paasangers from Conquest robbed

asburyfamily

Fred,

Not to get off the topic. I just booked the Conquest with cabin 2462 and my friend has 2465. I thought your pictures were great but he wants to move higher up because he is afraid of noise and vibrations. Did you experience that?

Thanks.

We were in 2348 we heard some vibrations but that was it. The only "noise" was out of control kids running marathons down the halls after 12:eek:

you have two ships that go to ocho rios and one that goes to MB...it could happen at either side of the island and anywhere. it seems pretty isolated to me. I feel bad for the passengers, I always will do sponsored excursions - but even sponsored ones are subject to this.

I do know this, anytime I am visiting a 3rd world country - a lot of any cruise line's itineraries - I am on guard. You have to prepare yourself more mentally than anything.

I love Jamaica and will continue to go, I'm so sorry for the passengers, but for future people going, it is absolutely gorgeous and when this happened somewhat recently in Belize - it was the same types of posts. Then they had an uprising in Costa Rica - I'd still go to both places.

The funny thing is - when they had an uprising - not the attempted robbery in Belize - but a political movement in January in Belize - the ship canceled the port of call that day and everyone griped....just makes you wonder.

Fred,

Not to get off the topic. I just booked the Conquest with cabin 2462 and my friend has 2465. I thought your pictures were great but he wants to move higher up because he is afraid of noise and vibrations. Did you experience that?

Thanks.

No noise some vibration but it will put you to sleep. :D Great Cabin, I booked 2462 on the Freedom for next April and have 2465 on the Wait List.

Fred

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea this had happened.

What we did was, we took a walk out in town on our own because you will see at the Cruise Terminal these guys get very aggressive with trying to get you to get into their cabs etc. We found a cab driver out in town that was looking for something in his trunk, this guy seem nice and I had good vibes, I asked him if he was open for business and told him what we wanted to see and do, this guy said yes and only charged us 20.00 a person which compared to the Cruise excursion prices was nothing. He took us everywhere and waited for us to climb up the Falls and took us shopping too. We had a great time with this cabbie and we ended up paying him double for showing us a awesome time and also keeping us safe and alive.

Fred

We have visited Jamaica twice, but were quite dismayed at the situation when we sailed in September. After joining and leaving on our tour, we began to notice a bunch of men in pickups with fatigues and guns driving by and stopped outside the pier and at different points along our drive. Our tour guide explained that there was a police strike that day so the military was called out to keep order and safety. He also mentioned that we should be very careful, not get away from the group and should only shop in the secured shopping area at the pier. (as always in Jamaica) While we are already quite careful at this port I was terribly disappointed that I did not find out about the police strike until AFTER I was off the ship. The guide knew and said that he was sure the ship knew and I believe we should have been warned by Carnival before leaving the ship. We cruise carnival often, and it is the first time I have ever felt like Carnival was not a bit concerned about our safety or feelings of security. We should have been notified. It seems that Jamaica is becoming more dangerous in areas and thank god for the media coverage to let us know to be wary.

The guide knew and said that he was sure the ship knew and I believe we should have been warned by Carnival before leaving the ship.

We were notified by Carnival the day we hit Panama with a flyer that was placed under our door that it was very dangerous to stray away from the ship. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fred

This could happen anywhere, and it does. It makes me sad that because of an incident like this, once again, the Jamaican people will suffer.

Jamaica is my home away from home. The majority of the people are the kindest, most outgoing people I have ever met. I have been to Jamaica 5 times in the last few years. I will be stopping in OR on a cruise next month and I, just this afternoon, booked my next AI trip for December.

Now, granted, I always stay at all inlcusives and I always do organized excursions but I have never, ever, been afraid of anyone I met anywhere in Jamaica. That is not to say that I have never been offered drugs or been harassed by a very pushy vendor but I have never felt like I was in any danger.

I am very sorry that these people had to go through what I am sure was, to say the least, a very scary ordeal. But I hope the good Jamaican people don't suffer because of a few bad ones.

Hope I don't offend anyone with my defense of Jamaica and her beautiful people. I hope that there are even some people that will agree with me.

Have done Dunn's River Falls twice [done Dunn's?], otherwise wouldn't give you $4.00 for all the rest of Jamaica.

BUUTTT....Last year a non ship tour in Costa Rica? by 15 or so US SENIORS was held up by 3 men. One armed with a gun, one with a knife, and one with hard looks. One of the US Seniors, a once and always Marine, fought with the gunman...............and KILLED him. The other 2 then ran away. The local authorities, familiar with the dead perp's record allowed the entire group to reboard their ship and sail away, Justice served, case closed.

