Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OMG!!! I know CCI knows what they're doing when they match you with a dog.......but, this dog is such a character. First, he loves to play keep away with a toy and then it's catch me if you can with himself.

We have a huge, artifically turfed, fenced-in play area for the little kids. I thought while it was Christmas Vacation I'd let Horton play in it. Well, he loves it, he runs like a giselle and jumps and leaps and darts all around. I let him have his freedom to work-out all the kinks in those long legs.

Then, it's time to go back to the office and that's when he thinks its oh, so funny to play "catch me if you can!"

I finally stopped calling him [he was learning how to ignore me way to easily!] And, I just snuck-up on him and put his leash on. I want to strangle him but I kept my cool and just walked back to office.

Any suggestions, other than keeping him on a tether until he learns to "come" more effectively, would be most helpful.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

OMG!!! I know CCI knows what they're doing when they match you with a dog.......but, this dog is such a character. First, he loves to play keep away with a toy and then it's catch me if you can with himself.

We have a huge, artifically turfed, fenced-in play area for the little kids. I thought while it was Christmas Vacation I'd let Horton play in it. Well, he loves it, he runs like a giselle and jumps and leaps and darts all around. I let him have his freedom to work-out all the kinks in those long legs.

Then, it's time to go back to the office and that's when he thinks its oh, so funny to play "catch me if you can!"

I finally stopped calling him [he was learning how to ignore me way to easily!] And, I just snuck-up on him and put his leash on. I want to strangle him but I kept my cool and just walked back to office.

Any suggestions, other than keeping him on a tether until he learns to "come" more effectively, would be most helpful.

The long legs are funny aren't they? I love when Wex sleeps with all 4 legs together under his nose, so cute. I have never seen such a big dog with those legs, curl himself into a tight ball.

Unfortunately Roz there's not much you can do about them offleash. That was the only complaint we had about Wex. CCI does not train them to come offleash. When we take Wex off, he won't even look at us when we call him. Try a high animated voice, also cookies in the pocket help, and alot of praise when they come back. Wex never goes far away, he stays close, but still won't come when called. Two years we have been working on it. Good luck!

Here's a couple of Wex puppy pics, check out how long the legs are!:eek:

DSCF3936.jpg.e11422e5652a722f9b78ad827e0abbd8.jpg

DSCF3943.jpg.1805d586384ffee603418db2ca2adb12.jpg

The long legs are funny aren't they? I love when Wex sleeps with all 4 legs together under his nose, so cute. I have never seen such a big dog with those legs, curl himself into a tight ball.

Unfortunately Roz there's not much you can do about them offleash. That was the only complaint we had about Wex. CCI does not train them to come offleash. When we take Wex off, he won't even look at us when we call him. Try a high animated voice, also cookies in the pocket help, and alot of praise when they come back. Wex never goes far away, he stays close, but still won't come when called. Two years we have been working on it. Good luck!

Here's a couple of Wex puppy pics, check out how long the legs are!:eek:

I love the puppy pictures........I just know that's how Horton looked.......Cindy, having been with an English Lab who had short, short legs with a squatty body and then having this "Giraffe" is just so amazing and fun to me.

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the offleash fiasco........I won't be doing that as much anymore.......way too frustrating.

Horton also rolls-up like a little, tiny ball! It's so cute. He actually makes himself smaller than Brenda and then he stretches himself out and is longer than my car back seat.

I wrote to Horton's Puppyraiser's and still have not heard from them. Maybe they'll surprise me and come to our graduation. I hope I get some puppy pictures. If not, just send me some of Wexy and I'll be happy!!!!! I'll lie to my family and friends, they'll never know the difference! Unless of course they read this thread! :o

Our trainer gave us a hint that works pretty well: Most times we use "come" when it's time to stop playing so the dog learns to associate "come" with "the fun is over." So to disassociate, use the "come" command (with a treat or some other lure) and then when he comes, leash him, give him the treat and lots of praise and then release him to go play some more!

