Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey Guys! Sorry I've been gone so long. We are still dealing with health issues with Rich's mom and it is keeping us both busy. And tired. And stressed. And sometimes sad...But Good News: I just completed by third Iron Girl Triathalon this morning. Instead of celebrating with a boat day, we are preparing to go over to Gram's to check her out. She fell last night and dislocated her artifical hip. Locally they were able to relocate it in the ED. But, it meant a long night for Rich as he and I were at the hotel, trying to rest before the triathalon. Rich went to the ED. I shed some selfish tears thinking no one would be at the finsih line for me. But, Rich made it back by 3am, got up with me at 4:30 am and is still going.

Next time I'll have fun Cooler stories for you.

Sunshine, I hope this finds Rich's mom doing somewhat better. Talk about exhausting.....Rich is a very special guy, the way he divides his time between his mom and you.

How'd you do at the Triathalon? [You are such an amazing woman.] Who do you think you are? Superwoman!!!!!!!! If anyone could pull this off - it would be you!

Hey Guys! Sorry I've been gone so long. We are still dealing with health issues with Rich's mom and it is keeping us both busy. And tired. And stressed. And sometimes sad...But Good News: I just completed by third Iron Girl Triathalon this morning. Instead of celebrating with a boat day, we are preparing to go over to Gram's to check her out. She fell last night and dislocated her artifical hip. Locally they were able to relocate it in the ED. But, it meant a long night for Rich as he and I were at the hotel, trying to rest before the triathalon. Rich went to the ED. I shed some selfish tears thinking no one would be at the finsih line for me. But, Rich made it back by 3am, got up with me at 4:30 am and is still going.

Next time I'll have fun Cooler stories for you.

Sunshine, Glad to hear from you. We all have our hard times and we are here to support you when you need us. Seems we are all going through something at the same time. Hope everything works out.

Congrats on your triathalon!!!! Your hubby sounds like a great guy, you better keep him.

Wow is ther ever a situation over on the Carnival Board. They are really talking down on service dogs! Poor Valentine has been targeted and has had her picture p.osted as a fake service dog. I could really use your help over there here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1410108

Whew--finally got that ridiculous thread locked down tonight. Don't know if it was just me but I was happy to see the mods lock it within an hour of my flagging it.

It got to the point that people were bumping it up just to keep the trolls going! I tried at the beginning to provide some actual information (as I know many of you did too) but the past couple days were just people baiting each other.

The main thing that thread did was put me off of ever cruising with Carnival--those folks are just plain mean!

Whew--finally got that ridiculous thread locked down tonight. Don't know if it was just me but I was happy to see the mods lock it within an hour of my flagging it.

It got to the point that people were bumping it up just to keep the trolls going! I tried at the beginning to provide some actual information (as I know many of you did too) but the past couple days were just people baiting each other.

The main thing that thread did was put me off of ever cruising with Carnival--those folks are just plain mean!

I'm glad you did that, even though some of my posts were removed towards the end. I did provide some facts - they were ignored. I must learn not to try and reason with idiots!! :D

Don't discount Carnival b/c of that thread. There was a good bit of support, but the people with brains in their head backed off when the trolls took over. I appreciated the info you provided, thank you.:)

Celle, you tried, bless your heart. Some people are just too darned hard-headed and hard-hearted for their own good. That's what I was seeing, and like you said, can't reason with idiots.

Edited by newcatintown

I'm glad you did that, even though some of my posts were removed towards the end. I did provide some facts - they were ignored. I must learn not to try and reason with idiots!! :D

Don't discount Carnival b/c of that thread. There was a good bit of support, but the people with brains in their head backed off when the trolls took over. I appreciated the info you provided, thank you.:)

Celle, you tried, bless your heart. Some people are just too darned hard-headed and hard-hearted for their own good. That's what I was seeing, and like you said, can't reason with idiots.

Oh! No! Please don't blame Carnival for the rantings of some.

Although, we do prefer Princess to Carnival, it's fun to meet new folks on all different lines.

Thanks for your support. I'm just a bit crabby after seeing what's been going on in that thread for the past couple days. I realize that a few trolls don't represent the majority of Carnival passengers.

But let's just let sleeping dogs lie (pun totally intended!) and get back to sharing stories about our furry helpers and, most importantly, our cruises!

I had to stop reading that Carnival thread. You don't know how much I wanted to comment there, but you could see there were some real idiots that didn't want to listen or learn. I knew I would blow up so I restrained myself :D

Cindy

I had to stop reading that Carnival thread. You don't know how much I wanted to comment there, but you could see there were some real idiots that didn't want to listen or learn. I knew I would blow up so I restrained myself :D

Cindy

Good girl, I'm proud of you. I just hope that Valentine's Mom understands that there will ALWAYS be folks who just plain don't like dogs and when they see one in THEIR space, they can literally become unglued [and, unhinged!]

Most importantly, the people who do handle a Service/Working Dog should feel that the world is open to them, to enjoy in any way they can along with their amazing dogs.

