Venice Transfers-a Week To Go-help Please

I have stayed at the Westin Europa Regina on Venice and did not want to deal with dragging luggage all over or paying for $$ water taxis. It has all the amenities of a US Marriott. The front desk help was very good. See our review on tripadvisor. Have a great trip!

Next month I'm traveling with a senior (parent) who is still quite sprightly and we travel light. One roller bag each. We're also staying at the Westin Europa and will depart on the Silver Whisper which I see is planned to leave from Berth 27.

I'd like to hear more about low cost ways to get from the Westin to Berth 27 as well as how difficult the walk is from Piazza San Marco (where the VCE airport boat arrives).

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for all the input.

I am not trying to bash my travel agent, I was just looking for confirmation as to whether this was too expensive or not. All the planning I have done is on the Barcelona and Rome portions of the trip. But an example of what he has done is booked us one room in a hotel that does not sleep 5 people and we are traveling with three kids. I only found this out with my own follow up investigation.

My concern now is this agent booked us the train tickets out of S. Lucia. Can that only be reached by water taxi? Can you make reservations for a water taxi? He knew what station we were going out of and wanted to book us a $250 limo or a $180 van. Is there no way to get there by land? It looks only to be a mile or to from the pier. I checked and I belive we are at berth 107.

Thank you again for all the help from everyone.

Martodd,

I don't know where "berth 107" is but I can tell you that the Santa Lucia train station can only be reached by water. What train to Rome are you booked on ? An Eurostar? The trains that originate in Santa Lucia also stop in Mestre. So, if your dock is closer to Mestre, then I would have a land taxi take me to the Mestre station and board the train there. You can confirm that in the http://www.trenitalia.it website

Hi,

If you give me the date and time for your train I'll check for you if it originates in Santa Lucia and if it also stops in Mestre.

You should have your Travel agent do something useful like finding out where is this dock were you are arriving at ,and if it's closer to Santa Lucia or to Mestre train station.

Hi,

If you give me the date and time for your train I'll check for you if it originates in Santa Lucia and if it also stops in Mestre.

You should have your Travel agent do something useful like finding out where is this dock were you are arriving at ,and if it's closer to Santa Lucia or to Mestre train station.

For Venice, this link has information as to which berths are allocated to particular sailings. A port terminal map appears on a different page.

http://www.vtp.it/pages/calendario/calendarioFiltri.jsp?m=6&r=N

Hi Globehopper,

That's a great website. Based on it, the ships that dock on berth 107 ( e.g.Millenium) are 10 minutes from Mestre train station via LAND taxi or you can get to Santa Lucia train station via WATER taxi or vaporetto.

Ok- here is the thing. When you get off the ship- you can take a taxi for a few blocks literally to Piazzle Roma. Then you will have to walk with all your luggage over a bridge, wade thru foot traffic to get to the Train station in Venice proper. It isn't a long distance but when you have to drag you luggage up steps it is a bit daunting of a task.

So yes the station in venice is very close.

Best to get a taxi from the ship and they will take you over the causeway to Venice Mestre station. This is cost more but be way easier. I suspect a taxi there will run about 20 Euros but is going to be the best way to go.

Martodd,

I don't know where "berth 107" is but I can tell you that the Santa Lucia train station can only be reached by water. What train to Rome are you booked on ? An Eurostar? The trains that originate in Santa Lucia also stop in Mestre. So, if your dock is closer to Mestre, then I would have a land taxi take me to the Mestre station and board the train there. You can confirm that in the www.trenitalia.it website

Thank you for the help. We are originating at the Santa Lucia that then continues to Mestre. Our travel agent said we are best to go out of Santa Lucia as planned. He has booked a water taxi for us. I know it will be expensive but feel it is best with the kids, and hoping to all stay together. Thank you again for the help!!!

Has your TA explained why you need to board in Santa Lucia?

With all due respect, your TA is not making a lot of sense. She is costing you major $$$'s. You could board the train in Mestre and get there via a regular cab. But obviously that's your call.

Have a good trip!

The trains have two classes. Perhaps you get better seats, if you have 2nd class if you board in St. Lucia rather than Mestre. Otherwise, it makes no sense. If you book 1st class seats, and the cost is not that much difference you have a guaranteed seat. Linda

a water taxi is way expensive but would be easier to the train station if it has to be Santa Lucia. The water taxi ride will be really short and $ 180 is absurd. Once you get to the train station- you will be met by a little man who will help lift your bags off the water taxi. Guess what- he is not affiliated with the water taxi. He is just a man who will insist on carrying your bags into the station for you. Once you get inside- he will ask you for 20 Euros. If you say no- he will get indignant! It was scarey.

So tell your husband that if anyone tries to help with the bags- besides the water taxi driver- say sharply "NO THANK YOU!"

See if you can leave out of Mestre because it will be much more convenient and cheaper.

Well, I was happy to see the "little man"! LOL!!! We were 7 people ( including my not so young parents)with a lot of lugagge and that was the best 20 Euros I ever spent in my life. They spared me from having to haul the luggage over all the steps in front of the Santa Lucia train station and then up into the train. Our suitcases were the first ones placed in the racks and we didn't have to fight the hordes waiting to board the train with their luggage.

OOOH! I hope there is a little man at Mestre when we go! I saw that you can prehire a porter in Rome to help with your bags but not in Venice. We are flying over on Virgin and they allow 3 checked bags each. I think we'll have two each plus a hang bag and carry-on so it is alot. We are 4 days in Italy and then board the ship for 16 days.

I suppose if you want help with your bags- that is one thing. In my case- I had one suitcase and a strapping teenage boy with me. I didn't need the help. He carried one bag- basically against my will- and then tried to charge me 20 Euros to buy it back. He pitched a hissy fit when I tried to give him 5 Euros. My son to this day can't believe I paid him the 20. In hindsight- I will stand up for myself in the future.

Maybe you think 20 Euros is reasonable- but when you pay 45 Euros just for the taxi ride- you don't want to spend money that isn't necessary. Anyway, I tip- just not that much!

Hi Globehopper,

That's a great website. Based on it, the ships that dock on berth 107 ( e.g.Millenium) are 10 minutes from Mestre train station via LAND taxi or you can get to Santa Lucia train station via WATER taxi or vaporetto.

Cruiseluv,

You're welcome.

The internet has made my trip planning so much easier than before (dark ages, ie. pre internet days). :D

Archived