RCL Update on Hurricane Charlie-SHIP LEAVING EARLY

NJBill

Sovereign of the Seas will depart Port Canaveral at 3:00 p.m. Friday - two hours earlier than its normal 5:00 p.m. departure. All guests on this sailing are strongly encouraged to arrive at Port Canaveral no later than 2:30 p.m. Friday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Key West, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Freeport, Bahamas.

Grandeur of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Port Canaveral, Florida, on Friday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea.

Enchantment of the Seas, which departed Fort Lauderdale on Thursday, will not make its normal port calls at Key West, Florida, on Friday, and Cozumel, Mexico, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will make port calls at Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Friday, and Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday and Sunday.

okay I understand changing course, but leaving early from a port before passengers arrive?? don't you have till 1 hour before to board. So if it leaves at 5pm you have to be there by 4pm. Now their leaving 2 hours early say 3pm. So you have to be there by 2pm. This is a major deal. Are they contacting everyone? What about plane arrangements? How can this be? I understand they dont want to be in port during the storm for damage reasons but are they going to go out to sea and come back in later in the evening to pick up others? Or will they shuttle to another port -say Miami and pick them up there?

Just thoughts.

Regardless of if RCI notified the people or not, they have to get that ship out of the path of a storm. Leaving it docked in Pt.Canaveral could tear both the ship and pier up due to high winds. The people on that cruise should have been paying attention to this storm and have planned accordingly. Of course I am sure before this is over we are going to hear of all kinds of complaints from passengers that were affected by the itinerary change on the ships.

I understand with the fact they have to pull out early. However, there are people who fly in for these cruises and they can't change their flight times. What will happen to them. It certainly isn't fair to them either, is it.

Thats why you buy insurance!

I understand with the fact they have to pull out early. However, there are people who fly in for these cruises and they can't change their flight times. What will happen to them. It certainly isn't fair to them either, is it.

Thats why you buy insurance!

Not to mention that if people have booked their flights that close to the time the ship sails, they haven't thought things out very well. Poor planning on one person's part does not constitute an emergency on another's part.

Stretch

okay I understand changing course, but leaving early from a port before passengers arrive?? don't you have till 1 hour before to board. So if it leaves at 5pm you have to be there by 4pm. Now their leaving 2 hours early say 3pm. So you have to be there by 2pm. This is a major deal. Are they contacting everyone? What about plane arrangements? How can this be? I understand they dont want to be in port during the storm for damage reasons but are they going to go out to sea and come back in later in the evening to pick up others? Or will they shuttle to another port -say Miami and pick them up there?

Just thoughts.

I guess they are just trying to be out of port before Charley and associated storms (aka tornadoes) get there. If the storm takes its projected course, I imagine that MCO aka OIA (the Orlando airport) will stop flights anyway. On the morning news 16 incoming flights are said to have been cancelled already. Also, the roads out here are likely to be clogged with folks trying to get out of the storm's way. This is a good day to leave for your cruise really really early.

Anyone flying in that close to the original sailaway time has no one to blame but themselves. They'll get no sympathy from me. We always fly in a day early and always buy the insurance, especially when cruising during hurricane season.

Well, if the passenger bought the air through RCI, they would get flown to the next port to catch up. I had a cruise where we used the RCI air and our scheduled flight got into miami at 3:30pm for a 5pm sailaway, so even RCI will have the flights book late in the day.

How can you possibly blame a passanger that booked air months ago and can't change it now for this? It is no ones fault, but sadly because of this storm, some people are going to have problems with their vacations. You people are something else...."I have no sympathy" who in the world are you and please let us know how we can all be as perfect as you, it will end a lot of the worlds problems.

Well, if the passenger bought the air through RCI, they would get flown to the next port to catch up. I had a cruise where we used the RCI air and our scheduled flight got into miami at 3:30pm for a 5pm sailaway, so even RCI will have the flights book late in the day.

Yes, RCL and the other lines do cut it that close. Just my opinion, but on such a short cruise I don't know that there would be any point to flying to the next port.

However, do not think for a minute I disagree with what they are doing. If I was one who was suppose to fly in late, I would understand why they had to pull out and I guess I would either try to spend my short time in Florida doing something else and see if I would be able to get my money back.

btw - we always fly in at least a day early, but not everyone can do that.

Marilyn

Very true. Those booked through RCI will have no choice. That's why I book my own flights so as to be early in case of bad weather or other problems.

Geesh Erie Dave, I don't claim to be perfect, but I do use some common sense. :rolleyes:

Regardless of if RCI notified the people or not, they have to get that ship out of the path of a storm. Leaving it docked in Pt.Canaveral could tear both the ship and pier up due to high winds. The people on that cruise should have been paying attention to this storm and have planned accordingly. Of course I am sure before this is over we are going to hear of all kinds of complaints from passengers that were affected by the itinerary change on the ships.

Very well said cruisingator2, if people didn't pay attention to this storm, then it's thier own fault. :D

Paying attention to the storm and being able to re-schedule a flight to arrive in Florida early are two different things.

Many of the flights to Florida yesterday were cancelled.

Most of the flights to Florida today have been cancelled.

The announcement that the ship would leave early was just made, so people didn't have much time to react.

Cruisers have no way of knowing what remedy to the storm the cruise companies are going to choose (leave early, different port, cancellation).

You should not be so quick to judge folks since they have had so little time to react.

After all, if you had a cruise planned, would you just up and travel to Florida two days early before knowing what the cruise lines were going to do about your cruise.

I THINK NOT!!!

Even in this age of cost cutting measures, I have to believe that RCI will do right by the folks who miss this trip. Carnival did give me a refund several years ago when my nephews were prevented from joining us for a cruise due to airport closures. (It was a blizzard.) My TA had to beg them for the refund, but they eventually came through. People have to get their priorities straight. The cruise line must protect the ship - so they leave before the worst of the storm arrives. People who are due to be on that ship MUST decide for themselves whether a 3 day cruise is worth the risk inherent in traveling towards a weather disaster. It IS up to them.

Several years ago we left port early out of SJU because of a hurricane. We left about 3 hours early. I realize that is a little different than Florida as many people in Florida drive to the port. But I think the ones that drive are usually the ones waiting in line as the doors open. When we pulled out early they assured us that no passengers were "left behind in SJU". They didn't pull out until the last flight landed and they had gathered everyone and their luggage. But once they had everyone and all of their belongings we kicked butt to get out of the way of the storm. The airlines were watching the storm and cancelled the later flights. If the flights were not coming in then there was no reason for us to stick around. Out of 25 cruises we have only gone down the day before on one occassion. BUT....we always take the first flight of the day (5:00 AM) out just in case of delays, etc.

I do feel sorry for anyone that misses the ship and for the people that make the ship but have different ports than they had planned. I know they are disappointed but unfortunately things like that happen. For those that are flying in, they will probably make it to the ship if the flight gets in or more than likely the airline will cancel the flights going in so there will be no need for the ship to hang around waiting for it. While RCCL (or any cruiseline as far as I can tell) is not perfect, I do think most of the time they have their act together in "emergencies" to coordinate with the airlines, port authority, etc. For the people living close enough to drive, they certainly should be aware of the weather situation and should be able to get there early enough. For those flying in, I wish them luck in getting there but I know the cruiseline and airline have safety as their top priority.

quote:

After all, it you had a cruise planned, would you just up and travel to Florida two days early not knowing what the cruise lines were going to do.

I THINK NOT!!!

Yes I would. I do plan and always arrive a couple of days early for my cruise. Most cruise ships always sail but will deviate to miss the storms so I would stil make my way to the port. Also if one has insurance then they do not have anything to worry about. Bottom line is safety for passengers and crew and to get the ship out of harms way.

How can you possibly blame a passanger that booked air months ago and can't change it now for this? It is no ones fault, but sadly because of this storm, some people are going to have problems with their vacations. You people are something else...."I have no sympathy" who in the world are you and please let us know how we can all be as perfect as you, it will end a lot of the worlds problems.

"Who are you people?"

You sound like a history teacher that I had once.

If someone booked their own air to arrive with only an hr or 2 to make it to the ship, what can I say? It's just plain dumb to do it.

cruisingater - Lucky you that you can up and go early if you choose. The fact is that most people cannot just up and go early, especially if they are flying in. First of all, can they change flights, second can they get the extra time off work, third can they afford the extra air fare and hotels now?

I think for those of your who are so unsympathic, you must live exlempary lives where everything goes perfectly and you can afford everything. I'm afraid, that for most of us, things go do wrong and some of us can't can't up and run.

For those that will miss their cruise this weekend, my sympathies. I hope you can work something else out.

Marilyn

To book a cruise during hurricane season is like gambling. It's all a roll of the dice. You might be able to sail,make all your ports and have great weather. Plus have the bonus of paying a cheaper price. Then again you might be facing what all the passengers are this week with all the hurricanes. I guess it depends on how adventerous you are. Me, I'm not that adventerous and will never book during hurricane season.

Good Luck to all of you sailing out of Florida this week. Sue

Archived