What shouldn't we miss on QE2?

Norfolk Brit

I have used the search function for this with no success, and then trawled through the boards back to February. Unfortunately, at that point I lost the will to live.........

So, any chance of some kind person either posting a link to a previous thread covering this information, or the QE2 experts on here offering their suggestions for best places for sailaway, best bar etc?

Thanks, Mary

Sailaway - rather depends on the port concerned. Obviously the sun deck observation deck, immediately under the bridge is the place as they get underway, as you'll hear that magnificent whistle. In my view, the best there is.

Best bar - Princess Grill bar before dinner is lovely. If you can find it. It is very well hidden..... Deck one, forward of shop, on port side. It has a smoked glass door. If you find it, and there is room, you'll love it.

Chart room otherwise. I've heard good things of the Crystal bar, but that isn't one I frequent, as it is a bit out of the way. Ideal if you're in Mauretania of course.

Yacht Club for late at night. It's a bit noisy, but it does close last.

Avoid the pub unless you love stale cigarette smoke. It's the worst bar on the ship for that very reason.

Queens' Grill bar is convenient for a quick snifter if you're in Queens' Grill, but the Princess bar is nicer. It's also open (notwithstanding the name) to all.

Queen's Room for afternoon tea. More a fixture in the day than that on Queen Mary 2, as they don't move the time around.

Grand Lounge isn't as good a theatre as that on the Queen Mary 2, but does give you the opportunity to watch a bit from the boat deck and then disappear.

I think the boat deck is nicer than the equivalent on Queen Mary 2. In addition the rear of the ship makes more sense as you can use every deck from Sun Deck down, without being interrupted by a deck for Queens' Grill only people to look down on the paupers from. I really can't see why a separate deck there is felt appropriate - the area on the Victoria is better designed.

But the real joy of the Queen Elizabeth 2 is the ambience that she has, the tradition that she represents and the fact that you are sailing on undoubtably the best looking passenger ship in service.

Matthew

There is not much to add to what was said by Matthew, other than to agree with him. The theatre is worth a visit as well as the seats are very good for sleeping in. :D

Good point. We had a lovely snooze there during "The Devil Wears Prada".

Matthew

Of course he will. His loss.

Matthew

No loss ... I've tried it, remember :rolleyes:

Best place for a sailaway on the QE2 ..... the terminal ;)

As ever, ready to rise to the bait

Ken

Sailaway - rather depends on the port concerned. Obviously the sun deck observation deck, immediately under the bridge is the place as they get underway, as you'll hear that magnificent whistle. In my view, the best there is.

When you leave Lisbon you should be on one of the decks at the stern - either boat or upper, deck one is too low down. That way you get a wonderful view of the bridge passing overhead. You get views of Lisbon from the starboard side of the ship as you sail away - there isn't much of interest on the port side.

You want to be on the port side when you sail from Gibraltar if you want views of the Rock. The other posts I've either never been to or don't remember where the best place to be is (if there was one).

Best bar - Princess Grill bar before dinner is lovely. If you can find it. It is very well hidden..... Deck one, forward of shop, on port side. It has a smoked glass door. If you find it, and there is room, you'll love it.

It's also non-smoking:eek: It's the one bar on that ship I've never stopped in although, as part of the original PG it's well worth going to see.

Chart room otherwise. I've heard good things of the Crystal bar, but that isn't one I frequent, as it is a bit out of the way. Ideal if you're in Mauretania of course.

I'd agree with both the Chard Room and the Crystal Bar. Try and avoid getting to either just before late sitting in that other place (:p ) they both get very busy with people waiting to be fed.

Yacht Club for late at night. It's a bit noisy, but it does close last.

For "a bit noisy" read intolerably noisy! Somewhere I just can't go once the post dinner entertainment starts. My favourite place for an after dinner drink is the Crystal Bar - that's usually fairly quiet by 10-00pm.

