Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I so feel your pain; often many feel its just a dog. Many people especially in my area believe a dog should be kept outside and have no rights. Many people do not understand the wonders of having a dog as a family member; I didn't say owning a dog. It is my belief that that the loss of a family member be it two or four legged is a great pain. When our pets are sick hopefully they have given enough warning that the marvel of medical science can repair what ills them. I hope and pray your pup gets better; my own pain was with King. While not a service dog he was trained as a K9 by myself and was very busy after Katrina.

This was my heart break and little did I know this was just a few weeks before his health would get worse and he passed in my arms. I dearly miss King and looking back I made so many mistakes with him. Mind you not knowingly but mistakes none the less. I am just so blessed to have had such a smart and devoted dog. While I made those mistakes; I hope that I have learned from those mistakes and hopefully I will make none with Blitz.

This is our Myspace Photo, from June 2009; I don't know who had more facial hair or hated shaving more...... lol

myspace_king1.jpg

myspace_king.jpg

The way he's leaning into you, you can just guess how much he loved you too!

They sure are, as is the price of decent food for our babies. I spend easily 300.00 a month on food and treats for Blitz and his two brothers. His two brothers are dogs that my children left behind when they moved out as adults. So I guess its not so bad for food and treats. Then the monthly flea and heart worm; I just received a love note from my vet reminding that Sarge and Willie's shots are due in June.

The AKC offers a HMO type insurance for Blitz and I have looked into it yet have not decided if I am going to do this quite yet. Monthly premiums yet its very limiting as to what it covers and just as restrictive as real HMO's.

Blitz came from outside the normal trained service dog loop and with that said I was wondering if the others here have papers on their dogs? My personal belief is it really doesn't matter if a dog is AKC or not although there are those who feel different. So the service dogs that come from CCI or other organizations do they also come with breed documents like the AKC paperwork? Is there a stipulation on breeding your dogs? or are they fixed? I saw a report on CNN over a year ago about a woman who had cloned her dog who was fixed by the ASPCA when she adopted her pup. She looked into it and they were actually able to clone her pup. A slight ironic twist on this story was she was a fugitive and when this proceedure was made public the men in black suits showed up and she went to jail. I am unsure what happened after that.

CCI does not have many dogs that are actually pedigreed. Brenda came with AKC "papers." Both her parents were full blooded English Labs [dad was black, mom was yellow.] Usually their dogs are cross's between the Lab & the Golden Retriever [such great dogs.]

CCI has the their own breeding program with dogs that are specifically meant for breeding only. These are dogs that have been watched very closely by Vets & Trainers. Dogs who are not known to have health issues, especially hip & joint problems. Brenda's dad was "Bobby" one of the most prolific Sire's in the CCI Breeding program. He was an English Black Lab, with the biggest head and broadest shoulders. She looks exactly like him. He past away at the age of 14, two years ago.

The breeders live in special homes and are taken care of like the Queens and Kings that they are!!!!!;)

Ollie is home. Poor pitiful puppy. All indications for now are that all is OK, but we will have a definitive answer after the biopsy results come back next week. He has 10-14 days off of work and my husband is working from home all of next week. I think that's a good thing lol. Stiches will need to come out next Thursday. We do intend on working him a little bit over the next few days, but nothing too strenuous. He does have to see how the Harry Potter movie series ends after all!

Ollie is home. Poor pitiful puppy. All indications for now are that all is OK, but we will have a definitive answer after the biopsy results come back next week. He has 10-14 days off of work and my husband is working from home all of next week. I think that's a good thing lol. Stiches will need to come out next Thursday. We do intend on working him a little bit over the next few days, but nothing too strenuous. He does have to see how the Harry Potter movie series ends after all!

Yey!!!!!! Atta Boy, Ollie!!!!! You hang in there and get stronger and stronger and you relax and watch movies with Mom and keep Dad company. We ALL love you and want you to be well!!!!!!!

Love & Licks,

Brenda & Roz

I am happy for you that Ollie is home finally.

I agree about Harry Potter also; from what I have read this is the most violent movie of the series. So the movie still has the normal rating PG-13 although many who have reviewed it warn of small children seeing this movie. My daughter got me into the Potter movies and its fantastic to see those three kids grow up in the movies. Its going to be difficult to shake the "Isn't that the kid from Harry Potter comments" for their next movies.

CCI does not have many dogs that are actually pedigreed. Brenda came with AKC "papers." Both her parents were full blooded English Labs [dad was black, mom was yellow.] Usually their dogs are cross's between the Lab & the Golden Retriever [such great dogs.]

