QM2 - Impressions from a recent crossing

vivavino

I was part of the RSVP charter from NY to Southampton on May 29. I was also on the ship before, in March 2004, when it was only a few weeks old. This will be a combination of tips, comparisons, and review. I'll focus on the Cunard parts only, since the RSVP entertainment isn't generally available.

Cunard has figured out the logistics - embarkation and debarkation went smoothly... less than 15 minutes from curb to ship, and my bags were in my room before the lifeboat drill. Always nice to know you have clothes BEFORE the ship sets sail for six days.

The ship has been maintained beautifully - it looks every bit as good as it did when it was brand new. The carpeting, draperies, every public space, I thought, was and is lovely. Literally, the only thing that looked a bit worn was the bedspread in my room, and I'll take that as a sign that they wash it between guests.

Staff are friendlier than I remember them from 3 years ago - everyone says good morning in the hallway, smiles more, seems to be enjoying their life on the ship. Portions in all the restaurants are creeping upward to, to American tastes, I think.

Tips:

Specialty restaurants, spa appointments and even those day passes for the thermal suite at the spa tend to book up early. On arrival, immediately go to Todd English, stand in line if needed, and book a lunch and a dinner, if you want to try it. Then, go back to your cabin and push the button for King's Court - and book up dinners at any of those that you're interested in.

The bad news:

I had a chance to try six restaurants on this trip, and except for my night in the Queen's Grill (my first time) there was a basic service issue in each one. I believe the dining staff is seriously under-trained, and in some cases understaffed.

BRITTANIA

My expectation for main DR food is that it should be like really, really excellent wedding banquet food - it can't be completely perfect, or custom, so it should be like the best catered meal you've had. By that standard, Brittania's food is fine. My only complaint here is that it takes too long to order wine or bar beverages - they really need more wine steward coverage.

TODD ENGLISH

You must try this at least once.... the food is stunning in its quality and presentation. It will be cooked to order, so be patient. If you leave without having the chocolate dessert at your table, go back again.

My patience ran out, however, when it came to getting a correct bill.... the server had initially charged all the drinks and cover charge to one of the guests (without asking - it was the first guest to order drinks, so he go the whole bill for the table), and we asked her to divide them up. From the time we asked for the correction to the time it came back was literally 45 minutes.

LOTUS

Beatifully presented Asian food - 8 "tapas-sized" samples served in 5 courses. There is no variation in the menu - you can opt out of things you know you won't like, but it's intended as a tasting menu, not a pick and choose.

My complaint here, too, is about the wine service. I asked if there were a recommended wine, and if the Gewurtztraminer was a good match. (I already know the answer, unless it's really too sweet, it's the preferred match for Asian food.) Neither the server, nor her backup at the bar knew anything at all about wine.

CARVERY

This was my least favorite meal - I didn't think the meat was any better here than in the main dining room. Here, the server was spinning the pepper grinder the wrong way, and explained that it operated slowly sometimes. When I showed her how to turn it, and that the grinding noise meant it was working, she was genuinely surprised to learn that.

CHEF'S GALLEY

Much less fun than it used to be - when the ship was new, they did full demonstrations of the meals, charged a cover charge and included matching wines with each course. Now, it's free, and is basically a demonstration of how to mix up a few sauces that go with a cooked dish. I was on meat night (I think it varies throughout the cruise) so it felt a lot like the carvery, but with better beef. The time went very quickly - so much so that we skipped dessert in favor of seeing the show. With a 7pm start time for dinner, by 9pm we had not yet finished the main course, so this is definintely a slow-food experience.

This was a full-ship charter, so I think the rules were different on this sailing.... I ran into some folks one evening, who invited me to join them for dinner the next evening. I asked twice - "Are you sure that's OK? I'm traveling in steerage...." and they assured me it was fine.

