Cunard Poll, Do we stay or move

cunardqueen

When QE2 retires will you continue to sail with Cunard?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. When QE2 retires will you continue to sail with Cunard?

• YES most definitely
    • Yes but will try other companies
    • NO
    • NO...when they sold QE2 my loyality ended
    • Not sure
    • prefer not to say

.... Of course its only bit of fun to judge the feeling amongst everybody. And the answers are not binding!!! But if you want to add your reason please do so by all means

cheers

Myles (who went into mourning on Monday)

With the news that QE2 has been sold. How many of us passengers will stay loyal to Cunard or is it time to make a break and go and try somewhere else

I will stay with Queen Mary 2 for crossings. There is no other option, and in any event I regard her as a great option in this context.

I'm sure we'll try Queen Victoria. However my maiden voyage is definitely off - I'm not spending time and money there when Queen Elizabeth 2 is still sailing, but with very limited time. I have changed my mind back and forward, and had come to a settled view that I wanted to do it, but the news about Queen Elizabeth 2 made a final change of mind inevitable. I've talked at length about this with some people off the board, and would be quite happy to discuss this with those people via email.

I'm tempted to try and get my mother to cruise on Saga, so that I can experience the Saga Ruby and Saga Rose. I've a while before I qualify on my own terms. For those that do, I would have thought that this would be a good option.

Myles - the number of people who will abandon Cunard are very small. As such, Cunard will not lose sleep over them. Much as we disagree with him, Ken C probably represents the mass market approach to ships. Cunard know that.

Matthew

I find myself in agreement with Matthew.

Cunard will not lose sleep and most Cunarders will be saddened but move on. We Cunarders have the QM2 - sure, she's not the one-of-a-kind QE2 but she's the one-of-a-kind QM2. Cunard will continue to have what it does best - a ship for transatlantic crossings.

Cunard will also have other ships for other purposes of which Queen Victoria will be one of. Will any of these ships manage to reach the icon level of the QE2? Probably not but lets remember that Cunard never disappeared when the original Queens Elizabeth and Mary were mothballed.

I will likely still continue to sail with Cunard and mix it up with other cruise lines from time to time.

David

I must admit the demise of the QE2 has somewhat thrown me!! I've never been on any other ship :-) and will have been on the QE2 10 times by the time she leaves next November so changing my ways will be tricky.

I guess I will try both QM2 and QV, it is interesting how many people are dead set against QM2 and also how many are dead set against QV. How many of the QE2 fans like the QM2 and for those that don't what is it that you dislike. Just interested really for future bookings.

I would be interested in knowing whether the QM2 or the QV is likely to be the new place for the refugees of QE2 who stick with Cunard. Also what are the other lines that people are considering? Bearing in mind that I am 26 and have a 3 year old daughter (although we travel with my mother who is over 50) Saga doesn't seem to be a good option - I guess they don't have children's clubs!!! :o

P

I will stay with Queen Mary 2 for crossings.

My problem is I've no real wish to do a crossing. If I can get a cabin on QE2's final B2B in 2008 that will satisfy my transatlantic crossing lust for another 10 years! I would still try QM2 but it would be for a cruise.

I'm tempted to try and get my mother to cruise on Saga, so that I can experience the Saga Ruby and Saga Rose. I've a while before I qualify on my own terms. For those that do, I would have thought that this would be a good option.

My parents tried SAGA last year. One's 78, the other's 80 and even they said they seemed like some of the younger passengers!

I do not know. Right now all my enthusiasm is gone. It is a strange kind of feeling.

Years before I actually sailed with her travelling on the Queen Elizabeth 2 was my picture of an ocean voyage.

Nevertheless my first experience with Cunard was the Vistafjord/Caronia and I really loved her. Both, she and the Queen Elizabeth 2, were different but represented everything what cruising (or crossing) should be in my opinion. Real ship outlines, elegant interiors, formality, high level of food and service and so much more.

Than Carnival took the Caronia away from us, now they take the legendary Queen Elizabeth 2 away and let her become an "retail and entertainment destination".

Oh, they give us a Vista-class box as can be found in many other lines with an abundance of casual nights, shops in the Queens room etc.

So far I've received every Cunard brochure and mail with great anticipation. There was always the planning which cruise could be the next.

Now - well the prices for the Queen Elizabeth 2 will probably be forbidding for me (okay, I am spoiled, I prefer the Princess Grill but can only afford it when the single supplement is reduced) such that I might not even have the chance to say good bye.

And these other ships - well, yes maybe if the price, destination and time are right, but there is really no looking forward, not these enjoyable tension, this longing to be there. I just had to do a Cunard cruise at least once, but that feeling is gone. No special connection anymore.

