Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We made it back from Mexico. What a pain. Maybe it's different while going into the country on a cruise ship but once we got to the airport, they brought us to the area to look at the papers. I had the international certificate, rabies and distemper certification, but because the paper did not have the date that he last had his frontline and heartworm treatment (which was about 2 weeks ago), there were problems. They called a vet and for $50 cash, US dollars, they gave the dog some pill (sealed in a package) to treat intestinal parasites. (I should say my husband gave the dog the pill. The vet didn't even look at the dog, pet him, etc.) The agricultural official was filling out the paperwork to clear him through customs before the vet even got there. This must be somewhat common because there was a business card stapled into the phone book of the doctor they called. "Hola, Pedro! Que pasa?" which meant to me that he's there frequently. I said to my husband that I bet the vet and the official split the money.

When we got back to the US, the US customs official that reviewed our paperwork said it's a 50/50 on what the Mexicans want.

Anyway, the trip was short and we could have used another day, but we needed to conserve my husband's vacation time for the cruise in June. The resort was just beautiful. Extremely clean and the staff was very friendly. They were great with the dog once we got it straight at the restaurant that it was OK for him to be there (I had that paper too). "Ooh perro, muy bonito" was a phrase we heard a lot. I highly recommend this place. If anyone would like the info, I'd be happy to share.

Now moving onto the science fair, dance recitals, and little league before the end of the school year and our trip to Alaska!

The worst part is the intimidation factor. They make you feel like your a criminal and if you don't do as they ask, they're going to take your dog away! :mad:

I'm glad that you're experience was good and I know you're looking forward to Alaska - so worth the wait!!!! :)

I think Brenda loved Alaska as much as we did. The scenery and sights are amazingly beautiful, I couldn't get enough pictures!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I felt like we were between a rock and a hard place. My husband was really mad but we had to play their game and the dog had to take whatever it was they gave him or we were getting on the next plane headed home.

I'm going to print out the above notes for international travel in the future. Besides leaving from Vancouver, I don't foresee us travelling out of the country again with the dog, but I think it would be good info to keep. I'd like to take my kids to Niagara Falls someday in the not too distant future so it might come in handy.

We (Ollie too) were in Anchorage several years ago. We had a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to it.

I felt like we were between a rock and a hard place. My husband was really mad but we had to play their game and the dog had to take whatever it was they gave him or we were getting on the next plane headed home.

I'm going to print out the above notes for international travel in the future. Besides leaving from Vancouver, I don't foresee us travelling out of the country again with the dog, but I think it would be good info to keep. I'd like to take my kids to Niagara Falls someday in the not too distant future so it might come in handy.

We (Ollie too) were in Anchorage several years ago. We had a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to it.

We had absolutely no problems in Vancouver or elsewhere in Canada. Except for one restaurant who was not too happy to see us. And, after many of our friends said they would leave, they allowed us in!

With my MIL still in the hospital, it has been hard to schedule any dog outings or home visits. Just in case we have to make a rapid return to the hospital. Lucky for me, "Pepper's" other mom had her today and I was able to steal for for 30 minutes of hospital visitation and some loving. The area we visited had all known Crackers and everyone just loved on her and commented on the resemblance. (not that most golden retrievers don't look alike....)

With my MIL still in the hospital, it has been hard to schedule any dog outings or home visits. Just in case we have to make a rapid return to the hospital. Lucky for me, "Pepper's" other mom had her today and I was able to steal for for 30 minutes of hospital visitation and some loving. The area we visited had all known Crackers and everyone just loved on her and commented on the resemblance. (not that most golden retrievers don't look alike....)

I'm sorry she's still in the hospital.

Aside from my wonderful Black Lab, I think Golden's are about the most beautiful of all the dog world!!!!

Oh! I've got black hair all over my house..in places where you would never imagine hair could go! And, I'm a bit of a "clean freak!" That also changed, it took me some time to get used to the change...but, it's so worth it and so is she!