Dan

We were just in Montego Bay last month, and we had a great time! We hired a driver at the port, inside the gate. Those are the drivers who are government-approved. Our driver was named Grace, and she was wonderful! She took us all around the city and then to Richmond Hill, an old plantation home that is now used as a hotel. It's up on a hill with gorgeous views. Afterwards, she took us to the craft market, at our request, for some souvenier shopping. She waited for an hour while we shopped, and then she took us back to the ship. She was a delightful woman, and we had so much fun with her. The people at Richmond Hill were so nice and friendly, and shopping at the market was a blast! The people weren't pushy, and they were very polite and happy. We had our two teenage daughters with us, and we didn't have any trouble or feel unsafe at any point. I can tell now from what I've read since our cruise that we were very lucky, but I do think it's possible to have a good time there and be safe. We also visited Grand Cayman and Cozumel on this cruise, and Jamaica was our favorite port. Cozumel was were we felt the least safe. I hated it there and don't plan to ever return.

I would never get off the ship there. A stop in jamaica is a great day to stay by the pool while the suckers go ashore

Your are entitled to your opinion, I have memories of Jamaica and the beauty I would not trade for gold.

I am looking at a week at Sandals after being there last fall.

Your are entitled to your opinion, I have memories of Jamaica and the beauty I would not trade for gold.

Thank you mrdood.

I have a friend who says it was the highlight of their cruise and talks constantly about how she wants to go back for a land vacation. Also have friends who are booked for an AI land vacation the end of this month.

We will GET OFF THE SHIP when we are there in July on the Conquest and we have a tour guide.... and we will have fun, regardless of the negative posts here. :p

I would never get off the ship there. A stop in jamaica is a great day to stay by the pool while the suckers go ashore

It is their loss when they choose to stay on the ship in Jamaica.:(

How much emptier my life would have been had I listened to all the negative things I had heard prior to going to Jamaica for the first time 3 years ago. The way I travel has forever changed since I first visited. Now I make sure I get to know the people that I blessed to meet while on vacation. I have made many friends and memories over the years. And I am a better person for it also.

I knew before I even opened the thread that it was Jamaica...not a fan.

We are planning on Sunset Beach Resort while there otherwise would just stay on the ship. Again, this is MY personal preference and opinion. I've been there several times, first on a land vacation many years ago, and then cruise stops. Once is enough for me.

Marie

We went to Sunset Beach last Oct. and had a great time. We felt safe at the resort but that was the only place we felt safe anddid not feel safe at all after we were dropped off at the cruise terminal.

Do be careful when going back through security before getting back on the ship. You know you put your bags through the xray machine(the one I am talking about is not on the ship but in the cruise terminal area) well Jamican security was letting everyone's bags pile up. By the time they ALLOWED us to pick our bags up off the xray machine, I am talking beach and shopping bags ,it is any wonder we got all of ours since everyones look pretty much the same. The one thing I would do differently there is put all my purchases in a big beach bag and zip it up if possible. I would not carry a purse.

We went to Sunset Beach last Oct. and had a great time. We felt safe at the resort but that was the only place we felt safe anddid not feel safe at all after we were dropped off at the cruise terminal.

Do be careful when going back through security before getting back on the ship. You know you put your bags through the xray machine(the one I am talking about is not on the ship but in the cruise terminal area) well Jamican security was letting everyone's bags pile up. By the time they ALLOWED us to pick our bags up off the xray machine, I am talking beach and shopping bags ,it is any wonder we got all of ours since everyones look pretty much the same. The one thing I would do differently there is put all my purchases in a big beach bag and zip it up if possible. I would not carry a purse.

This is good info, thanks for the tip :)

We were just in Montego Bay last month, and we had a great time! We hired a driver at the port, inside the gate. Those are the drivers who are government-approved. Our driver was named Grace, and she was wonderful! She took us all around the city and then to Richmond Hill, an old plantation home that is now used as a hotel. It's up on a hill with gorgeous views. Afterwards, she took us to the craft market, at our request, for some souvenier shopping. She waited for an hour while we shopped, and then she took us back to the ship. She was a delightful woman, and we had so much fun with her. The people at Richmond Hill were so nice and friendly, and shopping at the market was a blast! The people weren't pushy, and they were very polite and happy. We had our two teenage daughters with us, and we didn't have any trouble or feel unsafe at any point. I can tell now from what I've read since our cruise that we were very lucky, but I do think it's possible to have a good time there and be safe. We also visited Grand Cayman and Cozumel on this cruise, and Jamaica was our favorite port. Cozumel was were we felt the least safe. I hated it there and don't plan to ever return.

It's crazy how opinion differs from one person to another. We absolutely love Cozumel. We have been there 7 times - on cruises and on land vacations. We never felt unsafe there. Even walking around at night just the 2 of us (both women.) So far, the only place I have felt unsafe is when we ventured out on our own in Jamiaca in downtown. As soon as we left and went to Sunset Beach we enjoyed it very much and would love to go back but not in to town.

A.

I knew before I even opened the thread that it was Jamaica...not a fan.

We are planning on Sunset Beach Resort while there otherwise would just stay on the ship. Again, this is MY personal preference and opinion. I've been there several times, first on a land vacation many years ago, and then cruise stops. Once is enough for me.

Marie

Hi Marie...I have been thinking obout Sunset Beach in Jamaica as well. Maybe we could get a lot of our group to go. I have had trouble finding how to book it on line, any suggestions? Will check with you on our forum. Char

Archived