I am going to be a little sacriligous here............ I actually prefer QM2. So I will definately be travelling Cunard for a lond time to come. I cannot understand the hysterics going on at all. We all know QE2 would not be Cunard come 2010, we get the message she is leaving the fleet in 2008 and all hell breaks loose!

I am 50/50. I have 2 voyages booked on QM2 and 1 definate, hopefully another on the 27th booked on the QE2.

Time moves on. We are lucky that shipping enjoys the longest lifespan of mass transportation, and equally lucky that QE2 has lasted this long.

I cannot understand the hysterics going on at all. We all know QE2 would not be Cunard come 2010, we get the message she is leaving the fleet in 2008 and all hell breaks loose!

I've seen very little 'hysterics'. Disappointment certainly - and shock when an end that has been long anticipated finally arrives. As for 2010, Marlow was quoted under a year ago saying that they thought it should not be too much of a challenge to make her compliant.....but I guess someone made them an offer too good to refuse - I have read elsewhere that her scrap value is around $20 million - so they've done very well, making money to the end. Sam Cunard would be proud.

Peter

Although I would like to have sailed on the QE2 (and may somehow manage to fit her in yet), the unique design of the QM2 and the transatlantic schedule she offers is enough to retain me as a repeat customer. Now, if they would just get the QM2 back to a midtown Manhattan departure ... !

The age of the QE2 was a double edged sword. On one hand she enlisted the loyalty of a sizeable number of repeat passengers, but on the other side, based on reviews I have read, her age may have turned away a number of other passengers from repeating business with Cunard due to their perception of her older appearance and condition versus the money they paid.

When I was watching the QE2 sail by, from the rail of the QM2 last April in Southampton, a woman who had just transferred from the QE2 world cruise to the QM2 transatlantic was at the rail next to me and made a comment to the effect that the QE2 was definitely in need of the refurbishment to which she was heading. The tone in her voice indicated she was unhappy about the condition of the QE2, although I did not engage her for more details because of the moment passing in front of us.

As an icon at least, the QE2 had an exciting presence as she sailed by the QM2. For someone whe never sailed on her, she will be missed for that reason alone.

Paul

I really love the QE2...she is the last of the great ocean liners of the 20th century.

When Carnivore bought Cunard it infused a great deal of needed cash for QE2's upkeep. Saying that QE2 did not fit into Carnivores business plan & the brand itself was most likely the aim.

Anyone that sailed years ago on the French Line, Italian Line & Cunard appreciate what QE2 represents. I was hoping to do the 2009 world cruise on QE2 - but I will not consider QM2 or the QV.

Things change & life goes on...but for the life of me I do not understand why Arrison did not preserve QE2 as a museum in Southampton or NYC. Carnivore certainly has earnings taht could support such an effort. Even the Queen Mary is lost in Long Beach. There is no room for humanity in business these days & Carnivore is a splendid example of that mentality.

Will I sail Cunard again...most likely not...it no longer exists!

i haven't sailed on qm2 yet but was going to make it my next cruise anyway. it's sad to see qe2 go but go she must. you can't make an icon overnight so obviously you can't say qm2 won't become one.

one thing i'm glad about is that i booked this cruise in the first place and was not put off by some of the posters here and booked a lesser ship because of the little one. now he can say he's been on her even though he won't remember.but my wife will, i can promise her that.

you all enjoy her while she's still here, they can take the ship but not the memories. i've just bought a 4gb card for my camera. it now takes 2000 pictures straight off and i don't intend to have one spare one left when i say goodbye.

regards to you all,

glenn.

ps, i must say the victoria is a very very exciting prospect to me as is qm2.

I voted that I would still always sail only with Cunard.However all the future Cunard sailings be it a cruise or crossing will be only aboard the QM2.I have absolutely no interest going aboard the phony cookie cutter Queen,Queen Victoria.I have done 9 cruises aboard the QE2 to either Canada/New England,Bermuda,Caribbean and in January 2006 I did the first segment of the QE2's World Cruise from New York to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal.I have not done any transatlantic crossings aboard the QE2.I have been twice aboard the QM2 in June,2004 and March,2005 both QM2 voyages were cruises to the Caribbean and my first transatlantic crossing aboard any ship will be aboard the QM2 next October 19,2007. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

My Cunard loyalty, dating from 1985, actually started to erode when they sold Caronia without replacing her with a ship of similar size and ambiance.

My only experience with QM2 was far less than satisfactory, although I recognize that many of her shortcomings were probably teething problems. While they may have solved these, they can't change the fact that she carries 2700 passengers, has no single cabins, and a high single supplement. I also think the Kings Court concept is poor and that the design of the Britannia Dining Room, with all food coming from galley at one end of this very large room making it difficult for servers to provide the expected Cunard service, no matter how hard they try.

