Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Could this be sweeter!!!! Guitariest, I bet you love the fact that it's a Shepherd being kind, gentle and so sweet!

I do love the fact this is a Shepherd, Blitz and I have a connection unlike any Shepherd I have ever had. He lays by me all the time and when he isn't he just walks over to check on me. We went to a few places today and while we were out and about Blitz loves riding with the window down. Its almost 70 down here again so I have no issues at all. Our first stop was Tractor Supple for dog food and Blitz grabs a squeaky tennis ball while I put the dog food in the cart. We walk up to the counter and Blitz puts the ball on the counter and then it gets put in the bag after its paid for. On our ride to Walmart at a stop light a few people pulled up on the passenger side and start yelling his name. I have his door marked with Blitz, Co-Pilot and its really cool for him. He just looks at people and tilts his head. We stopped by PetSmart and it was a nightmare; everyone with a dog in S Mississippi was there. While I was there getting fish supplies for my saltwater tanks there was two different dog fights in the store. I mean really bring a dog to a store it has to be at least social with people and other dogs. Finally we stopped by BK for my whopper meal and three burgers for the dogs.

IAW we had a great day for dogs and me..... Yes Blitz is one heck of a great dog.

Horton is turning into the most amazing "greeter" when we come home from work. He loves Brenda and bows at her all the time......such a sweet boy. He kisses her face and you just know he's saying, "I missed you, I missed you, I missed you!" "I love you Brenda Elizabeth!" ;)

Horton is turning into the most amazing "greeter" when we come home from work. He loves Brenda and bows at her all the time......such a sweet boy. He kisses her face and you just know he's saying, "I missed you, I missed you, I missed you!" "I love you Brenda Elizabeth!" ;)

Thats so sweet Roz, Blitz has a total different reaction when we get home. He sits at the door as I walk over. I insert the key and open the door; he runs inside and the frigging house sounds like the local pound. Bark Bark Bark, and dogs all excited to see each other, its frigging funny. We could be gone for 5 minutes or all day its the same reaction....

One leaving Blitz knows he is leaving when I go through the process to put on my shoes, then its outside and release himself. He does not ride in the car unless he goes number one and number two; sometimes its the fastest I have ever seen him move. Then he comes in; sits by the door. I go out he follows runs to the mailbox and by the time he returns the door is open and waiting on him to get in the car. He gets in and were off to the races.....

Edited by guitarest

That is sooooo sweet!!! I told you they would end up being best buds.

Love the new pic of Horton on your posts.

Good Morning Everyone! Sorry, I have not been on the thread in awhile, and Roz, thanks for sending me the picture of Horton and reminding me of all my wonderful CC friends.

I take a lot of pictures of my foster pups and I know there trainers do as well. But, not all of the foster parents do. I do struggle to know whether to include any of the pup with myself of family. I want the future recepient to see how loved this puppy was before they graduated, but also don't want them to think they are taking something special from me if they see how much we loved the dog. It is a double edged sword.

Good Morning Everyone! Sorry, I have not been on the thread in awhile, and Roz, thanks for sending me the picture of Horton and reminding me of all my wonderful CC friends.

I take a lot of pictures of my foster pups and I know there trainers do as well. But, not all of the foster parents do. I do struggle to know whether to include any of the pup with myself of family. I want the future recepient to see how loved this puppy was before they graduated, but also don't want them to think they are taking something special from me if they see how much we loved the dog. It is a double edged sword.

Alot of the pictures we got from Orson's puppy raisers have them in them. It makes the pictures all the more special to be able to see them interacting with Orson. We know that they go into puppy raising with the knowledge of giving back the puppy. We understand what it takes to do that so if your in some of the pictures, that's a good thing.

I was starting to worry. You must be so busy with all your wedding plans.

When Brenda's Puppyraisers did send pictures there were people in them as well as other animals [cats, dogs, etc.]. I actually liked to see the other beings in Brenny's life......I didn't have enough of them but what I could see she had lots of people and pets who played with and loved her.

Now, if I could just see some of Horton's home life.....I'd love it!

To foster a pup is a amazing thing first and foremost, to open your home and allow a puppy to come in knowing that in a few short months this dog will leave your home takes a very special person, and a special family.

