Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You're starting too small. Start with a larger box, if you can. 6x6 would be good. Then a 4x6 and, by that time he's acclimated himself to using a box and the 4x4 will be no problem. Remember to use a "reward" when he just walks on the box and ask him to "sit" and "reward", use your leash when introducing it. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It's wonderful when your dog becomes so "mobile" that you can take him/her anywhere and he will use these boxes.

The boxes onboard the Sapphire are about a 4x5, which is great. HAL used a 3x4 - talk about a tight squeeze. Brenda's poop NEVER made it inside the box and the way Horton pees, he'd overflow it on one squat!!!! :rolleyes: Good luck!

Thanks for the idea, seriously some times the most obvious answer just escapes me....

Did anyone notice all the cruiseship problems that they showed on that 20/20 were on Carnival?

Unfortunately, it's true. Talk about "getting your house in order"......although Carnival is truly the "cash cow" - She has a lot of work to do to get and keep "order" on her ships.

The crew, although they work very hard, need to rethink their safety procedures and who's in charge. To lose one life because safety procedures and man power was not properly in place is truly a crime!

Mornin' all:

I have no words for what happened to the cruise ship that ran aground, except bless those poor souls and there families. I read that they don't have an actual count because some passengers weren't registered? WTH does that mean? I can just go get on a cruiseship and no one will notice. And I hope nothing happens? Well I guess I do have alot of words. Maybe I should have said, "Don't get me started!"

Hope all is well with furry kids and their families. We are moving along, one day at a time..........

Mornin' all:

I have no words for what happened to the cruise ship that ran aground, except bless those poor souls and there families. I read that they don't have an actual count because some passengers weren't registered? WTH does that mean? I can just go get on a cruiseship and no one will notice. And I hope nothing happens? Well I guess I do have alot of words. Maybe I should have said, "Don't get me started!"

Hope all is well with furry kids and their families. We are moving along, one day at a time..........

Can you believe that they brought people onboard without putting them on the manifest. Unfriggen believeable!!!! It's beyond the scope of propriety!!!!!!

So, lives were lost and no one know's who they are.........So wrong!!!!!!!!

I'm off to CCI early tomorrow morning. Morey, Brenda, Horton and me are taking the 7 hour road trip. Today Brenda and Horton went to the Groomers.......they're really turning into good "buds", it was so cute to see them both go in together.

We're going to get a dorm at CCI, have lunch with the Team Training class and then go to the mall for public testing on Thursday. On Friday the class will take their finals [i already had mine in December, thank goodness] and, then we'll all attend graduation. I'm hoping my kids will be there.

Horton's Puppyraiser's wrote me a post card from London. They heard from CCI that Horton was being placed right before they were to take their European vacation. They're so excited that he won't be a "kennel dog" and are thrilled to hear that he will have a wonderful purpose and has found a home that will love him forever. I hope they send me some pictures of my boy......I'd love to see him as a pup.

I purchased PetPlan health insurance for Horton right after he came home with me. I'm going to present my doctor visit bill to them and see how much money I can re-coup. Can't hurt to try.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm off to CCI early tomorrow morning. Morey, Brenda, Horton and me are taking the 7 hour road trip. Today Brenda and Horton went to the Groomers.......they're really turning into good "buds", it was so cute to see them both go in together.

We're going to get a dorm at CCI, have lunch with the Team Training class and then go to the mall for public testing on Thursday. On Friday the class will take their finals [i already had mine in December, thank goodness] and, then we'll all attend graduation. I'm hoping my kids will be there.

Horton's Puppyraiser's wrote me a post card from London. They heard from CCI that Horton was being placed right before they were to take their European vacation. They're so excited that he won't be a "kennel dog" and are thrilled to hear that he will have a wonderful purpose and has found a home that will love him forever. I hope they send me some pictures of my boy......I'd love to see him as a pup.

I purchased PetPlan health insurance for Horton right after he came home with me. I'm going to present my doctor visit bill to them and see how much money I can re-coup. Can't hurt to try.

Have a great time Roz. It's gonna be great to have everything finally be "official". The mall will be a breeze. It's a shame Horton's puppyraisers can't be there. Can't wait to here your

"trip report". :D

Have a great time Roz!! Take lots of pics. I'm so glad you heard from your puppy raisers, maybe when they come back you can get some puppy pics. Would love to see a pic of the 2 dogs together. I knew they would become buds eventually!!! :D Have a safe trip.

