Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So, yesterday it was Horton's "well-dog" check-up and a chance for our Vet to meet him; pick-up his International Certificate for travel, etc., etc.

To start with he's such an amazing boy at the doctor's; he's calm, ready to help; stands on the scale like a pro, is extremely cooperative [the assistants just fell in love with him]. He got his micro-chip implanted, had his knees, hips, heart and lungs examined and passed with flying colors except,.........he's got ear infections in both ears. The Vet said that the infections have been going on for at least 6 weeks, they involve a lot of yeast and, this means he left CCI with them [poor baby].....he had a cortisone injection, an ear wash and by the time I was through it was $360.00. He had started shaking his head the day before the visit and I was getting more and more suspicious that something was going on inside those "elephant ears!" Boy, was there!!!!!

We're past that and today he's got a tummy ache from the shot and is a bit lethargic but he's not shaking his head like a mad-man anymore!!!!!! And, he's getting lots of hugs and kisses from me and Brenda. PaPa is pretty crazy about him too!

Aside from the huge Vet bill [i just have to keep working a little longer] and those damn Lab ears........I'm mad about the boy. He sleeps with me every night and is learning that I will turn him over when he refuses to make room for me [i angle my hands under his butt and swivel those 10 foot legs around] and, there's room for me!!!!! ;)

Roz, Again our lives with these dogs are the same. Wex had an ear infection when we got him too. We wanted the vet to see him but that never happened. When we got home and took him for his first dr. visit, he had an ear infection in both ears and it was a yeast infection too!! :eek: Wex never shakes his head when his ears are bothering him, I always check them. We have this stuff called "KET Flush" and it works great. We can also use it as a preventive. Wex has very thick ears and I think they keep his ears very warm so the bacteria grows. That is his only chronic problem. How much does Horty weigh?? Wex just went in for the health certificate and he lost weight and was 67.7. A few months ago, I noticed his dog food came out with a "light food", 30% less fat and calories. So I put him on that. It seems to have done the trick.

Thats so cute about the sleeping. John ends up with his legs hanging off the bed by the end of the night. I'm not looking forward to fighting with him on the cruise cuz the beds are rounded at the bottom. I have a feeling we will both have our legs hanging off.

Well 2 more days. Clothes are packed, Wex is packed, just have to do toiletries. Wex is staying home today so I can give him a bath. Still have to pick up Johns pills and go to the bank today. Tomorrow we go to CT to get my son. He asked me the other day if I was going to pack for him. Really? I already washed all his clothes, did his drycleaning and put everything together in a pile, and now he wants me to pack for him. WOW 27 years old and mom still does everything for him. So I probably will end up packing for him cuz he will just throw everything is a ball in the suitcase. Next life I want to be a man. :eek:

Pretty stressed out, but thats usual for me.

Wow Den you really have your hands full!! :eek: Good luck with that.

Other than the fact that he's not house broken, he is a pretty good pup. He loves my daughter and is having fun playing with Orson. He plays hard then sleeps hard. When he's tired he goes in his crate and naps. At night we put him in it and he sleeps all night. But it's been six years since we had a puppy so we are a bit worn out. I now know I don't want to become a puppy raiser in the winter. :D

Roz, Again our lives with these dogs are the same. Wex had an ear infection when we got him too. We wanted the vet to see him but that never happened. When we got home and took him for his first dr. visit, he had an ear infection in both ears and it was a yeast infection too!! :eek: Wex never shakes his head when his ears are bothering him, I always check them. We have this stuff called "KET Flush" and it works great. We can also use it as a preventive. Wex has very thick ears and I think they keep his ears very warm so the bacteria grows. That is his only chronic problem. How much does Horty weigh?? Wex just went in for the health certificate and he lost weight and was 67.7. A few months ago, I noticed his dog food came out with a "light food", 30% less fat and calories. So I put him on that. It seems to have done the trick.

Thats so cute about the sleeping. John ends up with his legs hanging off the bed by the end of the night. I'm not looking forward to fighting with him on the cruise cuz the beds are rounded at the bottom. I have a feeling we will both have our legs hanging off.

Well 2 more days. Clothes are packed, Wex is packed, just have to do toiletries. Wex is staying home today so I can give him a bath. Still have to pick up Johns pills and go to the bank today. Tomorrow we go to CT to get my son. He asked me the other day if I was going to pack for him. Really? I already washed all his clothes, did his drycleaning and put everything together in a pile, and now he wants me to pack for him. WOW 27 years old and mom still does everything for him. So I probably will end up packing for him cuz he will just throw everything is a ball in the suitcase. Next life I want to be a man. :eek:

Pretty stressed out, but thats usual for me.

