Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here's something you don't hear too often: Horton's kennel-mate, who graduated in our class has been "released" because he growled and bit at a child in a park. The little girl had come over to pat him and his reaction was not good. He had never shown any of this aggressive behavior before. He's been pulled and will be offered to his Puppyraisers.

It's very sad and gal he graduated with is really upset. She'll have to start all over again and go through Team Training, if she decides to stay with the program.

It's just heartbreaking for everyone concerned.

This is so sad for everyone involved. I hope "bit at" means he just snapped his teeth and the little girl was not actually bitten.

It's so important to teach young kids the right way to pet strange dogs. Even (or maybe especially) kids who have grown up around dogs. From a very young age, our grandson knew he had to ask before petting a strange dog, wait for the answer and then only pet on the back (as some dogs don't like petting around their faces or tails).

Wish me luck, going to be on TV today in local area. They are doing a special report on Disabled Veterans and the VA Process. I will also be discussing Service Animals and Vet Organisations to help Vets in the process.

If anyone is experienced in that; its me..............

I'm to late to wish you good luck so hope it went well! Post a link if you can.

Kathi

OK Gang hot off the press, in fat the digital ink is still wet... I had no idea I looked this huge. I did not bring Blitz with me; he stayed home since I had no idea how long this would have taken...

http://www.wlox.com/story/16774082/disabled-vet-offers-help-to-others-trying-to-secure-va-benefits

In the upper right side is the actual news cast.

Can you imagine? He's such a beautiful dog. But the gal who was working with him became ill during Team Training and had to leave him in his crate a lot. Then someone else walked and fed him and then he was placed back in the kennels and came out at Graduation time. Maybe the whole mish-mash was too much for his psyche!

These dogs have feelings too and every time I saw him he was being rushed from one place to another or he was simply being ignored in his crate. It seemed very odd! Maybe when he finally went home with her he just couldn't find a "comfort zone." I feel so badly for him but I'm glad his Puppyraisers will take him and give him the gentle loving care he truly needs and definitely deserves.

I hope the little girl was not hurt and that it will not be a lasting memory for her! But, mostly I hope this beautiful dog can get past all the confusion and changes in his young life!!!!!

I think you're so right Roz!

Think about it: You're brand new in your job, maybe your training was a little bit lacking, you're trying to do your very best to remember everything and then you're startled by something completely unexpected. Wouldn't your heart be pumping pretty hard? Unfortunately dogs don't know how to take a "time out" when this happens so their instincts kick in.

We defend dozens of dogs (well, technically their owners) every year and I've never seen a case where a dog has bitten a person out of aggression, only out of fear. And in every case, a person has done something stupid--sometimes the dog owner and sometimes the person who was bitten.

Kathi

OK Gang hot off the press, in fat the digital ink is still wet... I had no idea I looked this huge. I did not bring Blitz with me; he stayed home since I had no idea how long this would have taken...

http://www.wlox.com/story/16774082/disabled-vet-offers-help-to-others-trying-to-secure-va-benefits

Aw Jocko--you look great! Remember the camera adds 20 pounds. Good for you to try to help others with the red tape.

Kathi

Aw Jocko--you look great! Remember the camera adds 20 pounds. Good for you to try to help others with the red tape.

Kathi

I wish that was the problem, the bad legs and no longer running and way too many soda's is what caused this..... Least I did trim the attempt of a beard and took a shower.... lol

Thanks for the kins words Kathi, I am all about helping others

Edited by guitarest

Awesome Jacko!!!!!! You looked great! Hopefully your story will help some others. We are all very proud of you! :D

Hey everyone! Its been quite awhile since I posted and am so behind on this board and for that I apologize :mad: I have been working hard to get FL state laws revised to protect all service dog handlers and SDIT (it looks like it is going well) :D

I could use a little help. We are finally daring enough to try another cruise with my son's service dog. It took us quite awhile to get over the last cruise we did with a service dog due to the treatment we received. I am hoping this one will be so much better.

We will be cruising to Alaska on Royal Caribbean with Autism on the Seas. Its our first cruise northbound. What requirements will we need to meet for his service dog? Is Victoria service dog friendly? What excursions/trips do you recommend with a service dog and a young teen with autism in Juneau, Skagway and Victoria?

Hey everyone! Its been quite awhile since I posted and am so behind on this board and for that I apologize :mad: I have been working hard to get FL state laws revised to protect all service dog handlers and SDIT (it looks like it is going well) :D

Little off subject what laws are you trying to get revised? Im a few states over in Mississippi.

Our current law is good, but not great. Service dogs in training are covered, its a crime to deny access to a person with a disability and their service dog, and its a crime with restitution for injuring a service dog. BUT the FL state definition of disability only covers physical, visual and hearing disabilities. That means the current service dog law only covers people with physical, hearing and visual disabilities and you can only be a trainer in public under the law if training for those disabilities.

