Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK - here is the cutest little pup - just for oohs and aahs today - we met him at the puppy party last week.

His name is Wilbur and he is just 12 weeks old. I just love his little wrinkly worried brows .... "what is that lady pointing at me?"

imagejpg4_zpse50e9661.jpg

Oh! No! Wilbur, what's wrong? You'll be okay, you'll see, life is full of wonderful adventures.......stiff upper lip, little chap!

And this is my Max, our Goofy Boy and Aruba's bestest friend! I just totally love this boy for coming for his holidays nearly 8 years ago and deciding he wanted to stay with us and Poppy!:D

imagejpg5_zps0ad1bac6.jpg

Hello Max boy! It's Auntie Roz and Horty. We hope to meet you one day. Until then have fun with your wonderful family.......you're a very smart boy for choosing them......they really love dogs!

Not necessarily. Each country has their own regulations on importing dogs. Some require you to get the health certificate endorsed (stamped) by your regional USDA office while others do not require that (you just have your USDA-approved vet fill it out). Some have import permits while others do not. Some have fees while others do not. Some waive the fees for service dogs while others do not. Some require a rabies titer with a six-month wait after it while others require two rabies titers or do not require any rabies titers. Some require that you deworm the dog just before arrival while others do not. You get the picture.

So, start as soon as you look for cruises to see what each country requires so you can make an informed decision about which countries work for you. I did one (group) cruise with a country that required the titer with the six-month wait and, thankfully, I had just enough time to complete that before the cruise. So, start now to find out what the requirements are. (If you can't fulfill a country's requirements, you can still go on the cruise, but the dog cannot get off the ship at that port.)

For coming back into the States, you just need the health certificate.

BTW, be sure you also bring your rabies certificate with you even though the rabies vaccine is listed on the health certificate! One time, I didn't realize that my vet forgot to put on the health certificate that the rabies was the three-year vaccine and we were in the second or third year. Thankfully, I had the rabies certificate with me so I could prove it was the three-year quickly and easily, no international call to my vet needed.

Yikes! I only have two months before our next cruise. We didn't have the dog prior to booking this cruise, so I am stuck with the ports now.

I am concerned about this screwworm country list. We are porting in Cartagena, Colombia, which is on the list. Can we even bring the dog into that country without having problems reentering the US? I'm having headaches over this whole process. I have checked the various embassy websites, which are very confusing, as most talk about importing dogs to stay in that country. The USDA APHIS site is equally as confusing. Their list of approved vets in my area is a whopping ONE. Is there a master list with more vets somewhere? Looks like I will be on the phone all day tomorrow. I wish there was someone to hold my hand through all of this red tape. The last time I felt this overwhelmed was when I had to do my tax returns myself. I was on the phone with the IRS the day before crying.

I also read on another site that Costa Rica, another of our ports, is dangerous for dogs because of insect bites that can be deadly to the dog. Is this true? Should we spray the dog before we go into port or put a special flea/tick collar on him?

Yikes! I only have two months before our next cruise. We didn't have the dog prior to booking this cruise, so I am stuck with the ports now.

I am concerned about this screwworm country list. We are porting in Cartagena, Colombia, which is on the list. Can we even bring the dog into that country without having problems reentering the US? I'm having headaches over this whole process. I have checked the various embassy websites, which are very confusing, as most talk about importing dogs to stay in that country. The USDA APHIS site is equally as confusing. Their list of approved vets in my area is a whopping ONE. Is there a master list with more vets somewhere? Looks like I will be on the phone all day tomorrow. I wish there was someone to hold my hand through all of this red tape. The last time I felt this overwhelmed was when I had to do my tax returns myself. I was on the phone with the IRS the day before crying.

I also read on another site that Costa Rica, another of our ports, is dangerous for dogs because of insect bites that can be deadly to the dog. Is this true? Should we spray the dog before we go into port or put a special flea/tick collar on him?

Okay, we make the decision to bring a Service Dog into our life......do they complicate our lives, you bet! Are they so worth it, a HUGE you bet!

