Advice on excursions

Sugar13

Everyone is so helpful here, I've learned a lot but was hoping I could get some advice on excursions. As this is our first cruise, I need all the help I can get!

We arrive in Hamilton at 1:00 on Monday, July 16. We have already reserved Hartley's Helmet Dive for that afternoon. On Tuesday, we go the BUEI at 9:00. We are meeting the family who runs the institute as they are related to our group. On Wednesday, we leave Hamilton and arrive at St. George at 9:00. The ship heads home at noon on Thursday.

So what else should we do while in Hamilton and what is a must-see in St. George? We've thought about some evening activities, maybe a carriage ride or glass bottom boat cruise. Are they worth it? Should we book through the ship or go on our own? In St. George, has anyone done the Coral Sea Glass Bottom Boat Cruise, the Ultimate Water Tour or the Olde Town Railway Trolley Train? The day we leave, some of our group have reserved the Crystal Caves & Tuckers Town Drive which is from 8:30-11:00. Since the ship leaves at noon, I'm not sure if I want to spend the morning doing that. Should we try to see the caves on our own the day before? And what about beaches? Any recommendations will be appreciated. Oh, I almost forgot the Tucker House Museum. Has anyone been there? Because of the family relation, this is on our list. I know we can't do everything and I wish we had more time in Bermuda, but I guess we'll have to save some things for our next trip!

We are traveling with about 40 family members but everyone plans to do things on their own. My little group consists of myself, my dh, our 10yo ds and my sister.

Thanks for all advice! :)

I think you should try to go to one of the pink sand beaches when you visit Bermuda. . .that is what makes Bermuda, Bermuda. Since you are traveling with a ten year old, I think Horsehoe will be very enjoyable for your family. You can get to Horsehoe Beach from Hamilton. I also think it is a good idea to take a ship's excursion on the final half day. Why? Because if you take the ship's excursion, you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time, the ship will wait for the excursion to return.

I agree with Got2Cruise about getting to spend time at the beach. That is what made Bermuda famous. Getting out on/in the water is the second best thing, IMO, but you're doing that with the helmet dive (great choice, BTW).

The caves there are certainly memorable, but doing it on your own would be a better use of your time.

i recommend booking your tours direct to save a bundle. despite what the shore excursion people say, it's the same tour, same boat and same crew. if you go to http://www.bermudayp.com and type the name of the business or activity in, you'll find that many of them have a "call this business for free" button. beau and chloe on the coral sea do an excellent job and i highly recommend them

Thanks, everyone, for the info and advice. That website looks very useful, it even shows the current temps. Horseshoe was on my list of possibilities. I remember there's a thread on the best ways to get there. More research to do.

Thanks again!

:)

Here is a very detailed review of our cruise to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

I agree with bdaguy. You really CAN do a lot on your own, without paying for a single tour. For example, did you know that Fantasy Cave is a much better cave than Crystal? Did you know you could walk from St. George to a beach with a small cave on the shore and gather all the sea glass you can carry? Did you know you can easily walk to an incredibly cool Fort in Hamilton that has underground passageways and a deep moat (now a botanical garden) you can explore?

I would not book through the cruise line in Bermuda. A three day pass will allow you to get were every you want and most sites are much cheaper on your own. Also the bus rides through Bermuda is an experience in itself.

We are considering the bus passes, concour. It does seem to be a good deal.

CaribbeanBound, are either of the caves better for someone with a bad knee? My dh is now debating if he should even attempt them after hurting his knee a couple of years ago. And I'm concerned about too much walking. Yesterday was the first leg of our vacation in the DC area. Between the humidity and all the walking we did seeing some of the monuments, I'm exhausted and hobbling with a sore left foot. We are taking it easy today but will visit some museums tomorrow. I've got to pace myself so I'll be up for Bermuda when we leave Saturday!

:)

We have been to Bermuda several times.

I highly recommend Horeshoe Bay Beach. I am not a big beach person but it is probably one of the nicest beaches we've ever been to.

I also concur with doing a Horse and Buggy Ride in Hamilton. I did this with my family several years ago and it was very nice and relaxing.

Also, give yourself a few hours to walk around Hamilton. It is a very nice port. They have nice stores and it is just a nice place to walk around.

I've done the caves before and if you have a bad knee this is one I would skip. It was interesting but you can do something like that in the United States.

Bermuda is a wonderful Island. Much different than what you find in the Caribbean. We love it.

Keith

Archived