Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Boy Nanc you are right, what a week. I'm so glad everyone is ok. John is doing great. I can see the difference in his strength already, and he hasn't even started to work out yet. He's doing better eating and he can't wait to eat everything he wants. He did lose 14lbs over the two weeks, so all his pants are falling off. :eek: Wex is in heaven cuz John gets tired around 4 or so he lays in bed and that can mean only one thing for Wex....BELLIES!!!

Cindy

Oh and it's 104 here today!! YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go John ~ Go!!!!!!

Atta Boy, Wex, you get all the belly rubs you can!

We're hearing about your heat waves.......sorry!!!!! Wrap a wet towel around your neck....works great!!!! :cool: Hang in there, it can't last forever! :o It'll be our turn soon! :(

Hi Everyone, First, I'm so glad to hear about all our furbabies and that they're doing so well. It's such a relief to have them all recovering.

Well, I went to the hospital with my children and Brenda in tow. I checked-in, dressed in that adorable gown, had my blood drawn, an I.V. inserted, temp taken, blood gases measured and was hooked-up to an EKG machine. A nurse walked in and said, "your sinus rhythm is absolutely normal!" WHAT????? We all looked at each other, she said she was going to contact my Cardiologist and the next thing I knew everything was being unhooked, unhinged and I was told I could go home!!!!!!

My heart [after being on all the meds] had gone into a normal rhythm and the procedure could not be done!

I was elated. I went home, the doctor called me and said that she's seen this in about 1 out of 100 cases and it was my turn, this year, to be the one!

I must stay on heart meds and be checked again in a few weeks but, for now, I'm back to work and I'm so happy.........YOUR PRAYERS AND WELL WISHES WORKED!!!!!! The power of the prayer chain is not to be laughed at!!!!!!

I love you all!!!!!

Fantastic!!!

Hello everyone

I have peeked in on this board in the past but have not posted. I have a son who is disabled (in a wheelchair and deaf) and we travel with his service dog - Honey. She is a little minature poodle and she was on her first cruise in April of this year. We did a 32 day Aisa cruise on the Diamond Princess with a week in Singapore before the cruise. She did great on the flights (Singapore Air and United) and she was perfect on the cruise. Princess was fabulous and the crew nicknamed her the "Princess on the Princess". There was quite a bit of paper work involved and it was expensive with all the fees and vet bills but oh so worth it for my son. (the cost was about $900.00 but it's only money right). We have cruised a lot, 37 cruises on Princess alone but our first with Honey (she had been certified 3 months before we left after almost a year of training - whew). It was a terrific experience and we are booked for the 30 day Venice to Santiago cruise this Dec with a week early in Florence. It looks like Europe will be a breeze compared to Singapore for the paperwork and no rabies test - YEAH. That alone will save us about $200.00 and no import and export fees in Italy.

I will post again and give more details on all the ports in Asia another time.

Don't want to put you to sleep the first time - smile.

Dee, Anthony and Honey

Hello everyone

I have peeked in on this board in the past but have not posted. I have a son who is disabled (in a wheelchair and deaf) and we travel with his service dog - Honey. She is a little minature poodle and she was on her first cruise in April of this year. We did a 32 day Aisa cruise on the Diamond Princess with a week in Singapore before the cruise. She did great on the flights (Singapore Air and United) and she was perfect on the cruise. Princess was fabulous and the crew nicknamed her the "Princess on the Princess". There was quite a bit of paper work involved and it was expensive with all the fees and vet bills but oh so worth it for my son. (the cost was about $900.00 but it's only money right). We have cruised a lot, 37 cruises on Princess alone but our first with Honey (she had been certified 3 months before we left after almost a year of training - whew). It was a terrific experience and we are booked for the 30 day Venice to Santiago cruise this Dec with a week early in Florence. It looks like Europe will be a breeze compared to Singapore for the paperwork and no rabies test - YEAH. That alone will save us about $200.00 and no import and export fees in Italy.

Dee, Anthony and Honey

Dee: Welcome, you are not boring us. If anything, I want to hear more. Is Honey a Hearing Dog for your son? I love the fact that a Minature Poodle is a Service Dog. So easy to move from place-to-place.

Are you a member of IAADP? It seems that some of the fees that you paid are exorbinate. Honey's a Service Dog, not a pet. Why did you have to pay import and export fees?

If you've been reading this thread then you know I ask a lot of questions but it's the only way we all learn and you are our new HERO when it comes to Traveling With a Service Dog! 30 days on a cruiseship.. My dream!!!!! I have a full time job which I love and would never permit me to travel 4 weeks at a time.

