Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well I will not even comment on the "death" plans, mainly because my Bailee will be gone 1year on saturday and I don't want to discuss it. :mad:

I do want to comment on the fur issue. When they get older the fur changes alot. They get what I call "poofs", little clumps of hair you can see that are a different color. I used to sit Rangeley and Bailee (and my other lab Rebel) down and pull them out before they fell out all over my rug. I'm not sure why it happens but all 3 labs have gotten them.

Cindy

Mornin' all:

Remember those tufts well. They sure came out easy, though. Jezzy Lou's hair is more along the "wired" hair from the terrier in her. She hates brushes, brooms or anything like that. Jumps on the broom and bites and growls at it. She finally let me brush her the other night. I'm not sure how much good it did, it is a soft rubber one. I think she has sensitive skin. Although groomers always say no problem with her. Maybe she knows she can get away with it with mom!

Well I will not even comment on the "death" plans, mainly because my Bailee will be gone 1year on saturday and I don't want to discuss it. :mad:

I do want to comment on the fur issue. When they get older the fur changes alot. They get what I call "poofs", little clumps of hair you can see that are a different color. I used to sit Rangeley and Bailee (and my other lab Rebel) down and pull them out before they fell out all over my rug. I'm not sure why it happens but all 3 labs have gotten them.

Cindy

Yep, that's exactly what they looked like "poofs!" They're gone, between the groomer and our brushing, she's looking more like a dog and not a "shedding sheep!"

She's still my beautiful Brenda but she's different; she has so much gray around her face, stomach and on her sides, with a bonier shape face, she's still having joyful moments on the grass and wanting to catch her stuffies and "alert" to sounds in her environment, she definitely is not ready to stop working, she's just much slower now-I want her with me forever, such a great girl!

I saw a big yellow Renie boy riding in the car with his mom, with his big ole head hanging out the back window! He was almost as big as the car! Miss my boy.

Awww! You sure loved Reno and he knew it!!!! Brenda will not stick her head out the window....so funny! She'll waft her nose in the air as we're driving along but her head stays inside!

Roz: Reno didn't like to stick his head out either, just sniffing the air. The big guy I saw had his head out, though. I think it was because it was a small car and he probably felt stuffed in it! I think the black labs are more prone to the gray muzzles. I could be wrong or it is just harder to see on the chocolate and yellows. My friend has a black lab and she said he is only 6, but he already has gray on his muzzle?

Roz: Reno didn't like to stick his head out either, just sniffing the air. The big guy I saw had his head out, though. I think it was because it was a small car and he probably felt stuffed in it! I think the black labs are more prone to the gray muzzles. I could be wrong or it is just harder to see on the chocolate and yellows. My friend has a black lab and she said he is only 6, but he already has gray on his muzzle?

I think I already told you guys that when I was interviewing, over the phone, with CCI and they asked me if I had a preference for a Successor Dog....I only asked for a tall dog [since I'm tall and I think a tall dog would make it easier for me when I'm putting on the vest and collar] but other than that I didn't make any other likes or dislikes.

I've loved having my Black Lab [never thought I'd ever be saying that], so if my next dog is another Black Lab, I'll be happy. I love the English Lab [with their big square head.] I'd love another dog who looked just like Miss B.

We'll see......Honestly, who ever CCI thinks is a good match for me is what I'll be happy with. They're all so amazingly wonderful!!!!! I'd be lucky to have any one of them.

Mornin' all:

Roz: I love the big "block" (pun intended) head too! They look so big and huggable. I know you will love any dog CCI matches you with. They will pick another winner, I am sure. Ms. Brenny is gonna be the best big sister ever. :)

"Big Sister", doesn't that sound so cute and sweet. Wouldn't it be awful if she was mean to "Successor"........we'll see! This is where my "dog handling" skills will really come into view!!!!

Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day, everyone!

"Big Sister", doesn't that sound so cute and sweet. Wouldn't it be awful if she was mean to "Successor"........we'll see! This is where my "dog handling" skills will really come into view!!!!

Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day, everyone!

I think what you will see is the new younger dog coming in and thinking he/she will be the boss over the older dog. But what will happen is Brenda will let him/her know that she may be old but this is her house and her people. It won't take long before everyone finds their place. We have an 11 year old Lab and a 6 year old Yorkie. The Lab (Magic) is the boss. The Yorkie (Chaos) is her pup. And Orson is just Orson. :D

I think what you will see is the new younger dog coming in and thinking he/she will be the boss over the older dog. But what will happen is Brenda will let him/her know that she may be old but this is her house and her people. It won't take long before everyone finds their place. We have an 11 year old Lab and a 6 year old Yorkie. The Lab (Magic) is the boss. The Yorkie (Chaos) is her pup. And Orson is just Orson. :D

How cute. But, seriously, where did Orson fit into this pack? Did Magic allow him in easily and, since Chaos is Magic's pup, did Magic & Chaos kind of push Orson out from day one?