I know you wrote this years ago, but I just began reading the thread tonight. For 12 years my H had a CCI black lab (Hawk II), and once my MIL asked me, "doesn't it bother you to have dog hair all over the house?" to which I said, "if I didn't have a dog it would!" :p

We miss Hawk, then adopted Bruce, a rescue, and now we miss him too. :(

I know the two are frolicking, off leash, enjoying each others company. ;)

Back to reading!

Questions regarding upcoming Panama Canal cruise:

Can anyone tell me about these ports: Cartagena, Puntarenas, Acapulco, and Cabo San Lucas

1) Are service dogs accepted in the culture, and in the shops?

2) Did you have a problem with aggressive stray dogs? or any constantly wanting to follow?

Aside from Mexico, did anyone have any problems entering Colombia or Costa Rica with the required, legal documents for their SD? Does Immigration meet you at the pier?

Sorry if they've already been answered in the 242 previous pages (though I've read a bunch of them.)

Thanks for the help.

Linda

I know you wrote this years ago, but I just began reading the thread tonight. For 12 years my H had a CCI black lab (Hawk II), and once my MIL asked me, "doesn't it bother you to have dog hair all over the house?" to which I said, "if I didn't have a dog it would!" :p

We miss Hawk, then adopted Bruce, a rescue, and now we miss him too. :(

I know the two are frolicking, off leash, enjoying each others company. ;)

Back to reading!

Hi, how nice to hear from you. I am proud to say I know all about Hawk. He was born in 1992 and passed away in 2004. I also have a picture of him through his puppyhood and, even one of him 3 days before he passed. What a beautiful boy.

Your DH is a musician and he would tell the most amazing stories of how Hawk would go to the record store with him and go right to the shelves to pick-out the music that "L" liked.

I love reading your DH's writings about you, your family and your experiences with Hawk. We CCI folks are very engrained into each other's lives.

I hope all is going well for all of you. Now, go tell "L" to get another dog. You guys are so full of love and life you should be sharing it with as many fur-bearing and human friends that you can.

Questions regarding upcoming Panama Canal cruise:

Can anyone tell me about these ports: Cartagena, Puntarenas, Acapulco, and Cabo San Lucas

1) Are service dogs accepted in the culture, and in the shops?

2) Did you have a problem with aggressive stray dogs? or any constantly wanting to follow?

Aside from Mexico, did anyone have any problems entering Colombia or Costa Rica with the required, legal documents for their SD? Does Immigration meet you at the pier?

Sorry if they've already been answered in the 242 previous pages (though I've read a bunch of them.)

Thanks for the help.

Linda

Linda, Brenda has been to Acapulco, Cabo but not the other ports you mentioned. She's been to Brazil [Rio] and, all the documention required for Mexico stood fast in South America as well. We were NOT met at the pier leaving the ship but had to go through Immigration [checking all our paperwork again] going back onto the ship, after going to Carnivale, in Rio.

Something that was very helpful and is not mentioned a lot is a picture of your dog with you amongst your paperwork. It really helped in South America and certainly could not hurt in Mexico, as well.

CCI used to have a picture on our training certs.

Take a picture of the two of you and make sure it is attached to your paperwork.

EVERY SINGLE GUARD/IMMIGRATION/PURSER/TSA AGENT AND REGISTRATION PERSON LOOKED AT THE PICTURE AND THAN LOOKED AT US.

It's not difficult to take such a picture and really proved to be very helpful.

You will need to get the Cert. of Intl. Travel from a USDA VET and make sure that all the dogs immunizations/dates/use of Heartguard and flea & tick abatement are on the form. And, make sure the Vet signs the form.

Some ships require a note from your physician or health care worker stipulating to your need for a Working/Service Dog. It NEVER hurts to have such a letter available when traveling into a foreign country.

And, I've said this before, I'll say it again. MAKE SURE THE POTTY BOX IS SET-UP THE SECOND YOU BOARD THE SHIP. YOU CAN USE YOUR BALCONY OR A CLOSE-BY CREW STORAGE CLOSET OR STAIRWELL. IF THE BOX IS NOT BIG ENOUGH, INSIST ON A BIGGER ONE.

