Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I hope your parent will be okay!! That definitely comes first!

(Glad your presentation went well, too.)

Thanks Quam (and Roz too--I wasn't able to reply then). We hope Mom will be able to come home from the hospital tomorrow.

Hope you feel better SS. Ear infections are no joke!

We had a beautiful day yesterday, but I think it's back to heavier jackets here today. I am definately not in summer (or even spring) clothes mode yet!

Vet appointment is tomorrow. I'll be happy to get that behind us too.

Mornin' all:

Thanks for the well wishes. Antibiotics are great. Still weak, the ear keeps plugging up and then popping, but is not hurting, yeah!

Off work today, back tomorrow. Lets see what the little munchkins can give me next! Daycare crude is so delightful.

Jezzy Lou is sound asleep in the sock monkey bed. Her and Leann Emily share it, off and on. The other one usually uses the generic paw print bed. Both are in the window seat. Go figure that the dog and cat get the window seat and mom gets aced out of it! Thats okay, when babies are content mama is content.

Hope you feel better SS. Ear infections are no joke!

We had a beautiful day yesterday, but I think it's back to heavier jackets here today. I am definately not in summer (or even spring) clothes mode yet!

Vet appointment is tomorrow. I'll be happy to get that behind us too.

Here, in L.A., it's summer today, will be winter tomorrow? :o :confused:

The Vet appointment makes me as nervous as it makes Brenda. :rolleyes:

Of course taking my kids to the Pediatrician did the same to me! What's up with that?

Mornin' all:

Thanks for the well wishes. Antibiotics are great. Still weak, the ear keeps plugging up and then popping, but is not hurting, yeah!

Off work today, back tomorrow. Lets see what the little munchkins can give me next! Daycare crude is so delightful.

Jezzy Lou is sound asleep in the sock monkey bed. Her and Leann Emily share it, off and on. The other one usually uses the generic paw print bed. Both are in the window seat. Go figure that the dog and cat get the window seat and mom gets aced out of it! Thats okay, when babies are content mama is content.

Awww! Kids - The petri dishes of diseases! I'm glad your on the road to recovery.

A rambling post but it has been a rough few weeks. Rich's mom has been very sick and in and out of ICU. I don't think we have turned a corner yet, but things have settled down that I can have another dog visit. I'm one happy girl. I have Cracker's Sister home for a two night home visit. She does know me as we have been on outings together, but this is the first time she has spent the night. I feel like "Aunt Sunshine", but I am resisting the impulse to spoil her rotten....and yet, she and Sandy are at my feet gnawing on rawhides.... Off to play ball toss, but only after she has at least done a nice sit and down....OK, please the dog is almost 2, she has all of her advanced commands.

A rambling post but it has been a rough few weeks. Rich's mom has been very sick and in and out of ICU. I don't think we have turned a corner yet, but things have settled down that I can have another dog visit. I'm one happy girl. I have Cracker's Sister home for a two night home visit. She does know me as we have been on outings together, but this is the first time she has spent the night. I feel like "Aunt Sunshine", but I am resisting the impulse to spoil her rotten....and yet, she and Sandy are at my feet gnawing on rawhides.... Off to play ball toss, but only after she has at least done a nice sit and down....OK, please the dog is almost 2, she has all of her advanced commands.

I'm sorry about your MIL, I hope she has an easy time.....I'll say a prayer for her.

You NEED to have these dog visits to re-group, re-think and re-charge! ;)

The organization thinks you're helping them.......we all know who's really helping who!!!! :)

I'm sorry about your MIL, I hope she has an easy time.....I'll say a prayer for her.

You NEED to have these dog visits to re-group, re-think and re-charge! ;)

The organization thinks you're helping them.......we all know who's really helping who!!!! :)

I know exactly who is helping who. This dog is so sweet. I love her for herself, not to mention the common genetics.

I know exactly who is helping who. This dog is so sweet. I love her for herself, not to mention the common genetics.

Honestly, I've only had Brenda for 9 years........how did I ever live my life without her before? Or, for that matter without a Service Dog in it! :rolleyes:

I was only just "getting along", I guess I wasn't really living!!!! ;)

Having fun with "Pepper" in the house. She is helping me with the house hold chores and likes taking the dry clothes out of the dryer and helping me put them in the basket. If I had her a few more days, maybe she would be doing the dishes and making beds. I'll rename her Cindarella!!!;) We plan on a nice long loose leash walk this afternoon to keep both of us healthy. The girl likes her food as much as I do. She is going to make someone a fine service dog at our next camp. As much as I love working with the puppies, having an adult well trained, well mannered, dog in the house is kind of nice.:D

I have the international certificate from the vet. I was advised to call Annapolis to see if I needed the official raised seal. The vet thought I did. I called and the USDA in Annapolis said no. I think I also read that it was not necessary on here as well. Has that been your experience?