It's so good to know that I'm not alone.....poor Horty, he's not shaking his head as much but his tummy is still upset!

When we left CCI he weighed 71.5 lbs and at the Vet he was 72 lbs. The Vet want him to weigh 75 lbs. The way he gobbles down his 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night I think it'll be a struggle to keep him at 72 lbs. Of course, if he continues with his stomach issues he'll drop weight anyway.

Brenda & Horton were playing last night and this morning Brenda is limping.......my poor little girl. She's no match for this big lug. I hope it's a simple strain. :confused: She is an older woman and he's such a brute!

Your son is such a character....you do take good care of your men!

Cindy, have a super, wonderful cruise. Once you get onboard and put your stuff away, go get that foo-foo drink and don't think about anything or anybody for at least a week!!!!!!

It's so good to know that I'm not alone.....poor Horty, he's not shaking his head as much but his tummy is still upset!

When we left CCI he weighed 71.5 lbs and at the Vet he was 72 lbs. The Vet want him to weigh 75 lbs. The way he gobbles down his 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night I think it'll be a struggle to keep him at 72 lbs. Of course, if he continues with his stomach issues he'll drop weight anyway.

Brenda & Horton were playing last night and this morning Brenda is limping.......my poor little girl. She's no match for this big lug. I hope it's a simple strain. :confused: She is an older woman and he's such a brute!

Your son is such a character....you do take good care of your men!

Cindy, have a super, wonderful cruise. Once you get onboard and put your stuff away, go get that foo-foo drink and don't think about anything or anybody for at least a week!!!!!!

WOW...that is twice as much food as we feed Orson. And he weighs about the same. He gets a cup in the morning and a cup at night. We put in about a cup of string beans with his food. That helps to fill him up. Guess each dog is different.

WOW...that is twice as much food as we feed Orson. And he weighs about the same. He gets a cup in the morning and a cup at night. We put in about a cup of string beans with his food. That helps to fill him up. Guess each dog is different.

Brenda gets 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 cup at night. She's on Senior Maintenance and he's on 1+ Large Breed [Eukanuba.] I know if I gave Horton more than 2 cups he'd scarf it down. He's a chow-hound and he could be huge if I let him....then there would really be no room for me in bed!

Thank you so much for the wonderful blog and all the information that you provided.

Princess has changed their pottybox to a larger, more sturdy box filled with cyprus mulch......Loved it! Or, rather, Brenda loved it. It was so convenient and easy for her to use. They were still using the stairwell [near my cabin] and, I could have sold tickets to some of the other passengers who just had to see it and watch how Brenda used it!!!!!

Princess also provided a life vest for Brenda as did Carnival.

It is absolutely wonderful to see that the cruiselines are becoming so accommodating and friendly towards our canine partners. :)

Thanks so much. I've updated the blog re the life vests provided by Carnival and Princess. Quick question - was the Princess dog potty still a 4 x 4 box? You mentioned that it was larger. Just want the blog to have good info!

Thanks so much. I've updated the blog re the life vests provided by Carnival and Princess. Quick question - was the Princess dog potty still a 4 x 4 box? You mentioned that it was larger. Just want the blog to have good info!

It's definitely larger. It's a 4x6 box [very comfortable for a large dog.] The filler is wood shavings or mulch. Both are perfect as litter. They will leave the bag of filler by the box and I teach them to fill the box to at least half full....this allows the dog to have something to grip when he's eliminating [otherwise his paws will slip and slide around] and, this may make a squeamish dog less willing to use the box.

If your dogs box is too small let your Steward know and they will remedy the issue within minutes.

I forgot to tell you guys about Horton's sleeping habits. Remember how important it was to me to have a dog that would sleep with me. Well, he certainly likes to sleep with me but his sleeping habits are so weird.

He loves to rock himself to sleep. At first, I swear, I thought we were having an earthquake....no, it's just "Humungous Horton" rocking himself to sleep. You heard me right....he sways himself back and forth and front to back until he falls asleep!!!!! He'll love being on a cruiseship!!!! But try to sleep with him!!!!!!! I don't want to "mark" this behavior by calling it to his attention, maybe he'll outgrow it! Geeeeezzzzz, it's exactly what I had to do with my last baby; rock her to sleep but to see a dog do it to himself......OMG!

