Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Is Holland America appropriate for kids? My in-laws have been on that line a few times and have had good things to say about them.

Holland America is a very classy line. They do have a kids program and a room filled with stuff for them to do, as well as lovely counselors. They don't have a rock climbing wall/fancy slides at the pool or an ice skating rink but they do have pools/gyms/ and a kids program.

The impression I had of Holland America was more "high class" but good to know they have kids' programs available. If we do something other than Disney, I'll ask them to explore Princess. Thanks for the guidance. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Holland America is a very classy line. They do have a kids program and a room filled with stuff for them to do, as well as lovely counselors. They don't have a rock climbing wall/fancy slides at the pool or an ice skating rink but they do have pools/gyms/ and a kids program.

Classy? Darn nobody told us!! And who would believe they let us cruise on this line!!!! :eek: It's especially classy when people stop and take pics of our dog peeing and pooping in the potty box. :eek: I don't think that HAL is the best for kids. They do have a kids club but the passengers seem to be older. I agree with Roz, Princess has that wonderful MUTS and who doesn't love the mind blowing sound of cartoon movies all day long. I have never cruised RCL but I would bet they have alot of things for kids. It seems they have alot of fun stuff.

A few years ago we met this couple on one of our cruises. Both of them are handicapped and noticed Wex so they came over to chat. We became friends and ended up sharing our cabana on Half Moon Cay with them and the friends they were travelling with. They were facinated with Wex and when they got home they decided to put in an application for a dog. They have waited a long time and we found out in May they are finally getting their dog! We are so excited for them. John emailed them and told them we are cruising in January and it would be great if they could cruise with us and the new dog. I hope they can go, it would be so fun to cruise with another dog, even if it's not Horty. ;) I can help them out with all the paperwork stuff, if I can figure it out myself. :confused:

Roz, I have a question.... the last cruise you took was the Golden Gate bridge cruise right? Are you taking that exact cruise 2 more times or are these next 2 cruises different??

Cindy

Wow we had a rough ride last night; the weather came through and with the wind we lost power around 12:30; then it came back on and then flickered and went off again. I have back up air pumps that are battery operated for the three aquariums. I had three scared little babies all over me because the lighting was so bad. I was woke up around 4:30 by the dogs when Ms Power was outside restoring the power during this nasty weather. My front and back yards looked like lakes with whitecaps due to the strong winds. Glad its over finally....

My husband had to take a quick, unexpected trip to New Orleans. He flew into Houston Tuesday and dealt with the storms and got out of NOLA Wednesday before it came. I tried to call my in-laws yesterday afternoon and neither the house phone nor cell phone picked up.

My kids are well behaved and a bit older and I think they'd be OK on HAL. My nephews are younger (6, 2 1/2, and almost here) and are not "bad" but they are little boys, if you know what I mean. We might be better off looking at Princess or Royal Caribbean.

Classy? Darn nobody told us!! And who would believe they let us cruise on this line!!!! :eek: It's especially classy when people stop and take pics of our dog peeing and pooping in the potty box. :eek: I don't think that HAL is the best for kids. They do have a kids club but the passengers seem to be older. I agree with Roz, Princess has that wonderful MUTS and who doesn't love the mind blowing sound of cartoon movies all day long. I have never cruised RCL but I would bet they have alot of things for kids. It seems they have alot of fun stuff.

A few years ago we met this couple on one of our cruises. Both of them are handicapped and noticed Wex so they came over to chat. We became friends and ended up sharing our cabana on Half Moon Cay with them and the friends they were travelling with. They were facinated with Wex and when they got home they decided to put in an application for a dog. They have waited a long time and we found out in May they are finally getting their dog! We are so excited for them. John emailed them and told them we are cruising in January and it would be great if they could cruise with us and the new dog. I hope they can go, it would be so fun to cruise with another dog, even if it's not Horty. ;) I can help them out with all the paperwork stuff, if I can figure it out myself. :confused:

Roz, I have a question.... the last cruise you took was the Golden Gate bridge cruise right? Are you taking that exact cruise 2 more times or are these next 2 cruises different??

Cindy

Cindy, it's so funny but we, too, have had people who wanted to follow Brenda and see her go potty and then want to take a picture.

HAL put her potty box on a deck that people also used for jogging so we always had an audience. I prefer the way Princess does it. They put the box in a stairwell, away from the maddening crowds but not away from the papparazzi who follow us.