Cruising with your dog is pure joy and has the potential of bringing the world to you onboard an elegant floating hotel.

Afternoon all:

And, Miriam and I were the last two to post! I see that as a victory, since I had to use caps and large font to yell at the fools! I couldn't believe it went so long. I am sure something else will pop up in the next day or two.

I have seriously thought that the moderators actually stir the pot and start some of the threads, not that one, but smuggling alcohol and dress code ones, just to get some banter going. Maybe, maybe not.

I agree there are a lot of strange people on that thread, down right MEAN. It reminds me of the ****s of years gone by. Everyone not absoutl perfect was not to try to go out or try anything. I'm glad to see that it's gone. I did write a not to the moderators last night also. It went fron information to just plain mean.

They were also picking at poor Valentine. Don't worry about us thoough Roz. Valentine and I were talking about our next cruise (in Europe) and she says she wants a new foo foo dress and head piece for every night of the 16 day cruise instead of her same old working vest. She also said that she wants to travel in style in a stroller instead of her inconspictuous doggy roller board type luggage.

No I haven't gone bonkers yet but they were using her PICTURE and she was doing exactly what she is trained to do,ride in the travel case and be quiet inconspictous and keep an eye, ear, and nose on Mommy.

At the end they were picking on scooters and electric wheelchairs. I use a scooter part time and when I do Valentine rides with me in the basket. I have MS among other things and sometimes I can walk and sometines I cant.

We could really freak out some people if we wanted. Valentine could wear fancy dresses, shoes, ribbons, and sunglasses and ride in a stroller, LOL What do you think LOL You just have to laugh. A couple of those people have problems.

Seriously though. I was thinking of using her stroller this time but not so much for her but for me. It acts like a walker and I stand straighter and have something to hold on to for suport. What do you think,. Too Much?

I agree there are a lot of strange people on that thread' date=' down right MEAN. It reminds me of the ****s of years gone by. Everyone not absoutl perfect was not to try to go out or try anything. I'm glad to see that it's gone. I did write a not to the moderators last night also. It went fron information to just plain mean.

They were also picking at poor Valentine. Don't worry about us thoough Roz. Valentine and I were talking about our next cruise (in Europe) and she says she wants a new foo foo dress and head piece for every night of the 16 day cruise instead of her same old working vest. She also said that she wants to travel in style in a stroller instead of her inconspictuous doggy roller board type luggage.

No I haven't gone bonkers yet but they were using her PICTURE and she was doing exactly what she is trained to do,ride in the travel case and be quiet inconspictous and keep an eye, ear, and nose on Mommy.

At the end they were picking on scooters and electric wheelchairs. I use a scooter part time and when I do Valentine rides with me in the basket. I have MS among other things and sometimes I can walk and sometines I cant.

We could really freak out some people if we wanted. Valentine could wear fancy dresses, shoes, ribbons, and sunglasses and ride in a stroller, LOL What do you think LOL You just have to laugh. A couple of those people have problems.

Seriously though. I was thinking of using her stroller this time but not so much for her but for me. It acts like a walker and I stand straighter and have something to hold on to for suport. What do you think,. Too Much?

Go for it!!

Enjoy your cruise. It's nobody's business why you take your wonderful Valentine.

If I ever see you on a cruise, I'll be sure to ask if i can meet Valentine.

When I was first diagnosed I had vertigo every single day. I couldn't walk without bumping into walls and the only thing that took away the vertigo [beside the meclazine] was driving in the car [so weird!]

The doctor recommended I use a "walker", to help steady me.....well, I wasn't going to do that. I saw my neighbor with her "granny cart" and asked if I could try walking with it......it was perfect [as long as it had something in it, to stabilize it.] I bought one, and have been using it ever since [about 9 years now.] I don't have the vertigo everyday but rather than take a chance, I use the cart to just make sure it won't come back!!!! ;):p The cart is great for holding that extra stuff that I don't want to carry too!!!!

I even use the cart when were going cruising/flying/on the train and on a bus. When I finally got Brenda, I just attached her leash to the cart and we're good to go. I can walk the cart right up to the door of the plane [they tag it, take it away and bring it back when I get off!]

You use whatever it takes to make your life easier. As long as Valentine is comfortable, you should be too!!!!!

When I was first diagnosed I had vertigo every single day. I couldn't walk without bumping into walls and the only thing that took away the vertigo [beside the meclazine] was driving in the car [so weird!]

The doctor recommended I use a "walker", to help steady me.....well, I wasn't going to do that. I saw my neighbor with her "granny cart" and asked if I could try walking with it......it was perfect [as long as it had something in it, to stabilize it.] I bought one, and have been using it ever since [about 9 years now.] I don't have the vertigo everyday but rather than take a chance, I use the cart to just make sure it won't come back!!!! ;):p The cart is great for holding that extra stuff that I don't want to carry too!!!!