Does Canada need the seal? (Thinking ahead for our June cruise).

Having fun with "Pepper" in the house. She is helping me with the house hold chores and likes taking the dry clothes out of the dryer and helping me put them in the basket. If I had her a few more days, maybe she would be doing the dishes and making beds. I'll rename her Cindarella!!!;) We plan on a nice long loose leash walk this afternoon to keep both of us healthy. The girl likes her food as much as I do. She is going to make someone a fine service dog at our next camp. As much as I love working with the puppies, having an adult well trained, well mannered, dog in the house is kind of nice.:D

Lucky "Pepper" to have you in her life.

You know, it makes me think about when Brenda first came home with me......although very well trained, she had some "ill mannered" qualities about herself, especially upon approaching another dog or person. She ALWAYS needed to be "corrected" from over-reacting.

Now, as a senior dog, she has more manners and knows that it's innappropriate to "lunge" at other dogs and people. Although, she could still do it.......she looks at me [like a kid who's looking for discipline] before she over-does it.

Yep! I do love the "adult well trained" in her, with just a smattering of "puppieness!" ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have the international certificate from the vet. I was advised to call Annapolis to see if I needed the official raised seal. The vet thought I did. I called and the USDA in Annapolis said no. I think I also read that it was not necessary on here as well. Has that been your experience?

You are very good to go both in Mexico and Canada.

Have a very safe and happy journey. :)

Lucky "Pepper" to have you in her life.

You know, it makes me think about when Brenda first came home with me......although very well trained, she had some "ill mannered" qualities about herself, especially upon approaching another dog or person. She ALWAYS needed to be "corrected" from over-reacting.

Now, as a senior dog, she has more manners and knows that it's innappropriate to "lunge" at other dogs and people. Although, she could still do it.......she looks at me [like a kid who's looking for discipline] before she over-does it.

Yep! I do love the "adult well trained" in her, with just a smattering of "puppieness!" ;)

I love these stories. All these dogs do such an incredible job - no matter what they're trained for. When I worked for the City we had a lady who would come to speak at City Council meetings - with her leader dog - a black lab who looked a lot like yours. I was on the elevator with them and the dog was sniffing my hand - rather loudly. Mrs. Blair said "I hear that sniffing - are you behaving yourself?" I told her the dog probably smelled my cat.

I love these stories. All these dogs do such an incredible job - no matter what they're trained for. When I worked for the City we had a lady who would come to speak at City Council meetings - with her leader dog - a black lab who looked a lot like yours. I was on the elevator with them and the dog was sniffing my hand - rather loudly. Mrs. Blair said "I hear that sniffing - are you behaving yourself?" I told her the dog probably smelled my cat.

Sparky: Thanks for sharing your story. Sniffing is the most difficult thing to stop a dog from doing. I say; "Brenda, don't sniff!" and, she'll immediately stop! Amazing!

I just returned from a staff meeting where there was 150 people in attendance. One gal came right over to where Brenda and I were sitting and sat on the floor, next to her, totally "breaking" her from her "down/stay" and, turning her into a "dog!" I could have made a scene about it; corrected Brenda; embarrassed her; made a commotion, etc., etc.

Brenda was NOT working, she was resting and "stuff" happens. The woman knows Brenda is a Service Dog, she know better than to distract her but these dogs are so hard to resist and when they're seen in a working environment, they're a "miracle" to see, I totally understand the overwhelming thing that takes over a dog lover and they just have to meld with the dog. Does it make it harder on me, when the person has fulfilled their need to touch the dog, you bet! But, I do understand it.

And, I'd much rather come across someone who's madly in love with my dog, than someone who is angry faced and even more angry toned toward our presence!!!!! :(

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm definately getting the international permit despite the embassy employee telling me I don't need it and will make sure the distemper and rabies is up to date. Unfortunately he has an 3 year rabies shot now so I think he'll need a booster. I plan on carrying all the paper work with us on all his vaccines and will bring extra copies as someone else suggested.

I'm feeling better about the dog and the travel. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to wear and dig my summer clothes out of the attic :)

The "three-year" and the "one-year" rabies vaccines are the exact same, just with different labels on them. (And they both last a lot longer than three years; hopefully the Rabies Challenge Study will get states and countries to start changing their laws!)

Core vaccines like distemper last longer than the one to three years most vets recommend; do titers to find out if your dog should be revaccinated or not. I do titers for the core vaccines every year at the annual exam (so that no country I travel to can complain about the results being old - if you're not travelling, you likely won't need to test every year).