As for the Victoria, if I want to sail on a Holland America Vista Class ship, which Victoria will be, I'll sail on HAL. The "cookie cutter" concept of ship design makes a lot of sense for Carnival from a cost standpoint, but window dressing doesn't make for distinctive ships. Sort of reminds me of the automobile industry's long-time practice of building multiple brands on common platforms.

Hope Cunard does something in the future to change my mind, but won't hold my breath!

I will stay with Queen Mary 2 for crossings. There is no other option, and in any event I regard her as a great option in this context.

I'm sure we'll try Queen Victoria. However my maiden voyage is definitely off - I'm not spending time and money there when Queen Elizabeth 2 is still sailing, but with very limited time. I have changed my mind back and forward, and had come to a settled view that I wanted to do it, but the news about Queen Elizabeth 2 made a final change of mind inevitable. Matthew

This expresses exactly how I feel, Matthew. I voted Cunard/try others. Actually, I have tried some others. Nothing comes close to the Cunard/QE2 experience. So while I can, I'm directing my travel budget to QE2.

We often cruise with friends and have been worrying that each time on QE2 would be the last. Turns out our '08 Med will be. We've talked about other cruises, and figure QV will be around for a while, so we don't have to rush to try her. We did a QM cruise in her first year, and a transatlantic. So been there, done that, wouldn't object to doing it again.

When QE2 sailed out of NYC, I got spoiled. We could get from home to the pier in an hour or less. No flying, no possibility of lost luggage. And Cunard often had good discounts. My problem with QM2 is that her NYC departures are so unvarying. She does pretty much the same Caribbean cruises all winter, plus transatlantics in the summer. Toss in a few Canadas and 4-day quickies and that's the New York opportunities. World Cruise segments require long flights, and I'm not sure I could stand to do that.

We'll get around to QV one of these days. Might follow Caronia to Saga, but Saga looks expensive. (Don't mind the older crowd, it just makes me feel comparatively young)

We are really unsure what to do regarding this subject, I think part of the draw of the qe2 to us was her size, we have been told by a close friend that sailed recently on the qm2 that the qm2 is way too big very impersonal and the standard of service wasnt as good as on the qe2. We are doing the tandem crossing in jan 2008 on Mrs Brown only because when we booked onboard it turned out that Mrs Brown was cheaper than the qe2 ! We really dont fancy the really large sized ships, so if we like her or not seems we are gonna be stuck with the rather unattractive QV (on the outside that is! )Last thing, on the qe2 you felt like you were on a ship, something unique and part of a legend, not something that looks mass produced bit like a ford fiesta !

I have sailed 4 times on QE2 in the mid to late 1980's as well as twice on the new QM2. The QE2 holds a very special place in my heart for the wonderful memories I have, and it breaks my heart to see her go.

However, I love the QM2 and she is a true liner. Yes, she is different. People tend to forget that the QE2 was not well received by many of the fans of the first queens. QE2 was a hybrid for crossings and cruises, same for QM2.

Times change and Cunard must keep up to passenger expectations. I do wish that the QE2 could have stayed in the UK or the US. I just hope that they see fit to order an new liner as unique as QM2, only smaller.

Rick

Well, yes, of course, I shall continue to sail with Cunard.

However, "cruises" on the QM2, is not my idea of fun.

So for ta's it'll be the QM2 if I want to get there in a hurry ... any other destination the QV.

Considering I have a 51 year history with the line, I'm not liable to give it up.

The QE2 has been special for us but, as with with so many aspects of life, change happens. We don't enjoy the sheer scale of the QM2 and lack of 'quirkiness' that really does make the QE2 what it is, but if we want to do a TA then that's the choice. Whilst QV will look the same as many other Carnival ships, the real challenge for Cunard is in how they fit it out and operate it. We'll see how it settles down and may well give it a try.

Gavin

My cruise future is in Cunard's hands. If they insist on charging me 175% or even 200% for single occupancy then I am sorry to say, I can't afford to stay with Cunard and will have to look at other lines such as P&O :eek:.

I want to stay with Cunard, but not at any price.

.... Much as we disagree with him, Ken C probably represents the mass market approach to ships. Cunard know that.

Matthew

How predictably pompous!

I have kept a respectful silence on this issue so please keep me out of it.

Ken

Ken

Ken

Whats your thoughts with this weeks news? Are you not somewhat sad to hear of her departure?

Your silence has been noted on this issue.

Cheers

Myles

How predictably pompous!

Ken

Ken,

I meant no disrespect. All I meant was the views that you have expressed so often are those of the Cunard passengers who make up the majority of the cruise customer base. Malcolm, Matthew and Myles, together will others who are vocal on this subject are in the minority. Call us dinosaurs if you like. I for one would almost take pride in that.

I have noted your respectful silence, which I for one have been grateful about.

Best wishes,

Matthew

Archived