Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, congrats on getting Horton!!! He sounds like a nice dog, but get those photos up, wouldja?!?! ;)

Guitarist, you never have to contact anyone about getting access to a public place in the U.S. That includes beaches (and parks and such). Your dog does have to be working as your service dog in order to be on said beaches/parks, of course; you can't bring your dog to play there if pets are not allowed.

As for the woman with the three "service dogs", if she had two that did two different tasks, that would be okay. But, not three dogs that all do the same task - that's just not right! Sounds like they were pets anyway.

To the gal in LA (or was is San Francisco?): Service dogs legally have to be potty-trained. They don't mark territory. Your dog will not be allowed under the law in any public place until he is properly potty trained. Male service dogs are trained to squat. As for the food issue, you can switch your dog to dehydrated raw (and rehydrate it with warm water) for the trip. There are a few brands of this, such as Honest Kitchen, Addiction, Sojos Complete, and Only Natural Pets (that's a Web site name, but they make their own dehydrated raw food). It is good stuff. As for your dog's "registration", that means squat, as soooo many pet dogs in CA have been given that tag/registration. It is a complete joke and I would say you should stay away from even saying your dog has it, as then many ppl will think you're passing your pet off as a service dog. (If you are doing that, shame on you! If you're not, then you can bring your dog on your cruise when he has finished his training that fits the ADA, which includes the potty training, as well as tasks and public access behavior.)

And a "hello" to everyone else! :)

Just thought I would share a recent video of my 100gal saltwater tank.

100gal Salt water tank with all native fish except for the Molly's. Enjoy the video. Fish in the tank are Sea Robin (big brown fish), Hard Head catfish (big grey fish), Sailfin Catfish (other grey fish), Bull Minnows, Toad Fish (in rear of tank in dark green camo), Blue Crab (hidden in sand). Towards end of video the Sea Robin eats 1/3rd of his dinner. That shrimp is huge and he normally eats 3 a day. The large catfish is the only remaining fish from the BP Spill in my tank. The others were let go due to being too large. My last fish was a Spade fish and he was let go a few months ago. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDx_m1z-58

I am privledged and honored to be posting Hortons first pics on CC. The last pic is of course our beloved Brenny. Horton is a very handsome boy and looks just like Wex with a bigger head. And yes we have found out they are related!! :D

What a beautiful dog! Thanks for posting the pics for Roz!

It's a boy!! And Horton is gorgeous!

Congratulations. Roz.

I just came out of hospital with my new knee and as soon as I got the laptop set up I looked for your news. So glad Horton is wonderful for you, and that he is fitting in well with Brenda and Morey!

Best wishes,

Celle

Thank you Rangeley, for posting the pictures.

CCI calls the excessive water drinking "tanking". They say it happens when a dog doesn't know whether there will be more water around. As soon as Horton realizes that there will always be enough water, it should stop. And yes...Orson has the same hole in his lower jaw. It's so nice that after he has a drink he likes to share the excess.

Oh! That makes sense......poor guy, he doesn't know that all he has to do is look at me with those "bloodhound" eyes and it's his!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be such a sucker for this boy.

Today I took them both to the groomer: Brenda to get beautiful [to get all that excess "stuff" off her, she's got enough excess fur to make another dog!] and, for him to get his nails drummeld. Geeezzz! CCI keeps his nails so short, he hardly has any, they said they do them once a week. I'll try to keep it up [with the help of my favorite groomer.]

Thanks for the water info. We had this poor dog dieing of all kinds of diseases and all he was doing was loading-up for the duration! :eek:

Roz, It's amazing how these dogs sense things. When Wex and Bailee used to run around, Wex would have the toy and she would chase him. He would actually stop and wait for her to catch up. He knew she was old and couldn't run that good so he would wait. It was the sweetest thing. He also knew when to back off. I don't know how anyone can think animals are dumb. Wex plays us everyday, and when we finally realize what he's doing, we wonder who is the smarter one. :confused:

Bailee was a head cocker but not Wex. But when he gets excited, his backend goes like crazy. John calls him "Mr. Wigglesworth".

I love the "Mr. Wigglesworth" thing. It's what Brenny does.....she's so funny, her whole body wiggles with excitement. So cute!!!!!

And, Brenda barks at Horton when she's had enough! Just ONE BIG BARK and he starts backing-up!

Before you know it Brenny and Horton will look like this!

Awwwwwwwww! I remember when you orginally sent these. I love it!!!!! Right now Brenny's up on her couch and he's sleeping in his bed or on my bed. I can't wait until they're on the floor or anywhere looking like your babies.

When we came home from work yesterday Brenda was definetly happy to see Horton.......they kissed hello! So, so cute!

Oh! That makes sense......poor guy, he doesn't know that all he has to do is look at me with those "bloodhound" eyes and it's his!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be such a sucker for this boy.

