On Voyager Now...Aft Cabin-VIBRATION!!!

I do not know when Regent will assign cabins, however, the fact that the voyage is sold out is a concern. It could mean that you would be assigned an aft suite. Yes, the vibration is very different than motion of the ship -- things rattle, rumble, etc. I love the Voyager but would not take that particular risk.

This string is particularly long -- it might help you start a new one regarding the "guarantee" suites. One of the TA's will no doubt be able to answer your questions.:)

Thanks Travelcat2. I am really concerned now. The X'mas cruise is a long one (16 days) and going through rough sea. The rattling noise will definitely make my DH upset.

I will start another post regarding the guaranteed suites.:o

Thanks Travelcat2. I am really concerned now. The X'mas cruise is a long one (16 days) and going through rough sea. The rattling noise will definitely make my DH upset.

I will start another post regarding the guaranteed suites.:o

I suspect rattling noises come with the territory, when the seas are somewhat heavy. We've encountered it in a G cabin amidship on Voyager, and an E cabin on deck 6 of Navigator. It's mainly the wall panels squeaking, being put under strain by the rolling. If this kind of thing bothers you, bring ear plugs.

Wall squeeks and glasses rattling can be caused by rough seas on any ship. It is just part of travel by sea. But these things can also be caused by the kind of mechanical shaking and vibration such as in the Voyager aft cabins -- even in calm seas. Now that's just wrong.

I remember when Captain Dag hit those rocks that damaged the pods (not that I was on the cruise - but it was big news when it happened - 2003 right?) - the ship was only a few months old at that point - SAD. But if this vibration problem is so problematic - I am shocked that Regent will continue to sell these suites, time and time again.

mp8shnt:

Yes, as an "old time" poster here like you, I recall it was sometime in 2003 -- perhaps early in the year -- when the Voyager pod struck a rock in the Med. Unfortunately, just a few months thereafter, this whole board "crashed" and lost all prior posts. So I can't tell new posters to do a search; there is nothing there! Let me try to piece the story together.

The Voyager's maiden voyage was just a few months before the accident. A number of RSSC regulars with many nights onboard RSSC ships were invited to go on the maiden voyage free (unfortunately I was not among them). Reports from this and very early sailings were that the Voyager had the smoothest ride on the seas -- throughout the whole ship, including the stern. After the accident was "repaired" (?), reports of serious stern vibration and shaking began to appear on this and other cruise boards. Subsequent drydocks seem to have done nothing to repair the problem. When all the info on the vibration and shaking is combined, it would apear that booking a suite on this ship to the rear of the laundry does not mean that shaking and vibration is a sure thing, but does mean that it is a significant risk. Parts of the stern shake like heck at higher speeds, and a smooth, following sea only makes it worse.

It is a shame, as the stern suites are beautiful, and the Voyager is otherwise a great ship.

We were on the Voyager for it's shakedown and maiden cruise, and the next year on the first two legs of it's first World Cruise. Last year we made the crossing from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale.

In fact, we did hear one report of shaking or vibration on the Voyager's maiden cruise - I'm quite sure it was when we skipped the port call in Sorrento, Italy and went directly to Athens. Capt. Dag was trying to make time, so that may have been the first time the ship, fully loaded with passengers, went at or near its top rated speed. I'm speculating about that, but I do recall some discussion from (I think) someone whose suite was in the aft sections of the ship, complaining about shaking that night. They complained it woke them up. [Added: my wife just came into the room, and she recalled that the complaint was about 'vibrations', it was made by some people sitting near us in one of the bars.] We have always gotten mid-ship low deck cabins on Voyager, and have never felt anything like a vibration ourselves, or in fact anything but a smooth ride. And that's in a total of 74 days. And except once when I was under the weather, we've eaten in the La Veranda every day we've been on board, often twice, right over the fantail, and never felt a thing, so perhaps we're just not that sensitive.

The only time I can recall any kind of noticable movement while on the Voyager was in heavy seas while crossing the Tasman Sea, and even then it was still reasonably smooth, although you knew you were on a ship. The Voyager certainly isn't as stable as the Mariner, which cruised through 100 MPH winds with 40 foot waves off the Falklands one night in the Fall of 2003, and we didn't even wake up. The captain announced it the next morning, in explaining our late arrival into Camerones (sp?) Argentina, and no one believed him, so he replayed the bridge instrument recording showing those conditions all day on several of the in-house channels.

