Slow internet alternative

Aja28

Since many people have been complaining about the slow internet on the CB, I was wondering if someone could tell me if there are any internet cafes close to the ports. We are doing the Western Itin. on the CB - Ocho Rois, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Also, about how much do they charge?

I'm a worrier and like to check in with our kids at home - just for peace of mind. Thanks.

Since many people have been complaining about the slow internet on the CB, I was wondering if someone could tell me if there are any internet cafes close to the ports. We are doing the Western Itin. on the CB - Ocho Rois, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Also, about how much do they charge?

I'm a worrier and like to check in with our kids at home - just for peace of mind. Thanks.

Yes there are and I have heard of people who were sitting on there balcony onboard that were able to receive an internet signal from shore.

Not sure about the cost. :)

I've read that the costs are substantially less on land, but do not know the details.

Of course, Platinum and Elite pax have free internet (now limited) on the ship, so slow is OK when it's free. I understand that one must "buy" the internet package, then it is credited back to your account.

There was an internet cafe and place to buy phone cards and make calls right by where the tenders lines were in Grand Cayman. I didn't use the internet but I did get a phone card and called our DD. I think the phone card was maybe $5 or $10.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and there was a laptop at the bar with free internet, a signed asked you to limit it to 15 minutes.

I used the internet on the ship and emailed our DD everyday and still didn't hit $20 worth of internet charges but that was before this new company. I wonder how we will be this September.

The internet is so bad onboard that I considered smoke signals as an alternative but lighting fires is frowned upon up on the deck.

May I suggest asking a crew member where they go while in port. In most ports there are places where crew members can rent a phone and/or internet time to communicate with their familys. Prices are cheaper and since there are so many ships and crew these seem to be very reliable.

Why not use SymophoreX

The speed on Ships is also realitive to certain factoring..

Weather Conditions...amount of users.. time of day...etc...

Cost is always a factor too. You can get higherspeed on P{acket relays sent VIA the Ships Phone System too if you need that way.. with a Modem..

Cost is large but Speed is a lot better most of the times..

This can be important for youall in business aboard for when DATA needs to be sent well and fast. TIME is MONEY!;)

The internet is so bad onboard that I considered smoke signals as an alternative but lighting fires is frowned upon up on the deck.

May I suggest asking a crew member where they go while in port. In most ports there are places where crew members can rent a phone and/or internet time to communicate with their familys. Prices are cheaper and since there are so many ships and crew these seem to be very reliable.

Archived