Today I took them both to the groomer: Brenda to get beautiful [to get all that excess "stuff" off her, she's got enough excess fur to make another dog!] and, for him to get his nails drummeld. Geeezzz! CCI keeps his nails so short, he hardly has any, they said they do them once a week. I'll try to keep it up [with the help of my favorite groomer.]

Thanks for the water info. We had this poor dog dieing of all kinds of diseases and all he was doing was loading-up for the duration! :eek:

They really made a big deal about the nails. I had cut Bailees before and made her bleed so I quit doing it. At CCI they told me I had to do it. So I do it every Saturday. Wex flips upside down, and thats how I do it. I just clip a sliver but Wex has the best nails around. ;)

I am privledged and honored to be posting Hortons first pics on CC. The last pic is of course our beloved Brenny. Horton is a very handsome boy and looks just like Wex with a bigger head. And yes we have found out they are related!! :D

Cindy, you're a genious and such a wonderful Auntie. Thank you so much for posting the pictures of Horton and Brenda. You're amazing. Isn't he a handsome boy? I promise to take pictures of him in his Tuxedo that you had made for him.

Brenda was so exhausted after playing with him......there she is in all her glory on her favorite couch.

It's a boy!! And Horton is gorgeous!

Congratulations. Roz.

I just came out of hospital with my new knee and as soon as I got the laptop set up I looked for your news. So glad Horton is wonderful for you, and that he is fitting in well with Brenda and Morey!

Best wishes,

Celle

Thank you Rangeley, for posting the pictures.

Celle, it's good to hear from you. I hope all is going well with your new knee and that your not in much pain.

Celle, I'm so in love with this boy. He's such a great partner and so easy to handle and walk with.

I got so used to walking at a slower speed for Brenda and even at some points I felt like I was almost going to drag her......poor little girl. Now I can walk at my usual fast pace and it's so much fun.

Take care of yourself and have a healthy and happy New Year!

Roz, congrats on getting Horton!!! He sounds like a nice dog, but get those photos up, wouldja?!?! ;)

And a "hello" to everyone else! :)

Hi Quam, I hope all is well with you. Quam, he's such a great boy. He's a big boy but he's a kind and gently spirited dog and, although it's only been a few days of a partnership, he's so getting me!!!!

I hope you enjoy the photo's that Cindy posted for me.

Roz he is so handsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCI calls the excessive water drinking "tanking". They say it happens when a dog doesn't know whether there will be more water around. As soon as Horton realizes that there will always be enough water, it should stop. And yes...Orson has the same hole in his lower jaw. It's so nice that after he has a drink he likes to share the excess.

So interesting....he actually stopped doing it today, thank goodness! He seems to be finding his comfort zones and has now started his "refusals." When I ask him to come to me, he, sometimes, will refuse to move at all. He'll just stare at me. I won't call him again, I don't want him to think that it's easy to ignore me. I put his leash on him and bring him to me.

I remember Brenda also did some refusals in the beginning. Once they learn that I'm more tenatious than they are, they don't push it for very long! Dog theory, amazing how they think!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

He actually stopped doing it today.....thank goodness. He's finding his comfort zone and seems to be more relaxed. He's starting to "test" me and see what I will or will not let him get away with. He's acting like a real two year old!

Roz, It's amazing how these dogs sense things. When Wex and Bailee used to run around, Wex would have the toy and she would chase him. He would actually stop and wait for her to catch up. He knew she was old and couldn't run that good so he would wait. It was the sweetest thing. He also knew when to back off. I don't know how anyone can think animals are dumb. Wex plays us everyday, and when we finally realize what he's doing, we wonder who is the smarter one. :confused:

Bailee was a head cocker but not Wex. But when he gets excited, his backend goes like crazy. John calls him "Mr. Wigglesworth".

Horton is starting to do some refusals [i guess he's checking to see how much he can get away with and who's the boss.] He's refusing to come to me when I call him or come out of his crate when I call. I don't want him to think he can ignore me.....so, I get his leash, go to him, hook him up and repeat, "let's go." He easily follows me then. What a "goober", he's testing me........such a brat! :rolleyes:

Just thought I would share a recent video of my 100gal saltwater tank.

100gal Salt water tank with all native fish except for the Molly's. Enjoy the video. Fish in the tank are Sea Robin (big brown fish), Hard Head catfish (big grey fish), Sailfin Catfish (other grey fish), Bull Minnows, Toad Fish (in rear of tank in dark green camo), Blue Crab (hidden in sand). Towards end of video the Sea Robin eats 1/3rd of his dinner. That shrimp is huge and he normally eats 3 a day. The large catfish is the only remaining fish from the BP Spill in my tank. The others were let go due to being too large. My last fish was a Spade fish and he was let go a few months ago. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDx_m1z-58

Wow!