Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Brenda is so highly allergic to any kind of steroid and they work so well with so many canine problems.

You must have been so worried when she developed the paralysis, was there a clear diagnosis? And, what's the potential of her having it again?

That's tough for Brenda, but hopefully she won't have an issue where it might be needed! My dog does just fine on the Prednisone (what the vets gave her for the facial nerve paralysis).

Yup, I was worried, especially since it affected her eyes (she couldn't close her outer eyelids to blink, sleep, etc.) and mouth (the back of it drooped and that caused her to drool long, yucky drools [she doesn't normally drool at all]) and ears (she couldn't move them). The research says steroids don't normally do anything for this condition, but they did for my dog, thankfully! Her drooling ceased within a day or two both times (first time when the right side went, second time when the left side went), which is important for public access, especially when in countries that don't have access laws (and I was spending four weeks in such places at that time). Her other symptoms took a couple months to completely clear up.

If the meds hadn't worked, I was going to try purely-veterinary acupuncture. Thankfully, I didn't have to do that - the meds were a LOT cheaper, LOL! ;)

It was idiopathic, meaning they don't know what caused it.

That's tough for Brenda, but hopefully she won't have an issue where it might be needed! My dog does just fine on the Prednisone (what the vets gave her for the facial nerve paralysis).

Yup, I was worried, especially since it affected her eyes (she couldn't close her outer eyelids to blink, sleep, etc.) and mouth (the back of it drooped and that caused her to drool long, yucky drools [she doesn't normally drool at all]) and ears (she couldn't move them). The research says steroids don't normally do anything for this condition, but they did for my dog, thankfully! Her drooling ceased within a day or two both times (first time when the right side went, second time when the left side went), which is important for public access, especially when in countries that don't have access laws (and I was spending four weeks in such places at that time). Her other symptoms took a couple months to completely clear up.

If the meds hadn't worked, I was going to try purely-veterinary acupuncture. Thankfully, I didn't have to do that - the meds were a LOT cheaper, LOL! ;)

It was idiopathic, meaning they don't know what caused it.

I'm glad to hear that your dog has had a complete recovery!

Roz

Just checking in. I do log in and see what is going on here in cruise land every few days, but my life continues to have it's trials. Rich's Mom is now in hospice care, but, it is still sad and exhausting for both of us. I finally hit bottom, but with the help of family, friends, my fabulous service dogs in training and some medications, I'm feeling more myself.

On the other hand: Cooler is wonderful, but forging a lot lately! She should graduate in the Novermber Camp. One of my former patients and a very special person to me will be at that camp for a sucessor dog...can you imagine if she got Cooler...talk about full circle...she is one of the main reasons I started volunteering at CA.

And of course my sweet "Mackey". He is 15 weeks old now. So incredibly cute. So far nice and confident which is wonderful.

Rich and I plan a cruise once things "settle down" in our life. Maybe even a nice 15 day cruise to Hawaii...

Bless your heart, Karen. You deserve it. You have had a hard road for awhile. The cruise to Hawaii was amazing, hope you guys go. I have seen Mackey and he is adorable. Looks just like my Renie did, and everyone was always saying, "He's soooo cute!" He would just go ballistic. Loved it. Miss my big boy.

Just checking in. I do log in and see what is going on here in cruise land every few days, but my life continues to have it's trials. Rich's Mom is now in hospice care, but, it is still sad and exhausting for both of us. I finally hit bottom, but with the help of family, friends, my fabulous service dogs in training and some medications, I'm feeling more myself.

On the other hand: Cooler is wonderful, but forging a lot lately! She should graduate in the Novermber Camp. One of my former patients and a very special person to me will be at that camp for a sucessor dog...can you imagine if she got Cooler...talk about full circle...she is one of the main reasons I started volunteering at CA.

And of course my sweet "Mackey". He is 15 weeks old now. So incredibly cute. So far nice and confident which is wonderful.

Rich and I plan a cruise once things "settle down" in our life. Maybe even a nice 15 day cruise to Hawaii...

Karen, I'm so sorry about Rich's mom. It has been a long battle for her and for you and Rich. You've had to be so strong, please take care of you. Through all that you do for everyone else it's taken its toll on you.