We've been on the Navigator twice, from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of it's World Cruise, and on a three-segment repositioning from Montreal to Tampa in 2004, and we've not had any problem with vibrations there either, but we've been forward on Deck 6 both times.

I suggest Regent should include something to the effect: "At times when the ship is moving at or near its top speed, there is a noticeable vibration in the aft section of the ship. Those sensitive to vibration should reserve suites in other parts of the ship. It's relatively clear they've noticed the difference on Navigator, as they've reclassified the aft suites on deck 8 and 9 down to F, and the Deck 6 forward starboard suites with verandas up to E. Perhaps they need to do something similar on Voyager.

Count Florida:

Sorry, but I missed the account of the Voyager's stern vibration on it's pre-collision voyages. Apparently, the problem goes back further than I had thought. Probably a function of CC's losing all of its posts and data late in '03.

But whatever the genisis of the problem, there can be little doubt that it exsts today. And I certainly agree with you about the need for Regent to warn potential guests about it. We've been on the Navigator numerous times, and have NEVER experienced any violent vibration and shaking on it as we did in a stern suite on the Voyager. I know, I know that there are some who are just waiting to remind me that SOME degree of mechanical vibration is normal and unavoidable on a mechanical device like a ship. And I probably know better than they do what they are talking about. And I know that they are not talking about the "mechanical bull ride" we had in a cat. C on the Voyager.

I can't figure out for the life of me why this thing can't be fixed. Once, I was on a trip in one of our cars when it began behaving somewhat like the Voyager stern -- vibrating harshly and shaking a bit back and forth. I stopped immediately and called roadside asistance. The car was trailered to a dealer, who discovered that part of the front suspension had become disconnected! Not only uncomfortable, but dangerous as well. All covered under warranty. Do ships have no warranty?

In my opinion, every suite to the aft of the laundry room location on each deck needs to be reduced in category -- and price -- and a warning needs to be issued about the problems in these locations. No, I am not going to sue anybody nor advocate that anybody do so. But I will excercize my First Ammendment rights and state that failure to warn under these circumstances constitutes fraud, and Regent should be ashamed of itself for it's non-action in this regard.

However, I would disagree that Regent has any moral imperitive to RAISE prices on suites that merely ride as they should on a luxury ship. I feel that the raising of the category (and prices) for the deck 6 forward suites on the Navigator was most inappropriate. Is it right to raise prices merely because something works as it should?

Being booked on the voyager for the x-mas-cruise 2007 on a guaranteed H-Cabin, we are quite astonished to read about the vibration problems in the aft.

Today I mailed my TA and asked, whether he can help us to sail in a cabin forward of the laundry. He replied: "I contacted Regent and they indicated that this was a problem for a short period of time earlier this year, but that the issue is now resolved."

He offered us a category E or D for some more money. Should we consider these categories? Are they worth the extra money?

So, are there any new CC-experiences with the Voyager?

Has anybody done a Trans-Atlantic-Crossing with the Queen Elizabeth 2 during rough seas? Having crossed with the QE2 in September 2006, we had to give way to a hurricane and experienced extremly rough seas in the north atlantic. We took a route more north than the Titanic took. Our Cabin (Queens Grill, midship) was creaking and scrunching so loud that we hardly came to sleep. Is it comparable to the vibration/movement in the aft of the Voyager?

Hopefully not!

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Chris

The vibration issue is NOT resolved, so I don't know where that info came from.

Also, the vibration is totally different from a rough crossing. Possibly the best way to explain it - as I understand it - would be an unevenly loaded dryer with the suite being placed on top of it. In other words it is a consistent cycle of vibration unrelated to the seas or other movements which occurs at or above a certain speed.

It may not bother your, but only you can be the judge.

