Cunard Poll, Do we stay or move

cunardqueen

When QE2 retires will you continue to sail with Cunard?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. When QE2 retires will you continue to sail with Cunard?

• YES most definitely
    • Yes but will try other companies
    • NO
    • NO...when they sold QE2 my loyality ended
    • Not sure
    • prefer not to say

I've had no loyality to Cunard, I just liked the QE2. I felt loyal to her. She crossed, she cruised, she took me on whenever I wanted her to be the destination. Twenty-three times on to date, all grades, all dining rooms, she never failed! I will miss her when she is gone, always felt I would, always hoped she'd have a longer life past 2010.

For now I cannot imagine not sailing with Cunard in future. The QM2 does scheduled crossings now, so that's the ballgame. I was on her maiden voyage, enjoyed it enough, didn't find it a great big hoo-hah and rarely think of it now. Or her, no matter using her three times since. She is what she is and I prefer QE2; she is my loyality and passion.

I always felt the new QV may be a size more to my experience and liking. In time I'll find out.

The QE2 is something special - her classic liner line and the service on board is great.

Having sailed on her almost every year for the past 24, I have got to know her inside out - and I hold many dear memories of times aboard. Even got used to, and accept, the vibrations, creeks and rumbles of the props - especially entering port at 0500 each morning!

I have been on other cruise lines and I have to say Princess is pretty good. I have been on QM2 and look forward to siling on QV - infact I have two cruises booked on her. QM2 is special and is developing a character all of her own with the Cunard traditions still evident (although one can see the 'Princess /Carnival flavour emerging.

I look forward to the 40th Anniversary Cruise - although I was slightly disappointed to see a slightly better itinerary for the Farewell Round Britain cruise in Sept 2008.

I'm sure the competition for places on QE2's final cruises will be fierce, but every good thing must come to an end and the world must move on. I really hope those in Dubai will be true to their word and 'look after her' as they promise.

I hope the traditions of classic cruising will live on in the ships proudly bearing the Cunard name and colours. We the cruisers, and those in Carnival / Cunard management, who have loved our days on QE2 owe it her to retain and maintain the traditions and loyalty aboard her sister ships. I certainly will.

Someday, I hope I will visit Dubai and board QE2 - perhaps I will be fortunate and be able to take any grandchildren and show them this fine ship built in the land of their birth.

Our first four cruises were on Cunard. When they sold the Cunard Crown Ships (all smaller, approx 800 passengers, and affordably priced) we stopped sailing Cunard. Why? Because we could not afford her remaining ships, Sea Goddess I and II, Vistafjord, Sagafjord, QE2, Royal Viking Sun...I think that was the whole 9 yards at the time, though I could get out my brochures to check when I get home.

When we got a mailing on the QM2 Panama cruise for last January with past passenger pricing (though we had not cruised Cunard in nearly 10 years) the price was right! We had looked ,over the years at the QE2, but was scared off of it for several reasons. One was the price. Another was the lack of balconies (nothing like the sea air in your face and hair, looking out over the briny deep, gazing at the moon and brilliant stars, the smoke wafting away behind from her stacks, foam curling away from her bow in ribbons of never ending ripples out to the ends of the earth, all from the privacy of your own balcony!) Another was the fear that she was a broken down ship, not outfitted with modern comforts (And we had heard this from more than one otherwise loyal passenger- We were around when the infamous refit occured in the mid nineties that had her sailing with plumbers and carpenters and welders aboard and toilets that spewed like fountains, when they worked at all!)

So when Cunard had a product that was reliable, affordable, and with destinations that excited us, we signed up wthout hesitation. In the menatime we had sailed several other lines. None had measured up to the Cunard experience, though HAL came close. (I used to tell everyone our first four cruises were on Cunard and we were spoiled!)

I feel fortunate that we had booked the B2B (QE2 EB, 4 days in England, QM2 WB in April 08) before word was released about her retirement.

We love the QM2 and will also continue to sail on her- Though a large ship, she does not feel at all crowded to me. (though I do wish they would revamp the King's court)

A few thoughts:

I wonder how many of the 7 (presently) who gave a definite no to other Cunard ships have never sailed on QM2? We have seen a recent convert who once thought he would never like the QM2, but when given the chance and the right set of circumstances, found she was actually quite nice. Some may have had one cruise on one of the infamously bad voyages (early voyages needed some issues ironed out. Some other voyages had problems such as a few of the short cruises, in US and Europe) I hope they might give her another chance.

I also wonder if part of the allure, for some, of the QE2 is that she is unique, when uniqueness is no longer available, for the most part. It is far cheaper to make multiples instead of redesigning each ship. Look at the housing subdivisions with identical houses flip-flopped every other one, or different color shutters and door. I rue the loss of unique quirky houses with personality. By the same token, some people don't care for liking the same thing everyone else likes. They, themsleves, want to be seen as unique! (To those people, I say- You are unique...just like everyone else!)

