Mauretania Restaurant

FuranzuMaru

Could anyone advise me how noticeable rough sea condions are in Mauretania compared to Caronia? Thanks in advance.

I have been onboard in some quite rough seas and never noticed any problems. It's only one deck higher than the Caronia, so should be about the same.

I have been onboard in some quite rough seas and never noticed any problems. It's only one deck higher than the Caronia, so should be about the same.

I remember a crossing quite a few years ago - the weather was so bad they didn't set any of the tables, they could only bring you the implements you were actually going to eat that course with and the plates only stood a chance of staying on the table if they poured water on the cloth first! I wasn't in the Caronia then and so can't comment on how stable it was (although I remember they still held their midnight buffet in the Columbia (as the Caronia was then) and it wasn't too unstable:) ).

From the perspective of stability I'd choose the Mauretania - It could be much more fun:D

But Mauretania is much more forward on the ship than Caronia. On this year's winter crossing, the pitching was very noticeable in Mauretania.

I agree with Kyle - thats why the Caronia is the old First Class restaurant, the Mauretania the old Trans Atlantic Class - pay more, get better location.....tho it will be interesting to see how the Grills fare on the QV - midships (good) but high up (bad).

Peter

Could anyone advise me how noticeable rough sea condions are in Mauretania compared to Caronia? Thanks in advance.

I was in Caronia for the 2007 QE2 full world cruise and had lunch a few times in Mauretania. The only difference is not the rough seas but the service in Mauretania which is rough around the edges, to be kind.

Well, in theory Caronia should be more stable since it is far, far more forward. Whether there is a difference in practice is much harder to say.

As for service, last year I had awful service in Caronia (and I do mean awful). Of all the people I spoke to on that crossing (excluding the ones at my table of course), nobody else had poor service, including lots of people who dined in Mauretania.

I do greatly prefer the decor of Mauretania, though it's not as spacious as Caronia.

What Caronia has is single seating and the potential to get a much nicer cabin (though that does not mean all Caronia cabins are nicer than all Mauretania cabins, just that the nicest Caronia cabins are nicer than the nicest Mauretania cabins). Single seating is enough to make me choose Caronia but otherwise I would never even consider it.

Well, in theory Caronia should be more stable since it is far, far more forward.

? Mauretania is forward of Caronia...

...I agree with those who have had few problems with service in Mauretania - the wait staff tend to be younger, which can mean more enthusiastic - best service I've had on any Cunard ship was in Britannia on QM2 this month....

Peter

I was in Caronia for the 2007 QE2 full world cruise and had lunch a few times in Mauretania. The only difference is not the rough seas but the service in Mauretania which is rough around the edges, to be kind.

I was in the Mauretania on a Med cruise but usually had lunch in the Caronia when we were in port (the Mauretania being closed at lunchtimes then) The waiters seem to be a mix from both restaurants on those days and the service varied with the waiters, as it did at breakfast. Our assigned waiters for dinner on the Mauretania were excellent.

Archived