I wrote to Horton's Puppyraiser's and still have not heard from them. Maybe they'll surprise me and come to our graduation. I hope I get some puppy pictures. If not, just send me some of Wexy and I'll be happy!!!!! I'll lie to my family and friends, they'll never know the difference! Unless of course they read this thread! :o

Oh I didn't know that you were able to contact them. Do they live near you? I'm praying that they want to keep in touch and that they have tons of pics for you!!! We got like 400 pics of Wex from our puppy raisers. They were great about documenting his whole life. I haven't looked at these since we got him, omg he was cute. Here's a few more.

First one is one of my favs

2nd is him and his sister, she was released

3rd is my fav pirate!;)

DSCF3858.jpg.6df66fb2fd018598bdedcae69802279d.jpg

DSCF3886.jpg.4255cdce03ad762a27b0b22a206738ae.jpg

DSCF4053.jpg.21d3ab10df213f6dc8a47c4a9c2a84a3.jpg

Oh I didn't know that you were able to contact them. Do they live near you? I'm praying that they want to keep in touch and that they have tons of pics for you!!! We got like 400 pics of Wex from our puppy raisers. They were great about documenting his whole life. I haven't looked at these since we got him, omg he was cute. Here's a few more.

First one is one of my favs

2nd is him and his sister, she was released

3rd is my fav pirate!;)

Oh! My Gosh! How cute are these pictures!!!!!!! Puppy, puppy, puppy! I can't get enough of them!!!! I just love them!!!!

Horton's Puppyraisers live in Winston Salem, North Carolina.......And, he was trained in Florida and then sent to Santa Rosa......Quite an interesting past for my big boy!!!!

The trainers told me that folks have come from all over the U.S. to attend the graduations at Santa Rosa...It could happen!

I say, if you can't come.......send pictures.

I was allowed to have their address and write to them but it's up to me if I want to share my address with them. The second I got Horton, I got home I wrote them, giving them all my information and pleading for pictures. I'm waiting..................

Our trainer gave us a hint that works pretty well: Most times we use "come" when it's time to stop playing so the dog learns to associate "come" with "the fun is over." So to disassociate, use the "come" command (with a treat or some other lure) and then when he comes, leash him, give him the treat and lots of praise and then release him to go play some more!

Thank you! This will be tried at break time today........wish me luck!

At home he's now into collecting socks & slippers. He brings them to his bed in the living room. He doesn't chew on them.....he just collects them.

Brenda never did any of this stuff.....as long as he doesn't start eating our belongings it's okay with me!

Oh! My Gosh! How cute are these pictures!!!!!!! Puppy, puppy, puppy! I can't get enough of them!!!! I just love them!!!!

Horton's Puppyraisers live in Winston Salem, North Carolina.......And, he was trained in Florida and then sent to Santa Rosa......Quite an interesting past for my big boy!!!!

The trainers told me that folks have come from all over the U.S. to attend the graduations at Santa Rosa...It could happen!

I say, if you can't come.......send pictures.

I was allowed to have their address and write to them but it's up to me if I want to share my address with them. The second I got Horton, I got home I wrote them, giving them all my information and pleading for pictures. I'm waiting..................

If you got the puppy raisers address thats a good sign. If they didn't want to be in touch with you, I don't think you would have gotten their addy. Horty is a big traveler, he's been all over in his 2 years of life.

I can never get enough of puppy pics!!!

If you got the puppy raisers address thats a good sign. If they didn't want to be in touch with you, I don't think you would have gotten their addy. Horty is a big traveler, he's been all over in his 2 years of life.

I can never get enough of puppy pics!!!

You're one week and 4 days away from a cruise........How exciting!!!!! I can't wait to take Horton on his very first cruise.

Ten days away from a cruise sounds great to me. Cindy, can't wait to the the pictures and hear stories. Ha Ha Ha "Perky Sunshine"...I just never could adjust the west coast time. But, I do get up and dressed quickly.

