sold to Spanish cruise operator, Pullmantur Cruises, and will leave the fleet in March 2008.

The move comes as P&O Cruises prepares to welcome its first superliner, the 2050-passenger Pacific Dawn, in November this year, which will substantially increase its overall fleet capacity.

“Following the sale of Pacific Star, P&O Cruises’ fleet capacity will still increase by 20 per cent through the arrival of Australia’s first superliner, Pacific Dawn, later this year,” P&O Cruises President Gavin Smith said.

“The sale of Pacific Star is part of our ongoing process of renewing our Australian fleet, while at the same time continuing to increase the capacity of P&O Cruises.

“Pacific Dawn will be the largest and most modern cruise ship in P&O Cruises’ fleet and will bring affordable balcony cabins and ‘your choice dining’ to the Australian market for the first time.”

Designed by acclaimed international architect Renzo Piano, Pacific Dawn features 184 balcony staterooms and is known for its distinctive appearance, including its unique dolphin-like prow and a domed observation lounge that curves around the ship’s front.

Mr Smith said Pacific Sun would operate the very popular 42-night Cherry Blossom cruise to Japan, originally scheduled for the smaller Pacific Star in March 2008.

“We apologise for any inconvenience the ship’s sale may have caused and will be contacting those passengers booked on Pacific Star sailings scheduled after March 2008 to discuss alternative cruises,” Mr Smith said.

Great.....best get rid whilst she is still worth something......lol... best of all with the changes is that the Pacific Princess is going to Europe ...lead me to the itinerarys...... cheers shiona

Anyone get the feeling of "deja vu?"....possibly NARELLE?

Karen

Think the Sun will be next to go in March 2009? :D I think they should keep Sun Princess here after her stay and make her a P&O ship. "Pacific Constellation" has a nice ring to it. :D LOL

Think the Sun will be next to go in March 2009? :D I think they should keep Sun Princess here after her stay and make her a P&O ship. "Pacific Constellation" has a nice ring to it. :D LOL

The Sun Princess is staying here. Originally she was coming just to do the 6 month season Pacific Princess has normally done but will now stay.

Karen

The Sun Princess is staying here. Originally she was coming just to do the 6 month season Pacific Princess has normally done but will now stay.

Karen

I was under the impression her stay was only for a couple of years. If thet's the case then, rebrand the Dawn Princess and keep her here. :D

I was under the impression her stay was only for a couple of years. If thet's the case then, rebrand the Dawn Princess and keep her here. :D

Ok. Maybe I'm wrong (it has happened before....I think:rolleyes: ). But initially I thought maybe you thought she was only here for the 6 months.

I think you know what I mean???

Karen

I bet you had to check two or three times Jane that is was the star and not the sun being sold!!

It certainly is getting harder to keep up with all the changes. But it is all good for sydney cruisers.

Wouldn't you just hate to be travel agent right now:eek: Not only confusion of all the names of ships, but telling clients their cruises are cancelled/itinerary's changed.....be full time job to keep up with it all!!!

Chez

xx

Well, it is starting to be very confusing, or it that interesting with the constant changes of names, placements, so now its Pacific Sun, Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess here full time, and Dawn Princess some of the time, if Pacific Sun goes and Sun Princess stays, is there anything behind the fact that Pacific Dawn will stay all white and now Sun Princess won't change her name, is a trend developing here. As they seem to change the ships every few months it makes it hard to plan a cruise 12 months plus ahead and be sure of getting the itinerary/ship you actually book and with both P&O and Princess getting new ships around the 116,000 tonnes mark perhaps even more moves are afoot. At least the itinaries are getting more interesting more like those on offer way back when the old Oriana was here as even on her last legs she was faster than most ship around now.:p

Not for us though. Anyone getting the feeling that we are getting the sydney rejects? :(

...after Sydney gets the U.S. rejects. I can't believe they would sell your ship without your permission Star-Man. P&O is calling it a "rolling program to renew its fleet"

Could be worse. Cruisers on Pullmantur ... ahh, another reject from Brisbane!

Cheers

Well I can't say I'm sorry to see the back of Star. Unfortunately she has a reputation of being a bit of a rusty old bucket and was never loved the way people loved Sky.

Hopefully Carnival Australia has learnt its lesson and will not introduce anymore geriatrics to the Australian fleet. DP and SP are a great move as is PD.

One can't help but think that "classic cruising" is not long for Australian waters and Pac Sun will soon also depart unless one of Suns's siblings, Holiday or Celebration join it from the Carnival fleet but they are both rumored to be heasding off to Europe as part of the Iberojet joint venture where they will operate in direct competition with Pullmantur's 2 ex-P&O Australia discards.

Not for us though. Anyone getting the feeling that we are getting the sydney rejects? :(

And with Pacific Sun replacing Pacific Star on the Cherry Blossom cruise, we also lose at least 5 cruise departures from Brisbane between during March and April 2008 while Pacific Sun does that cruise.

This move by P&O Australia was predictable. I think Pullmantur Cruises was the same operator that purchased the Pacific Sky.

Yes, Pullmantur is the same company that purchased Pacific Sky and renamed her Sky Wonder.

And with Pacific Sun replacing Pacific Star on the Cherry Blossom cruise, we also lose at least 5 cruise departures from Brisbane between during March and April 2008 while Pacific Sun does that cruise.

So whats going to happen to those cruises and the people who have booked?? wonder if they have been informed??

Chez

xx

Hi cruisers,

I can't help feeling for Captain Ravera....first the Pacific Sky now the Star... he has done a wonderful job on both ships.

(he loves the Star).

However, it does give us Aussies a chance to cruise on board newer ships, with better facilities....

let us hope they have a good atmosphere...

some ships look great, but when you get on board....:eek:

.... it's confusing to say the least with next years bookings....what ship is going where, when...

P&O will be busy changing their brochures no doubt.

I will still be cruising regardless.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

I can't help feeling for Captain Ravera....first the Pacific Sky now the Star... he has done a wonderful job on both ships.

(he loves the Star).

So did I. I think i must be one of the only people who think that that ship is really well designed (passenger areas) and wasnt in too bad condition.

Call me old fashioned, but i really do like the 1980's cruise ship designs. They were designed so passengers could be out there meeting eachother and mingling, not for them spend a chunk of time in their cabin on their balconies. What we need is more open deck space and less balconies

*ducks from people about to throw stuff*

:rolleyes:

So whats going to happen to those cruises and the people who have booked?? wonder if they have been informed??

Chez

xx

Hi Chez,

same as when they sold the sky .a letter with a chq enclosed no apology ...nothing.Great Public relations from P@O not......i dont think the sale of the star was any real news for people who cruise a bit ....its just typical P@O:)

Archived