We walked in the Queen's Grill, my host told the maitre d' that there would be five of us that evening, and no questions were asked. I bought a bottle of wine for the table, and there was no question, even when I gave them my cabin card to pay, so by then, they clearly knew I was booked Britannia.

As for the meal in Grill, it was the same menu, but prepared on demand, instead of in bulk for a timed seating. There were also some extras - caviar, and off-the-menu ordering that folks really enjoyed. (My friends had pre-ordered duck, for example, and they were cut and flambeed tableside for presentation.) The service was flawless.

Would I pay the extra for Grill class? Probably not.... there are some very, very good deals on most sailings for the balcony cabins on decks 4 and 5. I like being lower in the ship, especially on the QM2, since so much of the action is between decks 2 and 7. I had a fine time in Brittania, and would splurge on a couple of Todd English meals when I wanted to experience full-on service.

vivavino, I see you are from Towson; we live around the corner in Pikesville.

We loved the Princess Grill service and food on our cruise last year and are booked again in Princess Grill for a 10 day out of New York in November. We are spoiled by this ship; we were loyal Royal Caribbean customers before but really enjoyed the service in the Princess Grill and Queen’s Grill Lounge. The best part is that service is perfect and unnoticeable as it should be. I hate the theme nights and performing waiters on other ships. This always seems degrading for the waiters.

steve

Getting into Queen's Grill while booked in Britannia--wow!! Just like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic, a steerage passenger who managed to spend the whole movie hanging around in 1st Class with Kate Winslet. Congratulations. Sounds like a great cruise; I really wish I could have gone on it. RSVP cruise on the QM2--a truly once in a lifetime experience.

Hi Vivavino! I am from Timonium, Maryland and graduated from Towson High.

My son Marc and I are doing a westbound TA in August and are really looking forward to it. Eating is the least of my worries. I want to dance on board. How did you like the ballroom? Did you go to the balls?

Hi Vivavino! I am from Timonium, Maryland and graduated from Towson High.

There are a lot of us around ... I lived in Lutherville and graduated from Towson High more years ago than I like to think. - now live in Colorado. Interesting review of QM2 - have not been on yet ... did cross in the old Queen Mary many years ago.

Susan

I grew up in Lutherville on Shetland Hills Drive off Charmuth. My house backed up to the Bohagers house on Seminary- if any of this rings a bell. I graduated from Towson High in 1983 and have lived in 21093 for 42 years (my entire life). Bet we know alot of the same people.

I was in Colorado Springs (The Broadmoor) and Boulder two summers ago. Loved Colorado.

For rebeccalouise -

Westbound would definitely be my preference - having 25 hour days is far preferable to having 23 hour days, especially given there is so much to do on the ship.

The Queen's Room ballroom is absolutely beautiful - the room runs the width of the ship (about 120') and about that or longer in length. That's where they serve afternoon tea. On two nights, they did a country/western dance. We had about sixty-eighty folks who danced, and the room was otherwise full of onlookers. If I had to guess, I'd say the floor is about 40x60, so plenty of room, even for that number of cowboys. :-)

And, let me tell you, I have new respect for the onboard dancers in the theatre - I'm a good twostepper, but when the path you had in mind suddenly shifts uphill, landing on the proper foot becomes a new adventure.

Right behind the Queen's Ballroom is G32, the disco. It's very high tech feel of a space, and much smaller - tiny dance floor, even. BUT - for mainstream trip, it's usually quite sufficient. Let's just say the RSVP crowd kept the staff busier and up much later than the typical crossing. I heard a rumour that it also set a record bar bill. LOL

I am right in 'downtown' Towson, a few blocks from the library and the mall; I moved here in 1980 right after college. I went to Perry Hall HS, then Hopkins, so I've been here in B'more all my life.

Hope to see you guys on board.

cheers,

David.

Vivavino-

I see you are doing the Constellation crossing in 08. Have a wonderful time. I sailed Constellation last year and it is a lovely ship. Might seem a bit small compared to the QM2 but a wonderful ship none-the-less. In fact, it is my favorite so far. But I haven't sailed on the QM2 yet.

