Alaska coupon books

sfpd3000

Does anyone know if they still have the coupon books for the stores in Alaska? When we left from Vancouver in 2000, they had them in the cruise terminal. My cousin left from Seattle last year, and he said he couldn't find them in Seattle or Vancouver.

special prices on certain t-shirts, free necklace for purchase of so-much.

the one i liked was the angel pins for 99 cents (normally 1.99), but in late sept that store didn't have any left. same with the cheap ulu knives/bowl sets, i know they were only the "Made in China"...but the price was right.

some coupons were better then others, it made for interesting shopping to match the coupon with the right store.

the maps and city information were great...easy to follow maps of the port area.

Does anyone know if they still have the coupon books for the stores in Alaska? When we left from Vancouver in 2000, they had them in the cruise terminal. My cousin left from Seattle last year, and he said he couldn't find them in Seattle or Vancouver.

When we boarded our cruise 2 weeks ago in Seattle there was someone handing them out to us. Hope this helps!

Yes, they were handing out the Destination Alaska coupon books at Pier 66 in Seattle just as you got on the escalator to go up to check-in. This is the first year they've had them in Seattle.

What is the attraction of wasting time in ports running from store to store collecting made in China junk? I don't know which is worse the free book or the "Savvy" book you actually pay money for to waste time collecting bubble gum machine class "free gifts". You're in a scenic wonderland, if you can't afford to shop, find a bench and enjoy the incredible scenery!

I see people who have purchased three and four books and I can't help but wonder what they are thinking. Who are the people they are collecting their "free" gifts for.... I know many are on limited budgets, but I'd feel insulted by the junk I see collected. I see people in a frenzy making sure they have located every last item available.

Regarding the free coupon book....many of the items listed with supposed discount prices are actually the regular price for the item or often times has been further discounted. I have seen coupons for a discount of only $1.99 WITH coupon when the regular price is $1.49.

To actually pay money for a book with "free" gifts whose actual cost averages about five cents and then spend several hours in each port seems like an incredible waste of vacation time. When I go on vacation I prefer to buy something locally produced rather than collect Chinese manufactured junk. I have never been to China (not yet, but soon hopefully), but I wonder if you are surrounded by tacky tasteless junk souvenirs in the same way, but at least they would be local. If I couldn't afford to purchase something, I might consider bringing back a small rock or a wild flower pressed between book pages as a rememberance.

I truly am curious regarding the Savvy books, just what provokes you to purchase and what do you think you're getting? I wonder how much is produced with recycled paper as with all the promotional paper that is thrown at you aboard ship, it must be enough to wipe out a forest.

why do people scramble to possibly save 10% on junk and spend time in beautiful alaska shopping for the very best deal on junk?? i guess it makes them feel good; like winning something, even if only of bubble gum machine quality; but overspend by far on jewelry, clothes, restaurants etc. On a Holland America Round the world cruise thread--about 112 day cruise all the way around the world, lot of chatter about a number of passengers ripping off "damn bucks", monopoly money redeemable for cheap gifts like tees, and plastic cups and otherwise cheating to get them--they are awarded for winning a contest or participating in an event. The RTW cruise cost for the least expensive $68000--most were over 100k for a cabin..

Maybe the same mentality of backward natives intrigued by cheap bobbles brought by explorers, also "for free".

good email Jerry

except that it entertained us when the rain was so heavy we couldn't do anything else. at one store is was fun, the girl behind the counter kept ripping out coupons and giving us more free stuff. nothing great, but cute stuff for my little display wall at home.

the best part was the maps and the stories of the history of the ports. the booklet had great information. i usually don't shop, but with the rain in ketchikan, there wasn't much else to do, unless we just sat on the ship.

we were in the town of ketchikan for a total of an hour, it was that wet.

spent the rest of the time with FIL on the ship, had a nice lunch, then the ship left. if it wasn't for the coupon book, DH would have stay on the ship.

You consider it a waste of time, but it's not your time that's being wasted. Maybe someone who gets the coupon books and goes store to store getting free items (I haven't seen them so don't know what type of "stuff" one gets for free) doesn't consider it a waste of time at all.

When I go on vacation I prefer to buy something locally produced rather than collect Chinese manufactured junk. I have never been to China (not yet, but soon hopefully), but I wonder if you are surrounded by tacky tasteless junk souvenirs in the same way, but at least they would be local.

Just like everywhere else, you can find "tacky, tasteless junk" in China. But, also like everywhere else, you can find beautiful items to purchase--like silk and jade and handcrafts. :)

I truly am curious regarding the Savvy books, just what provokes you to purchase and what do you think you're getting?

If you're truly curious, you might want to ask a question without so much judgment infused in it. The way you asked this question--after a rant implying people who get the coupon books are stupid--won't likely get you any insight into it. JMHO

Happy sailing,

Jayne

My family enjoyed the benefits of the coupons in the FREE (no, we didn't pay for it) coupon book we received at Seattle port. (We were at Pier 30.)

For those who are interested, one vendor (3 different locations) offered shipping back to the U.S. for goods purchased in those 3 shops. This was an important concern for those limited by airline weight restrictions. The coupon is the "tab" for Ketchikan section. DH and I buy T-shirts (not necessariily the $1.99 screen-printed kind -- usually embroidered), sweatshirts and polo shirts more than anything else. This shop had great selection... with the convenience of reduced-price shipping with the coupon! Also, Ulu knives with bowls are HEAVY.

Also, be careful. We "lost track" of what we were doing, and Mom paid too much for an item... she forgot to check the coupon book for that shop!

What is the attraction of wasting time in ports running from store to store collecting made in China junk? I don't know which is worse the free book or the "Savvy" book you actually pay money for to waste time collecting bubble gum machine class "free gifts".

why do people scramble to possibly save 10% on junk and spend time in beautiful alaska shopping for the very best deal on junk?? i guess it makes them feel good; like winning something, even if only of bubble gum machine quality; but overspend by far on jewelry, clothes, restaurants etc.

If you don't want to pick up the coupon books, don't. If you don't want to look for bargains, don't. If you don't want to read threads about the books, by all means, don't.

However there's no reason to be judgemental and insulting to the people who are having fun with them. Your idea of fun may be different than theirs. So what? Move on and have your own fun in your own fashion, but don't assume people "aren't doing it right" if they aren't having the exact same kind of fun as you.

Linda

While I'll be looking for the Alaska-made items for family, I will definitely look for some small inexpensive Alaska-themed items (yes, even if they are made somewhere else) for my office-mates. We all work long hard days together and bringing a silly little something from my trip says "I was thinking of you and throught this was fun". That it's inexensive is understandable, and no one is in the position of feeling they must reciprocate for an expensive gift.

Somewhere along the road of life too many people lose their sense of fun. Remember when a treasure hunt was great fun? Well the coupon book is like the treasure hunt so many of us loved as kids. Not that anyone ever found treasure as a kid, but it was the hunt for it that was fun.

Archived