Also, Orson is the dog that gets to go "everywhere" so he probably feels pretty special in that way. Very interesting dynamic.

Morey and Brenda are pretty tight.......If I slip my hand in to pet her while Morey's petting her she'll pick her head up and look at me as if to say, "excuse me, we're busy here!"

I think she'll be happy as heck to have Morey all to herself when Successor and I leave.....although, she's still beating me to the door every morning. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how it all plays-out once we have another dog in her life.

How cute. But, seriously, where did Orson fit into this pack? Did Magic allow him in easily and, since Chaos is Magic's pup, did Magic & Chaos kind of push Orson out from day one?

Also, Orson is the dog that gets to go "everywhere" so he probably feels pretty special in that way. Very interesting dynamic.

Morey and Brenda are pretty tight.......If I slip my hand in to pet her while Morey's petting her she'll pick her head up and look at me as if to say, "excuse me, we're busy here!"

I think she'll be happy as heck to have Morey all to herself when Successor and I leave.....although, she's still beating me to the door every morning. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how it all plays-out once we have another dog in her life.

Orson is a VERY submissive dog so he fell into his place (dead last) without any trouble at all. Every once in a while Magic will let Orson know who is boss with a little hump. But there was never any real problems when we brought Orson home. The one thing we did do was have them meet outside in front of the house. This way we were never in magic's territory. Like in the house or back yard.

And your right. Orson probably feels special when he leaves with us and the other two have to stay home.

Orson is a VERY submissive dog so he fell into his place (dead last) without any trouble at all. Every once in a while Magic will let Orson know who is boss with a little hump. But there was never any real problems when we brought Orson home. The one thing we did do was have them meet outside in front of the house. This way we were never in magic's territory. Like in the house or back yard.

And your right. Orson probably feels special when he leaves with us and the other two have to stay home.

If I had worked with Service Dogs years ago, when I was much younger, it probably would have been the path that I took, vocation wise. I find dog behavior/training and all that goes with it so, so interesting.

I absolutely love when we go to CCI in Santa Rosa. So much going on and observing the puppies in training and watching the trainers with them is so much fun. I like Oceanside but not nearly as much as Santa Rosa.

I could NEVER be a PuppyRaiser though......that really takes a certain type of person, with the patience and heart of a Saint.

In contrast to the recent Carnival thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420464. Let's hope this one will remain as civil and appreciative as it is tonight.

You know, so much of the ankst and fear that people feel when they see a dog in an unfamiliar place is just plain "ignorance" and, I don't mean that in a pajorative way, I truly mean that most folks simply don't have knowledge about the Service/Working Dog and all that they can do.

They don't know that these dogs come in all shapes and sizes and, if they should be lucky enough to come across one in their travels onboard a cruise ship, they should realize exactly what it took to get that dog on that ship.

We're here to help and inform each other and to be each other's "rock" on this thread and I hope it NEVER goes away!!!!!!

We've been "here" for each other when we had training questions, when we had feeding and exercise questions and when we were deeply saddened by the loss or sickness of our fur partners.

I am so grateful for being able to share my cruising experiences with Brenda, with all of you and so thankful for everyone's input as my beautiful girl is aging and the help that I'm getting as I go through the "Successor" process, everyone's input means the world to me!

I'm forever grateful that we have this thread to do all of this.

Mornin' all:

Roz: You are so right. I think the old stigma that a guide dog is only for blind people is instilled in people's minds. So if the person can see, then it must be a pet in disguise! After typing this, this is the first time I have thought about a gentleman that ran our luncheonette at one of the jobs I had years ago. He was blind and had a beautiful german shepherd. No one every complained or said a word that there was a "dog" in an eating establishment. Fond memories. I worked with his wife. She reminds me of Mimi on the Drew Carey show. They were so funny. This makes my day.

On a lighter note...but still filled with angst and shame...I tell everyone that "My Dog has Fleas!". Good Lord, after 7 years of religious application of flea preventative medication, my sweet Sandy has a rashy belly, sore underarms, licked red parts we wont' describe in proper company and about 4 fleas! So, one flea bath later, antibiotics and a long discussion with the vet regarding skin and allergies in the labrador retriever (not to mention a very $$$ vet bill) Sandy is drugged up and still a bit rashy. Rich and I keep checking her out and ourseleves for fleas.....Why again did I switch her from a less expensive flea\heartworm managment plan to a pricey flea/tick/managment plan...maybe I need to buy a bridge in brooklyn or some property in florida.