I asked for it and I surely got it!!!!!!! :eek:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello : )

I'm traveling from the United States to France with my service dog. I will have all necessary paperwork in order. My final destination is the U.K. I am aware that the U.K. lists certain ports and approved routes. For this reason, I will be driving my dog through the Eurotunnel.

My question is, will British officials take objection that my dog was not on an approved route from the U.S. to France? Obviously, Britain could not approve a route to France; since they are not France. Am I making sense?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge in this area? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Dutchshepherd: What an exciting trip. I think you need to contact the immigration officials in France and England and give them a heads-up about your travel with your Service Dog. Years ago traveling from one border to another was easy and simple, now there are certain requirements in England and France that must be met.

All current immunizations and a USDA Vet Signed multi-layered form is needed, I believe England requires that your dog be micro-chipped. We also had to have a recent fecal exam for worms.

I suggest that you check and make sure you have everything you need so that your trip will not be ruined by anthing that was not completed.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

We want to do another trip to Switzerland/France and England and I'm curious what we'll need. Let us know!

Thanks for your advice and wishes :)

So, it is your understanding that all of the necessary paperwork can be obtained before I leave the U.S.?

Am I correct to believe that the EU Pet Passport is something that is only offered to those residing in Europe?

I was aware of the microchip and the five other things, but then somewhere I read that it has to be a particular microchip to meet France's approval.

By the time I have this all figured out and take the trip, I will be sure to write an account of the process.

I guess the only thing I'm still very worried about is if the U.K. will give me grief about not putting my service dog in a kennel during the transatlantic voyage. The cruise goes to France, and France doesn't care about kennel quarantine. To avoid confusion. I cruise to France, then will drive through the Eurotunnel into England. Since the Eurotunnel is an approved route, all of the requirements will be taken care of as far as I know.

Like you said, I need to make sure to avoid having the trip ruined.

The trip you're planning sounds great. I've always wanted to go to Switzerland myself. Just remember not to run the shower after 10pm or hang your laundry out in the open ;)

Other than the fact that he's not house broken, he is a pretty good pup. He loves my daughter and is having fun playing with Orson. He plays hard then sleeps hard. When he's tired he goes in his crate and naps. At night we put him in it and he sleeps all night. But it's been six years since we had a puppy so we are a bit worn out. I now know I don't want to become a puppy raiser in the winter. :D

I call that puppy fatigue syndrome:D My husband and I love to bring the really young pups home for a few days at a time. We laugh and laugh at their antics, clean up the spills, and then send them back to the training facility.

Of course with my two fosters we have moved past that stage. It's nice having a combination.

Thanks for your advice and wishes :)

So, it is your understanding that all of the necessary paperwork can be obtained before I leave the U.S.?

Am I correct to believe that the EU Pet Passport is something that is only offered to those residing in Europe?

I was aware of the microchip and the five other things, but then somewhere I read that it has to be a particular microchip to meet France's approval.

By the time I have this all figured out and take the trip, I will be sure to write an account of the process.

I guess the only thing I'm still very worried about is if the U.K. will give me grief about not putting my service dog in a kennel during the transatlantic voyage. The cruise goes to France, and France doesn't care about kennel quarantine. To avoid confusion. I cruise to France, then will drive through the Eurotunnel into England. Since the Eurotunnel is an approved route, all of the requirements will be taken care of as far as I know.

Like you said, I need to make sure to avoid having the trip ruined.

The trip you're planning sounds great. I've always wanted to go to Switzerland myself. Just remember not to run the shower after 10pm or hang your laundry out in the open ;)

Your dog is so handsome.

Hey, Guitarist are you reading this? This dog looks like one of yours.

Dutch are you a member of IAADP [international Association of Assistance Dog Partners]? They have all the necessary information on traveling all over the world and just what is needed to do it. I would contact them and ask your good questions. They give you a break on a lot of prescription and non-prescription meds. They're not expensive and the knowledge you'll gain is so worth the membership.

Again, please come back and let us all know of your travels and give us some good insights to traveling Europe today.

What's the deal on showering after 10:00pm in Switzerland? And, I hung my laundry in the hotel bathroom [why couldn't I hang it outside?] You learn something new every day! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Everyone have a great week. We will be thinking of you all! :D

We wish you the very best cruise ever........Have fun and come back and tell us all about it.....Can't wait to hear about all the fun you had!!!!!!!!