Let's talk about what we know: The medication whether it be liquid, pill or chewable form is always good for fleas/ticks. I'm now using the new chewable and my Vet [who is a genius] highly recommends them.

The ports you've chosen for your cruise are wonderful but I wouldn't take Horton onto them for his health and safety [remember these ports have strays, with no leash laws]. He would stay back with one of us, as we take turns touring or if I'm cruising alone, I don't go off the ship.

Can some insect bites in some foreign countries be deadly to dogs, maybe. Ask your Vet. This is again probably covered by the Advantix.....if not, the dog stays in the cabin with me while in this port. I called my Vets office and asked the nurse; she said that short of a monkey bite the Advantix will cover insect bites. She also mentioned that it's important not to visit cattle ranches, pig farms, horse ranches or go walking through the jungle with our dogs. She said that the dogs may step on animal feces which carries all sorts of diseases. She mentioned that immigration in the US may ask if you've visited any of the above with the dog, and it's ALWAYS best to be able to answer NO. Otherwise they could confiscate your dog. NO WAY!

I know you like to travel as I do but now that I have my treasured Service Dog my travels are different and I'm much more aware of his safety as well as my own! If I'm going to visit a foreign port that might be "iffy" for my dog, I make other plans for both of us!

Whatever you do, go on the cruise, you'll have fun. You just may have to change some plans around a bit.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, today Missy Aruba was sitting just like your dear Brenda is sitting in your avatar photo. I turned to th DH and said "look at Rhubarb - he calls her rhubarb! - she's sitting just like Brenda!" I have never seen any other dog sit like this .... I'm going to call it "side saddle"!??? ;):D. Quite ladylike really!

Happy weekend everyone .... :)

Roz, today Missy Aruba was sitting just like your dear Brenda is sitting in your avatar photo. I turned to th DH and said "look at Rhubarb - he calls her rhubarb! - she's sitting just like Brenda!" I have never seen any other dog sit like this .... I'm going to call it "side saddle"!??? ;):D. Quite ladylike really!

Happy weekend everyone .... :)

Awww! My little darling, I miss her so much and tear-up for her every day! I loved her so much. We had such an amazingly wonderful life together.

Mornin' all:

Roz: I have been thinking about you and that storm. Hope you are all okay? We actually got rain and fog, very unusual for us.

A co-worker just had to let their 15 year old Chocolate Lab, Jake, go to the bridge. Very sad. When she came back to work, I just gave her a hug and we both cried. No words were necessary. As I sit here and tear up for all our babies that have made that journey. :(

On a happier note. I got an email from Petco. They are having a 20% off orders of $49 or more and free shipping, no minimum purchase! If anyone needs any thing.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Mornin' all:

Roz: I have been thinking about you and that storm. Hope you are all okay? We actually got rain and fog, very unusual for us.

A co-worker just had to let their 15 year old Chocolate Lab, Jake, go to the bridge. Very sad. When she came back to work, I just gave her a hug and we both cried. No words were necessary. As I sit here and tear up for all our babies that have made that journey. :(

On a happier note. I got an email from Petco. They are having a 20% off orders of $49 or more and free shipping, no minimum purchase! If anyone needs any thing.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Thanks Nancy, it rained so hard on Friday, on my way to work, that my windshield wipers couldn't keep up with the deluge! It's not so bad when you go from the house to the garage to the car and then to underground parking, didn't have to take out the umbrella once. And, typically of L.A. the rain cleared up and the sun came out. Finally, I have the heat running for the second time this year. It's hard to want to live anywhere else with our wonderful weather until we have an earthquake and then it can get pretty scary.

I'm sorry about your friends loss. To have a Lab in your life for 15 years is pretty remarkable though. I'm so grateful to have Horton in my life, especially now!

You have a nice weekend too!

I like Petco because they're so generous to CCI but we have a new PetSmart in my neighborhood and I've been going there lately.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Whatever the countries' rules are to import a dog, that's what you follow, since that is what you are doing even though it is just for several hours. (Obviously, you don't follow things listed for permanent importation/residency/stay such as getting a dog license and paying a permanent importation fee, if there is one.)

Which countries are you going to? Maybe we can help.

