Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Everyone, I hope everyone had a great holiday. We went to CT to have dinner with my mom and son, it was very nice.

The weekend before we had Wexys recertification. He passed with flying colors!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO He did break when a woman with a high squeaky voice said hi to him as part of the test, but John was in control and that was ok. He was raised and trained by women so when he hears that voice he can't help himself. It was a long ride for a few minutes of testing but now we are all set for 3 years.

The next day we had a wedding and that was a long ride too! It was very nice, food was good, but by Sunday we were pooped!

John has been having a problem with his neck, and since his neck is already messed up, it's been scary. He has tingling in his hands and his arms have been weak. I'm not sure if it's part of his orginal injury or some kind of pinched nerve. But he is having trouble getting in and out of the shower, and his daily activities. Yesterday he fell and had to yell for help,( I had stayed in CT to help mom and was coming back the next day) so I am here everyday now. They are going to put in a roll-in shower but who knows how long that will take. He has and MRI and doctors appt scheduled but not til the beginning of May.

In a few weeks the CCI puppy raisers are having a fund raiser and Sarah Wilson (some well known dog trainer) will be doing 2 classes. John and I and Wex of course will be manning the info table. I have never heard of this woman but everyone of our puppy raisers is bragging about her. Does anyone know who she is?? I guess she has written a few books.

Roz, Sounds like you had an awesome trip. It must be so beautiful out there. Glad you are home safe and sound!

Cindy

Hi Everyone, I hope everyone had a great holiday. We went to CT to have dinner with my mom and son, it was very nice.

The weekend before we had Wexys recertification. He passed with flying colors!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO He did break when a woman with a high squeaky voice said hi to him as part of the test, but John was in control and that was ok. He was raised and trained by women so when he hears that voice he can't help himself. It was a long ride for a few minutes of testing but now we are all set for 3 years.

The next day we had a wedding and that was a long ride too! It was very nice, food was good, but by Sunday we were pooped!

John has been having a problem with his neck, and since his neck is already messed up, it's been scary. He has tingling in his hands and his arms have been weak. I'm not sure if it's part of his orginal injury or some kind of pinched nerve. But he is having trouble getting in and out of the shower, and his daily activities. Yesterday he fell and had to yell for help,( I had stayed in CT to help mom and was coming back the next day) so I am here everyday now. They are going to put in a roll-in shower but who knows how long that will take. He has and MRI and doctors appt scheduled but not til the beginning of May.

In a few weeks the CCI puppy raisers are having a fund raiser and Sarah Wilson (some well known dog trainer) will be doing 2 classes. John and I and Wex of course will be manning the info table. I have never heard of this woman but everyone of our puppy raisers is bragging about her. Does anyone know who she is?? I guess she has written a few books.

Roz, Sounds like you had an awesome trip. It must be so beautiful out there. Glad you are home safe and sound!

Cindy

See...I told ya there was nothing to worry about. Tell John great job!! Now the 3 year re-cert may be a different story. That's a long time to go. I hope everything is OK with John's neck. We had a wheelchair shower put in a few years back. It only took 2 days. We are doing a info/fundraiser next month with our puppy raiser friends (you know who I mean Cindy). :D Then we are going back to Disney World with them in July. ºoº Then a service dog demo when we get back and a big street fair fundraiser in Sept.

Cindy

Cindy, big congratulations to John and Wexy on their 3 year Cert. It's such a relief when you get these. They're a brilliant team. Brenda's Cert. is good until Dec. 2012. [We'll see if her Cert. lasts longer than the wait for "Successor!"]

I'm so sorry about John's neck issue's. I hope they get resolved for him and don't cause him any long-term issues.

I've been in contact with the Graduate Dept. at CCI and was told that the next Team Training was filled with folks acquiring a Successor Dog and there is not a dog for me then. It looks like I will have to wait until January [since the September class is during our next scheduled cruise, believe me, if family were not involved with this cruise I would cancel it in a second!]

I loved my road trip to my children. Oregon is a tempting place to live in. Of course, the weather was gorgeous when were there - I'm not so sure that DH could stand the cold climate on a long-term basis.

I had two grandchildren and my daughter-in-law in the car on the way up [they flew home, afterwards.] That was so much fun. I listened to books-on-tape on the way home and stopped in San Francisco to visit more family. I absolutely loved the road trip [i was probably a truck driver in my past life.] I love driving and could have kept going if I didn't have to be home for other commitments.

Cindy, please give John a big hug from Brenda and me.