CCI has the their own breeding program with dogs that are specifically meant for breeding only. These are dogs that have been watched very closely by Vets & Trainers. Dogs who are not known to have health issues, especially hip & joint problems. Brenda's dad was "Bobby" one of the most prolific Sire's in the CCI Breeding program. He was an English Black Lab, with the biggest head and broadest shoulders. She looks exactly like him. He past away at the age of 14, two years ago.

The breeders live in special homes and are taken care of like the Queens and Kings that they are!!!!!;)

Not to be taken rude but is there anything about Service Dogs you do not know? You are very knowledgeable about the subject for sure.

The way he's leaning into you, you can just guess how much he loved you too!

We were two peas in a pod for sure, he always slept on my bed until he was unable to get on the bed. Then I got him a huge pillow that was right next to my bed and he only went to bed after I went to bed. Yes we had a huge connection. Unlike any I have ever experienced; yet Blitz is trying very hard to exceed the standards set by King.

Not to be taken rude but is there anything about Service Dogs you do not know? You are very knowledgeable about the subject for sure.

Sorry for being so annoying and obsessive, I have complete OCD when it comes to these amazing dogs. I live and breath and even have CCI in my paycheck every month.

If you've had enough of me.....I give you permission to say, "shut-up, Roz!"

Not likely! You silly goose. I wish I could absorb half as much as you know. I try, but am a visual kinda gal and need to "see" how it works. If I had to do the paperwork and keep up on the shots and stuff, I would retain a lot more. I never get tired of reading about it. Maybe some of it will stick!

Not likely! You silly goose. I wish I could absorb half as much as you know. I try, but am a visual kinda gal and need to "see" how it works. If I had to do the paperwork and keep up on the shots and stuff, I would retain a lot more. I never get tired of reading about it. Maybe some of it will stick!

We can ALWAYS count on you for a kind word. Don't you ever go away!!!!

Sorry for being so annoying and obsessive, I have complete OCD when it comes to these amazing dogs. I live and breath and even have CCI in my paycheck every month.

Thats not it at all Roz, I enjoy your thoughts and it shows your quite knowledgeable on the subject. I fear that my posts are too extreme and sometimes off subject since I am new in regards to service animals.

Thats not it at all Roz, I enjoy your thoughts and it shows your quite knowledgeable on the subject. I fear that my posts are too extreme and sometimes off subject since I am new in regards to service animals.

You just stay your sweet, loving self and don't worry about how much you do or do not know. Your love and kindness showen towards your dogs will shine through.

No matter how much we do or do not know, if we just give our dogs the respect and kindness they so deserve they'll show us the way.

Yesterday I was walking Brenda and she kept stopping [i never turned to look at her], her collar had slipped down around her muzzle and she was trying so hard to let me know [i never looked at her because I was so involved in what I was reading!] When I finally saw what had happened I felt so guilty. I was tugging on her muzzle the whole time...such an idiot. That will NEVER happen again!!! :rolleyes:

You just stay your sweet, loving self and don't worry about how much you do or do not know. Your love and kindness showen towards your dogs will shine through.

No matter how much we do or do not know, if we just give our dogs the respect and kindness they so deserve they'll show us the way.

Yesterday I was walking Brenda and she kept stopping [i never turned to look at her], her collar had slipped down around her muzzle and she was trying so hard to let me know [i never looked at her because I was so involved in what I was reading!] When I finally saw what had happened I felt so guilty. I was tugging on her muzzle the whole time...such an idiot. That will NEVER happen again!!! :rolleyes:

OK I'm so confused what type of collar does she have? Did it crest over her ears and the jawls were holding the collar in place?

As for kindness towards my babies, they are treated better than any others that I know of. They are not left outside unattended, they are fed only the best dog food dry and can mixed. Their minds are exercised everyday as are their bodies and finally Blitz loves going shopping with Daddy cause he can get loving from his outside friends.

OK I'm so confused what type of collar does she have? Did it crest over her ears and the jawls were holding the collar in place?

As for kindness towards my babies, they are treated better than any others that I know of. They are not left outside unattended, they are fed only the best dog food dry and can mixed. Their minds are exercised everyday as are their bodies and finally Blitz loves going shopping with Daddy cause he can get loving from his outside friends.