Thanks, rebecca -

I have been on the other three sister ships to Constellation, and love their restaurants and amenities. In fact, I think the service, especially the little touches (like cold washclothes when coming back from on shore, offers of little refreshments at the pool deck) are even nicer on Celebrity's four Millenium class ships than on the QM2.

BUT - without a doubt, the QM2 is the perfect ship for a crossing. Time to explore the spaces, see the shows, try out the planetarium, etc.... And it is the most stable ship I've ever been on. Even in 12 foot seas, you barely know you're moving.

Enjoy!

I would really like to know how many Formal nights/Informal?Elegant Casual there were on the trip

Balls:- How many and which ones were they , did people actually dress "the part" or just wear whatever was the dress of the evening?

I am doing B2B crossings, and do not want to pack unecessay things, yet do not want to find that I have left at home, an outfit I could really need.

Thank you

and I was wondering how the charter went.

I met two GREAT friends down in the Golden Lion (John and Mike) who were crossing back on the RSVP charter after they did the 4 day Memorial Day 'party' cruise. Seriously the life of the party everywhere they went. They were the ones that designed the 'infamous' calling card for the RSVP crossing.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Like you, I enjoy WB vs EB crossings.

Cheers!

Morrie

winner of trivia bonus points for the most original team name with John and Mike.

For the RSVP trip, there were two formal nights, and the rest were "elegant casual," which officially meant collared sheet and anything but jeans.

After dinner, however, the tone changed considerably on "leather night" and "uniform party." (I'll just leave it at that.....)

The Cunard booklet says on a six day crossing to count on THREE formal nights, two casual, and one semi-formal, where you'd want a suit.

I always count on using the ship's cleaners so I underpack shirts, and it's ready in time for the next formal night. Since I was spending time in London afterward, I did make use of the (completely free) onboard laundry rooms. Do NOT wait 'til the last day if you have the same plan.... or you'll queue up waiting for a washer.

I am right in 'downtown' Towson, a few blocks from the library and the mall; I moved here in 1980 right after college. I went to Perry Hall HS, then Hopkins, so I've been here in B'more all my life.

Hope to see you guys on board.

cheers,

David.

Hi David (Judy, here)

Sounds like you had a great time!

Towson is my home-away-from-home; well, Nordstrom anyway;)

Steve is from Massachusetts originally, but I am a Balmer girl. Graduated from Pikesvillle and UMBC! Can't tell you the year, however, because I am in age denial.

I would really like to know how many Formal nights/Informal?Elegant Casual there were on the trip

Balls:- How many and which ones were they , did people actually dress "the part" or just wear whatever was the dress of the evening?

I am doing B2B crossings, and do not want to pack unecessay things, yet do not want to find that I have left at home, an outfit I could really need.

Thank you

I don't think this cruise is the cruise to judge by - it was a ship wide charter.

As has been posted many times, and appears in the brochure on both sides of the pond, there are three formal nights, one informal night and two elegant casual. These are observed in the main.

Matthew

No. But the idea of leather and uniform nights does have its appeal:)

Malcolm, you would have loved the Premier Cruise I took on the Seabreeze. Halloween night, I walked out of my room and started down the stairs to the disco for the costume party.

A gentleman stepped out of his room in front of me, and proceeded down the stairs. He was wearing nothing but leather. I'm not talking chaps or vest here. I am talking something from a B&D scene! (Whatever you call that leather strappy thing!) Well, he WAS wearing a leather hat!

I had a lovely view as I followed him down the stairs! (Cheeky thing he was- at least from behind! <G>)

I might have followed him anywhere! nice Body! But alas, I don't think it was me or my kind he was interested in!

All I can say Malcolm is. Ya shoulda been there!

Karie,

who liked what she saw!

Archived