My Brenny was the worst forager and still is. She is so amazing at everything else but this is the one aspect of her working life that needs correction most of the time.

It would be a miracle if your friend got "Cooler", talk about full circle.

I hope that you and Rich get to cruise very soon. You could really use the break.

Again, I think of you often and hope that your feeling stronger every day!

With Love,

Roz & Brenny

Bless your heart, Karen. You deserve it. You have had a hard road for awhile. The cruise to Hawaii was amazing, hope you guys go. I have seen Mackey and he is adorable. Looks just like my Renie did, and everyone was always saying, "He's soooo cute!" He would just go ballistic. Loved it. Miss my big boy.

I remember when you'd write about your boy. We all know how you loved him. I still like to hear stories about him.

OK guys its been almost a week since my battle with VA over (YEA) and my over all outlook on life has changed 100%. Blitz has so many treats and has also noticed my great mood. My daughters bot friend never knew the not so stressed Jocko and cant handle me, lol

So I am proclaiming today as "Everything will go perfect for all my friends here at the Cruise Forum" day. All pups will have a fantastic day and those who have issues with your bodies I will put in a extra prayer for ya so that this will be a great start of the week for all my friends here.

Freddy has also added his special fishy mojo for all here to have a great day at the very least!!!

198667_10150245153041022_508476021_7882878_4349117_n.jpg

OK guys its been almost a week since my battle with VA over (YEA) and my over all outlook on life has changed 100%. Blitz has so many treats and has also noticed my great mood. My daughters bot friend never knew the not so stressed Jocko and cant handle me, lol

So I am proclaiming today as "Everything will go perfect for all my friends here at the Cruise Forum" day. All pups will have a fantastic day and those who have issues with your bodies I will put in a extra prayer for ya so that this will be a great start of the week for all my friends here.

Freddy has also added his special fishy mojo for all here to have a great day at the very least!!!

198667_10150245153041022_508476021_7882878_4349117_n.jpg

First, I'm so glad that your life has taken such a great turn......there's nothing better than when the battles that we're fighting take a positive turn....it makes the day to day strife so much easier.

And, I hate to say this...but this fish looks like the lady who works next door! :eek:

Sunshine, I hope this day finds you feeling well. You're now in the worst "waiting-game" there is. I'm so sorry.

Brenda and I did a demo. to a Pre-K class today and Brenda was so good. She's just as sharp as she was years ago. I'm so proud of her. Of course, it took a while for her to get up off the linoleum floor but that was all the difficulty she had.......she was brilliant!

I've made the decision to have her work a 4 day week only. On Friday's she'll stay home with PaPa.

Please let us know how things are going for you. I'm wishing you the very best!

Love & Licks,

Roz & Brenny

Thanks for all the well wishes. Sometimes I just think I am a whiny mess, other times, am I "Saint Sunshine". The answe is somewhere in between and I suspect closer to the whiny mess...... I'm trying to find balance and forcing myself to not always be the caretaker of the humans. Yesterday I knew I could not take either dog off property with my time constraints...but had a good day overall. After conferring with one of the trainers (Cracker's) I took two groups of dogs out to an outdoor area of just playtime. I set up a baby pool and did nothing but play with pups and dogs. Mackey and his two room mates wanted to jump on me mostly but all three climbed into the baby pool, chased the ball, and ran up and down agility equipment....Cooler and her three room mates are 4 big dogs. Cooler is the worst for wanting to body slam me on the play ground. Off property she minds her manners, the backyard seems to be fair game....I left that day soaked to the skin and smellling of wet dog.... overall a great day.

Brenda and I did a demo. to a Pre-K class today and Brenda was so good. She's just as sharp as she was years ago. I'm so proud of her. Of course, it took a while for her to get up off the linoleum floor but that was all the difficulty she had.......she was brilliant!

Thats so nice of you Roz, I am sure the children enjoyed the show. I am thinking about doing the same with Blitz. He loves children and I am sure he would do well doing something like this. What exactly did you have to do to get clearance or approval to do this?