Avoid the pub unless you love stale cigarette smoke. It's the worst bar on the ship for that very reason.

I'd agree that it's the worst bar on the ship but not because of the cigarette smoke (to be honest we go in there so rarely I've never noticed it). It is like an American idea of what a typical British pub should be; and Cunard have it wrong in almost every detail. At night it's crowded, noisy and dark. In the daytime it's crowded, noisy and light enough for you to see that it looks as if it hasn't been cleaned for months!

Queens' Grill bar is convenient for a quick snifter if you're in Queens' Grill, but the Princess bar is nicer. It's also open (notwithstanding the name) to all.

Otherwise known as the cemetery waiting room:D It's the Princess Grill Bar that's open to all, not the Queens.

Queen's Room for afternoon tea.

Make sure that you go more than once. Afternoon tea is also available in The Lido (best to avoid that place all together!) and at The Pavilion (by one deck pool - very nice in good weather).Afternoon tea is also the first meal they'll serve once you've boarded. Get to your cabin, check your restaurant table (if it's not exactly what you've asked for get straight to the restaurant for them to change it - there will be a long queue shortly after embarkation and then you'll find there's little chance of them changing anything) and then go straight for tea. This is the only time when you'll find there's plenty of space in the Queens Room and you are not too full to manage to eat something.

Grand Lounge isn't as good a theatre as that on the Queen Mary 2, but does give you the opportunity to watch a bit from the boat deck and then disappear.

That doesn't really matter - the shows aren't really worth going to so it doesn't really matter if you get a good seat or not.

One thing that Matthew didn't mention is the Gala Midnight Buffet. I would expect you to have two or three on a 14 night trip. Even if you're not hungry it's worth going to look. Take your camera as you'll probably want to take some photos. The midnight Buffet on other nights isn't really worth going to unless you want something to eat - it's only a hot dish, some cold cuts and a few puddings. Despite its name all midnight buffets start at 11-30pm and are in The Lido.

Another thing that I can't stress enough is that you must do Thomas's tour at least once.:)

I've just been thinking - the best way to experience the ship is with an experienced passenger as your guide (you'd have to pay their passage and all expenses of course:p ). I'm not sure who you could pick, I'd suggest Matthew although I doubt he'd slum it with you if you weren't in QG. I'm not sure who else to suggest - I'd volunteer but not if you've got that dratted cat with you:eek:

What is a pub on a ocean liner supposed to look like?

Are not many of the "authentic" terra-firma pubs in Britain dark, crowded, noisy, and before the ban, stinky and smoke engulfed?

Besides, the Golden Lion is the only place to get a draught, there's very good live jazz, and the trivia is held there.

Otherwise known as the cemetery waiting room:D It's the Princess Grill Bar that's open to all, not the Queens.

That's what I meant to say. Princess Grill Bar open to all, Queens' Grill Bar open to Grill.

One thing that Matthew didn't mention is the Gala Midnight Buffet. I would expect you to have two or three on a 14 night trip. Even if you're not hungry it's worth going to look. Take your camera as you'll probably want to take some photos. The midnight Buffet on other nights isn't really worth going to unless you want something to eat - it's only a hot dish, some cold cuts and a few puddings. Despite its name all midnight buffets start at 11-30pm and are in The Lido.

Good point. I quite agree.

Another thing that I can't stress enough is that you must do Thomas's tour at least once.:)

Yes, although word has it that the history is a bit off, the performance is rather better.

Matthew

I've just been thinking - the best way to experience the ship is with an experienced passenger as your guide (you'd have to pay their passage and all expenses of course:p ). I'm not sure who you could pick, I'd suggest Matthew although I doubt he'd slum it with you if you weren't in QG. I'm not sure who else to suggest - I'd volunteer but not if you've got that dratted cat with you:eek:

Hey!

You're talking about a man who has just done a transatlantic in steerage!:D

Matthew

If you can take the walking tour with "Thomas" he gives you lots of cunard history and describes many of the Cunard items on display, as a walking tour.