Be good to yourself and get some new clothes for your trip! ;) You can find some good prices on new clothes (and shoes) on eBay. I just did that for my Vegas trip and got some really cool shirts and dresses. :D

I have a middle ear infection that is seriously hurting. I try not to be a baby, but in the middle of night it hurt so bad it almost made me cry. I have a rice pack, (Rice sewed up in cloth and then put in a sock) that you heat in the microwave. I have to say the weight and warmth felt really good. I also have a sinus infection but the antibotics are taking care of that quickly, ear not so much.

Sorry to hear about your illness! That is not fun at all!! :( Yeah, the sinus infection can move into your ears and become an ear infection; this is what a doc told me a few years ago when I saw him for a cold that was about to move into my ears (I thought it already head, since I had woken up with an earache, but it hadn't quite yet). Definitely keep taking the meds! Feel better!

This is for Mexico, correct? You don't need the endorsement (the seal) for Mexico.

I'm fairly sure Canada doesn't need the seal either.

We made it back from Mexico. What a pain. Maybe it's different while going into the country on a cruise ship but once we got to the airport, they brought us to the area to look at the papers. I had the international certificate, rabies and distemper certification, but because the paper did not have the date that he last had his frontline and heartworm treatment (which was about 2 weeks ago), there were problems. They called a vet and for $50 cash, US dollars, they gave the dog some pill (sealed in a package) to treat intestinal parasites. (I should say my husband gave the dog the pill. The vet didn't even look at the dog, pet him, etc.) The agricultural official was filling out the paperwork to clear him through customs before the vet even got there. This must be somewhat common because there was a business card stapled into the phone book of the doctor they called. "Hola, Pedro! Que pasa?" which meant to me that he's there frequently. I said to my husband that I bet the vet and the official split the money.

When we got back to the US, the US customs official that reviewed our paperwork said it's a 50/50 on what the Mexicans want.

Anyway, the trip was short and we could have used another day, but we needed to conserve my husband's vacation time for the cruise in June. The resort was just beautiful. Extremely clean and the staff was very friendly. They were great with the dog once we got it straight at the restaurant that it was OK for him to be there (I had that paper too). "Ooh perro, muy bonito" was a phrase we heard a lot. I highly recommend this place. If anyone would like the info, I'd be happy to share.

Now moving onto the science fair, dance recitals, and little league before the end of the school year and our trip to Alaska!

We made it back from Mexico. What a pain. Maybe it's different while going into the country on a cruise ship but once we got to the airport, they brought us to the area to look at the papers. I had the international certificate, rabies and distemper certification, but because the paper did not have the date that he last had his frontline and heartworm treatment (which was about 2 weeks ago), there were problems. They called a vet and for $50 cash, US dollars, they gave the dog some pill (sealed in a package) to treat intestinal parasites. (I should say my husband gave the dog the pill. The vet didn't even look at the dog, pet him, etc.) The agricultural official was filling out the paperwork to clear him through customs before the vet even got there. This must be somewhat common because there was a business card stapled into the phone book of the doctor they called. "Hola, Pedro! Que pasa?" which meant to me that he's there frequently. I said to my husband that I bet the vet and the official split the money.

When we got back to the US, the US customs official that reviewed our paperwork said it's a 50/50 on what the Mexicans want.

Anyway, the trip was short and we could have used another day, but we needed to conserve my husband's vacation time for the cruise in June. The resort was just beautiful. Extremely clean and the staff was very friendly. They were great with the dog once we got it straight at the restaurant that it was OK for him to be there (I had that paper too). "Ooh perro, muy bonito" was a phrase we heard a lot. I highly recommend this place. If anyone would like the info, I'd be happy to share.

Now moving onto the science fair, dance recitals, and little league before the end of the school year and our trip to Alaska!

I bet the pill was a sugar pill just to make it seem like the $50 was more than just a bribe. We had the same type of thing when we were on a cruise and stopped at Tortola. There were two other service dogs on the cruise. They had to have a "vet" come on board to "check" the dogs. She glanced at the paperwork and held her hand out for $20 cash per dog. She never even saw the dogs. They could have been pigs for all she knew. But at least it all went pretty smooth for you.

I bet the pill was a sugar pill just to make it seem like the $50 was more than just a bribe. We had the same type of thing when we were on a cruise and stopped at Tortola. There were two other service dogs on the cruise. They had to have a "vet" come on board to "check" the dogs. She glanced at the paperwork and held her hand out for $20 cash per dog. She never even saw the dogs. They could have been pigs for all she knew. But at least it all went pretty smooth for you.

I just returned from Mexico. I was pretty nervous! As it turned out, we were praised by being so organized. I did email with their officials before I left so that I had in writing what they wanted me to have. I carried that email. I also created a letter with my vet with the following information it.

I also had one of the small certificates of health that a local vet (not USDA for international health certificate). The information in the letter must include a copy of the Vet's official authority to practice. My vet put on letter head and signed it and added her license number.

LETTER CONTENT ( I put XX for fill in your dog)

This letter is to document XX health and vaccination record. XX has been my patient for the past XX years and she and her handler are well known to me.