The pups I have fostered are still in my family except live in different parts of the country. Mel is in Calif and Dia is in Ala, and while I havent seen Mel in almost a year I see Dia every other month.

I would think those who receive the foster pups after all the training would rather enjoy pictures with the family that spent so many caring hours taking care of the pup. Often people forget the most important stage of a dogs life is his first few months; those months are what becomes the foundation so other training can be accomplished.

So to Sunshine426 and other puppy fosters, thank you so much for the hard work the entire family puts into these dogs.

That is sooooo sweet!!! I told you they would end up being best buds.

Love the new pic of Horton on your posts.

Cindy, they are so cute together. Brenda NEVER interacted with other dogs; either at the doggie park, at CCI or on the street. She doesn't even like to sniff them. She just avoids them and goes about her business. But, Horton intrigues her, he also will not leave her alone and engages her into play. Morey and I just sit back and watch the two of them interact with each other. He won't leave her alone until she plays with him......we love it! And, she loves it!

She tries to be such a "grand dame", she'll jump up on her couch and observe him but he'll go over to her and "bat" her with his paw until she jumps off and plays with him. Finally, she'll do the "Brenny dance" and jump around and wiggle her butt and, soon, they're having fun together. So darn cute to watch!

I'm glad she's enjoying him and finding him amusing. He's the funniest and sweetest big lug!!!!!!

I'm experimenting with posting pix......Isn't he handsome?

Wish me luck, going to be on TV today in local area. They are doing a special report on Disabled Veterans and the VA Process. I will also be discussing Service Animals and Vet Organisations to help Vets in the process.

If anyone is experienced in that; its me..............

Wish me luck, going to be on TV today in local area. They are doing a special report on Disabled Veterans and the VA Process. I will also be discussing Service Animals and Vet Organisations to help Vets in the process.

If anyone is experienced in that; its me..............

Good Luck, have fun!

Here's something you don't hear too often: Horton's kennel-mate, who graduated in our class has been "released" because he growled and bit at a child in a park. The little girl had come over to pat him and his reaction was not good. He had never shown any of this aggressive behavior before. He's been pulled and will be offered to his Puppyraisers.

It's very sad and gal he graduated with is really upset. She'll have to start all over again and go through Team Training, if she decides to stay with the program.

It's just heartbreaking for everyone concerned.

Here's something you don't hear too often: Horton's kennel-mate, who graduated in our class has been "released" because he growled and bit at a child in a park. The little girl had come over to pat him and his reaction was not good. He had never shown any of this aggressive behavior before. He's been pulled and will be offered to his Puppyraisers.

It's very sad and gal he graduated with is really upset. She'll have to start all over again and go through Team Training, if she decides to stay with the program.

It's just heartbreaking for everyone concerned.

OMG How awful!!!!! That poor girl must be devastated.

OMG How awful!!!!! That poor girl must be devastated.

Can you imagine? He's such a beautiful dog. But the gal who was working with him became ill during Team Training and had to leave him in his crate a lot. Then someone else walked and fed him and then he was placed back in the kennels and came out at Graduation time. Maybe the whole mish-mash was too much for his psyche!

These dogs have feelings too and every time I saw him he was being rushed from one place to another or he was simply being ignored in his crate. It seemed very odd! Maybe when he finally went home with her he just couldn't find a "comfort zone." I feel so badly for him but I'm glad his Puppyraisers will take him and give him the gentle loving care he truly needs and definitely deserves.

I hope the little girl was not hurt and that it will not be a lasting memory for her! But, mostly I hope this beautiful dog can get past all the confusion and changes in his young life!!!!!

Evenin' all:

Roz: Yes, really busy. The substitute job has become a long term sub. (til the end of the school year, at least) It's ok, even though I wasn't looking for a job, but keeps me very busy. I miss you guys too! I just cleared my email and had 300 in my inbox. :eek: Hopefully didn't delete anything important. I am so glad you are getting to experience your big ole lug Horty. I have very fond memories of Reno at all stages of his life. He was goofy and very inquesitive (sp) throughout his whole life. I can imagine the joy Horty has brought to your house and the interest Ms. Brenny is showing in him. Travis missing Reno, a lot. He talks about him often. He loves Ms. Jezzy Lou, but it is not he same............Gotta run. :D