Pride Of Aloha - No AC in Cabin

jeremybe

Hi-

My parents recently retuned form a cruise on the Pride of Aloha - Their Balcony Cabin had no AC for the entire trip. They were constantly lied to that the AC was going to be fixed. My parent's even asked to be let off the shp at its first port and to be given a refund for the remaining part of he ship. The customer service was just horrendous - I've been trying to track down the email adress for Colin Veitch the CEO of NCL. If anyone could possibly supply me with this info or any other valid internal email address (So I canderive their email address scheme internally) I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I was planning on booking this ship for Aug. 5th but poor customer service will stop me from doing that.

Jim: The A/C problem was in May and into mid June and affected the cabins in the middle of the ship. Recent reports are that the air conditioning has been fixed.

There are several threads on this topic, but they all seem to indicate that NCL did drop the ball in the area of customer Service in regards to taking care of these people.

Hi-

My parents recently retuned form a cruise on the Pride of Aloha - Their Balcony Cabin had no AC for the entire trip. They were constantly lied to that the AC was going to be fixed. My parent's even asked to be let off the shp at its first port and to be given a refund for the remaining part of he ship. The customer service was just horrendous

Jeremy: What were the dates of your parents cruise, so that we can be better informed and make sure this is not a new problem.

Also, for your information, based on reports on other threads on here, people affected by this have been given everything from $400 on board credits down to $200 obcs and below. I know an OBC won't help your parents now, but it will give you a ballpark figure in order to seek some kind of compensation from NCL. (hey, the other people got it!)

Hi everyone and thanks for all of the replies! My parents were on the May 13th cruise in Cabin 9229 - They were offered a $200 OBC which I think is a joke - There was even one day where they could not us etheir cabin because the engineers were trying to fix the problem, they had to change and take a nap in a friends cabin - This is one of the worst customer service jokes I have ever seen - Hopefully by contacting NCL I can do something for my parents - I was on POA last year and had a terrific experience, so I know this is not the norm, but my parents will probably never travel on NCL again..

They were offered a $200 OBC which I think is a joke. Hopefully by contacting NCL I can do something for my parents. I was on POA last year and had a terrific experience, so I know this is not the norm, but my parents will probably never travel on NCL again..

Don't tell NCL that.:eek: Besides the OBC they have already received, the best you can hope for is more OBC for a future cruise. Once you state they will never sail with NCL again, they won't even grant that. NCL will probably not give refunds.

This is one of the worst customer service jokes I have ever seen - Hopefully by contacting NCL I can do something for my parents -..

Don't expect anything from NCL. They view customer service as an inconveinence themselves and so far have done nothing for the others affected.

Of course NCL is famous for doing nothing to help those who have been wronged by their inept corporate operations.

Don't expect anything from NCL. They view customer service as an inconveinence themselves and so far have done nothing for the others affected.

Of course NCL is famous for doing nothing to help those who have been wronged by their inept corporate operations.

Whereas we can disagree and argue if $200 OBC is sufficent compensation forever, you must admit it's more than nothing.:rolleyes:

Cruise ships are operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for up to three years without a day off. The mechanical equipment is in constant use for extended periods, mechanical problems will eventually arise that will need repairing.

I'm not surprised when mechanical problems arise, but I was disappointed how long it took NCL to repair the A/C this time.

A week or two is the longest I expected, not the four to five weeks it eventually took.

Cruise ships are operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for up to three years without a day off. The mechanical equipment is in constant use for extended periods, mechanical problems will eventually arise that will need repairing.

Hotels operate 24/7/365 things break there as well. NCL dropped the ball and should be making it right. The fact that POAL is in port for entire days every day the ship was more than accesable to all maintenance crew whether on board or off.

I do agree it's not something that should be sued over however NCL has made a commitment to its customers to have AC whether the contract says it or not.