DATE OF ISSUE OF LETTER

XX –XX-2011

STATEMENT OF HEALTH

XXXX is in good health and is free from internal and external parasites.

OWNER/IMPORTER

XXXXXX (ME)

Address

XXXXXXX

XXXXX. XXXXX

United States of America

Telephone

XXX-XXX-XXXX

DESCRIPTION OF ANIMAL

Species: Dog

Breed: XXXX

Date of Birth: XX-XX-XXXX

Coat: Red Short Hair

Microchip Implanted: 9 December 200x

Number : XXX*XXX*XXX

VACCINATION RECORDS

RABIES

Pfizer Defensor 3 (Killed) Canine Rabies Vaccine, 3 year,

Expires 7 June 2013. Administered 8 June 2010.

Serial S710868, Lot Expiration 26 March 2011

Titer: 4 December 2008 titer greater than 0.05 IU/m

OTHER VACCINES, INCLUDING DISTEMPER AND HEPATITIS

VANGUARD® PLUS 5 canine distemper (CD) virus, infectious canine hepatitis (ICH) caused by canine adenovirus type 1 (CAV-1), respiratory disease caused by canine adenovirus type 2 (CAV-2), canine parainfluenza caused by canine parainfluenza (CPI) virus, and canine parvoviral enteritis caused by canine parvovirus (CPV). Expires 7 June 2012, given 8 June 2010

PARASITE TREATMENT

Leptospira C., G., I., P. Administered XX-XX-XXX (at least two weeks but not more than 6 months before entry)

Heartworm/Tick Test Expiration Date XX/XX/2010 Date Given XX/XX/XXXX

Internal Parasite exam 4 May 2010

Selamectin expiration XX/XX/XXXX Prescribed and dispensed XX/XX/XXXX. Administered Monthly, last treatment XX/XX/XX (no less than 14 days).

Hope this helps!

Edited by sd1
formatting was unintelligable

I just returned from Mexico. I was pretty nervous! As it turned out, we were praised by being so organized. I did email with their officials before I left so that I had in writing what they wanted me to have. I carried that email. I also created a letter with my vet with the following information it.

I also had one of the small certificates of health that a local vet (not USDA for international health certificate). The information in the letter must include a copy of the Vet's official authority to practice. My vet put on letter head and signed it and added her license number.

LETTER CONTENT ( I put XX for fill in your dog)

This letter is to document XX health and vaccination record. XX has been my patient for the past XX years and she and her handler are well known to me.

DATE OF ISSUE OF LETTER

XX –XX-2011

STATEMENT OF HEALTH

XXXX is in good health and is free from internal and external parasites.

OWNER/IMPORTER

XXXXXX (ME)

Address

XXXXXXX

XXXXX. XXXXX

United States of America

Telephone

XXX-XXX-XXXX

DESCRIPTION OF ANIMAL

Species: Dog

Breed: XXXX

Date of Birth: XX-XX-XXXX

Coat: Red Short Hair

Microchip Implanted: 9 December 200x

Number : XXX*XXX*XXX

VACCINATION RECORDS

RABIES

Pfizer Defensor 3 (Killed) Canine Rabies Vaccine, 3 year,

Expires 7 June 2013. Administered 8 June 2010.

Serial S710868, Lot Expiration 26 March 2011

Titer: 4 December 2008 titer greater than 0.05 IU/m

OTHER VACCINES, INCLUDING DISTEMPER AND HEPATITIS

VANGUARD® PLUS 5 canine distemper (CD) virus, infectious canine hepatitis (ICH) caused by canine adenovirus type 1 (CAV-1), respiratory disease caused by canine adenovirus type 2 (CAV-2), canine parainfluenza caused by canine parainfluenza (CPI) virus, and canine parvoviral enteritis caused by canine parvovirus (CPV). Expires 7 June 2012, given 8 June 2010

PARASITE TREATMENT

Leptospira C., G., I., P. Administered XX-XX-XXX (at least two weeks but not more than 6 months before entry)

Heartworm/Tick Test Expiration Date XX/XX/2010 Date Given XX/XX/XXXX

Internal Parasite exam 4 May 2010

Selamectin expiration XX/XX/XXXX Prescribed and dispensed XX/XX/XXXX. Administered Monthly, last treatment XX/XX/XX (no less than 14 days).

Hope this helps!

You ought to work for the Government [or, do you?] Nicely done. It's what a Certified USDA Vet will have on the Intl. Cert. that he/she will give after the exam. and prior to cruising or travel overseas. There is NOTHING more that Immigration could ask for.

This MUST be signed and dated by a licensed Vet with a contact number on it. You never know if or when an overzealous Immigration Officer will call the Vet to verify everything.

Thanks for passing along all the great information.