Need help tying a bow tie

MHF

To go with my DH's new tux, I purchased him a bow tie, not pre-tied, for Christmas.

Despite a book and several printouts from various websites, we have been unsuccessful in getting it tied.

Does anyone have a failsafe method for tying a bow tie, especially directed for the left-handed?

THANK YOU !!

Melissa

To go with my DH's new tux, I purchased him a bow tie, not pre-tied, for Christmas.

Despite a book and several printouts from various websites, we have been unsuccessful in getting it tied.

Does anyone have a failsafe method for tying a bow tie, especially directed for the left-handed?

THANK YOU !!

Melissa

Experience, that's all.

Just keep at it.

They say it's just like tying your shoes. In a way, that's true, just more aggravating to learn! :eek:

It is worth the trouble to learn though. I learned from a print-out, and kept trying and trying until I got it good enough. :rolleyes:

Don't go for perfection, you'll only get yourself upset. :p

There are various instructions on the internet. Look for one whose picture replicates how this will look when you tie it using a mirror.

Also, the key is to practice and practice and practice.

It is hard but like anything in life the more you practice the better you get.

Keith

You have probably seen this site already, but just in case...

http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cuhags/whitetie/howtotie.htm

Steve has foolproof instructions someplace, I'll try to find the link for you. He tapes the paper to the mirror so he can read and watch what he is doing at the same time.

There is always a Plan B -- if DH is planning on wearing this tux on a cruise, just ask the cabin attendant if they know how. I'll bet they do or they will find someone who does and they will certainly help.

One last idea I had, which was our plan C, was to go back to the store and ask the salesman to please show him how to tie the tie. That was the incentive he needed to figure it out himself. Sort of like asking for directions pre-GPS days:)

--Judy

PS Just noticed you were from Maryland? Where? We're in Baltimore. The Nordstrom in Towson has a great men's department and they are very helpful.

You have probably seen this site already, but just in case...

http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cuhags/whitetie/howtotie.htm

Steve has foolproof instructions someplace, I'll try to find the link for you. He tapes the paper to the mirror so he can read and watch what he is doing at the same time.

There is always a Plan B -- if DH is planning on wearing this tux on a cruise, just ask the cabin attendant if they know how. I'll bet they do or they will find someone who does and they will certainly help.

One last idea I had, which was our plan C, was to go back to the store and ask the salesman to please show him how to tie the tie. That was the incentive he needed to figure it out himself. Sort of like asking for directions pre-GPS days:)

--Judy

PS Just noticed you were from Maryland? Where? We're in Baltimore. The Nordstrom in Towson has a great men's department and they are very helpful.

Hi JUdy (insert waving hand here)

We're in Germantown so typically head to the Nordy's in Montgomery Mall or over in Tyson's.

And thanks everyone for the hints! The YouTube is a great idea we have not tried before.

We are test driving the tux this weekend and I have packed BOTH the pretied and the regular tie !!

Melissa

THANK YOU !!

Melissa

First, congrats to DH on owning a tux and especially congrats on choosing a self-tie tie to go with it. You'll easily learn to tie the tie and it will look SOOOO much better. In fact you don't want the tie tied so "perfectly" that it looks pre-tied. A bow tie that is slightly askew and out of balance gives you that certain insouciance that makes you look like you're comfortable in your clothes.

All that said, here is a great video showing how to tie a bow tie.

http://www.cravateroyale.com/bow_tie_instructions.php

Archived