Roz....is there anyway you can send me your regular email address? I have an internet friend, who is disabled, that was going to give up her dogs (pets, not service dogs) because she couldn't tend to them outside and she was afraid they were going to run off and her not be able to catch them. I asked her if she ever thought about a potty box like what the cruise ships used for service animals and she loves that idea. I knew that you would be the best one prob to describe what she needed to do, so I would like to give her your email address, if that is ok. Thanks

Roz....is there anyway you can send me your regular email address? I have an internet friend, who is disabled, that was going to give up her dogs (pets, not service dogs) because she couldn't tend to them outside and she was afraid they were going to run off and her not be able to catch them. I asked her if she ever thought about a potty box like what the cruise ships used for service animals and she loves that idea. I knew that you would be the best one prob to describe what she needed to do, so I would like to give her your email address, if that is ok. Thanks

Google is your friend, google how to train your dog

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+train+dog+to+use+potty+box&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

or use this as a start

http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

Edited by guitarest

Duh....I always use google.....why didn't I think of this....Thanks....LOL....

Mornin' all:

Roz: I know you are already on the road and won't see this, but safe travels and all paws crossed here. You know it will be second nature and the boy will shine! I have a visual of Ms. Brenny and Master Horty "butt" to "butt" in the back seat! Or are they elbowing each other and giggling, like we use to do on long road trips? I am so glad his puppy raisers contacted you. Now just hoping pictures will follow.

Hope everyone is doing well. We are moseying (sp) along, one day at a time...........

So we went and did it. We booked our Alaskan cruise for July, 2013. We will be on the Disney Wonder. This is something my wife has wanted to do for a very long time. She is already checking out shore excursions. Because we are in NJ, we are planning on flying in a day early. It will make things easier on us and Orson. It looks like there is a hotel right at the cruise terminal. It's called the Pan Pacific. Anybody know anything about it? Now on to more planning. :D

So we went and did it. We booked our Alaskan cruise for July, 2013. We will be on the Disney Wonder. This is something my wife has wanted to do for a very long time. She is already checking out shore excursions. Because we are in NJ, we are planning on flying in a day early. It will make things easier on us and Orson. It looks like there is a hotel right at the cruise terminal. It's called the Pan Pacific. Anybody know anything about it? Now on to more planning. :D

Awesome Den!!!!!! I would love to go to Alaska, but it will probably never happen. To long a flight for me. I'm sure someone knows about the hotel and can give you the info you want.

By the way, how did it go with the 4 dogs??

Awesome Den!!!!!! I would love to go to Alaska, but it will probably never happen. To long a flight for me. I'm sure someone knows about the hotel and can give you the info you want.

By the way, how did it go with the 4 dogs??

I'm not looking forward to the flight either but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Things went OK with the 4 dogs. The problem was that Pascal was NOT house broken. He also has a temper when you tried to take things out of his mouth like sticks and acorns. Orson was like the big babysitter. Any time Pascal was about to get into trouble with our older Lab, Orson would go over and start playing with him. Our Yorkie (Chaos) was not fond of Pascal taking all of his toys. Everything belongs to Chaos. (At least in his tiny little mind) :D

We are still thinking about puppyraising one day.

@DKD, JEALOUS!

We loved the Disney Alaskan cruise. Are you leaving out of Seattle or Vancouver? I know this year the ship leaves from Seattle.

We did the train excursion out of Skagway (loved it!), the whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau (my favorite day but would do things differently if going again), and the cannery tour/totem village in Ketchikan.

I would take that trip again in a heartbeat.

@DKD, JEALOUS!

We loved the Disney Alaskan cruise. Are you leaving out of Seattle or Vancouver? I know this year the ship leaves from Seattle.

We did the train excursion out of Skagway (loved it!), the whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau (my favorite day but would do things differently if going again), and the cannery tour/totem village in Ketchikan.

I would take that trip again in a heartbeat.

We will be leaving out of Vancouver. Which gives us the longer port days! What you did sounds pretty close to what we want to do.

I'm not looking forward to the flight either but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Things went OK with the 4 dogs. The problem was that Pascal was NOT house broken. He also has a temper when you tried to take things out of his mouth like sticks and acorns. Orson was like the big babysitter. Any time Pascal was about to get into trouble with our older Lab, Orson would go over and start playing with him. Our Yorkie (Chaos) was not fond of Pascal taking all of his toys. Everything belongs to Chaos. (At least in his tiny little mind) :D

We are still thinking about puppyraising one day.

I guess Danielle calls him "her little monster".

FYI - the Pan Pacific is a LOVELY hotel. I stayed there pre- and post- my Alaska cruise several years ago. Great location and views. Plus, plenty of area to walk/move around.

I also stayed there when my Mom had a pulmonary embolism on the jetway upon landing in Vancouver for their repo cruise to Hawaii several years ago as well. I must say, through all of the hospital running and her, Dad and I basically living there for a bit after she was released but prior to being flight-ready, the staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.

I would love to go back there (but DH doesn't fly).

Hope you have an awesome cruise!!!

rsilberschein@jewishla.org