Can anyone recommend a Carnival ship?

We are pretty loyal to RCI and looking for next year's cruise....probably AOS southern. I've already asked about Carnival Destiny and got some not so good reviews...

So, does anyone have a Carnival ship they DO recommend for someone who normally loves RCI? With RCI's prices seeming to go up with every day, I think we may have to incorporate more Carnival cruises....but I dont' know which one to go with..

I know we disliked the Inspiration.......

If anyone could PLEASE help, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend one of the newer ships such as Carnival Freedom or Carnival Liberty both are excellent and, while, Destiny is the only ship offering a Southern itinerary, I was on it last year and the old gal isn't as bad as some on these boards would have you beleive. I know I"m a newbie here and my opinion won't carry much weight but, I hope these comments aid in your decision.

DH & I sailed the Valor twice this past year and the Legend once. Loved both of them. We're not big RCI fans - cruised LOS and GOS each once and actually liked the cruises on the two Carnival ships more. We're sailing on Carnival Miracle in Jan/08, a sister ship to Legend.

Dianne

I have cruised on Carnival many times and the only class ships that I would even think about cruising again would be the Spirit class ships. There are four ships in this class. Spirit, Legend, Pride and Miracle. I do not like the Destiny or Conquest class ships at all. Horrible design which hampers the passenger flow and the ships have a crowded feeling along the promenade deck and around the pools. The Spirit class ships have a much better design and also a MUCH better passenger to space ratio.

I have cruised on Carnival many times and the only class ships that I would even think about cruising again would be the Spirit class ships. There are four ships in this class. Spirit, Legend, Pride and Miracle. I do not like the Destiny or Conquest class ships at all. Horrible design which hampers the passenger flow and the ships have a crowded feeling along the promenade deck and around the pools. The Spirit class ships have a much better design and also a MUCH better passenger to space ratio.

Couldn't agree more - the Destiny and Conquest class have a "can't get there from here" floor plan. Very confusing and frustrating!

We loved Adventure of the Seas. They have 2 Southern Caribbean routes to choose from. I don't have one bad thing to say about this ship. We found the food and service to be excellent and enjoyed walking through the center promenade and hanging out in all the cafes. We enjoyed the ice show too.

I agree! Go with the Spirit class ships. We enjoyed the pride the best.

The Miracle is a great ship. Starting in October, she will do 8 day sailings out of FLL to St Martin, St Kitts, and St Lucia, alternating with 8 day sailings to Colon, Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize. So you can still do a southern itinerary, you just won't hit as many ports.

The Miracle is a great ship. Starting in October, she will do 8 day sailings out of FLL to St Martin, St Kitts, and St Lucia, alternating with 8 day sailings to Colon, Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize. So you can still do a southern itinerary, you just won't hit as many ports.

We're doing the Miracle's All Saints cruise in January, same itinerary we did on the Legend last January. Two sea days at the beginning of the cruise and 2 sea days at the end. Ports are beautiful and those sea days are so relaxing. Got to love the itinerary if you love sea days as much as DH & I.:D

Dianne

We have done Triumph 2 times, Miracle and then all rci and will not do CCL again. With the kids they were bored to tears by the camp and pretty much not much to do on the ship. It is loud compared to rci and very gaudy in decoration. We have done Exlorer, mariner twice and LOS is coming up. Although CCL is less, with good planning on off season times, and a good ta which gives us back some obc and we actually caught this upcoming cruise on a coupon , and booking onboard credits...it came to LESS than ccl. Oh did I mention when I book i use RCI visa and then cash in 5000 points for 50 $ obc, and then when we pay the final bill and some other stuff using it for a month, we get yet another 50$ to spend. With all this back, I stick with RCI.

Now my friend just got back from CCL Freedom and actually told me it was the worst cruise she had taken. The service in the dining room was terrible with them having late seating they missed every show after since the service was soooo slow. The ship was terrible getting around she said, up and over to get to places. She felt congested in all the spots and the traffic flow was horrid. I found this to be the case on every CCL ship I have been on so I could understand her.

We loved Adventure of the Seas. They have 2 Southern Caribbean routes to choose from. I don't have one bad thing to say about this ship. We found the food and service to be excellent and enjoyed walking through the center promenade and hanging out in all the cafes. We enjoyed the ice show too.

Is this a NEW Carnival ship? I have not seen this one on their website. :p

I see the Saints cruise..but nothing for the other...that one looks very interesting as I would love to go to Costa Rica..