I can't wait to give Cooler and Mackey's puppy pictures to their people. After hearing all of you talk about how much that meant to you, I've tried to really chronicle their first few years. Including fun stuff like Christmas, and children.

Ten days away from a cruise sounds great to me. Cindy, can't wait to the the pictures and hear stories. Ha Ha Ha "Perky Sunshine"...I just never could adjust the west coast time. But, I do get up and dressed quickly.

I can't wait to give Cooler and Mackey's puppy pictures to their people. After hearing all of you talk about how much that meant to you, I've tried to really chronicle their first few years. Including fun stuff like Christmas, and children.

You're the best! Having the few pictures that I do of Brenda are treasured by Morey and me.

I hope Horton's Puppyraisers took the time to chronicle this beautiful boy!

I'd love to see pictures of him when he was a pup.......he must have been so cute, with his HUGE ears!!!!!!

I heard from Ken, Horton's trainer, who told me that Horton tried to play "keep away" a few times but he would be prepared to have a food treat for him when he called him so that Horton soon learned that coming to Ken had something in it for both of them......I have to work on this one. He's such a tease......I don't where he learned this behavior but it's sure hard to get him to come back to me.

Having a reward when they come is certainly a very good idea. You might even make it as HUGE reward. Not just some kibble or praise. I reserve the extra yummy treats or small bits of cooked chicken for the big things.

Another thing to try is to run in a different direction from Horton. He might think it is a new and fun game. He'll chase you.

Rich and I play a game we call "Sandy Come" in the house. Started it during puppy training days. We have a long hall way. I sit or stand at one end Rich at the other. We just call her back and forth. She races to the person who calls, get's a hug and then the other person calls her right back. We would do it many many times until she was tired. Helped with that puppy energy as well.

Random Puppy Madness.

You're one week and 4 days away from a cruise........How exciting!!!!! I can't wait to take Horton on his very first cruise.

I know it's coming very quick. Let the craziness begin. Today I have to go do the big Walmart shopping to get everything we need for the trip. I still need the health certificate and a pedicure. My son seems to be all set (miracles do happen). John has been sick with a bad cold and some stomach problems so it hasn't been a fun week off for us. I guess I'll be doing the shopping myself.

Sunshine, I'm always up early, showered and taken the dog out before our breakfast arrives. John is always complaining that I too am perky and it drives him nuts. We are opposite when it comes to that.

We miss the first two years of these dogs lives, so pictures are the best thing we have. We appreciate that our puppy raisers took over 400 pics of Wex during his life and gave them to us. We treasure them! You are wonderful to do that and I know whoever gets Cooler and Mackey will really appreciate it. :D

Having a reward when they come is certainly a very good idea. You might even make it as HUGE reward. Not just some kibble or praise. I reserve the extra yummy treats or small bits of cooked chicken for the big things.

Another thing to try is to run in a different direction from Horton. He might think it is a new and fun game. He'll chase you.

Rich and I play a game we call "Sandy Come" in the house. Started it during puppy training days. We have a long hall way. I sit or stand at one end Rich at the other. We just call her back and forth. She races to the person who calls, get's a hug and then the other person calls her right back. We would do it many many times until she was tired. Helped with that puppy energy as well.

Random Puppy Madness.

Wonderful ideas. Morey and I will try it and I will have something very special for him......I knew you'd have some great suggestions!!!!

I know it's coming very quick. Let the craziness begin. Today I have to go do the big Walmart shopping to get everything we need for the trip. I still need the health certificate and a pedicure. My son seems to be all set (miracles do happen). John has been sick with a bad cold and some stomach problems so it hasn't been a fun week off for us. I guess I'll be doing the shopping myself.

Oh! No! I'm sorry to hear that John is not feeling well......He has to feel good, he's got some fun stuff coming-up and we need everyone onboard for it!