Not cruise related but service dog related. A few weeks ago we were returning from our Disney World vacation with our daughters service dog, Orson. We were going through security at Orlando International Airport. They wanted us to take off Orson's collar, leash and CCI vest so he could go through the metal detector. We refused because well trained or not, I wasn't going to have him without a leash or I.D. on. So they said they would hand scan him and pat him down. We had to wait for a MALE screener because Orson is a male dog. I think that is just a little bit silly. :D

Mornin' all:

DKD: Now that was just that, silly. Poor Orson, did they have to get down on their knees to confirm what gender? I bet he (Orson) was embarassed.

Saw a "Therapy" pup in Walmart yesterday. Big difference than Service Dog. His handler let him go up to everyone. He was a cutie. More of a white Lab. I guess they work, I felt "calm" around him.

Hope everyone has a nice day and isn't too miserable in this heat and humidity.

Thats so nice of you Roz, I am sure the children enjoyed the show. I am thinking about doing the same with Blitz. He loves children and I am sure he would do well doing something like this. What exactly did you have to do to get clearance or approval to do this?

There is a school located on the grounds of where I work. They approached me asking if I would bring Brenda to one of their classes to show the students what she does. These children see me coming and going to my office every day and they've seen Brenda playing in her yard when they're at recess.

Go to a school, approach the Principal [give a demo to him/her] and, let them know that you'd be happy to show their students what a Service Dog does, explaining all the rules; do's & don'ts when they see a Service/Working dog in public. Be prepared for lots of questions and even allow the students to give Blitz some directions.....they love that part.

We've also given demo's at Senior Clubs, hospitals and other Orgs. It's great for CCI and it's good for the general public to get educated about our dogs.

Not cruise related but service dog related. A few weeks ago we were returning from our Disney World vacation with our daughters service dog, Orson. We were going through security at Orlando International Airport. They wanted us to take off Orson's collar, leash and CCI vest so he could go through the metal detector. We refused because well trained or not, I wasn't going to have him without a leash or I.D. on. So they said they would hand scan him and pat him down. We had to wait for a MALE screener because Orson is a male dog. I think that is just a little bit silly. :D

Geeezzzz! We've had the same thing happen to us by TSA at different airports and even checking into some of our cruises. It's NEVER been consistent......sometimes they do, sometimes they don't!

You are so smart about not allowing Orson to be off leash & collar.

To have a "male" check him because he's a "male" is so moronic!!!!!

I had an agent open her mouth, pick-up her tail and check her bottom!!:eek: Poor Brenny!

They did more checking of her than they did of me!!!!!!!

No Sh-t, I needed that to get me laughing. At least it was a male security guard since it might embarrass your pup if it knew a female was fondeling his privates..... lol

My husband has taken Ollie into the kindergarten classroom where my kids go to school too in conjunction with the senses science unit. It's good for the kids to know the dos and don'ts around the dog since he is at the school for meetings and events from time to time. One kid asked if Ollie did any "tricks". We think guiding is a pretty good "trick" but the kid inspired us to teach Ollie "give me paw" for treats. It didn't take him long to catch on and he will now give paw as soon as he sees the treats come out of the cabinet without being asked :D

On a trip recently, TSA asked if we could take the harness off. We said no because that's the right answer and besides there is metal on the leash and collar so it would still go off anyway. Procedures are so inconsistent from airport to airport.

My husband has taken Ollie into the kindergarten classroom where my kids go to school too in conjunction with the senses science unit. It's good for the kids to know the dos and don'ts around the dog since he is at the school for meetings and events from time to time. One kid asked if Ollie did any "tricks". We think guiding is a pretty good "trick" but the kid inspired us to teach Ollie "give me paw" for treats. It didn't take him long to catch on and he will now give paw as soon as he sees the treats come out of the cabinet without being asked :D

Too cool, I am thinking Blitz would have a blast also and he is well versed in those cool tricks like "give me paw", "High Five", "Be nice", "Play dead", and the all important "Speak"....

Too cool, I am thinking Blitz would have a blast also and he is well versed in those cool tricks like "give me paw", "High Five", "Be nice", "Play dead", and the all important "Speak"....

Besides the "work" that Brenda does [i always show the kids what she does], it's really nice to have some fun stuff to show them too! I always explain that it's really not important that she does this but it's fun to watch a dog do it! And, it's another example of just how smart dogs are when they are treated with kindness, consistency and rewards - they can do almost anything!