The prices for the Saints cruise is great though.

Thanks everyone for your help :) Our main dislike with Inspiration was the layout..I felt like you couldn't get from point a to point b easily. So, I am glad everyone chimed in on the layout part. Do the Spirit class ships have all of the neon/dark areas like Inspiration/older ships?

I see the Saints cruise..but nothing for the other...that one looks very interesting as I would love to go to Costa Rica..

The prices for the Saints cruise is great though.

Thanks everyone for your help :) Our main dislike with Inspiration was the layout..I felt like you couldn't get from point a to point b easily. So, I am glad everyone chimed in on the layout part. Do the Spirit class ships have all of the neon/dark areas like Inspiration/older ships?

All Carnival ships have the over the top decor IMO and it is getting worse as it seems that with every new ship Joe Farcus is starting to repeat himself. I found the two Spirit class ships that I was on to be dark in decor wise. Not a lot of neon like the Fantasy class ships. Those are all just plain tacky.

The Destiny/Conquest class layout is very similar to the Fantasy class. All major bars and lounges are located on the promenade deck. The main theatre is in front and the aft lounge in the back just like the Fantasy class. What makes it worse is that the two dining rooms are two levels and they cut off decks three and four. You have to go up and down to navigate the ship. I have some photos of a few Carnival ships in my link below. As you will see they do not even compare to those of RCI.

We are pretty loyal to RCI and looking for next year's cruise....probably AOS southern. I've already asked about Carnival Destiny and got some not so good reviews...

So, does anyone have a Carnival ship they DO recommend for someone who normally loves RCI? With RCI's prices seeming to go up with every day, I think we may have to incorporate more Carnival cruises....but I dont' know which one to go with..

Don't you think you'd have more luck if you posted this question on the Carnival Boards? :confused:

Adventure of the Seas is Royal Caribbean.

Dianne

I was being sarcastic. :) The thread title asked for suggestions about Carnival ships and this poster was gushing about AOS. Must not have read the title, huh?

The Victory is a great ship-we were on her in October for an 8-day cruise to Cozumel, Ocho Rios (didn't make Costa Rica due to a dock strike) and Panama. You're going to get some Carnival bashing since this is an RCI board, but Carnival is a great cruise line. You may want to ask your question on the Carnival board. A Carnival cruise may not be for everyone, but there are things that you will enjoy better on Carnival and visa versa. I like the service better on RCI, but the rooms are much smaller than on Carnival. The food is about the same, although you can get iced tea, lemonade and juices 24 hours a day on Carnival. The entertainment is about the same, although the ice shows on RCI are wonderful. There are more activities to do on Carnival, IMO. My DD did not like RCI's kids program because it is geared more towards sports. If your child is into sports, then RCI is the better choice. If not, then Carnival has the better program. My DD LOVED Camp Carnival (she is 19 now) and would not leave the ship on some port days. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time-you're on a cruise ship!!

I was being sarcastic. :) The thread title asked for suggestions about Carnival ships and this poster was gushing about AOS. Must not have read the title, huh?

I caught your joke...lmao.

I like the secret 1As with double windows on the Conquest class ships or the 5As on Spirit class ships. (the 5As are like french doors/windows, obstructed view but they open).

Conquest class ships do have a lot to recommend them as well, like a fish and chips place, refrigerators in the cabins, large staterooms etc.

Don't you think you'd have more luck if you posted this question on the Carnival Boards? :confused:

No. I purposefully posted this on the RCI boards b/c I want RCI cruisers that prefer RCI (like me) to give me their opinion on what Carnival ship to choose. On the Carnival board..they prefer Carnival and I'm sure they will tell me most of the ships are great..(just like I would if someone asked me about RCI). I wanted opinions from like minded cruisers!

Don't get me wrong, we loved our Carnival cruises because both we and the people we were with were in the Carnival mood. If you want to save money over RCI but like the RCI experience you might want to see what you can get on a Princess cruise. Princess ships do not have the WOW FACTOR in their public rooms or gadget sports of an RCI ship but they have the same great service and a little milder crowd.

I went on the Spirit 4 years ag0- it was beautiful. The food isn't as good as RCCL-but, it was New Years and the weather was stormy.

If you like eggs benedict-be sure to ask for a double order-I was suprised to only get 1 egg and 1 muffin.

Archived