Sunshine, I'm always up early, showered and taken the dog out before our breakfast arrives. John is always complaining that I too am perky and it drives him nuts. We are opposite when it comes to that.

We miss the first two years of these dogs lives, so pictures are the best thing we have. We appreciate that our puppy raisers took over 400 pics of Wex during his life and gave them to us. We treasure them! You are wonderful to do that and I know whoever gets Cooler and Mackey will really appreciate it. :D

You and Sunshine would be fighting for the front door if you cruised together!!!

Morey is the early bird in this family. He can't sleep past 7:00am. It used to drive me nuts, until he learned how to close the bedroom door "gently!"

It's fun to watch Horton get used to my schedule......during the week, I'm up early and out the door by 8:00am.....on the weekends, I can barely drag myself out of bed until 10:00. I get up at 7:00am, feed & potty the dogs and hop back into bed...Horton goes back with me. Yippee, I finally have a CCI bed partner. Brenda never wanted to go back to bed, she wanted to "stand guard" at all times [you never know when someone will drop some food, from breakfast, onto the floor!]

Cindy, you're so right about those pictures of our dogs. It's as if they never existed before the age of two years. And, we know they were puppies......to see those pictures are so important to us!!!!

Sorry to hear about John, I hope he gets better and quickly...

Always have treats and work with him alone at home in random times not like a normal schedule. I do that with all my dogs and it works even with Sarge now. Wait till he walks away gets about 10 ft and call, if he returns treat. If not then show him the treat and put it away. Then wait till he walks away again; repeat return command. Soon he will realize that if I return I get a treat, if I walk away I get to see a treat. The listlessness really has to do with maturity and will come eventually.

Eventually this will be the trick; I promise...

OK a few comments, Roz wow time to go on another cruise with the new pup. Nothing like waiting a few days; lol. I wish you all the fun to be had.

Again I want to thank you all for your understanding and offer for support and understanding. These past two days have had a few moments. I received a letter from HUD and they have apologized that its taken more than 100days to investigate and make a decision on my claim against my former apartment building. Brief history I was evicted because Blitz is a German Shepherd. Its taken a year and a half and most of that time is because the complex is a huge company and every time HUD thought they had served all parties they found yet another hidden owner/investor. They have also done a great deal of legal maneuvers, they last one I found out about and HUD got real upset about this move. The company tried to and did resolve the current LLC and registered a different LLC. While I am no attorney I can see that if they are found guilty this little legal move would allow this company to say that was in the past this is a new company. The way I found out about this move was I originally and finally agreed to a settlement just to make this go away, the payment was supposed to come pretty quickly. A few months later I looked at their website and it announced under new management. Looked deeper and told HUD, at this time HUD stopped the process and decided to complete the full investigation. The complex's first defense was that I had forged the paperwork for Blitz. Then they shifted gears when I pushed them to the point of either accuse me of back off (with HUD present) they dropped that defense. Then they decided to say according to HUD I was required to get a full grown dog and not a German Shepherd. I have hopefully defended myself in this case and will hopefully know soon enough. According to the letter I received the case is decided and will be mailed to me no later than 31 Dec 2011. So I am very scared even though I feel I did no wrong and had all the proper paperwork and evidence to prove my case.

I also had the meeting with the VA and at the very start they were very protective and the basis of their defense was I was a drug seeking veteran. I thought about that and any time narcotics are involved its always a issue. I had brought with me to the meeting my support documents which also included proof of the suspect heel spurs which magically somehow disappeared. Another point that I had is during my entire time under VA care only one time have I asked for additional meds and this was when I had 5 vascular sores on my left leg. I also pointed out to them which is also documented when I gave meds back. The VA tries to divert the actual reasons and attempts to point into another direction and hope the veteran might back down. I did not back down nor did I get abusive, I approached this as a court battle which I have had to do many times since as a small business owner I get really upset when clients refuse to pay me for services rendered. One thing I pointed out to them is the fact that meds did not come into play until the doc forgot to write the script and went on vacation. Then I showed them the actual incident where I got upset was not one but two individual times. First on Tuesday on the phone when my doc told me I did not have heel spurs, then on Wednesday when he refused to meet with me. So after a hour we came to a resolution and one of those was a few comments need to be removed from my medical records. Granted this was done without the Doc present, I'm hoping this matter is finally resolved. I did mention I am not upset with the Doc since he was reacting on information from the other specialist who was just to lazy to look at my records. Upon the conclusion of the meeting my meds were also refilled, not so bad for a drug seeker; eh..... I must have done something right. Also it must be noted that since September my Doc has steadily reduced my over all total of pills and this was a decision we both made together from my request.