It can take a long time to figure out what some of these countries require and I have had to e-mail animal import departments and call embassies before. You might want to also call the USDA office in your region, though I am not sure if they will just refer you to their terrible Web site or not since I never tried that.

I don't know about the list of approved vets, as there are two approved vets at the vet office we go to (the regular vet, not the oncologist, of course) so I have never had to look one up. I suppose you could call vets in your area to see if they have any approved vets there, ask your regular vet if they know any, or call your regional USDA office to see if they have an updated list.

I have never heard of deadly insect bites, but it could be possible, I guess. I would ask the vet and the USDA about it. There are preventive you can use, such as fly and mosquito sprays, treated bandannas, etc. Your dog's regular flea/tick treatment should be adequate. Make sure you keep your dog on heartworm prevention - if you stopped it for the winter, you need to do a heartworm test before beginning it again (if your dog has heartworm, takes prevention, and is active, it could kill him), but it is actually best if you treat year-round no matter what climate you live in because mosquitoes are living/active for longer/in colder weather than previously thought, plus temperature can fluctuate.

Now, about doing taxes yourself - just what were you thinking?!?! :p

Whatever the countries' rules are to import a dog, that's what you follow, since that is what you are doing even though it is just for several hours. (Obviously, you don't follow things listed for permanent importation/residency/stay such as getting a dog license and paying a permanent importation fee, if there is one.)

Which countries are you going to? Maybe we can help.

It can take a long time to figure out what some of these countries require and I have had to e-mail animal import departments and call embassies before. You might want to also call the USDA office in your region, though I am not sure if they will just refer you to their terrible Web site or not since I never tried that.

I don't know about the list of approved vets, as there are two approved vets at the vet office we go to (the regular vet, not the oncologist, of course) so I have never had to look one up. I suppose you could call vets in your area to see if they have any approved vets there, ask your regular vet if they know any, or call your regional USDA office to see if they have an updated list.

I have never heard of deadly insect bites, but it could be possible, I guess. I would ask the vet and the USDA about it. There are preventive you can use, such as fly and mosquito sprays, treated bandannas, etc. Your dog's regular flea/tick treatment should be adequate. Make sure you keep your dog on heartworm prevention - if you stopped it for the winter, you need to do a heartworm test before beginning it again (if your dog has heartworm, takes prevention, and is active, it could kill him), but it is actually best if you treat year-round no matter what climate you live in because mosquitoes are living/active for longer/in colder weather than previously thought, plus temperature can fluctuate.

Now, about doing taxes yourself - just what were you thinking?!?! :p

Well, I called my vet's office today and found out he is a USDA certified vet. Phew! I checked the embassy websites for the ports we are visiting...Aruba, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica. We decided not to take Pedro into Panama, since we will only be docked for a couple of hours, and Jamaica because we can't take him there as per their laws. As for the other three, Aruba requires the ISO 15 digit microchip, an int'l health certificate and vaccination records, Costa Rica requires the same cert and vaccination records. Colombia is a bigger pain in that we need extra vaccinations, for leptospirosis and coronavirus. He has the others they require...although he did have the one for lepto two years ago. I'll have to check on how long that one is good for. Also, Colombia is on the screwworm list...so we may have to skip that port too.:( Everyone seems to want an original copy. Do we have to get one for each port? Do they keep them or do they just look at them?

One thing I was wondering...when and what is the process for getting off the ship with the dog? Do we just get off with him or do we have to go through a special process? I just want to know what we should expect in each port. My DH suffers from PTSD and I don't want him to get set off from this process.

Oh yeah...what happens when we return to the US? Is there another process to go through before or after customs with the dog? I imagine I will need to have his records in hand along with my passport and customs form?

As for doing my taxes myself? Never again! I have an accountant do them every year. Creative people need help with those things.;)

Thanks.

You sound like your pretty much set. Ask the Vet about the necessary updates on all vaccines.

