Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So today was a very different day for Blitz and I. We had to go to a Senators Office and ask for assistance with my claim with the VA. When Blitz meets new people I allow him to do a brief and quick sniff of those who are allowed to enter our space. Well we got to the Gvt Office Bldg and rang the buzzer, and waited to be let in the office. I did call them yesterday to ask permission to bring Blitz; I know permission is not needed since he is a documented Service Animal although I do like to warn people since he is not a small dog.

So back to todays event, the young lady opened the door and she knew Blitz was coming and asked permission to pet Blitz. I told her yes and she pet Blitz and all was OK until Blitz and that wondering nose got him in trouble. This was the first time that Blitz has ever seen a woman in a skirt. Before I could react, Blitz had his nose in between her knees and start to raise his head. OMG I gave the command to stop; and he did although I was horrified. A few minutes later the Senators Assistant came in and I warned her about Blitz and his wondering nose. She laughed and I left that office horrified from a small mistake made by Blitz the wonder dog.....

Edited by guitarest

so today was a very different day for blitz and i. We had to go to a senators office and ask for assistance with my claim with the va. When blitz meets new people i allow him to do a brief and quick sniff of those who are allowed to enter our space. Well we got to the gvt office bldg and rang the buzzer, and waited to be let in the office. I did call them yesterday to ask permission to bring blitz; i know permission is not needed since he is a documented service animal although i do like to warn people since he is not a small dog.

So back to todays event, the young lady opened the door and she knew blitz was coming and asked permission to pet blitz. I told her yes and she pet blitz and all was ok until blitz and that wondering nose got him in trouble. This was the first time that blitz has ever seen a woman in a skirt. Before i could react, blitz had his nose in between her knees and start to raise his head. Omg i gave the command to stop; and he did although i was horrified. A few minutes later the senators assistant came in and i warned her about blitz and his wondering nose. She laughed and i left that office horrified from a small mistake made by blitz the wonder dog.....

now that's funny!!

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

Called the USDA this morning and the answer appears to be no, I don't need the papers signed, which is what I thought. It appears that Canada is fairly simple. Has that been your experiences as well?

Yes, Canada accepted the same paperwork that we used for Mexico and the U.S.

Sorry to hear about Ollie's cyst. I hope he's doing better and is not feeling any pain from his surgery.

Geeezzz! The things that come-up with our dogs without any warning.

Brenda's due for her physical next week-I sure hope there's no surprises.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Roz

I have three babies and my next door neighbor has a few babies also, he has a flea problem and we do not. The difference is that I have the dogs on a oral flea preventive called Comfortis and its slightly better than program IMO. Prior to switching to a oral flea prevention we used everything and we also did baths all the time and it did not help. The baths were usually after two weeks of applying the medicine on the dogs. Within 30 minutes of giving a oral pill (my guys love the flavor) you will see dead fleas if your dog has active fleas. Its a once a month program and works great for me without getting the medicine all over my house and furniture unlike the drops that get all over everything.

So far I've had complete success with Advantix and have not noticed it getting all over anything other than Brenda. I apply it on the top of her shoulder area and that doesn't really touch much of anything else.

Hopefully, we won't have any problems. Thanks for the suggestions on the oral usage of flea med's. Never hurts to know all that's available for our dogs.

I'm writing from DH's computer today, at home. I'm having some back issues......no work today!!!

Roz

So today was a very different day for Blitz and I. We had to go to a Senators Office and ask for assistance with my claim with the VA. When Blitz meets new people I allow him to do a brief and quick sniff of those who are allowed to enter our space. Well we got to the Gvt Office Bldg and rang the buzzer, and waited to be let in the office. I did call them yesterday to ask permission to bring Blitz; I know permission is not needed since he is a documented Service Animal although I do like to warn people since he is not a small dog.