See...I told ya there was nothing to worry about. Tell John great job!! Now the 3 year re-cert may be a different story. That's a long time to go. I hope everything is OK with John's neck. We had a wheelchair shower put in a few years back. It only took 2 days. We are doing a info/fundraiser next month with our puppy raiser friends (you know who I mean Cindy). :D Then we are going back to Disney World with them in July. ºoº Then a service dog demo when we get back and a big street fair fundraiser in Sept.

Wow! You're schedule is full! Have fun and good luck with the fundraiser's.

Thought all you dog lovers would like to know that the world-famous Shiba Inu "Puppy Cam" is back! They were on NBC Nightly News last night. Six little cuties we can watch grow up over the next few months.

Warning--this website is totally addictive!

Evenin' all:

Cindy: Big woohoo for Wexy, oh and John! :D I sure hope John gets some relief for his neck. That has to be frustrating along with painful. Not to mention scary.

DKD: Boy you will be running for a few months! Good for you guys.

Roz: Things happen for a reason! That is why there is no spot available for you and Ms. LoveBug can be with Mama that much longer.:)

Thought all you dog lovers would like to know that the world-famous Shiba Inu "Puppy Cam" is back! They were on NBC Nightly News last night. Six little cuties we can watch grow up over the next few months.

I just looked at this. How absolutely adorable are those pups! :p

Evenin' all:

Cindy: Big woohoo for Wexy, oh and John! :D I sure hope John gets some relief for his neck. That has to be frustrating along with painful. Not to mention scary.

DKD: Boy you will be running for a few months! Good for you guys.

Roz: Things happen for a reason! That is why there is no spot available for you and Ms. LoveBug can be with Mama that much longer.:)

Nancy, the more time with Brenda the better, is right. I'm getting more used to her new routine: She has to go to the potty more; she naps longer; she refuses to jump into my SUV [i have a ramp]; she really hates the shiney floors in the stores and, sometimes she'll do her "alerts" and sometimes she won't.

I want her to be comfortable and having her lay by my side is pure joy [even if she's sleeping in her crate.]

When the time is right for "Successor" we'll all be ready.

Nancy, the more time with Brenda the better, is right. I'm getting more used to her new routine: She has to go to the potty more; she naps longer; she refuses to jump into my SUV [i have a ramp]; she really hates the shiney floors in the stores and, sometimes she'll do her "alerts" and sometimes she won't.

I want her to be comfortable and having her lay by my side is pure joy [even if she's sleeping in her crate.]

When the time is right for "Successor" we'll all be ready.

Hi Roz. I haven't been on in a long time. Hope all is well. I was wondering what is going to happen to Brenda when the new dog arrives? You have probably said so before but since I am facing the same situation I just want ideas. I will hate living her home the first time. Those eyes and that cute face. She is 11 years old and still willing and able to do her job but we have decided that this October will be her last long cruise. It is a 16 day T/A. Then she will retire and become the most loved PET in the world. If anyone has any clues for me I'd appreciate it. She will be fine. I'll be the one in the basket. LOL

I just looked at this. How absolutely adorable are those pups! :p

I just leave the webcam open on my desktop all day and whenever I need a little stress relief--Puppy Cam!

They're cute but not all that interesting right now (they mostly sleep) but give them a few weeks--if they're anything like the last two litters, they'll be so hilarious people will be wondering why you're bursting out laughing at your desk!

Kathi

DKD, I bet after 3 years the dog has really gone to pot! We had one dog at our recert that must have been upwards of 10yrs. Hard to believe at that age they will do anything! Our Rangeley would look at us like we were crazy asking him to do something.

I hope our shower will only take a day or two cuz we will have to stay somewhere else while its being done.

You seem to have a busy schedule!! Our our friends going to Disney with you this time??

OMG those puppies are beautiful!!

DKD, I bet after 3 years the dog has really gone to pot! We had one dog at our recert that must have been upwards of 10yrs. Hard to believe at that age they will do anything! Our Rangeley would look at us like we were crazy asking him to do something.

I hope our shower will only take a day or two cuz we will have to stay somewhere else while its being done.

You seem to have a busy schedule!! Our our friends going to Disney with you this time??

I think about 3 months before Orson's 3 year re-cert, we are going to go into training mode. Just to make sure he is as sharp as he can be. Never as sharp as the trainers want them to be.

Yes we are going back to Disney World with "our friends". They are hopefully going to be able to bring the new puppy they are now raising. Bright is being matriculated next month.

Afternoon all:

Roz: I can just see Papa wringing his hands, waiting to get all the Ms. Brenny time to himself! And, I can see Ms. Brenny with her paw on her hip, saying, in that little girl whinny voice, like I did when I was a kid, "I don't have to do that if I don't want to!" :D I would be content to just have her close to me, also. I bet you sit and listen to her snore and watch her tummy go up and down? Give her huggles and scratchies from me. Cari has a picture on Face Book of her babysitting some other dogs. OMG, there are 5 of them, all Labs and Goldens. Well one is Denver and one is Greg and then 3 others! Bless her heart, 5 big ole furbabies! All looking up at her over the BIG BABY GATE, with those infamous smiles on their faces.