As far as stray dogs.......You will encounter a few dogs in South America [Mexico] who are curious about your dog. Protect your dog! South American dogs don't have to be on any kind of meds. We had a monkey in Brazil that would jump around Brenda but never touched her [i've never seen Brenda give an animal a dirty look, this time she did!!!] If you stay with a group of people, you're fellow passengers will help in chasing away strays of any kind. If you're venturing out on your own......PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

You will love cruising with your Service Dog. Allow for the myriad of questions you'll be getting from other passengers and do allow for some "patting" time. Other folks are missing their fur-babies and the touch of yours will be so satisfying for them. Our dogs love the extra attention. You don't have to overdo this. It's up to you! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Roz for the info.

I travel a fair amount, fly a fair amount, and have cruised before with my service dog on the only other cruise I was on. I have all my paperwork in order. I've done my homework, and am aware of the legal requirements for each country, as well as the policies of the ship. I have experienced the great numbers of folks missing their dogs, and at least a dozen times on my cruise listened to crying passengers tell how they had recently lost their dogs.

My questions are pretty country-specific, or even port-specific cultural issues.

1) Are service dogs accepted in the culture, and in the shops? Roz, were you allowed in the shops in Acapulco? Were you run out of touristy areas if the culture doesn't accept SD's. Did you have problems using local tours with your SD?

3) Do Immigration officials in Columbia and Costa Rica expect a pay-off to allow you entrance to their country? (I'll sort of expect it in Mexico.)

Thanks again,

Linda

Hi, how nice to hear from you. I am proud to say I know all about Hawk. He was born in 1992 and passed away in 2004. I also have a picture of him through his puppyhood and, even one of him 3 days before he passed. What a beautiful boy.

Your DH is a musician and he would tell the most amazing stories of how Hawk would go to the record store with him and go right to the shelves to pick-out the music that "L" liked.

I love reading your DH's writings about you, your family and your experiences with Hawk. We CCI folks are very engrained into each other's lives.

I hope all is going well for all of you. Now, go tell "L" to get another dog. You guys are so full of love and life you should be sharing it with as many fur-bearing and human friends that you can.

What a small world! "L" just read me a couple of e-mails from you from several years back. ;)

Give Brenda a scritch for us both!!

Now back to reading!

Thanks Roz for the info.

I travel a fair amount, fly a fair amount, and have cruised before with my service dog on the only other cruise I was on. I have all my paperwork in order. I've done my homework, and am aware of the legal requirements for each country, as well as the policies of the ship. I have experienced the great numbers of folks missing their dogs, and at least a dozen times on my cruise listened to crying passengers tell how they had recently lost their dogs.

My questions are pretty country-specific, or even port-specific cultural issues.

1) Are service dogs accepted in the culture, and in the shops? Roz, were you allowed in the shops in Acapulco? Were you run out of touristy areas if the culture doesn't accept SD's. Did you have problems using local tours with your SD? In Mexico and South America [brazil] it can be iffy!!! More specifically, some shop owners are very, very leary of our dogs. Some of the shops are so small that there isn't good access for more than one person to walk down their aisleways, let alone with a dog. And, some shops have such a "high" step-up to enter that if you're in a wheelchair or have mobility issues it can be tough.

2) Did you have a problem with aggressive stray dogs? or any constantly wanting to follow? I witnessed strays but NEVER had one be aggressive towards Brenda.....only curious enough to come very close and then I was able to "shew" it away. And, there was a dog in Brazil who followed us from store to store but never approached us. But, then again, we had some children who did the same thing.

3) Do Immigration officials in Columbia and Costa Rica expect a pay-off to allow you entrance to their country? (I'll sort of expect it in Mexico.) I was NEVER asked to pay-off anyone in Mexico or South America, ever. And, we've cruised Mexico, with Brenda, 14 times.

Can anyone tell me about these ports: Cartagena, Puntarenas [have not been to these two] - Acapulco and Cabo are very friendly to dogs [except that the only way to get to Cabo from the ship is by tender boat] and, if you're a bit unsteady or if your dog doesn't do well on small/rocky boats this can be a challenge.