So back to todays event, the young lady opened the door and she knew Blitz was coming and asked permission to pet Blitz. I told her yes and she pet Blitz and all was OK until Blitz and that wondering nose got him in trouble. This was the first time that Blitz has ever seen a woman in a skirt. Before I could react, Blitz had his nose in between her knees and start to raise his head. OMG I gave the command to stop; and he did although I was horrified. A few minutes later the Senators Assistant came in and I warned her about Blitz and his wondering nose. She laughed and I left that office horrified from a small mistake made by Blitz the wonder dog.....

I hope that it all worked out in your favor with the politico's.

Brenda does the same thing with her nose. She goes right for people's crotche's when I'm meeting and greeting them. I've learned to put her in a "down-stay", if I'm going to be standing around and meeting and talking with people so she doesn't thoroughly embarrass me!!!!!! I hate that very normal and necessary "dog/nose" thing!!!!

Okay, other than Bltiz making your face turn red, I bet the people were so impressed by the "German Shepherd-fully trained" thing!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I hope that it all worked out in your favor with the politico's.

Brenda does the same thing with her nose. She goes right for people's crotche's when I'm meeting and greeting them. I've learned to put her in a "down-stay", if I'm going to be standing around and meeting and talking with people so she doesn't thoroughly embarrass me!!!!!! I hate that very normal and necessary "dog/nose" thing!!!!

Okay, other than Bltiz making your face turn red, I bet the people were so impressed by the "German Shepherd-fully trained" thing!!!!!

I will say one thing for sure about Blitz, he is one heck of a crowd pleaser. The first reaction is people walking away from him; although once they really meet him I can't get rid of those people; lol.

I will say one thing for sure about Blitz, he is one heck of a crowd pleaser. The first reaction is people walking away from him; although once they really meet him I can't get rid of those people; lol.

People jump out of Ollie's way too. I think it's funny to watch. He's big and black and pretty fluffy. More than once we've had comments about a wolf.

I love people's reactions more than anything else now. Traveling and going to work and into the public venue with Brenda is so much fun.

Sure, I can say that now......it wasn't all that much fun in the beginning, when I was a "newbie!" And, the manager, right here at my job, was giving me a hard time and wanting me to tie Brenda to me and tether her to my desk when she wasn't with me......she has since passed-away [may she rest in peace!] I used to let everything and everybody get to me.

Now, I walk proudly, with Brenda by my side [loose, not attached] and she visits everyone in their offices and cubicles to say hello before we take our morning walk. Everyone loves her [except for one guy] and she knows it. She never goes into his cubicle. Dogs are so smart about people!!!!

You guys know that I'm cruising in September. Well, I was cruising with my daughter Robyn. Brenda and Morey were staying home. Robyn called yesterday and is having some health issues that will not allow her to either fly or take a long drive to us. She lives in Livermore. Her ongoing health problems are truly ruling her life right now......It breaks my heart for her.

Amazing how things can change on a dime. Morey was listening to my conversation with Robyn and said, very loudly, "I'll go and so will Brenda!" I'm shocked, he said he was done with cruising for a while.....and, now he's back onboard. So, it looks like it's going to be Morey, me and Brenda on the Sapphire Princess on September 24th.

I really don't want to cancel this cruise....it's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.......cruise under the Golden Gate Bridge. And, having Morey and Brenda along really complete my Bucket List. :)

I love people's reactions more than anything else now. Traveling and going to work and into the public venue with Brenda is so much fun.

Sure, I can say that now......it wasn't all that much fun in the beginning, when I was a "newbie!" And, the manager, right here at my job, was giving me a hard time and wanting me to tie Brenda to me and tether her to my desk when she wasn't with me......she has since passed-away [may she rest in peace!] I used to let everything and everybody get to me.

Now, I walk proudly, with Brenda by my side [loose, not attached] and she visits everyone in their offices and cubicles to say hello before we take our morning walk. Everyone loves her [except for one guy] and she knows it. She never goes into his cubicle. Dogs are so smart about people!!!!

