Newbie questions - Time to show up and temps on board...

Hi-

The day is almost here for our first cruise, and we're getting pretty excited! We do have a couple of questions though, since we didn't get cruise documents, or any type of advice, hints, guidance from our TA.

What time should we show up to board? Especially since we don't have cruise documents, luggage tags, etc.? (we did print the setsail passes)

Also, what's the temp like onboard? Dining room (do you need a wrap or sweater on formal night?). Outside - do you need a sweatshirt or jacket? We're doing the Mariner Eastern route, if that makes a difference!

Thanks!! :D

We always show up around 11 or 11:30 a.m. Normally you can get on by 12 noon and the extra time sitting around isn't bad and that wy you are there in case you can get on earlier. I am normally so excited I need to get to the port as early as makes sense.

As for temps, I guess it depends on each person. I normally take a wrap and many times I never use it. I few times the A/C has been cool enough to be gald I had it with me.

I assume the Mariner eastern route is the Caribbean. Noramlly, I would say not to the sweatshirt as it is quite hot and humid.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Temps: When you first board and until the ship gets going it can be a little warmer than it will be the rest of the trip...I find the temperature just right most of the time. However I like it cool...

Departing time: Give plenty of time for parking, unpacking etc. If you want to get on early get there early...I usually arrive at 10:20 eleven at the latest, but then be prepared to wait. The cabins do not open up until 1:00 so you will have to lug your luggage where ever you go and people and luggage make for crowded situations.

Luggage usually arrives before dinner, but last time Mine was delayed, they found the evil bottle of liquor in it and of course it was taken away. So if you don't want your luggage delayed don't smuggle liquor on board, all it was is a bottle of champagne, but I learned my lesson.

We usually arrive between 10:30-11:00 am. Once you board you can go to the Windjammer for lunch. I think they start serving around noon. Then you can have some time to look around the ship and take some pictures.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Judi :)

When you arrive:

You will first take your big luggage to the luggage area where employees will take your bags off your hands. They will have luggage tags there if you do not have then, not to worry. This normally takes less than 5 minutes. At this point, you have your carry on luggage/purse/camera bag, or anything else you want to keep with you. Me? I just keep my camera bag and my wife carries her shoulder bag to hold passports, documents, and other valuable documents. Remember to give as much of your luggage to the porters as you can.

After luggage drop off:

Assuming you don't have a vehicle to park, you walk right into the port terminal and follow the signs! It's pretty close to being in an airport as far as security checks, questions, etc. You will see clearly marked signs directing you to the appropriate check in line. There will be different lines depending on the room type you have. Just like an airport - if you fly business of 1st class, you have a shorter line :) This varies from cruise line to cruiseline, so I don't know exactly where RCI draws the line for "VIP" checkins.

Checkin:

Dead Simple. Remember, they are boarding up to 3,000+ passangers in the space of a few hours, so they have this down to a science! On my 1st cruise, I got nothing in the mail, so I simply printed out all my documentation from my reservations online and gave it to them. Here is where they give you your sailing card. It's your lifeblood for the cruise. You need it to board/get off, and to buy ANYTHING on the ship. They don't take cash onboard. The sailing card charges right to your onboard account.

The normally start to let people onboard at between 11am and noon. However, you cannot go to your room until 1pm or so. This is the perfect time to explore the ship (remember, only carry what you need, check the rest into the luggage checkin at the 1st step). We always grab lunch at the buffet restaurant, which is usually the only one open. This is your time to take it all it! My first cruise was only last year, so I remember well the feeling. Go up to the pool deck, walk around! ENJOY!

At 1pm or so, just walk to your room. Your luggage will arrive within the next few hours. It will be delivered right to your room.

To my taste, the dining room and lounges are freezing. They do sell ten dollar pashmina-like wraps onboard and I get one on every cruise. I have a bunch now. It's my one thing that I do. If you don't want to do that, then a sweater is perfect.

To my taste, the dining room and lounges are freezing. They do sell ten dollar pashmina-like wraps onboard and I get one on every cruise. I have a bunch now. It's my one thing that I do. If you don't want to do that, then a sweater is perfect.

Now, THAT sounds like a good idea! :D Where do they sell them, and what do they look like??? (I've never bought one before....)

Now, THAT sounds like a good idea! :D Where do they sell them, and what do they look like??? (I've never bought one before....)

I can never remember the name of the darn gift shops, but they are by, Bijoux Turner. They also have airport stores. Everything in the stores is ten dollars. Now, it's not a REAL pashmina and their stuff is not going to last forever, but it's ten bucks!

As for what they look like, Lee and Mike have a photo of me in mine on their smugmug site. I'm the one in the middle with the bangs in my Turquoise wrap. I also have bangs. Can't confuse me with the GORGEOUS Mimikins. She's on my left. The rest of the folks are all long time CC members.

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/2861282#153569526

Luggage usually arrives before dinner, but last time Mine was delayed, they found the evil bottle of liquor in it and of course it was taken away. So if you don't want your luggage delayed don't smuggle liquor on board, all it was is a bottle of champagne, but I learned my lesson.

Did they confiscate your wafers too, Rev Smith? Ha ha. Good for you for trying.

Archived