Onboard during the Hurricane?

cruzfiend

I happened to be on the Dawn..a couple of days ahead of the Sun that Sept...we were "tossed around" just enough to make lot's of people sick...including my hubbie. We were on the Caribe deck...he couldn't get out of bed to get down lower in the ship. Our daughter worked on the Dawn and I spent time below the Plaza deck in her cabin...a port hole that never saw light...defintely under water...but stable. I did come up long enough to win at bingo (very few players) and have a drink of the day ;) I, personally, thought it was pretty cool. The daughter said it was nothing...she was also on the Dawn when they ran into rough weather in Alaska...but the worse was coming across the Atlantic on the ? (I can't remember the ship)..they were coming into NYC and had to go through some freak hurricane that ended up that far north. She was in sick bay getting shots with that one...does anyone remember the name of that hurricane that came really far north?? Must have been late '90's? Anyway, I'd rather not have too many more outside influences keeping me from walking in a straight line when cruisin' :D

Dobie, I understand you had bad weather last year and could not make the Mazatlan stop.

Was it during Hurricane season? And if so, in what month did you sail?

I am quite curious because I am sailing to Mazatlan on the Diamond next month which happens to fall smack in the middle of Hurricane Season. o:

The Caymans were being hit hard tonight abouy 6-7PM EST. Charley had winds of 105 mph, and expected to increase to at least 111mph before reaching Tampa area -- a Cat 3 hurricane! It is expected to make landfall late Friday into Sat AM, so Sat departures from Tampa may be delayed.

God Bless all who are in the path of the storm!! We are on the Atlantic coast directly under the projected path, it will lose strength over land but we will still see plenty of rain & wind. Waves are expected to be 10-12 feet above normal with street flooding at Jacksonville Beach. There were several destructive tornadoes spawned from Bonnie Thursday afternoon, and B was nothing compared to C. Again, God bless those in the path...

Now I'm really beginning to understand what the members with 2000+ posts mean when they say, "Here we go again." I've only been reading the posts on this line since earlier in this year and am beginning to experience "deja vu all over again". A thread (this spring) that I found extremely interesting was the thread that discussed to great length that photo of the Carnival Triumph and discounted it. That thread is probably floating out there somewhere and is worth reading before you totally accept that photo as real. (I'm not claiming it's not real, but recommending the reading of that thread.) I think it was under a title that sounded something like: "What's the roughest seas you've encountered?"

We were on the Vision the second week of October. Got diverted to San Francisco for 2 days, then Ensenada, then Catalina Island. Lots of upset people (many were from San Francisco!). We made the best of it, bought some warm sweats, and hung out. I booked the same ship, the same week, this year--it can't happen again!!

BDJam makes refererence to Golden's trans-Atlantic, fall of 2002, when several windows along Prom deck shattered, due to the ship's flexing during two rather bumpy Atlantic storms.

We were on that trip, up on Caribe deck, and had bow-slap spray raining down onto our balcony. It was bumpy, but child's play compared to:

Golden Odyssey (a 10,000 GRT ship), in China Sea, November 86, trying to out-run the back end of a typhoon. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and were told that the ship's inclinometer was pegged several times. That was rough. Halsey's 3rd Fleet lost three destroyers in the those same waters during a typhoon in 1945, capsized!

Typhoons are hurricanes/cyclones with a local name.

Michael

We were on the Sun in Nov. '99 on a 10 day Panama Canal Cruise. We were dodging rain all the way down the east side of the Carib. We had one really rainy day in Matinique. The folowing three days were okay in Grenada, Venezuala, and Curacaou. Our Island night party was the evening we left Curacaou. We were having a great time on deck. Then the sky opened and rain fell. We were on the southern edge of Hurricane Lenny all the next day. Two thirds of the ship got sea-sick. Pools were emptied and shows were canceled. We had clouds and rain all the way through the canal (good thing, otherwise it would have been really hot). Weather was great after that. That was our first cruise and we've been on two since then and will be going on our fourth in Jan. It didn't scare us off in the least.

We have missed ports of call several times due to bad weather. The Captain will take the ship someplace else rather than take a chance. We have never received a ship credit for the port charges (paid) of a port we didn't stop at, nor did we stop at another island. It was another day at sea. I suppose the most humorous was when the actors couldn't stay or stand on the stage!

In the early 80's we were on Sitmar's Fairwind (25,000 tons) and had just left the San Blas Islands off South America. Suddenly the blue skies turned dark as night and the ship began to toss unrelentlessly. There were barf bags on the railings inside and out and sand bags by the outside doors. No balconys in those days... I think 1/2 the passengers slept on deck that night. There may have been a total of 10 in the dining room for dinner (my Navy husband being one of them). Never ever want to go through anything like that again!

Sandy

Funny thing is, I have been on many cruises where the barf bags were in the stairways (not taped, just stuck between the rails). I got up one morning to do my walk and couldn't figure out why they were there, as I went to the deck to walk. Once I got outside and started walking I figured it out....I was fine, but the ship was up, down, up, down, and the spray was coming up. I still did my 2 miles, got a little wet, then went to tell my husband (who was still sleeping). We are so lucky we don't get sick...

Archived