I hear ya, I am fairly new at the Service dog thing; yet very comfortable with trained dogs. King (he is waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge) was recognized by the American Red Cross for assisting with catching looters after Katrina. I still fell slightly weird with Blitz since King was very much trained (I trained King) although his training was closer to a K-9 and like a real K-9 King would be on guard 7X24. King was always very aware of our surroundings and very protective of me even towards the his finally losing his fight with his illness. King was a American German Shepherd and there is a huge difference between American and German blood lines in this breed. The American blood lines are actually more laid back while the German (Blitz is German and Czech) are harder working and Blitz has to have a job or he can get into trouble looking for things to do. So with that knowledge while Blitz has never shown any aggressive attitude towards anyone except one person; this happened Easter Sunday this past year. We were walking along a boardwalk towards a fishing pier and Blitz did not show teeth although he did let the man know that he was paying attention to his actions. The man had suddenly stopped walking when I finally picked up on Blitz's erratic behavior and turned around to see what was bothering Blitz. The man had a huge kitchen knife in his hand and it was pointing towards our direction. Kinda freaky although during that incident Blitz never lost his composure. I do not fear Blitz ever attacking anyone unless that individual tries to hurt me.

But after the skirt raising incident two days ago I feel Blitz is in this for himself and using me to meet people and stick his nose into inappropriate places on women; lol.

Edited by guitarest

You guys know that I'm cruising in September. Well, I was cruising with my daughter Robyn. Brenda and Morey were staying home. Robyn called yesterday and is having some health issues that will not allow her to either fly or take a long drive to us. She lives in Livermore. Her ongoing health problems are truly ruling her life right now......It breaks my heart for her.

Amazing how things can change on a dime. Morey was listening to my conversation with Robyn and said, very loudly, "I'll go and so will Brenda!" I'm shocked, he said he was done with cruising for a while.....and, now he's back onboard. So, it looks like it's going to be Morey, me and Brenda on the Sapphire Princess on September 24th.

I really don't want to cancel this cruise....it's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.......cruise under the Golden Gate Bridge. And, having Morey and Brenda along really complete my Bucket List. :)

So sorry to hear about your daughter and her health issues. But atleast something good has come from it. I'm so happy Morey and Brenny will be going with you!!! Sounds like it will be a beautiful trip. I'm jealous!:(

John and I were just checking out some cruises for

Dec2012/Jan2013. I figure if we are not going to take a trip this year, we might be able to get a suite and take my son with us on the next cruise. The suites are actually not as outrageous as we thought. And hopefully we can convince you to come too!! With the new baby of course. Maybe we can get Sunshine to come too! She can do some training with the dogs. LOL :D

I hear ya, I am fairly new at the Service dog thing; yet very comfortable with trained dogs. King (he is waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge) was recognized by the American Red Cross for assisting with catching looters after Katrina. I still fell slightly weird with Blitz since King was very much trained (I trained King) although his training was closer to a K-9 and like a real K-9 King would be on guard 7X24. King was always very aware of our surroundings and very protective of me even towards the his finally losing his fight with his illness. King was a American German Shepherd and there is a huge difference between American and German blood lines in this breed. The American blood lines are actually more laid back while the German (Blitz is German and Czech) are harder working and Blitz has to have a job or he can get into trouble looking for things to do. So with that knowledge while Blitz has never shown any aggressive attitude towards anyone except one person; this happened Easter Sunday this past year. We were walking along a boardwalk towards a fishing pier and Blitz did not show teeth although he did let the man know that he was paying attention to his actions. The man had suddenly stopped walking when I finally picked up on Blitz's erratic behavior and turned around to see what was bothering Blitz. The man had a huge kitchen knife in his hand and it was pointing towards our direction. Kinda freaky although during that incident Blitz never lost his composure. I do not fear Blitz ever attacking anyone unless that individual tries to hurt me.

But after the skirt raising incident two days ago I feel Blitz is in this for himself and using me to meet people and stick his nose into inappropriate places on women; lol.

Just like a man sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. But he can get away with it.