Have a HUGE FOO-FOO DRINK EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

dutchshepherd: I have clarification on travel to the UK.

It's as follows:

• Microchip
  • Rabies Vaccination
  • Blood draw for testing at an approved Lab for rabies serology

If OK then eligible to travel 6 months later

• EU Certificate issued by USDA Accredited Vet and endorsed by USDA-APHIS
  • Tick and Echinococcus tapeworm treatments done 24-48 hours prior to check-in on approved route and recordedon the EU Certificate

The Vet to contact for questions about your EU travel is:

Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer

Animal Health

Heathrow Border Inspection Post - Live Animal

P-+44 (0) 208 759-7002 F-+44 (0) 208 564-8939

Elizabeth.Shickle@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk

Also: Here is the url for an acceptable copy of the Veterinary Certificate for domestic dogs entering the European Community for non commercial movement, from the DEFRA website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animal/ee_cn_fe-cert-english.pdf

I hope that the aforementioned is of some help and again, I wish you a safe and wonderful trip with your Service Dog.

I hope everyone's having a good beginning to 2012. With my new boy in my life, "everything" promises to be great!

Horton is settling into his new home. He has a moment or two of "testing" the waters......he'll grab my sock or a shoe [this morning it was a dusting rag] and he'll scurry away from me and take the cache to his bed. He has the look of a child who's just gotten away with something. I know I shouldn't encourage this behavior but it's so darn funny!!!!!

He has a good routine; he's sleeping better with me [he's not tossing & turning and rocking himself to sleep] he settles into a pill bug and falls asleep without moving too much during the night. He'll wake-up and check where he is and then breathes a heavy sigh and falls right back to sleep.

He's no longer drinking water and urinating like a horse and he's finding that barking at the littlest sound gets no reward and just a big "quiet" from me.

He's starting to do tasks and performing his job with more and more ease. Brenda and he get along really well and all-in-all this is proving to be a fantastic and wonderful transition for all concerned.

I must admit, I'm tired [and, I'm very high energy] more at night than usual so now it's my turn to get myself into as good a routine as the dogs.

I miss Cindy and can't wait for her to come home and share her cruise with all of us.

all-in-all this is proving to be a fantastic and wonderful transition for all concerned.

How great for you all! Part of it is just getting used to having a two-year-old in the house. Those Labs sure do take their time growing up!

I miss Cindy and can't wait for her to come home and share her cruise with all of us.

Me too! Hope they're having a great time!

So funny story tonight . . .

Leo and I are cooking dinner and talking about Tim Tebow and the whole "Tebowing" fad (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-mayor-Tebows-after-losing-bet-on-Steelers-Broncos-wild-card-game-011012). All of a sudden Toby and Tyler both appear in the kitchen and do their "bow" command. At first we couldn't figure out why they would do that and then we realized what we were saying. We just about died laughing.

So funny story tonight . . .

Leo and I are cooking dinner and talking about Tim Tebow and the whole "Tebowing" fad (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-mayor-Tebows-after-losing-bet-on-Steelers-Broncos-wild-card-game-011012). All of a sudden Toby and Tyler both appear in the kitchen and do their "bow" command. At first we couldn't figure out why they would do that and then we realized what we were saying. We just about died laughing.

That is a very cute story.......Okay, Horton is huge bower [is that a word?] I want him to bow on command......teach me the easiest way to teach him to do this "on command!"

That is a very cute story.......Okay, Horton is huge bower [is that a word?] I want him to bow on command......teach me the easiest way to teach him to do this "on command!"

Here's one thing you can try if he does it alot. When he is bowing, say Horton Bow. Then as he is doing it praise him with "good bow".

Also alot of praise when he is done.

Here's one thing you can try if he does it alot. When he is bowing, say Horton Bow. Then as he is doing it praise him with "good bow".

Also alot of praise when he is done.

Of course! I ALWAYS [or someone else does] make a comment when he bows........I'll start saying "Horton Bow" and then when he's doing it, I'll say "Good bow" and, I'll have a treat ready for him.....Thanks so much for the great idea....so simple!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Of course! I ALWAYS [or someone else does] make a comment when he bows........I'll start saying "Horton Bow" and then when he's doing it, I'll say "Good bow" and, I'll have a treat ready for him.....Thanks so much for the great idea....so simple!

I'll let you know how it goes.

That's me... so simple! :rolleyes: