Pride leaving at midnight 6/10

fozzy

Wow, I feel sorry for all the June 10th passengers. If the ship gets in at 3:30, I wonder if they'll let them all embark as soon as the ship is cleared and ready, or if they'll fix the motor before they let anyone on? That would be even worse..

Starting to get just a -tiny- bit nervous. We leave on the Pride June 17th.. I seem to remember one of the ships having this problem a few months ago, but I don't know how serious it is or how easy/complicated to fix. Surely they won't disrupt -two- cruise groups.. probably 3 actually, I shudder to think of all the missed flights on Sunday this is going to cause. I hope they get this fixed (permanently) very, very soon.

Can anyone explain what exactly went wrong? I'm not very knowledgable on ship anatomy. ;)

Can anyone explain what exactly went wrong? I'm not very knowledgable on ship anatomy. ;)

Since the ship is showing very slow speeds, I can only assume its the Azipods

300px-Mack_Launch_010.jpg

Its an Electrical Motor and Prop in one housing, No shaft like a conventional ship.

Azipod is the registered brand name of the Asea Brown Boveri company for their azimuth thruster. These are marine propulsion units consisting of electrically driven propellers mounted on a steerable pod.

The pod's propeller usually faces forward, as in this puller (or tractor) configuration, the propeller is more efficient. In addition, because it can rotate around its mount axis, the pod can apply its thrust force in any direction. Azimuth thrusters allow ships to be more maneuverable and enable them to travel backward as easily as they can travel forward.

The new CRP (Contra Rotating Propellers) Azipod places a counter rotating azipod propeller behind a fixed propeller achieving improved fuel economy

Fred

300px-Mack_Launch_010.jpg

Its an Electrical Motor and Prop in one housing, No shaft like a conventional ship.

Azipod is the registered brand name of the Asea Brown Boveri company for their azimuth thruster. These are marine propulsion units consisting of electrically driven propellers mounted on a steerable pod.

The pod's propeller usually faces forward, as in this puller (or tractor) configuration, the propeller is more efficient. In addition, because it can rotate around its mount axis, the pod can apply its thrust force in any direction. Azimuth thrusters allow ships to be more maneuverable and enable them to travel backward as easily as they can travel forward.

The new CRP (Contra Rotating Propellers) Azipod places a counter rotating azipod propeller behind a fixed propeller achieving improved fuel economy

Fred

My Azipod hurts when I ride my motorcycle too much

Good one, Alex. :D

Fred, thank you for the lesson- I had a feeling it was what made the ship 'go'. I hope they can get it fixed quickly and all will be well for the people sailing tomorrow, as well as my own cruise coming up. If its really bad, they won't drydock the Pride will they? It would be horrible for the trip to be cancelled... I really need a vacation right about now.

Also, I checked the link you posted about the ships location. Assuming its the large red dot, it showed the ship as still being right by Mazatlan, and the text said the ship information was 2 days out of date, and the date I saw was June 7th..

I'm confused.

The tracking map shows her position at around 14:00 (ship's time) yesterday at around Isla Natividad. That seems around where she should be.

If an azipod was kaput, wouldn't she be doing a little less than half top speed (say 10, maximum 11 knots)?

My napkin calculations say she was about 400 NM out at 14:00. If she's running on one azipod, I don't see her making it before early Monday.

I may be in denial, but it appears to me that the most likely scenario is that she had to return to Cabo for a medical emergency which could explain a seven, eight hour delay.

Does anyone have any updated info from someone who is onboard?

At 11:00, Hobie posted (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10435934&postcount=6) that he saw her entering the harbor.

To get from where she was yesterday at 14:00 to Long Beach by 11:00 today, one can assume that both azipods are functional.

It's a long haul to PV so an extra knot or two will make up the difference.

Of course that's assuming that enough engines are online (it's been rumored in another thread that two aren't) or will be soon.

I, too leave on the Pride this next week. So after reading this thread, I am really nervous. To make matters worse, Cruise Critic is slow today!! I just emailed my friend that works for Carnival to see what she says. Let you know if I find out anything.

Archived