Thanks for coming onboard with us! ;)

Yesterday I was walking Brenda and she kept stopping [i never turned to look at her], her collar had slipped down around her muzzle and she was trying so hard to let me know [i never looked at her because I was so involved in what I was reading!] When I finally saw what had happened I felt so guilty. I was tugging on her muzzle the whole time...such an idiot. That will NEVER happen again!!! :rolleyes:

That means her collar is too loose. Has she lost weight? Or was it put on her on the wrong hole? Or was it just always too loose?

Nothing special about her collar, just a simple choke-chain that I ignorantly put on wrong and didn't pay attention to. I'm a moron and only because she's such a well disciplined dog did she not bolt or get into trouble. :eek: :o

Ah, I thought you meant her flat collar. Well, chokes can be harmful to a dog; prong collars are much better. Chokes can/will injure a dog's trachea, plus depending on how you use it, it could be bad news if it catches on something. Prongs don't injure the trachea (when used correctly; do NOT use a prong without getting proper instruction on how to fit it to your dog [NOT around the dog's neck like where a flat collar or choke goes, but just behind the dog's ears with the leash ring on the side] and how to use it) and are limited-slips (only go so far).

Hi, I haven't posted in forever. We were away for two months, then on a cruise to Spain, home in time to put the house up for sale and then Oz's accident.

He went to jump up on his chair and the mat slipped out from under him. He landed on his back and was paralazed in the back end. A racing trip into the emerg vet...he said it was a neurological injury. Spine so swollen the messages were not getting to the brain. He was given steroid shots, back to his vet the next day for another steroid shot and also the day after. Then on steroid pills for 10 day, followed by 10 days of non steroid anti-inflammatories. Those are finished on Sunday and we see the vet again Monday to talk about chiro plastics.

We have had to keep Oz on lead 24/7. But, he is much recovered with only what appears to be a slight weakness in the back right.

I think his accident took 10 yrs off my life. It was horrid watching him watching me and knowing he was in so much pain.

The only other option to the course of action we took was to take him to another city for spinal surgery with no promises of positive results and big risk.

So, I have been giving my little hearing ear partner major love, in addition to the usual love. He is the Best.

Oh my! How scary!!! I'm glad he has recovered a lot! I know I was a little scared when my service dog got facial nerve paralysis earlier in the year (while out of the country, no less), first on one side of the face and then on the other, but the steroids helped her recover (despite the literature saying they don't typically help this problem) and she's 100% now, thankfully! I think I would panic so badly if even one leg was hurt or paralyzed, much less her whole body!! :eek:

The photo you shared is cute - she looks like a stuffed toy! :)

Hello everyone

Dee, Anthony and Honey

Wow, that's quite the cruise (32 days)!! I would not want to be on a boat for that long! I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

What was access in Asia like? Any issues?

If you're an IAADP member, you get a discount on the Kansas State titer tests, plus priority on getting them done (or so they say - I didn't experience that on the first one I had done...).

Oh my! How scary!!! I'm glad he has recovered a lot! I know I was a little scared when my service dog got facial nerve paralysis earlier in the year (while out of the country, no less), first on one side of the face and then on the other, but the steroids helped her recover (despite the literature saying they don't typically help this problem) and she's 100% now, thankfully! I think I would panic so badly if even one leg was hurt or paralyzed, much less her whole body!! :eek:

The photo you shared is cute - she looks like a stuffed toy! :)

Brenda is so highly allergic to any kind of steroid and they work so well with so many canine problems.

You must have been so worried when she developed the paralysis, was there a clear diagnosis? And, what's the potential of her having it again?

OMG what a wonderful day today was, so many great things happened to me today that I broke down and cried in my daughters arms while she cried with me. The most important thing that happened is that my battle with the VA is finally over since they granted me 100% service connect veteran. This was a battle that has been going since 2006. Another battle almost done is the apartment building that kicked me out because Blitz (yup Blitz my service animal) was a german shepherd. Their reason is that german shepherds are a dangerous breed and thats the final answer no matter what the law says. Today they offered to settle out of court, I refused and gave a reply as to what it would take or I will let HUD decide the damages. There has been so much pain out of this little adventure physcial and mental. The final thing that happened to me today is that I have a brand new baby in my home and if she looks familiar to Blitz its because it is his mom. The breeder asked me tonight if I wanted to adopt Tess after she is finished with her last litter. My only cost would be fixing her so she can't have puppies. I almost fell out this GSD is a fantastic dog; already a K9 Good Citizen.