In Acapulco we stayed with our group and found the shop owners to be very friendly as well as the restaurants. The shopping was wonderful.

In Cabo we had some difficulty with a restaurant [in the shopping area], they were reluctant to allow Brenda in but were encouraged by other patrons and we were fine. The shops are very crowded and maneuvering around was difficult at times.

We were NEVER approached by Immigration or any other official in Mexico to "pay-off" to leave or re-enter the ship. Getting back on, in Acapulco, I was pulled aside and asked to show Brenda's paperwork, again. It was quick and easy.

Thanks again,

Linda

Linda I hope this helps. As far as the two ports I have not been to maybe someone else has information on them.

Once you've cruised with your Service Dog to these ports please come back and tell us all about it.

I wouldn't consider our recent experience an "official pay off" but it sure seemed like it was!

Good idea to bring a photo of you and the dog. My husband has an ID card with both of their pictures from The Seeing Eye. He keeps it in the pouch on the harness at all times.

I wouldn't consider our recent experience an "official pay off" but it sure seemed like it was!

Good idea to bring a photo of you and the dog. My husband has an ID card with both of their pictures from The Seeing Eye. He keeps it in the pouch on the harness at all times.

Darn, that makes me so angry. I have yet to be asked for such money on any of my travels with my Working Dog. I'm sure the feeling of "fear" is instilled until you have no choice.......but, it's so wrong on so many levels. I know I don't need to tell you that.....Geezzzz!

Your husband is so smart and having that photo I.D. of both the dog and him can answer so many of the questions that some of our friends, who have a Service/Working Dog, and can not answer for themselves.

We have CCI ID cards with a picture of myself, my wife, my daughter & Orson on them. We are all on it because we are a skilled companion team.

We have CCI ID cards with a picture of myself, my wife, my daughter & Orson on them. We are all on it because we are a skilled companion team.

You know me.....I'm ALWAYS touting how wonderful CCI is with the I.D. Cards and, then I get in trouble for it.

I love having my CCI I.D. with mine and Brenda's picture on it. It just makes my life, while traveling with her, so much easier.

And, I know that not all Orgs. supply them to their people. Too bad!

If you have your dog privately trained or you do the training yourself have someone take your picture place it on a card with all yours and your dogs information on it. It's so easy to do and makes it much easier for all concerned when out and about in the general public.

As we head off for our Holiday Road Trip with Children and Grandchildren in the mix, I want to wish EVERYONE who ever wrote on this thread and added to our knowledge and expertise of Travel With a Service Dog, a Warm, Wonderful,

Family & Food Filled Easter and Passover Holiday.

Your thoughtful and genuine concern and interest in all that we do as dog handlers, trainers, puppyraisers and owners is so, so welcomed!

To all our Amazingly, Wonderful and Hardworking Dogs....Our lives would be so empty and incomplete without YOU!

May all your cruises be the very best one, until the next one!

Love & Licks,

Roz, Morey & Brenda

You ought to work for the Government [or, do you?] Nicely done. It's what a Certified USDA Vet will have on the Intl. Cert. that he/she will give after the exam. and prior to cruising or travel overseas. There is NOTHING more that Immigration could ask for.

This MUST be signed and dated by a licensed Vet with a contact number on it. You never know if or when an overzealous Immigration Officer will call the Vet to verify everything.

Thanks for passing along all the great information.

Thanks for the complement! No, I don't work for the government but I do travel all over the world with my service dog. I feel like I work for the "International Bureau of Service Dog Importation." :)

Your are absolutely right, it MUST be signed and dated by a licensed vet with contact and license number.

You know me.....I'm ALWAYS touting how wonderful CCI is with the I.D. Cards and, then I get in trouble for it.

I love having my CCI I.D. with mine and Brenda's picture on it. It just makes my life, while traveling with her, so much easier.

If you have your dog privately trained or you do the training yourself have someone take your picture place it on a card with all yours and your dogs information on it. It's so easy to do and makes it much easier for all concerned when out and about in the general public.