While you're onboard the ship and before you get to each port the Purser's Desk will contact you. You will meet the Immigration Official for each port [that requires it] in the early morning, in a specific lounge or restaurant, before the ship is cleared to enter that port. They will want to see you, your dog and all his/her paperwork. Sometimes they collect the paperwork and do NOT return it and sometimes they look it over, give it back and let the officers onboard know that you've been cleared. NO ONE can leave the ship until EVERYONE has been cleared.

This is why I suggest making at least 4 copies of everything before you leave. Have a folder or envelope just for your dogs paperwork.

You will walk off the ship with the rest of the passengers, once you've been cleared.

When coming home, make sure to have your dog's paperwork, your passport and all customs forms ready to show the officials.

Remember, you have NOT visited a farm, ranch or gone horse back riding with your dog!

Sometimes even the customs officials don't know what they are doing. When we came back from Canada last year, the customs official said Orson's paperwork was wrong. He said we were supposed to check livestock on the form for Orson. I didn't want to start an argument so I said I was sorry for not filling the form out correctly as it was my first time. He let us go. Last time I checked, Orson was a dog, not livestock.

Sometimes even the customs officials don't know what they are doing. When we came back from Canada last year, the customs official said Orson's paperwork was wrong. He said we were supposed to check livestock on the form for Orson. I didn't want to start an argument so I said I was sorry for not filling the form out correctly as it was my first time. He let us go. Last time I checked, Orson was a dog, not livestock.

DOG sir, not HOG!!!!!

The key is DO NOT GET FLUSTERED, even if they ask for the dumbest thing. Stay calm, cool and do the best you can on answering the questions and providing them with what they ask for.

Immigration DOES NOT WANT YOUR DOG! Some of them are just really full of themselves. :rolleyes:

You sound like your pretty much set. Ask the Vet about the necessary updates on all vaccines.

While you're onboard the ship and before you get to each port the Purser's Desk will contact you. You will meet the Immigration Official for each port [that requires it] in the early morning, in a specific lounge or restaurant, before the ship is cleared to enter that port. They will want to see you, your dog and all his/her paperwork. Sometimes they collect the paperwork and do NOT return it and sometimes they look it over, give it back and let the officers onboard know that you've been cleared. NO ONE can leave the ship until EVERYONE has been cleared.

This is why I suggest making at least 4 copies of everything before you leave. Have a folder or envelope just for your dogs paperwork.

You will walk off the ship with the rest of the passengers, once you've been cleared.

When coming home, make sure to have your dog's paperwork, your passport and all customs forms ready to show the officials.

Remember, you have NOT visited a farm, ranch or gone horse back riding with your dog!

First of all, thank you. I am feeling a little bit better about the whole process.

This morning, my vet's office called, and I spoke to the person who handles the details for certification. We went over Pedro's vaccinations, the requirements for each port and what we need to do. She said she has just done this for someone travelling to the Netherlands, but this will be her first cruise. LOL She had already spoken to the local USDA office and was told that we only had to comply with the regulations in each port, but only had to deal mainly with the first port(Aruba.) They said after the first port, we weren't coming from the US, we would be coming from the previous port. Is this correct in your experience? We will still be going by all of the requirements for each port though. We also discussed the flea/tick/mosquito situation and will get him started on a program. All but two vaccinations are up to date. Colombia requires the additional leptospirosis and coronavirus vaccines...which he will get. When I mentioned that Colombia was on the "screwworm list" she said she would call the USDA back for further info. If we have to keep him on board, we will. Everything will be ordered and the appointments with the vet and the USDA(for the seals) will be coordinated within 10 days of the date we leave home. We are driving, so we don't have to hassle with the airlines. Luckily, Pedro travels well by car.

Regarding the process on board in each port. Have you run into any problems or possible problems we may encounter? I want to be prepared for every situation. Do they look down on you if you show up for the customs meeting in your PJs?;) I don't do mornings well...

Have you ever NOT been cleared by customs in a port?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

[b]

First of all, thank you. I am feeling a little bit better about the whole process.