Cindy,

That's too much!! That's the only dog besides Orson that I've ever seen smile. How many people do you think I'm about to send that link to?

When I didn't see a comment from you, I figured you missed it. I thought of Orson right away.

Hi Roz. I haven't been on in a long time. Hope all is well. I was wondering what is going to happen to Brenda when the new dog arrives? You have probably said so before but since I am facing the same situation I just want ideas. I will hate living her home the first time. Those eyes and that cute face. She is 11 years old and still willing and able to do her job but we have decided that this October will be her last long cruise. It is a 16 day T/A. Then she will retire and become the most loved PET in the world. If anyone has any clues for me I'd appreciate it. She will be fine. I'll be the one in the basket. LOL

Barbara' date=' we're in this "retire" dog boat together. [/b']

I'm very lucky in that my DH is retired and can't wait for Brenda to stay home with him, alone!

If he weren't home with her; I'd bring her "sleeping crate" home for comfort; I'd make sure she had easy access to go potty and I'd make sure not to make too big of a "fuss" when I left in the morning.

I know how difficult this must be for folks who have to leave their hardworking retiree home alone or even worse to have to give them up to a "retire foster home!"

The fact that I MUST wait for my new dog is probably the best thing for both Brenda and me.

I must have faith in CCI and in the entire process. It's not always easy to "believe" but I love Brenda so much I'll do anything to make her life a good one.

Good luck with Valentine, enjoy her!

I just leave the webcam open on my desktop all day and whenever I need a little stress relief--Puppy Cam!

They're cute but not all that interesting right now (they mostly sleep) but give them a few weeks--if they're anything like the last two litters, they'll be so hilarious people will be wondering why you're bursting out laughing at your desk!

Kathi

Kathi, aren't puppies the best!!!!

Barbara, we're in this "retire" dog boat together.

I'm very lucky in that my DH is retired and can't wait for Brenda to stay home with him, alone!

If he weren't home with her; I'd bring her "sleeping crate" home for comfort; I'd make sure she had easy access to go potty and I'd make sure not to make too big of a "fuss" when I left in the morning.

I know how difficult this must be for folks who have to leave their hardworking retiree home alone or even worse to have to give them up to a "retire foster home!"

The fact that I MUST wait for my new dog is probably the best thing for both Brenda and me.

I must have faith in CCI and in the entire process. It's not always easy to "believe" but I love Brenda so much I'll do anything to make her life a good one.

Good luck with Valentine, enjoy her!

I guess I'm really making too much of it. I retired years ago from nursing and now stay at home. Valentine loves to shop and go out among people. She is acutally better at that than I am. I will have and love her till that final day. I just hate to see her little face when she has to stay home for some reason. I guess I'll take her with me until she no longer is able or shows no interest. We do have a little differance since she is a tiny alert dog and often rides in her travel bag or in a basket on my scooter. I do think this will be her last trip to Europe though. The plane ride can be a little difficult for her. Sher refuses to potty till we get to the hotel. I don't know how she does it! I think she has the bladder of a Great Dane. LOL Right now she is healthy and eager to work so for now we are good. I just get a little emotional late at night. LOL Good to know you guys are always there,:)

I guess I'm really making too much of it. I retired years ago from nursing and now stay at home. Valentine loves to shop and go out among people. She is acutally better at that than I am. I will have and love her till that final day. I just hate to see her little face when she has to stay home for some reason. I guess I'll take her with me until she no longer is able or shows no interest. We do have a little differance since she is a tiny alert dog and often rides in her travel bag or in a basket on my scooter. I do think this will be her last trip to Europe though. The plane ride can be a little difficult for her. Sher refuses to potty till we get to the hotel. I don't know how she does it! I think she has the bladder of a Great Dane. LOL Right now she is healthy and eager to work so for now we are good. I just get a little emotional late at night. LOL Good to know you guys are always there' date=':)[/quote']

You're not alone in the "emotional" thing. I look at Brenda as she sleeps and I start to cry.......with the realization that she will not ALWAYS be in my life and I won't ALWAYS be able to watch her sleep.......Geeezzzz! It doesn't just take the night to bring on emotion for Miss Brenda. She is so engrained into my heart, it's impossible for me to think of her without tearing-up!!!!

Thank you so much for posting this. One of the guests at my upcoming cruise wedding is traveling with a service dog and there's a lot of great information here but with 244 pages... wow. It will take a long time to go through.