FB

Hi-

My parents recently retuned form a cruise on the Pride of Aloha - Their Balcony Cabin had no AC for the entire trip. They were constantly lied to that the AC was going to be fixed. My parent's even asked to be let off the shp at its first port and to be given a refund for the remaining part of he ship. The customer service was just horrendous - I've been trying to track down the email adress for Colin Veitch the CEO of NCL. If anyone could possibly supply me with this info or any other valid internal email address (So I canderive their email address scheme internally) I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I know $200 doesn't sound like much, but it is better than nothing. BTW it wasn't all the balcony cabins, but one section. Unfortunitely your parents were in that section. I am glad it wasn't me. I am sure someone will come up with Colin's email address. I think I used to have it, but don't anymore. Maybe Shoreguy still has it.

This isn't the first thread referring to the A/C problems in May and early June, but yes, it appears they have been fixed. Let's hope so.

I hope you can get a little more from NCL, please don't say, as someone has already advised you, they will never sail NCL again. The best way to get through to a company is let them know you are unhappy and want to be convinced to use them again. If you have no intentions of using them why do they care about you?

Nita

Hotels operate 24/7/365 things break there as well.
Yes because a hotel and a cruise ship are the same thing and should be able to be worked on in the same way.
The fact that POAL is in port for entire days every day the ship was more than accesable to all maintenance crew whether on board or off.
So your theory is they went out of their way to NOT fix the ship because that's what makes the most sense? Granted, more compensation was due the passengers for having to be in those conditions but it makes absolutely no sense for them to delay fixing the A/C.
I do agree it's not something that should be sued over however NCL has made a commitment to its customers to have AC whether the contract says it or not.
NCL didn't make a commitment to provide A/C. It's one of those things you expect. However, things break. I'm sure they want to live in a world where everything is perfect but that's not realistic.

Hotels operate 24/7/365 things break there as well. NCL dropped the ball and should be making it right. The fact that POAL is in port for entire days every day the ship was more than accessible to all maintenance crew whether on board or off.

FB

I agree, but it's much easier for a hotel to move a guest to another room or even another hotel. If they had canceled cruises for those rooms, they would have still had very upset passengers. :rolleyes:

Yes because a hotel and a cruise ship are the same thing and should be able to be worked on in the same way.

I was just making a point the all hotels like cruise ships run 24/7/365 so that was not a valid point. Of course things are going to break. I also agree that it is "probably" more complicated to fix a cruise ship than a hotel

So your theory is they went out of their way to NOT fix the ship because that's what makes the most sense? Granted, more compensation was due the passengers for having to be in those conditions but it makes absolutely no sense for them to delay fixing the A/C.
I didn't say that
NCL didn't make a commitment to provide A/C. It's one of those things you expect. However, things break. I'm sure they want to live in a world where everything is perfect but that's not realistic.
What's the difference. NCL literature claims they have A/C. To me that says they will provide A/C. Yes things break I get it. It's how they handled it.

I agree, but it's much easier for a hotel to move a guest to another room or even another hotel. If they had canceled cruises for those rooms, they would have still had very upset passengers. :rolleyes:

They asked. NCL said NO!

Hi-

My parent's even asked to be let off the shp at its first port and to be given a refund for the remaining part of he ship.

I was just making a point the all hotels like cruise ships run 24/7/365 so that was not a valid point.
It's not a valid point in my opinion because hotels don't move and can have parts delivered 24/7/365. Cruise ships are on the move and have completely different systems. Granted, they both have guests that sleep over.
What's the difference. NCL literature claims they have A/C. To me that says they will provide A/C.
Not to get into a semantic battle with you but the literature, I believe, says each stateroom has its own temperature control. They don't mention anything about how cold it will be or if it will work at all. But again, you expect it to work. I'm sure NCL didn't plan to break the A/C and inconvenience everyone. It was a terrible situation.
Yes things break I get it. It's how they handled it.
Definitely, they could have handled it better. But you make it sound like NCL purposefully didn't fix it. Yes, the ship is in port all day every day. What about parts? Maybe it takes some time to order parts for a cruise ship air conditioning system? It's not like running to the corner store and getting what they need. How about technicians that know how to fix it? What if they aren't on the ship and are in another country and have to be flown in? That takes time too.