Nothing special about her collar, just a simple choke-chain that I ignorantly put on wrong and didn't pay attention to. I'm a moron and only because she's such a well disciplined dog did she not bolt or get into trouble. :eek: :o

Nothing special about her collar, just a simple choke-chain that I ignorantly put on wrong and didn't pay attention to. I'm a moron and only because she's such a well disciplined dog did she not bolt or get into trouble. :eek: :o

OK now thats funny....

Everyone in my office is so worried about this "Carmaggedan" thing, where they're closing part of our 405 Freeway [starting this evening] for two days.....now, if it was a cruising weekend.....I'd already be at a hotel near the cruise terminal. Some people didn't have to come to work today [they're working from home......right!!!!]

I live 8 miles away from my office....no freeways needed to get to work....although, the side streets can be a complete nightmare, it's certainly nothing apocolyptic.

We angelino's don't do very well without our freeways!!!! My goodness, you'd think the world was ending!!!! :eek:

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, we're all going to go and hide under a rock!!!!! :p

Hi, I haven't posted in forever. We were away for two months, then on a cruise to Spain, home in time to put the house up for sale and then Oz's accident.

He went to jump up on his chair and the mat slipped out from under him. He landed on his back and was paralazed in the back end. A racing trip into the emerg vet...he said it was a neurological injury. Spine so swollen the messages were not getting to the brain. He was given steroid shots, back to his vet the next day for another steroid shot and also the day after. Then on steroid pills for 10 day, followed by 10 days of non steroid anti-inflammatories. Those are finished on Sunday and we see the vet again Monday to talk about chiro plastics.

We have had to keep Oz on lead 24/7. But, he is much recovered with only what appears to be a slight weakness in the back right.

I think his accident took 10 yrs off my life. It was horrid watching him watching me and knowing he was in so much pain.

The only other option to the course of action we took was to take him to another city for spinal surgery with no promises of positive results and big risk.

So, I have been giving my little hearing ear partner major love, in addition to the usual love. He is the Best.

282596798_ozandducks003.jpg.b682e0802a08f6ae65849edb1a2d8e99.jpg

Hi, I haven't posted in forever. We were away for two months, then on a cruise to Spain, home in time to put the house up for sale and then Oz's accident.

He went to jump up on his chair and the mat slipped out from under him. He landed on his back and was paralazed in the back end. A racing trip into the emerg vet...he said it was a neurological injury. Spine so swollen the messages were not getting to the brain. He was given steroid shots, back to his vet the next day for another steroid shot and also the day after. Then on steroid pills for 10 day, followed by 10 days of non steroid anti-inflammatories. Those are finished on Sunday and we see the vet again Monday to talk about chiro plastics.

We have had to keep Oz on lead 24/7. But, he is much recovered with only what appears to be a slight weakness in the back right.

I think his accident took 10 yrs off my life. It was horrid watching him watching me and knowing he was in so much pain.

The only other option to the course of action we took was to take him to another city for spinal surgery with no promises of positive results and big risk.

So, I have been giving my little hearing ear partner major love, in addition to the usual love. He is the Best.

OMG! How frightening. It's a dog owner's worst nightmare. I've watched Brenda jump in the air to catch a ball and all it would take would be for her to land wrong and it would be a nightmare for all of us.

You must have been so worried and scared for poor little OZ.

It's good to hear from you and I hope Oz gets better and stronger every day!

Before all of this happened did Oz get to go on the cruise to Spain?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

At least it appears the damage that could have happened I feel your quite blessed that the back right leg is all that appears to have problems. Count your blessings for sure.

Before all of this happened did Oz get to go on the cruise to Spain?

For sure, we had a really grand time.:) This was his 11th cruise and 3rd transatlantic. We are going again in October. Will fly to Venice, stay 4 days and then cruise home. This cruise is 17 days.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, the other cruises had such calm crossings. It is also our first transatlantic from Europe to the US and not the other way around.

We here in Ontario are under such heat and humidity........will be glad when it is over. I don't do humidity well or with "much grace.":(

57476771_ozandducks002.jpg.2c64d54c5f66b407609a94ff557fd08a.jpg

For sure, we had a really grand time.:) This was his 11th cruise and 3rd transatlantic. We are going again in October. Will fly to Venice, stay 4 days and then cruise home. This cruise is 17 days.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, the other cruises had such calm crossings. It is also our first transatlantic from Europe to the US and not the other way around.

We here in Ontario are under such heat and humidity........will be glad when it is over. I don't do humidity well or with "much grace.":(

Cool picture, thats Blitz kryptonite he is cool with dogs, cats, even horses but ducks and all bets are off....