I even use the cart when were going cruising/flying/on the train and on a bus. When I finally got Brenda, I just attached her leash to the cart and we're good to go. I can walk the cart right up to the door of the plane [they tag it, take it away and bring it back when I get off!]

You use whatever it takes to make your life easier. As long as Valentine is comfortable, you should be too!!!!!

I have a "granny cart". When I first came here we made fun of them, then I realized it would be great for me. I have to park in the back parking lot, so it's a good walk to the building. The cart is a life saver. I take laundry home to CT so the cart is great for lugging it to my car, also for groceries. Guess I am old now. :mad:

Cindy

You guys are the Greatest! The stroller started out to be a joke but I am thinking seriously about it. The 2 basic reasons are it keeps me walking and upright and she enjoys it and can hide when she's had too many drive by pettings. I can just zip her in and leave an opening between us for her to do her job. I just might do it!! Phooy to everyone who complains. So long about October or November on the T/A for the Majic someone is complaining about a foo foo pet you will know it it only Valentine just doing out thing. LOL:D

You guys are the Greatest! The stroller started out to be a joke but I am thinking seriously about it. The 2 basic reasons are it keeps me walking and upright and she enjoys it and can hide when she's had too many drive by pettings. I can just zip her in and leave an opening between us for her to do her job. I just might do it!! Phooy to everyone who complains. So long about October or November on the T/A for the Majic someone is complaining about a foo foo pet you will know it it only Valentine just doing out thing. LOL:D

Hi Val's Mom! You were so brave to jump into that darn thread and you deserve to do whatever you want for your Magic TA! But having just researched strollers for my new grandniece, they're pretty much flimsy junk unless you're willing to spend upwards of $200. Might be better to invest in a good rollator with a basket and seat like this: http://www.1stseniorcare.com/browseproducts/TuffCare-R430-Walker-with-basket.html. Put Valentine in a zip carrier (with the zipper open) in the basket and you've got a mobility aid, dog carrier and handy-dandy chair for waiting in lines all in one!

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide to do. We loved our November TA a few years ago--the weather and seas were superb!

Kathi

Hi Val's Mom! You were so brave to jump into that darn thread and you deserve to do whatever you want for your Magic TA! But having just researched strollers for my new grandniece, they're pretty much flimsy junk unless you're willing to spend upwards of $200. Might be better to invest in a good rollator with a basket and seat like this: http://www.1stseniorcare.com/browseproducts/TuffCare-R430-Walker-with-basket.html. Put Valentine in a zip carrier (with the zipper open) in the basket and you've got a mobility aid, dog carrier and handy-dandy chair for waiting in lines all in one!

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide to do. We loved our November TA a few years ago--the weather and seas were superb!

Kathi

Hi Kath,

My mother used one of those walkers that roll. It was fine for me But Valentine absolutely hated it. She is very small and her feet would fall through and if I tried to line it with say a towel , she would just want out. Fellt unsafe. I .have a pretty good doggy stroller that I use when we travel in our RV to keep the bugs off. I;m really leaning this way though,:D

Kathi

That looks really nice......Wouldn't it be nice if they made something like that to fit a 60lb Lab. Then when Brenda got tired we could just ask her to take a seat and we could just keep on going. Very funny to picture!!!! ;)

Here is a picture of Valentine while we were on the Grand Princess

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15&g2_serialNumber=2

What a beautiful little girl.....I want to hold and hug her!

The fact that she's Barb's "life saver" makes her the "cutest, little, super-hero" I've ever seen!!!!

I would love to be on a cruise with all of you! Hopefully, one day, it will happen!

:)

oh crap!! what is the name of that? mal de something or another... like never losing your sea legs once on land. I saw a doc on this a while back and it was about a woman that came down with it after flying (not her first rodeo here either). Driving became here refuge, it was the only time she could get relief. Ruined her marriage and job. Bless your heart :)

Edited by newcatintown

:)

oh crap!! what is the name of that? mal de something or another... like never losing your sea legs once on land. I saw a doc on this a while back and it was about a woman that came down with it after flying (not her first rodeo here either). Driving became here refuge, it was the only time she could get relief. Ruined her marriage and job. Bless your heart :)

"mal de debarquement". The fluid in the semi-circular canals in your ear keeps moving, as it has been doing on the ship. It can take a while to settle down after you get off the ship.

My DH, who was already partially deaf in both ears, had a diving accident and ruptured one of the windows between his middle and inner ear (just one ear). Sea water rushed in at pressure, because he was underwater. It knocked off all the little hairs that react to sound, and left him permanently almost totally deaf in that ear.

Losing his hearing was a real downer, but the worst thing about the accident was that he had extreme dizziness and nausea for months afterwards and couldn't lift his head off the pillow without vomiting. He had to wear an anti-nausea patch behind his ear for months.

He eventually had the torn hole repaired, which cured the dizziness and nausea, but his hearing will never come back.

I've said before that I think I am his hearing service dog - one day he may be ready to accept four-legged help, but until then, I'm it! :D

Edited by celle