Some category H suites are not very far to the aft of the laundry room, so the vibration level there may be slight. But some "H" suites (such as on deck six) are well aft of the laundry room, and actually are contiguous to the infamous Horizon suites. These are to be avoided. Again, the further one gets toward the laundry room, the less the vibration becomes. So just one suite to the aft of the laundry room may be no problem at all.

I agree with Boatman. Regent has fixed nothing about this problem, and now is providing inaccurate information. Regent has moved from constructive fraud to actual fraud. (Now calm down everyone, I don't want to sue anybody -- as that's not the answer to the problem.) Trust me. Any suite aft of the laundry room location MAY have some degree of vibration. And as one progresses toward the stern, the chances for vibration and shaking become greater, as does the degree of vibration and shaking one may possibly encounter.

I don't know if there is an "association of TAs" or not. But if there is, it should get the word out about this situation. I fear that only when "nobldy will book back there" will Regent get serious about fixing this problem. My gosh, I wouldn't drive my car if its rear end shook and vibrated like the stern of the Voyager! Regent's allowing this problem to persist defies all logic.

We, too, were on the "shakedown" cruise and maiden voyage on Voyager in March-April of 2003 so I looked over my notes to see if I mentioned any shaking or other vibration because we were in suite 755 which is pretty far aft. Sure enough, there was one mention of vibration waking us up when docking at Parma de Majorca (sp?). I put it down to the "thrusters" while Capt. Dag was manuevering (can't spell anymore!) into the dock. But I couldn't find any other mention of vibrating and I did find an entry in my journal of missing Sorrento because of rough seas. So that's just my experience. I didn't notice vibration on our recent Norway Cap'ts Homecoming cruise but we were in 830 which is more midships.

Jean

I am going to be the dissident on this one.

I am going on the Voyager in November, and it will be the third time I have booked a horizon suite. I LOVE THEM. I have done the Baltic, the transatlantic, and now will do a Caribbean in the Horizon suites. I spend more time than the 'normal' passenger in my suite, or the balcony, especially on the Transatlantic and have never had any problem with the 'vibration' on any cruise or at any speed. I know it has been discussed many times on this board, but I would book horizon any time at all.

HomeLover:

It may surprise you to learn that I absolutely feel you are telling the truth about your experiences -- even though our Horizon suite rode like a "bucking bronc" on our cruise. It is a strange situation. Nobody can GUARANTEE that a guest will have shaking and vibration problems back there on a given cruise. But also, nobody can guarantee that a guest WILL NOT have these problems.

I don't think we have many ship engineers on this board, so nobody can give reasons why there is a problem at times and not at others. (Apparently Regent does not have such engineers either!). But it is clear that one runs a RISK in booking back there.

I know that some folks are not happy to be critical of Regent, but we were on the Voyager in 2004 and it vibrated for sure. Tried several cabins and they were all the same. Those aft were even worse. Then in 2007, in June it was even worse. Regent---you have to address this problem on that ship. Sorry for the post but it is true and you cannot avoid it.

jgn:

When the thrusters are in use for docking or leaving a dock, there will be vibration on any ship. Without a big, long explanation, thrusters cause temporary vibration, period.

That is not the kind of vibration and shaking we are talking about here. This thread is about long-term vibration and shaking in the stern suites on this ship in open seas, calm waters, and well away from the docks.

And yes, many of us have experienced it since the Voyager collided with a rock or something in the Med. shortly after its maiden voyage. Apparently sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not. And then the matter of which suites it will strike is not predictable. But a lot of guests report exactly the same problem. And (no matter what some Regent telephone rep says) the problem is not fixed.

I am not a naughtical engineer (and I expect that none of us are) so I can't offer a "fix" to Regent. But I certainly hope that Regent does employ naughtical engineers, and I think they had better get serious about this problem pronto.

I would not cruise the Voyager on a suite that is very far behind the laundry room location on the deck involved if they GAVE me the cruise.

I believe that Regent is selling Horizon suites on the Voyager as "premium priced suites" and I believe that is just fraud, as the risk of having the suite being uninhabitable due to his problem is just too great.