So sorry to hear about your daughter and her health issues. But atleast something good has come from it. I'm so happy Morey and Brenny will be going with you!!! Sounds like it will be a beautiful trip. I'm jealous!:(

John and I were just checking out some cruises for

Dec2012/Jan2013. I figure if we are not going to take a trip this year, we might be able to get a suite and take my son with us on the next cruise. The suites are actually not as outrageous as we thought. And hopefully we can convince you to come too!! With the new baby of course. Maybe we can get Sunshine to come too! She can do some training with the dogs. LOL :D

Thank you Cindy. Robyn had a simple gall bladder surgery last year and from that got a staph infection that has affected her left leg and foot. She's had another surgery where they thought they could correct the problem and it only made it worse......poor little thing. I say a prayer for her every night!

The changing of the names/insurance and cancelling the power scooter will have to be done. I'm going to do it after my interview with CCI next Friday.

You pick-out your cruising date and let me know. Barring that it's not durning one of my events, I will do everything I can to be on the same ship. I'd love it.

I know John has to go through a surgery first. And, you must keep us informed as to how his doing.

Did you hear about the new Princess "no smoking" rules starting on January 15th? There's a big thread on everyone's likes and dislikes about it. I almost got myself in trouble. You know me.....always got something to add!!!!!

There's a gal who comes into our building, in a wheelchair, with a Standard White Poodle and the dog is wearing a CCI vest.

I just had to approach her and ask questions. She told me this is her second Standard Poodle trained by CCI. She begged and pleaded with CCI to train the poodle's because she is so severly allergic and really wanted the assistance of a Service Dog. I didn't want to push her on how she got CCI to train her dogs [she must have some inside connection] next time I see her, I'm going to really ask questions.

The dog is so huge and gorgeous!!!!!

Wow that CCI appointment seemed so far away and now it's here :eek: Just like Johns surgery :( My stupid son got a tatoo a few years back and got a staff infection. It took a few rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. Scary thing to get.

Wasn't the purpose of breeding the Labradoodle for people who were allergic to dogs? I wonder why that kind of dog wouldn't have worked for that girl. The other org we got Rangeley from, trained alot of poodles.

Wow that CCI appointment seemed so far away and now it's here :eek: Just like Johns surgery :( My stupid son got a tatoo a few years back and got a staff infection. It took a few rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. Scary thing to get.

Wasn't the purpose of breeding the Labradoodle for people who were allergic to dogs? I wonder why that kind of dog wouldn't have worked for that girl. The other org we got Rangeley from, trained alot of poodles.

I'm so excited. We're leaving for Oceanside on Thursday and the interview starts early Friday morning. I interview in Oceanside but the TeamTraining for Hearing Dogs is always held in Santa Rosa.

CCI talks about training the Labradoodle but they don't have the breeding program up and running yet. I wish they did!!!!!

Took this today. This is Blitz and my daughters puppy Dia. The white GSD mix is Sarge who is a Katrina rescue; he has been a wonderful addition to my little family since 2005.

Pay attention to Blitz and his body movements; I taught him to nod his head yes by hand signals off camera. So I can ask a question of anything and a movement of my hand will result in Blitz doing a yes or no head movement.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EOmLTCqQo8

Took this today. This is Blitz and my daughters puppy Dia. The white GSD mix is Sarge who is a Katrina rescue; he has been a wonderful addition to my little family since 2005.

Pay attention to Blitz and his body movements; I taught him to nod his head yes by hand signals off camera. So I can ask a question of anything and a movement of my hand will result in Blitz doing a yes or no head movement.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EOmLTCqQo8

Very cool! Boy, Blitz loves the ball like Brenda does. You have quite a menagerie of dogs. Good for you. They're great company.

Very cool! Boy, Blitz loves the ball like Brenda does. You have quite a menagerie of dogs. Good for you. They're great company.

I officially have only one, the puppy belongs to my daughter and its visiting and I am puppy sitting. The Sarge (white pup) belongs to my son who is station at 29 Palms although Sarge has been with me his entire life I feel if he was removed from here it would be difficult for him to adjust since he does have medical issues from Katrina. There is another dog here Willie, who is my daughters and she should have taken him with her when she moved away; although she did not. Blitz is all mine..... Yes we are a very happy pack when the daughter and puppy are not around stirring things up.

Glad yall enjoyed the video.