And lastly, there is something to be said for the thought that we don't think Dubai would care about her heritage. For most of us, we think of UAE as "different" from us. But we see that there is money there, and they are willing to spend it on high quality and upscale buildings and such. Hopefully, that will be the main difference between QM and QE2 as floating hotels. They will keep up the QE2 and hopefully preserve her heritage. We forget that Dubai has a rich maritme heritage also. I've seen a ship I was on be scuttled. It broke my heart. I have also seen the results of Alang. Not pretty. I have also seen formerly ornate theaters and once-grand hotels with beautiful ballrooms end up as broken shells and Single Room Occupancy flop-houses for the down-at-the heels, their once rich tapestries and majestic curtains faded and tattered, beautiful hardwood ballroom floors scuffed and dirty, plaster cornices and stamped tin ceilings falling and chipped, plaster scarred and discolored. It isn't pretty. I do feel that her new owners will attempt to honor her past, while giving her a future.

Karie,

who remembers a thread a while back where someone quoted nearly identical complaints when the QE2 was brought on line!

The QE2 is something special - her classic liner line and the service on board is great.

I hold many dear memories of times aboard. Even got used to, and accept, the vibrations, creeks and rumbles of the props - especially entering port at 0500 each morning!I

Yes! I love to lie in bed and night and listen to the creeks. And when the engines change speed and the ship vibrates, I put on the TV and watch the ship's speed change. I love having that sense of the power of the ship.

My cruise future is in Cunard's hands. If they insist on charging me 175% or even 200% for single occupancy then I am sorry to say, I can't afford to stay with Cunard and will have to look at other lines such as P&O :eek:.

I want to stay with Cunard, but not at any price.

I totally agree. Maybe Cunard think this is the opportunity to dump their single passengers. Hope I am wrong.

I have with some reservations booked a cruise on P&O's Ventura in March 2009 where the single supplement is only 140%.

All I meant was the views that you have expressed so often are those of the Cunard passengers who make up the majority of the cruise customer base.

Matthew

Mathew

Ken's views on the QE2 (She is too old, somewhat scruffy and should be scrapped - I think that is near to his opinion as stated on these boards) is surely not the view of the majority of Cunard passengers. She would not be so popular if this was the case. Most Cunard passengers have a great affection for her and are sorry she is finally going out of service.

David.

Mathew

Ken's views on the QE2 (She is too old, somewhat scruffy and should be scrapped - I think that is near to his opinion as stated on these boards) is surely not the view of the majority of Cunard passengers. She would not be so popular if this was the case. Most Cunard passengers have a great affection for her and are sorry she is finally going out of service.

David.

David, (and others)

I think Ken has tried to play counterpoint to those who have gone overboard in the other direction.

I suspect for some she is like a very worn and torn pair of jeans <GASP> (yeah, I did that on purpose) that are really, REALLY comfortable. Ken doesn't hate the QE2. nor does he wish ill upon the ship or her history. He has been playing devil's advocate (IMHO) to give a bit of balance. Yea, sometimes it got a bit devilish. But honestly, when she's still around,. it's easy to play with people's "gods" but now that her demise (as she exists today) is imminent, he is staying quiet and respectful. Every 5 year old hates their Mommy when they're being punished. But when Mommy's sick, they don't feel that way. Have you ever had a pair of shoes that your toes wore a whole in, but you can't give them up? Ever had a shirt so threadbare with patches on patches, that's your fave, and so comfortable? almost like an old friend? I have. You want to bronze it when there's finally not enough fabric left for it to be practical.

Ken has been most respectful of the Queen and her fans since this announcement. Lets not get into a tiff (and I'm not aiming this at you, but anyone that might want to start a row or "get back at him" ) Let's leave it alone shall we?

Thanks,

with deepest respect,

Karie

I totally agree. Maybe Cunard think this is the opportunity to dump their single passengers. Hope I am wrong.

I have with some reservations booked a cruise on P&O's Ventura in March 2009 where the single supplement is only 140%.

I am happy to pay 140% or even 150%, for a double cabin (since single cabins seem to be a thing of the past). But I will not pay 200% I would rather take someone with me for free. (No thats not an open offer :D )

I guess we will have to wait until April 2008 or their abouts to find out what is on offer in 2009 and at what price.

David, (and others)

I think Ken has tried to play counterpoint to those who have gone overboard in the other direction.

No one is going to "get back at him", we can surely respect others views that are different to ours, and Ken has sensibly kept out of the debate which is a bit emotional for some people.

Asking people "not to get in a tiff", when they havn't, is just what tends to make them do it.

David.

Archived