My son has an autism service dog, so state law does not currently cover him. If asked to leave a hotel, we are educating and then sleeping in our car and filing a complaint with the DOJ while a person with a covered disability can have the police involved and the issue resolved.

The current wording of the proposed bill covers all disabilities based on the definition of the ADA, covers all service dogs in training and provides access to no pets housing without a pet deposit, allows service dogs and trainers with service dogs in training in schools, and makes it a crime to fraudulently claim you have a service dog or are training one. While the bill is not perfect, its a big step forward. You can read it here http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/1077/BillText/c2/PDF (service animals starts of page 6 line 163)

Bravo! You did a great job. I hope it helps other folks get the benefits they deserve. I wish you had Blitz with you to "tout" the use of Service Dogs as well!

This is so sad for everyone involved. I hope "bit at" means he just snapped his teeth and the little girl was not actually bitten.

It's so important to teach young kids the right way to pet strange dogs. Even (or maybe especially) kids who have grown up around dogs. From a very young age, our grandson knew he had to ask before petting a strange dog, wait for the answer and then only pet on the back (as some dogs don't like petting around their faces or tails).

Kathi, I'm told he actually "snapped" at the little girl and growled, he never touched her. We all know that even doing this behavior is enough to get a dog pulled out of the program. My heart breaks for this beautiful boy. He was Horton's kennel-mate and was such a beautiful and gentle boy. He had way too much to handle to be put in the situation that he was!!!!! It's so sad but he will be a happy, spoiled pet in the long run.

Imagine all the training and work that CCI put into him........Wow! I know they must be very disappointed for him too!

Our current law is good, but not great. Service dogs in training are covered, its a crime to deny access to a person with a disability and their service dog, and its a crime with restitution for injuring a service dog. BUT the FL state definition of disability only covers physical, visual and hearing disabilities. That means the current service dog law only covers people with physical, hearing and visual disabilities and you can only be a trainer in public under the law if training for those disabilities.

My son has an autism service dog, so state law does not currently cover him. If asked to leave a hotel, we are educating and then sleeping in our car and filing a complaint with the DOJ while a person with a covered disability can have the police involved and the issue resolved.

The current wording of the proposed bill covers all disabilities based on the definition of the ADA, covers all service dogs in training and provides access to no pets housing without a pet deposit, allows service dogs and trainers with service dogs in training in schools, and makes it a crime to fraudulently claim you have a service dog or are training one. While the bill is not perfect, its a big step forward. You can read it here http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/1077/BillText/c2/PDF (service animals starts of page 6 line 163)

You are our next big Hero. Thank you for all that you're doing for people with Autisim and their ability to have the use of a Service Dog. I have seen the light in children's eyes [who have autisim] shine so much brighter with a dog by their side.

Victoria, BC was the only place that gave us a difficult time with Brenda. We could not enter a restaurant, a gift shop and the floral gardens with her. They don't abide by our ADA Laws and don't have to. Of course, they want our business and usually know we've come off a cruise ship so one proprietor made an "exception" [as he told me] and allowed us to bring Brenda in to eat with the rest of the group we were with.

So, be careful about your plans in Victoria with your dog. Maybe someone can stay onboard with him while you take turns visiting places. The rest of the ports were very gracious and didn't stop us from doing anything with Brenda right by my side!!!!!

Have fun! Enjoy Alaska!

To foster a pup is a amazing thing first and foremost, to open your home and allow a puppy to come in knowing that in a few short months this dog will leave your home takes a very special person, and a special family.

The pups I have fostered are still in my family except live in different parts of the country. Mel is in Calif and Dia is in Ala, and while I havent seen Mel in almost a year I see Dia every other month.

I would think those who receive the foster pups after all the training would rather enjoy pictures with the family that spent so many caring hours taking care of the pup. Often people forget the most important stage of a dogs life is his first few months; those months are what becomes the foundation so other training can be accomplished.

So to Sunshine426 and other puppy fosters, thank you so much for the hard work the entire family puts into these dogs.

Very true. I can't thank them enough!!!!

Hi All!

I have been a lurker for awhile, but just registered. We are about to take our first cruise with our son's Seizure Response Dog in March.

I am from Canada, and noticed some posts above regarding travel in Canada with a SD.

Basically the laws for Canada are exactly the same as the ADA. If you are refused entry somewhere, you need to stand up for yourself! The Canadian version of the ADA is the Human Rights Code. Remind the owner of the business that the accessibility laws state that your Service Animal can accompany you ANYWHERE except the kitchen area of a restaurant. If they fail to comply, they can be charged up to $5000.

We have never been refused entry in Canada, but have been questioned a few times when traveling in Buffalo.