I think NCL should have canceled those in the affected cabins and offered generous compensation. :)

It's not a valid point in my opinion because hotels don't move and can have parts delivered 24/7/365. Cruise ships are on the move and have completely different systems. Granted, they both have guests that sleep over. Not to get into a semantic battle with you but the literature, I believe, says each stateroom has its own temperature control. They don't mention anything about how cold it will be or if it will work at all. But again, you expect it to work. I'm sure NCL didn't plan to break the A/C and inconvenience everyone. It was a terrible situation. Definitely, they could have handled it better. But you make it sound like NCL purposefully didn't fix it. Yes, the ship is in port all day every day. What about parts? Maybe it takes some time to order parts for a cruise ship air conditioning system? It's not like running to the corner store and getting what they need. How about technicians that know how to fix it? What if they aren't on the ship and are in another country and have to be flown in? That takes time too.

I think NCL should have canceled those in the affected cabins and offered generous compensation. :)

Bingo. Thats my point. I used to work in a parts warehouse I know these things take time. I am in no way saying NCL did anything on purpose. I'm sure, actaully, very sure they were doing everything in their power to fix the problem as quickly as possible. Again it's how they handled the problem with customers. Being that I am sailing on the Pride of Aloha in August. I would much rather them let me know in advance whether it be 2 or 3 days ahead so I could either transfer to POA or POH (Granted not everybodys schedule could fit this, mine does) or arrange for a land vacation. (Again I understand not everybody could do this).

I do not wish to argue I was just trying to say it was handled poorly. I will leave it at that and thank you for having a usefull discussion. :) :) :)

FB

I do not wish to argue I was just trying to say it was handled poorly.
See, we do agree. :) We cancelled our POH cruise leaving THIS WEEKEND because of bad reviews. We just weren't willing to take the risk with my mom's 60th birthday. Instead we're doing a land based vacation over Labor Day week.

Hi everyone and thanks for all of the replies! My parents were on the May 13th cruise in Cabin 9229 - They were offered a $200 OBC which I think is a joke - There was even one day where they could not us etheir cabin because the engineers were trying to fix the problem, they had to change and take a nap in a friends cabin - This is one of the worst customer service jokes I have ever seen - Hopefully by contacting NCL I can do something for my parents - I was on POA last year and had a terrific experience, so I know this is not the norm, but my parents will probably never travel on NCL again..

If the decision has been made that they won't sail NCL again, there probably isn't any point in getting an OBC for a future cruise, so I don't know what you hope to get for your parents. I hope that they have better luck with future vacations.

If the decision has been made that they won't sail NCL again, there probably isn't any point in getting an OBC for a future cruise, so I don't know what you hope to get for your parents. I hope that they have better luck with future vacations.

Good point and a cash refund will never happen nor should it.

Nita

We were on this sailing, were in the middle on Deck 8, and had no problem with the air conditioning. In fact we felt the whole ship was cold. We never heard anyone complain about it though, so I am puzzled. I guess we were lucky.

I have posted before, we were also in a balcony cabin on the May 27th sailing, and our AC did not work. We were told every day that they would fix it that day. And everyday without fail it was 8o+ and muggy in our cabin. Luckly we could sleep with the balcony door open. But that was an experience itself as well.

I was in room 9249, just down the hall from your parrent two weeks later. we received a $200 obc and took it, but later we called them b/c that was less then a 10% refund of our total cost ( a joke). They since sat on our claim till this past friday and we are awaiting a letter in the mail. We asked for 50% refund, but I dout we will receive anything. It was our honeymoon, and very dissapointing. :(

$200 credit does not near cover the discomfort. If you cannot get a good night's sleep due to being too hot, it is hard to enjoy the entire trip. I would have to grab my pillow and head to one of the lounges to sleep if this happened to me. In fact, that is my plan if it does, but a small credit is not sufficient. If the heat makes the room unusable, you are owed more than that. I would expect the problem to be fixed or other accomodations be made. If one has no balcony to open, that is a different problem altogether.

Good luck on getting a response from them.

Has anyone been able to pinpoint these AC problems to a general area of the ship?

Has anyone been able to pinpoint these AC problems to a general area of the ship?

According to recent POA cruisers, the problem has been fixed and is now working in all areas of the ship. The area that was affected was the center of ship including the crew decks based on reports on here.

Archived