It can take a while, but well worth it. Thomas is a great character.

Question:

Are there occasional opportunities to sit during Thomas' tour? I REALLY REALLY want to do this on our TA (Please tell me he will be on on the Spring crossing!) But I have difficulty standing for a long time, or even walking a lot. I also have difficulty with stairs and have to go really slow, up or down. (I generally am heavily dependent upon the railings) I have read that often they will arrange things so someone not able to navigate stairs can go on ahead and meet up with the group climbing the stairs.

Unless I can find a doctor who can figure out how to treat this before April my left leg goes numb a bit above the knee when standing too long (So far, a neurologist has offered me Lidocaine patches...to make it numb!)

I think, from all I have seen and read, Thomas is probably THE highlight of the QE2! And it will be a sad day when he retires! (Hmm, German/Puerto Rican. Now that is an interesting combination!)

Karie,

who definitely wants to take this tour with Thomas. Almost more than anything else on the trip!

Question:

Are there occasional opportunities to sit during Thomas' tour?

I feel sure that Thomas would do what he could. He'll have a group and a time limit though.

Might be an idea to have a word with him - the cruise staff are by the table tennis table on the port side near the entrance to the Yacht club.

Or you could do it in parts - he usually does more than one.

But speak to him. He's a really nice man, and will do his best for you I'm sure.

Matthew

I'm not sure how many days you have, but I think Thomas takes more than one tour. You could split it up across different days. The start of the tour is located in the Midships Lobby with plenty of seating, a fair bit of time is spent here, also at and near The Chartroom Bar you will be able to have a seat if you make it known that you are in need before they are all taken. The style of the tour may have changed but you will get time to sit on parts.

Thank you so much everyone; hugely helpful in compiling my little fact pack. And yes, I realise that the ambience of the ship is the most important thing, but do also appreciate advice from you insiders on knowing where to go for drinks etc.

And thanks for the link Beth (and Malcolm, for starting the thread) - it was exactly what I had been hunting for. Would never have found it hidden away back in June 2006.

One little question (first of thousands, no doubt) - have I imagined that I read this, or are the aft cabins affected by engine noise?

Thanks again

um, whats the thomas tour???:confused:

Thomas Quinones is a long time Cruise Staff member on the QE2. He is very enthusiastic and a pretty good historian. He does ship tours for guests, pointing out various POIs (Points of Interest, as they say in the GPS world)

He is reknowned around these parts for a tour leader not to be missed. He has a dlightful sense of humor (if I did not know that already from posts here, it would be obvious from the charity video from the world cruise.)

He has also been featured in the Cunarder, the "magazine" for past passengers.

I have heard so much about him. I cannot wait to meet him!

Karie,

going on her first Qe2 adventure next april!

Thank you so much everyone; hugely helpful in compiling my little fact pack. And yes, I realise that the ambience of the ship is the most important thing, but do also appreciate advice from you insiders on knowing where to go for drinks etc.

And thanks for the link Beth (and Malcolm, for starting the thread) - it was exactly what I had been hunting for. Would never have found it hidden away back in June 2006.

One little question (first of thousands, no doubt) - have I imagined that I read this, or are the aft cabins affected by engine noise?

Thanks again

Mary, too bad you're going before me. Right now I am booked in 3167 I think it is! Pretty far aft!

Hmm, what bars am I near. No Commodore club so that part doesn't matter!

I'm still hoping to upgrade before the time comes!

I am hoping to find a floor plan with the furniture layout or maybe somebody's pictures!

Do some snooping for me, will you?

Karie,

Not a Queen, but sailing on one!

Yes, although word has it that the history is a bit off, the performance is rather better.

The performance is the reason to go:) (and the pro QE2 propaganda:D )

You're talking about a man who has just done a transatlantic in steerage!:D

Not quite steerage; more like steerage +:D

Archived