I agree! Having an ID card makes life so much easier. There are multiple online companies who issue them (for a fee). Of course, they are criticized for making it possible to "fake" a SD. Still, they are nice. Some companies offer cards for the SD and a card the handler that are cross referenced. Personally, I like the one with the photos of both of us so that if the worst in the world happened and we got separated it would show that we belong together.

On a recent cruise with Holland America, I asked, and they were happy to, take my boarding photo with both my SD and I in id. People smiled all over the ship and then I realized they had seen the photo in their system :). It also made reboarding a whole lot simpler.

I agree. There are multiple companies (reputable and, well....) that will produce an official looking card. Some states issue a non-disability working dog (e.g. search and rescue, etc) and SD card that is identical to your divers license. Check with your state.

On our last cruise, I had Holland America take my boarding photo including my SD. They were great about it. It was a cinch to re-board after a day on shore. It was also a relief to me that they had an official record should someone get difficult. That did not happen but it did make me feel better.

We made it back from Mexico. What a pain. Maybe it's different while going into the country on a cruise ship but once we got to the airport, they brought us to the area to look at the papers. I had the international certificate, rabies and distemper certification, but because the paper did not have the date that he last had his frontline and heartworm treatment (which was about 2 weeks ago), there were problems. They called a vet and for $50 cash, US dollars, they gave the dog some pill (sealed in a package) to treat intestinal parasites. (I should say my husband gave the dog the pill. The vet didn't even look at the dog, pet him, etc.) The agricultural official was filling out the paperwork to clear him through customs before the vet even got there. This must be somewhat common because there was a business card stapled into the phone book of the doctor they called. "Hola, Pedro! Que pasa?" which meant to me that he's there frequently. I said to my husband that I bet the vet and the official split the money.

Some countries do require a dog to be treated with a broad-spectrum anthelmintic within 24-48 hours before landing, so perhaps Mexico has that requirement. I had to do that for St. Lucia and St. Kitts (thankfully, they were consecutive days so I just had to do the worm treatment once) and got the meds from my vet for that (they were bone-shaped - pretty cute! ;)). I originally had planned on going to the purser to give her the pills in front of them so they could verify it, but I was too tired to do it when I did it, so I just showed the St. Lucia vets (they came onboard to check the dog; St. Kitts didn't) the empty prescription bottle (even though they didn't ask for it) which, of course, had the label on it. I think I left the empty med wrappers in it, too. I believe I carried the bottle with me when getting off the ship in St. Kitts, too, just in case.

Requirements could also vary depending on the part of a country you go to and on what problems, if any, they are currently having with animals there. I haven't needed an anthelmintic wormer for any other cruise (including the one with a Mexican port - that was in '08) or for the Bahamas. My dog is on year-round heartworm/worm prevention (Interceptor), though I don't think the vet writes this on the health certificate (I don't recall ever seeing it).

When we got back to the US, the US customs official that reviewed our paperwork said it's a 50/50 on what the Mexicans want.

The money is likely what they wanted. :p Although, those worming meds aren't cheap, so a good portion of the money likely went to pay for those. Oh, and don't worry, it is safe for the dog to have had that worm med that once even though he is on heartworm meds. (I wouldn't have given it to my dog if it hadn't been safe!)

We just got home from our road trip to Oregon and San Francisco [to be with our children.] The drive up had absolutely gorgeous weather as well as the weather in Oregon and the ride back had snow and winds. The change was so different. It was fun to experience all kinds of weather; makes for a more interesting road trip.

For the first time I listened to books on tape all the way from Eugene, Oregon to Los Angeles [the drive up was for sharing family stories and sight seeing.] If you have a chance to take a long road trip do get "The Help", I loved every moment of it and, still haven't finished it.....I can't wait to get back in the car to finish it.

My "personal" interview for a Successor Dog is still set for June 24th, I'll keep you guys in the loop, as it goes along. It's a slow process but it does give Brenda and me more time to share "our" time together.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone.

Mornin' all:

Roz: Welcome back! I am glad you had a good trip and am glad you are back. After having our road trip vacation, last year, I hope to do it again. The only difference is Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily not getting to go. :mad:

I hope everyone has an enjoyable day.