I said yes faster than she could finish her sentence, I can't wait till Tess moves to Mississippi. What a fantastic day today was, thank you lord.

283196_10150241460736022_508476021_7843210_700878_n.jpg

262996_10150241460751022_508476021_7843211_7930052_n.jpg

This is most helpful information and tips - thank you, Roz! But what about travelling with non service dog?

lovely-sheltie-pup.jpg

Can I take my shelties or other sheltie puppies with me? I don't want to leave them with my relatives for a month

shelties_and_sheltie_puppies-4-e1309029517843-225x300.jpg

OMG what a wonderful day today was, so many great things happened to me today that I broke down and cried in my daughters arms while she cried with me. The most important thing that happened is that my battle with the VA is finally over since they granted me 100% service connect veteran. This was a battle that has been going since 2006. Another battle almost done is the apartment building that kicked me out because Blitz (yup Blitz my service animal) was a german shepherd. Their reason is that german shepherds are a dangerous breed and thats the final answer no matter what the law says. Today they offered to settle out of court, I refused and gave a reply as to what it would take or I will let HUD decide the damages. There has been so much pain out of this little adventure physcial and mental. The final thing that happened to me today is that I have a brand new baby in my home and if she looks familiar to Blitz its because it is his mom. The breeder asked me tonight if I wanted to adopt Tess after she is finished with her last litter. My only cost would be fixing her so she can't have puppies. I almost fell out this GSD is a fantastic dog; already a K9 Good Citizen.

I said yes faster than she could finish her sentence, I can't wait till Tess moves to Mississippi. What a fantastic day today was, thank you lord.

283196_10150241460736022_508476021_7843210_700878_n.jpg

262996_10150241460751022_508476021_7843211_7930052_n.jpg

Guitarist: Congratulations on all your good news! I hope that your life will be easier and happier for you. See what happens when you bring us into it? ;) We're good luck for each other!

Continue to have a good life, filled with family, furbabies and friends. :)

This is most helpful information and tips - thank you, Roz! But what about travelling with non service dog?

lovely-sheltie-pup.jpg

Can I take my shelties or other sheltie puppies with me? I don't want to leave them with my relatives for a month

shelties_and_sheltie_puppies-4-e1309029517843-225x300.jpg

Hi Donald: I love Shelties, I had one when I was a little girl ["Shellie".] They're a wonderful breed and so beautiful.

"Pets" do not have the privileges that "Service/Working Dogs" do. They are protected under the Dept. of Justice/American's With Disability Act.

I know how difficult this is to take as some pets are so well behaved and do provide such wonderful "comfort" and pure joy in so many people's lives.

But, unfortunately, most pets have not gone through the rigorous training and behavior modification that the Service/Working dog has, in knowing how to behave in every stressful public situation.

Can you imagine if "pets" were allowed into the theatre and when the lights were turned off, they started to whine, bark, howl or go potty whenever they desired. It would be chaos.

The Service Dog knows that he/she can not make a sound, lick or scratch itself and literally, must be invisible. It takes years to train appropriate public behavior, including teaching the skills that some of our dogs have, such as; opening & closing doors, picking up things off the floor, turning on and off lights, etc., etc.

I know how difficult it is to board your beloved dogs and be separated from them because you want to take a vacation. Sorry!

The QE2 Cruise ship used to allow "pets", at a premium price. They're not allowed in your cabin and must stay in the "kennel" area. But, they used to be allowed onboard the ship. And, more and more hotels are allowing "pets" in them. You must give a "pet deposit" but, it's worth it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Can you imagine if "pets" were allowed into the theatre and when the lights were turned off, they started to whine, bark, howl or go potty whenever they desired. It would be chaos.

Are you talking about me again? And Roz how did you know I act this way.....:eek:

Unfortunately Roz is correct, although there are some hotels that are pet friendly just not cruises. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

It's so you!

I know I am a stinker, I have lived through such bad times this past year from my legs giving out, and being removed from my former residence because Blitz is a german shepherd. I am being selfish although its about time I catch a break.

I know I am a stinker, I have lived through such bad times this past year from my legs giving out, and being removed from my former residence because Blitz is a german shepherd. I am being selfish although its about time I catch a break.

Seriously, congratulations! I hope everything is easier for you in the future!

Seriously, congratulations! I hope everything is easier for you in the future!

Owe I knew your former comments were jokes and I also knew your nice words were from the heart. IAW no problem Roz and thank you for the nice words....