We have been told by Carnival that we need to comply with all of the entry requirements for Cayman even if we don't get off the ship. has anyone else come across this?

Hastingsmom

Hi All!

I have been a lurker for awhile, but just registered. We are about to take our first cruise with our son's Seizure Response Dog in March.

I am from Canada, and noticed some posts above regarding travel in Canada with a SD.

Basically the laws for Canada are exactly the same as the ADA. If you are refused entry somewhere, you need to stand up for yourself! The Canadian version of the ADA is the Human Rights Code. Remind the owner of the business that the accessibility laws state that your Service Animal can accompany you ANYWHERE except the kitchen area of a restaurant. If they fail to comply, they can be charged up to $5000.

We have never been refused entry in Canada, but have been questioned a few times when traveling in Buffalo.

We have been told by Carnival that we need to comply with all of the entry requirements for Cayman even if we don't get off the ship. has anyone else come across this?

Hastingsmom

Hastingsmom, welcome and thanks for the great information. I had no idea that there were laws in place in Canada that were similar to the ADA.

When we were in Canada we had a difficult time getting into a few public venues with my Service Dog. I'm glad I won't have to be concerned about this in the future.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with Carnival and Cayman. If not, maybe your Vet or TA can get the information for you.

Thanks Roz for the warm welcome!

We are facing huge problems with Carnival and Cayman Islands! Apparently we are required to have the titer test etc. required for Cayman EVEN if we stay on the ship.

Carnival's website does not reflect this, and yet that is what the Guest Access people are telling us. We would have to put a rush on it, and hope and pray that it would arrive in time for our departure...not to mention the $300 charge for the titer test!

A harsh phone call to Carnival will take place tomorrow, and hopefully we will get our final answers. Any advice from other cruisers on this would be greatly appreciated....

Hastingsmom

Thanks Roz for the warm welcome!

We are facing huge problems with Carnival and Cayman Islands! Apparently we are required to have the titer test etc. required for Cayman EVEN if we stay on the ship.

Carnival's website does not reflect this, and yet that is what the Guest Access people are telling us. We would have to put a rush on it, and hope and pray that it would arrive in time for our departure...not to mention the $300 charge for the titer test!

A harsh phone call to Carnival will take place tomorrow, and hopefully we will get our final answers. Any advice from other cruisers on this would be greatly appreciated....

Hastingsmom

Welcome Hastingsmom!! We just travelled to Cayman Islands last month on Celebrity. We did NOT do any titer test. That is ridiculous! My hunny is wheelchair bound and since it's a tender port, we were not able to get off the ship. We had the international health certificate, copy of rabies and thats it. When we boarded the ship we told them we would not be getting off at Cayman and that was it. I would NOT pay for a test you do not need.

Cindy

OK folks...I got two questions for my upcoming cruise. The first on is that we will be flying into Vancouver, BC the day before the cruise. I'm thinking all we will need for Orson is his shot record and a letter from his vet stating he is in good health. We won't need an International Health Cert. will we?

Second question is what is a good life vest for him? Are the ones they sell at Pet Smart any good?

OK folks...I got two questions for my upcoming cruise. The first on is that we will be flying into Vancouver, BC the day before the cruise. I'm thinking all we will need for Orson is his shot record and a letter from his vet stating he is in good health. We won't need an International Health Cert. will we?

Second question is what is a good life vest for him? Are the ones they sell at Pet Smart any good?

Because I worked yesterday, I'm home today on Morey's computer.

I was told you will need the International Health Cert. [which gives you permission to transport a small animal from one border to another!] If you find out something different please let us know.

My favorite life vest was purchased from "Outward Hound" online, you'll purchase it according to your dogs weight.

Princess supplies a life vest for your dog [i think Carnival does too!] The only problem with this is if there are other Service Dogs onboard, they only have a limited supply - so, I do bring my own.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Welcome Hastingsmom!! We just travelled to Cayman Islands last month on Celebrity. We did NOT do any titer test. That is ridiculous! My hunny is wheelchair bound and since it's a tender port, we were not able to get off the ship. We had the international health certificate, copy of rabies and thats it. When we boarded the ship we told them we would not be getting off at Cayman and that was it. I would NOT pay for a test you do not need.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy for the great information on Cayman.

I can't believe how the requirements can be so different from one cruiseline to another.

Hastingsmom, call Carnival and tell them what Cindy experienced onboard Celebrity. There should be NO DIFFERENCE from one line to another.

The cruiselines are still learning and hopefully, we'll be the teachers!

Thanks Roz. I tried to find something on-line about the health cert. but I'm not having much luck. I'll just have to keep digging or just get the International Cert. I'm gonna look into those vests also.

I would have it just to play it safe. It never hurts to have too much paperwork. The authorities will have NOTHING to complain about.