Regent is generally a good cruise line. It is disappointing me greatly in its failure to deal with this issue in an ethical manner. The best thing would be to fix the problem. The next best thing would be for them to downgrade these suites, and issue a warning that "excessive vibration and shaking may be present in them."

we have the opportunity to get cabin # 764... It is port side 10 cabins forward from the most aft cabin. has anyone been in this cabin??? Is anyone aware of the vibrations there???? I am not worried about the seas causing a vibration, just the idea that "for no reason" there is a vibration..thanks for any input

We are booked for a segment of the 2008 World Cruise on Voyager and are happy to have a midship cabin.

My conclusion from reading this thread is that on some sailings, at some speeds, the very aft cabins may experience uncomfortable and exceptional vibration. For this, I thank the people who have made these observations known to the CC audience.

Having said that, isn't it true that other ships and other cruise lines also have certain problems, whether it's vibration aft or anchor noise or problems emanating from what might be above or next to them? We have sailed on quite a few different cruise lines, entailing research on various ships, and it seems like "it's always something," and there are always cabins or locations to avoid. We have experienced severe vibration even in aft dining rooms on some ships at certain speeds.

It seems like one difference here may be the degree of the problem combined with the expectation of a quality product from Regent. That, plus the fact that some of these Suites are priced at a premium is not a mixture designed to foster Customer satisfaction.

If anyone is familiar with Seatguru.com and it's mapping of the good, normal and bad seats on airplanes, you might agree that perhaps some internet savvy folks could do the same for ship's cabins. Hey, Cruise Critic, are you listening?

Some CC boards (i.,e., Celebrity) have created ad hoc versions of Seat-guru ("Good/Bad Celebrity cabins"). Very useful. Someone could start a similar ongoing thread (or "sticky") on the Regent board and contributors could begin posting cabin info.

We are booked for a segment of the 2008 World Cruise on Voyager and are happy to have a midship cabin.

My conclusion from reading this thread is that on some sailings, at some speeds, the very aft cabins may experience uncomfortable and exceptional vibration. For this, I thank the people who have made these observations known to the CC audience.

Having said that, isn't it true that other ships and other cruise lines also have certain problems, whether it's vibration aft or anchor noise or problems emanating from what might be above or next to them? We have sailed on quite a few different cruise lines, entailing research on various ships, and it seems like "it's always something," and there are always cabins or locations to avoid. We have experienced severe vibration even in aft dining rooms on some ships at certain speeds.

It seems like one difference here may be the degree of the problem combined with the expectation of a quality product from Regent. That, plus the fact that some of these Suites are priced at a premium is not a mixture designed to foster Customer satisfaction.

If anyone is familiar with Seatguru.com and it's mapping of the good, normal and bad seats on airplanes, you might agree that perhaps some internet savvy folks could do the same for ship's cabins. Hey, Cruise Critic, are you listening?

What a great idea! Although it has been said that only a small percentage of Regent cutomers read these posts, those that do are the ones that are best informed. Perhaps you should start a new thread and post this idea. Hopefully CruiseCritic will go with it......if not, you'll have lots of people posting about the good and "less good" suites.

Maybe a good idea, unless it loses business for Regent for subjective reasons that are not valid. ScottnZelda, I hope you enjoy your segment of the world cruise! You can't go wrong with midships! I do go to seat guru all the time. I am told mostly about pitch, seat width (measurable), and then proximity to the gally and bathrooms and whether the recline of the seat is good or bad (red flag in the back row!). All standard suites on Regent ships are the same for each ship individually. The whole thing about vibration is subjective, not measurable, that bothers some, not others. We already have a Cabin guru just from the responses here in my opinion. No need to highlight just the negatives, as they will not be negatives to some. Info is already there for people to decide. Some people love the aft cabins, others don't because to them vibration is an issue. No doubt it is on at least Voyager, but I have a friend who wouldn't pick another cabin, though I would not. I stay mid-ship on any one of them. My quest is to be at the front of the plane getting there, with points or rewards! I know when I get on a Regent ship it is going to be GOOD! Lately, it is the getting there that is not!

There was a website that tried to put this sort of info together. I was actually offered it for purchase a few years ago.

The problem is that it is hard to sell or market negative info. As most of the cabins on a ship are pretty good, the info needed is not about what is good, but what isn't...and no advertiser is going to support such a thing.

Archived