On a lighter note...but still filled with angst and shame...I tell everyone that "My Dog has Fleas!". Good Lord, after 7 years of religious application of flea preventative medication, my sweet Sandy has a rashy belly, sore underarms, licked red parts we wont' describe in proper company and about 4 fleas! So, one flea bath later, antibiotics and a long discussion with the vet regarding skin and allergies in the labrador retriever (not to mention a very $$$ vet bill) Sandy is drugged up and still a bit rashy. Rich and I keep checking her out and ourseleves for fleas.....Why again did I switch her from a less expensive flea\heartworm managment plan to a pricey flea/tick/managment plan...maybe I need to buy a bridge in brooklyn or some property in florida.

I am sitting here with Morey hysterically laughing at your writings. I know, I know, it's not a bit funny but the way you put it really made us laugh. Poor Sandy girl, those damn little buggers are painful, not to mention the expense of it all. It's the "itch" that no matter how much you scratch it, it just gets worse. Here come the oatmeal baths.

And, that's a good question, why did you switch her and better than that, why the heck didn't it work? I thought this stuff works in keeping the fleas and ticks away.......it costs enough money, it should have worked.

Now, you've got me checking and re-checking Brenda.

Not to change the subject.....on the National Geographic Channel, today, was a special on Police Dogs and Service Dogs. They showed the Medical Alert/Hearing/Seeing Eye and Rescue Dogs. They showed the dogs who sniff-out cancer and they really highlighted CCI and the Hearing Dog. Great Show!

Back to Sandy, Sunshine, I'm sorry about Sandy's flea issue and I hope that she's feeling better very soon...........Tell us what brand you were using, I'm all stocked-up on Advantix. Will I be sorry?

Hey, everyone! It has been a bit since I've been on here. I was busy and had a trip to Las Vegas (which was a blast!) and stuff. I just wanted to check in and say hi! Not much else to say. :)

Quam: I was wondering where you were! Glad you're okay and back with us. I'll be doing a Vegas run on July 17th...can't wait. Hope you saved some for me!!!!

Mornin' all:

Quam: I was also thinking about you the other day. I know once you told us if you didn't have a cruise booked that you don't visit as often. That means you missed the nasty thread on Carnival about service dogs and cruises. Actually some uniformed person started it as something like "take you pet on a Carnival cruise." It got down right nasty. Even showed pictures of Barb's own little Valentine. Thank goodness it was locked and sent to pasture. Glad you are back.

Sandy is taking more medication that Rich's Mom. I think I am going to start calling her "Gram". At least she is not obsessed with her bowel habits.

Actually, we switched her from Advantage to Advantix. Fleas are really bad in Georgia so far this year, so many vets are recomending flea protection every 3 weeks instead of four......

Sandy is taking meds twice a day. Baths twice a week. I think I might need a flea coller before this is resolved. The rash has subsided and the licking and scratching have improved...

In honor of Memorial Day, I want to share the story of this picture which was taken yesterday. Teresa (at the far left in the picture) and Marion (at the far right) are dear friends I have known since high school--they are both police officers in my hometown.

The handsome German Shephard Dog in the picture is "Josh," Teresa's partner--a patrol and drug detection dog. Josh is a very brave police officer but when he is not working he's a "pussycat" and a beloved member of his family. He loves his Moms and his two canine and one feline "sisters" very much.

So you ask, "What does this have to do with Memorial Day?"

Which brings me to the two men in the picture. Standing next to Josh is Sgt. Sal Giunta who some of you may have seen on "60 Minutes" tonight. Sgt. Giunta is the first living Medal of Honor recipient since the Vietnam era. Standing next to Sgt. Giunta is Mike Brennan, another police officer from my hometown and the father of Joshua Brennan, the wounded soldier for whom Sgt. Giunta risked his life to save from the Taliban fighters who were trying to drag him off as a "trophy."

As you've probably guessed by now, Josh the GSD is named in honor of Joshua Brennan, who died of his injuries the next day.

More than a million Americans have died fighting for our country since 1775. Please take a minute tomorrow to remember all of them but especially Josh Brennan who died on October 26, 2007. I'm sure soldier Josh is an angel now who keeps Teresa and doggie Josh safe as they serve and protect.

Kathi

Josh.jpg.f383f44ce1e5f067f2ece379d1a3312c.jpg

I do not use the flea meds that is applied between the shoulders on any of my pups, I have had my lil guys on oral (pills) for years now not a flea in sight. Blitz's lil sister was too young for the pills and had loads of fleas as a pup until she was old enought to take a pill. No more fleas.... Plus you dont have to worry about the meds washing off.

J