Ketchikan Misty Fjord Pics Posted (& mini-review)

SakeDad

I have just posted my pics from the Southeast Aviation floatplane trip I took in Ketchikan to the Misty Fjords. They are at (or start on page 43 of my Alaska gallery if the link doesn't work).

Review:

I showed up at the Ketchikan Visitors Center as instructed and was told by a lady NEXT to Southeast Aviation's booth that they would pick me up in the driveway in a van. After 20 minutes waiting I was about to call them when the van finally pulled in. It took us to the office where they processed our credit cards. No "good morning", "How's your trip?" nothing more than getting that charge card. We boarded the small floatplane and had our headsets given to us. There was VERY little talking by the pilot or other passengers the entire trip. We landed in a small lake for about 5 minutes and were let out to stand on the pontoons. I was not very steady on those while trying to hold a camera and get shots so it wasn't that relaxing for me. The pilot gave NO descriptions of the area or any other small talk. We then boarded the plane to fly back to Ketchikan.

The scenery was absolutely beautiful as you can see in my pics, but I sure wish I had booked with Michelle of Island Wings based on what I've read from so many here. I think I saved a buck or two and made a big mistake doing that. I did not tip the pilot and was happy to get back to Ketchikan. It might as well have been a taxi service. Oh well, at least I can warn others about my experience. I know many people here have had positive trips with Southeast Aviation. I wouldn't have booked them if I hadn't found positive reviews, but that was not my experience.

Enjoy the pictures!

Fabulous pictures as always! That little island -- was that Eddystone rock? It looks similar, but when we were there, there wasn't any land next to it --just the rock jutting up from the water. Maybe it's a tide thing if it's the same island.

We took the boat trip, but after seeing your photos, I think I'll have to spring for the flight next time.

Fabulous pictures as always! That little island -- was that Eddystone rock? It looks similar, but when we were there, there wasn't any land next to it --just the rock jutting up from the water. Maybe it's a tide thing if it's the same island.

We took the boat trip, but after seeing your photos, I think I'll have to spring for the flight next time.

As we got no conversation from our pilot:mad: I'm not sure what it was...but I loved the look of it so I was glad I got some good pictures of it. I welcome ANY comments on the pics as to what they contain as we didn't even know there were names to any of these places.

Here's the pic we took of Eddystone. Our guide told us that Native Americans used it as a burial site, and I wondered where since we didn't see any land, but if it's a tidal thing, then this would make sense.

Guides can really make or brake a trip, can't they? Well, at least you were able to enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Eddystone.jpg.c81d26b3c0fce4bd821fe3c040a8ea28.jpg

Once again, your shots are beautiful! Thank you for posting them, Nathan!

I'm sorry the tour experience wasn't what you were hoping. You did get some beautiful photos from it even though. ;) We're booked with Island Wings in August and I decided we should do the longer flight. After your comments about Southeast, I'm so glad we decided to go with Michelle.

Looking forward to your full review. Thanks for taking the time!!

Jayne

We are sailing on 9/9/07.

Cannot wait particularly after seeing your photos. Thanks for sharing.

I have just posted my pics from the Southeast Aviation floatplane trip I took in Ketchikan to the Misty Fjords. They are at (or start on page 43 of my Alaska gallery if the link doesn't work).

Review:

I showed up at the Ketchikan Visitors Center as instructed and was told by a lady NEXT to Southeast Aviation's booth that they would pick me up in the driveway in a van. After 20 minutes waiting I was about to call them when the van finally pulled in. It took us to the office where they processed our credit cards. No "good morning", "How's your trip?" nothing more than getting that charge card. We boarded the small floatplane and had our headsets given to us. There was VERY little talking by the pilot or other passengers the entire trip. We landed in a small lake for about 5 minutes and were let out to stand on the pontoons. I was not very steady on those while trying to hold a camera and get shots so it wasn't that relaxing for me. The pilot gave NO descriptions of the area or any other small talk. We then boarded the plane to fly back to Ketchikan.

The scenery was absolutely beautiful as you can see in my pics, but I sure wish I had booked with Michelle of Island Wings based on what I've read from so many here. I think I saved a buck or two and made a big mistake doing that. I did not tip the pilot and was happy to get back to Ketchikan. It might as well have been a taxi service. Oh well, at least I can warn others about my experience. I know many people here have had positive trips with Southeast Aviation. I wouldn't have booked them if I hadn't found positive reviews, but that was not my experience.

Enjoy the pictures!

Thanks for the pictures SakeDad. I have to say that I'm a little worried now though because we, too, have the Flightseeing reserved through Southeast Aviation. :eek: I hope we have a better experience. We'll let you know.

Kathryn

Review:

Enjoy the pictures!

Your pictures are beautiful-you must have quite an eye. What camera do you use?

Thanks for the pictures SakeDad. I have to say that I'm a little worried now though because we, too, have the Flightseeing reserved through Southeast Aviation. :eek: I hope we have a better experience. We'll let you know.

Kathryn

Many people have said they had a great time with Southeast, which is why I booked them. I hope you do too.

Your pictures are beautiful-you must have quite an eye. What camera do you use?

I use a Panasonic FZ20. Thanks!!:D

I have been reading these boards on Alaska for about 6 months now and this is the first negative review I've seen about Southeast Aviation. I don't know that it's fair to condemn Southesast Aviation based on just one persons opinion. I've read many, many, many positive review regarding this company. We are going next June and wouldn't hestitate to book them myself.

Those are great photos!!!

My husband and father took the same tour last week. They had a great time. They commented on how much narration there was from the pilot. I know they had one of the owners, but can't remember which one.

He even spotted a mama bear and her two cubs, so he went down to get a closer look. Same with the whales he saw.

Hopefully someone just had a bad day, I've always heard great things about SE Avaiation and my husband wasn't let down.

BTW, his photos didn't come out as well as yours :( I'm the picture taker in the family.

Archived