Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I am so angry at myself for not taking better care and for letting my niece's dog be introduced to Horton. The scratch on his face is so "there" as a reminder to me. Geeeezzz, if you can't trust your relatives who can you trust?

Actually, it reminds of when my kids were very little and one of my new neighbors asked if she could bring her little, "darling" over to meet my little one. [They were both about 4 years old.] The little imp promptly bit my child on the shoulder, so hard that it left a scar for years. :( Needless to say that woman and her "no-neck-monster" were never invited back and we never became friends either!!!! But, my Lisa who is way over 4 today and I NEVER forgot the incident!

Roz you had no way of knowing this was going to happen. There is no way you could have prevented it without upsetting your neice and even then you had no idea as to what would have or could have happened. I know Horton means so much to you; as you do to him I am sure he is past the issue. You need to get past it also; not trying to be a jerk here; please do not get mad at me; Horton can feel your pain. The way dogs can feel our inner pain and thoughts can transmit to a dog who may become frightened of other dogs and turn on other dogs. I have seen it in my years of owning and training dogs. You need a positive mental attitude; I know he knows you meant no harm.

Stop beating yourself up over the situation. Just keep the wound clean and eventually it will heal I promise and all it will be in a few months is a memory.

Roz you had no way of knowing this was going to happen. There is no way you could have prevented it without upsetting your neice and even then you had no idea as to what would have or could have happened. I know Horton means so much to you; as you do to him I am sure he is past the issue. You need to get past it also; not trying to be a jerk here; please do not get mad at me; Horton can feel your pain. The way dogs can feel our inner pain and thoughts can transmit to a dog who may become frightened of other dogs and turn on other dogs. I have seen it in my years of owning and training dogs. You need a positive mental attitude; I know he knows you meant no harm.

Stop beating yourself up over the situation. Just keep the wound clean and eventually it will heal I promise and all it will be in a few months is a memory.

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words.....Have a great weekend!

You too, I just heard from the VA they mailed a decision in my appeal to me. Hopefully its good news....

Jocko: I hope it's good news, you deserve it.

Sunshine: I hope it's all going well with your health and your daughter's big day.

Cindy: I hope John's health is good and that you and Wexy are staying cool.

Nancy: I hope you're finding some fun and that life is treating you well.

Quam: You're very quiet, I hope it means that all is going well for you.

Kathi: Thank you for interjecting a wise word or two when needed.

Marcia: You are such a great gal and are so helpful & wise. Remember, I'm cruising on October 6th (Sapphire Princess.)

DKD: Love you!!!!! We wouldn't have a good day without your punts.

Peter -DVD-Where are you, how's Cameron and Wherin?

Cari: You're ready soon to retire Denver, let us know how it's going.

Valentine's Mom, Flsunnymommy,CJborne,Cru1ng and so many other's who have shared your wonderful stories with us...come on back and let us know how you're doing.

We know a pretty cool german shepherd too who has way too much fun while working and has been a great addition our family (although my cat still does not like him). We are all off to my son's soccer game, followed by field day for school for a good part of the day tomorrow. So ready for this school year to be over...

We know a pretty cool german shepherd too who has way too much fun while working and has been a great addition our family (although my cat still does not like him). We are all off to my son's soccer game, followed by field day for school for a good part of the day tomorrow. So ready for this school year to be over...

You forgot to mention how brilliant he is!!!!!!! Didn't the school year just begin? Please don't rush time too much.......I can't take how fast it goes when you reach my age!!!!!

Hi Algebralovr,

No worries about being "off-topic." Far as I'm concerned everything is on-topic as "something to distract me until I can take another cruise!" :D

I'm a paralegal and did some research on this exact issue for a CLE seminar last year. That said, I'm offering these resources as a member of this discussion group and not as legal advice. I encourage you to contact an attorney in your state for further information.

I'm assuming you're a private landlord so the applicable rules are found in the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/FHLaws/yourrights). A very good FAQ on the issue by the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law is online at http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=mHq8GV0FI4c%3d&tabid=245.

Roz and Jocko have given you some great information so I'll just point out a few additional things:

>>By definition, emotional support animals are not task-trained. They assist their owners simply by existing. This is different than a psychiatric service animal which is task-trained to ameliorate its handler's mental health disability (for example, doing room searches for a handler with PTSD or recognizing and leading to safety a person with disassociative episodes). The simple way to think of this is service animals are needed for what they do and emotional support animals are needed for who they are. Psychiatric service animals are allowed the same access as any other service animal; emotional support animals are not allowed public access but are allowed in "no pets" housing and to travel in airplane cabins.

>>Emotional support animals are generally allowed the same access to housing as service animals. As the Bazelon article points out, this means that landlords must make reasonable accommodations and generally can't pre-emptively charge a pet deposit. But landlords can require both emotional support and service animals to be reasonably well-behaved by pet standards. This means the animal is fully toilet-trained and has no bad habits that would disturb neighbors such is frequent or lengthy episodes of barking. The animal should not pose a danger to other tenants or to workmen.

>>Again, in the Bazelon article it says "In the event that a tenant's assistive animal does cause significant damage, that tenant should certainly be held financially liable." Whether it rises to an evictable offense is an issue you should definitely take up with an attorney.

>>Finally, these are just the federal regulations. Your state or local authorities may have laws that provide additional access for emotional support animals.

Hope this helps,

Kathi

Kathi, thanks so much, great information.