Blitz and I have a few serious days of training coming up starting tomorrow. He and I have not gone anywhere in a few weeks and the lack of doing stuff has resulted in a state of mind that gets Blitz excited quickly. So basically I do understand this much without me going anywhere due to my legs except for food and hospital visits its been difficult on Blitz also. I estimate it will take about a week to get him back to his normal lovable self outside the home. The trait he just recently got going is he is very hyper and actually tried to jump over me getting out of that car rather than waiting like he used to. I have never had a dog learn a trick or command and loose control so quickly. Granted its been since July and progressively getting worse due to my not wanting to leave home due to pain. So moving forward with a more motivated outlook its me and Blitz and we have some work to do. One thing for sure I am very happy about all those years in the military, all that time as a NCO taught me how to CYA like the best of them. I know I can play their games since I am well versed in their mentality (for now).

I hope all have a great holiday and be safe. The drunks are out already killing themselves and others. We just had a person in this area try to cross over a rail road track not even at a RR Crossing and his car got stuck. Then he passed out and the train hit his car; he died on site. When will they ever learn about drinking and driving.

Edited by guitarest

Always have treats and work with him alone at home in random times not like a normal schedule. I do that with all my dogs and it works even with Sarge now. Wait till he walks away gets about 10 ft and call, if he returns treat. If not then show him the treat and put it away. Then wait till he walks away again; repeat return command. Soon he will realize that if I return I get a treat, if I walk away I get to see a treat. The listlessness really has to do with maturity and will come eventually.

Eventually this will be the trick; I promise...

Thanks for the great suggestions. It's hard to remember back when Brenda and I were "new" to each other. She's so amazingly responsive now.

Horton's a big puppy and is "testing" me and my resolve! He doesn't realize how stubborn I am....He's definitely worth the work and I know I'm up for the challenge.

He's going to be the most amazing Service Dog when he calms down. ;)

Thanks for the great suggestions. It's hard to remember back when Brenda and I were "new" to each other. She's so amazingly responsive now.

Horton's a big puppy and is "testing" me and my resolve! He doesn't realize how stubborn I am....He's definitely worth the work and I know I'm up for the challenge.

He's going to be the most amazing Service Dog when he calms down. ;)

They all are, Blitz is not only a huge help with my outside needs but also my inside needs. He is also still a huge puppy and my issues are workable also. Since my motivation to leave the house decreased due to more issues with legs and just dang tired of the VA it has impacted my home life. While I am not a certified dog trainer I believe I am pretty dang good with the K9 world. From a blimp on CNN about me and King after Katrina to my latest pup named Blitz. I had forgotten that allot to do with training is a internal thing and your mind set. This revolves around your mental state of mind which our pets and service animals feed off of. I could be a walking and talking commercial for the Dog Whisper for sure. Its really wild how so much of his way of training involves the pack leader and mental state of mind. Its all 100% true and I subscribe to his method and have for years. Since following Caesar my ability to get animals (not just dogs) to do what I wish is amazing, even fish follow the same guide lines; abit very loosely..... lol

I hope my advice does work for you and I am more than willing to help any one here who might have questions. Although I do believe at least half of you are on my level or better than I am currently.

With that I will bid every one a happy and safe holiday.