This morning, my vet's office called, and I spoke to the person who handles the details for certification. We went over Pedro's vaccinations, the requirements for each port and what we need to do. She said she has just done this for someone travelling to the Netherlands, but this will be her first cruise. LOL She had already spoken to the local USDA office and was told that we only had to comply with the regulations in each port, but only had to deal mainly with the first port(Aruba.) They said after the first port, we weren't coming from the US, we would be coming from the previous port. Is this correct in your experience? We will still be going by all of the requirements for each port though. We also discussed the flea/tick/mosquito situation and will get him started on a program. All but two vaccinations are up to date. Colombia requires the additional leptospirosis and coronavirus vaccines...which he will get. When I mentioned that Colombia was on the "screwworm list" she said she would call the USDA back for further info. If we have to keep him on board, we will. Everything will be ordered and the appointments with the vet and the USDA(for the seals) will be coordinated within 10 days of the date we leave home. We are driving, so we don't have to hassle with the airlines. Luckily, Pedro travels well by car.

Regarding the process on board in each port. Have you run into any problems or possible problems we may encounter? I want to be prepared for every situation. Do they look down on you if you show up for the customs meeting in your PJs?;) I don't do mornings well...

Have you ever NOT been cleared by customs in a port?

Cindra

Cindra, I wish I was going with you so I could show you how easy it all really is.

1. I HATE mornings and they hate me. I come down in my pj's because it will be very early. Of course, it seems they always pick an area that's at the complete opposite of your cabin. So, you're walking past a lot of earlybirds with your charming self. And, I must say, I'm not a pretty picture but they've asked for it and they're getting it. Keep a smile on your face and don't over think or over talk! Make sure you've pottied him before your meeting.

2. If Pedro has a Service Vest make sure he's wearing it the morning of your meeting with Immigration. Make sure he's on his best behavior. Put him in a "down/stay" position. No sniffing around.

3. Bring ALL Pedro's paperwork and your Passport.

4. Sometimes they want to interact with the dog, sometimes not. I had it both ways. Some agents will examine your dog, some could care less.

5. There will be an agent from the ship who will act as interpreter so don't worry about any language barriers.

6. I have NEVER, in over 19 cruises with my dogs, been denied entry into any country and except for the following: One over zealous Immigration official, who wanted to examine Brenda's paws, and one who had to get permission to allow her on the train to Zermatt, Switzerland, and a guard in Canada who wouldn't let us into the gardens and then into a restaurant. It's all pretty normal stuff for a dog traveling with you.

In New York, a cab driver swore at me in some language about Brenda getting into his cab and not being allowed to sit on the seat but rather she had to stay on the floor, as he pointed angrily at me and yelled; I made him pullover to the curb and pull the dang passenger seat forward so there was more room for her.

In Paris there were dogs everywhere. I had to watch that she didn't get nipped or attacked more than I had to excuse her in the restaurants, where there was dog poop on the floor [not from Brenda], it all seemed quite normal to all the patrons, who just stepped very lightly around the stuff!

Go, take Pedro, enjoy! You'll sense when it just doesn't feel right to take him off the ship. Take a walk down the gangplank and look around, if the hair on the back of your neck stands up......shop at the little kiosks near the ship, take a walk on terra-firma for a bit and walk right back onto the ship. Use your own good sense.

When in doubt DON'T! ;)[b]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

1. DH took our first red doberman for a walk in the neighborhood right before Christmas. She wasn't full grown, more like a teenager. They passed a little girl in her yard, and she went running into the house saying, "Mommy, mommy, I saw a REINDEER!" :D

2. We went camping at Zion National Park with our second red doberman (probably about a teenager, too). We were setting up camp when friends came back from a hike (they had come the day before) . The wife said to her DH, "Oh look, they brought their pet goat." :eek::D

1. DH took our first red doberman for a walk in the neighborhood right before Christmas. She wasn't full grown, more like a teenager. They passed a little girl in her yard, and she went running into the house saying, "Mommy, mommy, I saw a REINDEER!" :D

2. We went camping at Zion National Park with our second red doberman (probably about a teenager, too). We were setting up camp when friends came back from a hike (they had come the day before) . The wife said to her DH, "Oh look, they brought their pet goat." :eek::D

So funny!!!! You had me giggling out loud!

We all know that Horton is really Elvis!!! So nothing surprises me! :p