We had a great time yesterday and sold alot of dog cookies for CCI and the girl scouts. There was about 5 dogs there and a ton of people! John and Wexler were awesome. John can talk and Wex can put on a show. We will be doing it again today for an actual game. We will sell cookies before the game and until the third inning, then we will get seats for the rest of the game. Its Sox-Yankees so the park will be packed. By the time we got home yesterday, we were exhausted. Poor Wex was so tired. Poor doggie. :(

It's the Red Sox not the White Sox, right? I need to get out more! :o:rolleyes:

Cindy, John & Wex thank you so much for all that you do for CCI.

Got bored today since its a uggg day out side, not raining no sun and gnats all over....

Blitz is upper left, Dia is upper right and the original South Mississippi GSD King

is on the bottom.

gsdsign.gif

Edited by guitarest

I went to the baby shower today and Michelle was there [my niece who owns the dog who bit Horton.] Horton's scar is still visible. I showed it to her and she felt horrible. She said her dog is going to be going to socialization classes and she couldn't be more upset about it!

It's over, Horty's scar will hopefully get less and less and we'll all go forward from here.

I'm such a "mama-lion" when it comes to my children and my dogs. I'm very protective!!!! Can't help it, it's just who I am.

I hear ya, be careful about what you ask for though. One day I was complaining and the next day my children graduated high school. Then they move on with their own lives with their own families and your wishing to have those projects again..........

Hi everyone :

I am a new graduate of a Hearing dog and we are taking a cruise in a few days. Just wondering if there are any tips I should know for taking her with me. I have cruised before just not with a service dog.

Thanks in advance

Starla

Hi everyone :

I am a new graduate of a Hearing dog and we are taking a cruise in a few days. Just wondering if there are any tips I should know for taking her with me. I have cruised before just not with a service dog.

Thanks in advance

Starla

I'm sure Roz or the others will chime in soon enough; best advice is to find out from cruise line as to what the different countries require for documents so your service animal can enter other countries. It is my understanding that even if you stay on the boat you have to have these documents etc. Also the dog has to be able to relieve itself in a 3X3 or 4X4 littler box; so it might be best to start with that training before you leave. Again I am not a authority of these situations only know what I have read; many here cruise so much they use Carnival as a forwarding address...... lol

Hi everyone :

Thanks in advance

Starla

Starla: Welcome! First, congratulations on your Hearing Dog. Your world will be so much brighter and bigger. You will absolutely love cruising with your dog, it's so much fun.

Make sure your paperwork is in order. If you're flying; the TSA will ask to see your documentation for your dog. The Intl. Cert. from the FDA is what is needed and it is provided by a Vet who is Certified to provide this. Ask your Vet and he/she will direct you. If you've just received your dog than all his/her shots are current, as well as his test for heartworm and the useage of Heartguard. This is very important.

Make 3 copies of all your dogs paperwork. Keep the original for yourself and have it ready to to show to the TSA and Immigration and give a copy to the cruise check-in personnel.

Once you've gone to your cabin to drop off your stuff go check-out the potty-box area. I insist that my potty-box be placed in the stairwell closest to my cabin [which is why I ALWAYS book a cabin near the rear of the ship.]

Make sure the box is big enough and there's enough filler in it. If not, call your room steward and request that it made right for you. Bring some extra potty bags to leave at the box [they'll provide the recepticle for disposal of the waste bags and they'll remove them for you.

Do allow for "patting" when your dog is not working and be ready to be stopped and asked the most inanane questions because you're not blind and the public has no idea about "Hearing Dogs!"

What ship will you be on? Where are you going?

Check-out your table in the dining room and make sure there's room for your dog to lay down without being stepped on or kicked.

When you think-out all your possibilities and plan ahead it just makes for a much more pleasant cruising experience.

Watch out for people who will "jam" into the elevators and will show little or no care whether he is stepped on or pushed. Be aware of your dogs comfort zone and try to "pre-think" different scenerio's that may occur.

Most importantly, keep a smile on your face and remember you will represent all of us for the next time we board!!!!!! Have fun!

If you have any specific questions please ask. My Brenda [12 year old Black Lab completed her 15th cruise last September] and Horton [2 year old Black Lab/Golden cross, just completed his first one this past March.] We've got some experience with the different ships/lines and we'd love to help you plan your first.

So I just got on for the first time today and the photo below was sent to me by my daughter in law. What a wonderful photo of the grand babies..... For those still too young to have grand babies and no matter how much your current kids stress you this makes it worth it. I promise, the first time you hear Grand Daddy or Grand Dad it just makes you feel like every thing in life up to that point was worth the pain.... Look at my grandson Logan looking up at Emma and smiling. She is such a good big big sister!

I promise.........

grandbabies.jpg

So I just got on for the first time today and the photo below was sent to me by my daughter in law. What a wonderful photo of the grand babies..... For those still too young to have grand babies and no matter how much your current kids stress you this makes it worth it. I promise, the first time you hear Grand Daddy or Grand Dad it just makes you feel like every thing in life up to that point was worth the pain.... Look at my grandson Logan looking up at Emma and smiling. She is such a good big big sister!

I promise.........

grandbabies.jpg

This picture belongs to ALL of us! It's so beautiful. You should be proud. I love how the baby is looking at her with such love and adoration!!!!! So cute!!!! :)

Would anyone care to shed some light on this Celebrity board thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623482

Someone's relative thought they saw a person with a service cat on board, and some posters are getting all hot about possible allergies to cats.

I'm not an expert on the ADA, or on what service animals are allowed on cruise ships, but I am pretty certain that only service dogs are allowed - however, I lack any authority to say so.

Celle

Cars are not recognized as service animals under the ADA. In my program here in S Miss we do provide cats for those who rather have a cat for a emotional support animals, although its local and not supported under the law. So far the only 2 species that fall under the ADA are Dogs and miniature Horses.