I have not taken RCCL with Brenda so I can't speak about their Speical Access Dept. or the care that a Service Dog would get onboard.

How wonderful about the folks you met onboard. Did they get a CCI dog. You know how I feel about wanting to cruise with you guys.

Yes, we're doing the exact itinerary I did with Sunshine in September. Brenda was having little or nothing to do with tendering or even walking off the ship. I felt I was dragging her everywhere.

This trip, I will get to do a lot of the things I didn't get to do last time, although I had a wonderful cruise, I was pretty much stuck to the ship. Horton loves to walk and getting into a tender will be like getting into my car - No big deal! The cruise in October is two full days in San Francisco and a day in Catalina.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Another question for you. A friend approached me about cost of a service dog. She has a friend that was injured years ago in a motorcycle accident. He had been able to walk with the use of crutches but because it has been so long, he is having upper body issues and apparently has worsened to the point where he may benefit from a dog. I told her to look into CCI. I believe there is one in NY and CA.

How much does it cost to get a dog from CCI and could any of you share tips or contact info (or a weblink). Any other organizations you might recommend?

Another question for you. A friend approached me about cost of a service dog. She has a friend that was injured years ago in a motorcycle accident. He had been able to walk with the use of crutches but because it has been so long, he is having upper body issues and apparently has worsened to the point where he may benefit from a dog. I told her to look into CCI. I believe there is one in NY and CA.

How much does it cost to get a dog from CCI and could any of you share tips or contact info (or a weblink). Any other organizations you might recommend?

The cost for the most wonderfully trained and amazing dog you will ever have is: ZERO - ZIP - ZILCH!!!!!! CCI does not charge for their dogs and the recipient will stay in one of their dorms, which is similar to college [on concrete!] I bring my own throw rugs because I hate the floors. CCI wil supply everything to you and will give you the opportunity to purchase more if you wish.

They only breed/puppy raise and train; Labrador Retrievers & Golden Retrievers or a cross of the two.

Wonderful donors like Dean Koontz & Charles Schulz Foundation, along with many, many others give millions of dollars to CCI so that they can provide these amazing heroes to people like me.

CCI can give you the names of lots of other organizations if they don't fit you.

Canine Companions for Independence - National Headquarters & Northwest Regional Center - P.O. Box 446, Santa Rosa, CA 95402 - 707.4771700 - Voice 707.577.1756 TTY.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy

Wex can cruise with Orson in Alaska, July 2013. :D

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

Cindy, it's so funny but we, too, have had people who wanted to follow Brenda and see her go potty and then want to take a picture.

HAL put her potty box on a deck that people also used for jogging so we always had an audience. I prefer the way Princess does it. They put the box in a stairwell, away from the maddening crowds but not away from the papparazzi who follow us.

I have not taken RCCL with Brenda so I can't speak about their Speical Access Dept. or the care that a Service Dog would get onboard.

How wonderful about the folks you met onboard. Did they get a CCI dog. You know how I feel about wanting to cruise with you guys.

Yes, we're doing the exact itinerary I did with Sunshine in September. Brenda was having little or nothing to do with tendering or even walking off the ship. I felt I was dragging her everywhere.

This trip, I will get to do a lot of the things I didn't get to do last time, although I had a wonderful cruise, I was pretty much stuck to the ship. Horton loves to walk and getting into a tender will be like getting into my car - No big deal! The cruise in October is two full days in San Francisco and a day in Catalina.

He is getting a dog from CCI (fingers crossed). Our friends did try another org before CCI but I think they only put out 1 or 2 dogs a year and he wasn't chosen. Hal usually puts the potty box on the promenade deck forward. It's perfect for us cuz a stairwell would not work for John. On Celebrity they put the box down a crew hallway on the promenade deck. It barely fit John's wheelchair and was a windtunnel. Some nights we could barely walk down it because the wind was really that strong. Not a good spot.

Is your cruise in Sept the same thing too? Brenny had enough, she just wants to relax! Horty should be nice and peppy for you.

He is getting a dog from CCI (fingers crossed). Our friends did try another org before CCI but I think they only put out 1 or 2 dogs a year and he wasn't chosen. Hal usually puts the potty box on the promenade deck forward. It's perfect for us cuz a stairwell would not work for John. On Celebrity they put the box down a crew hallway on the promenade deck. It barely fit John's wheelchair and was a windtunnel. Some nights we could barely walk down it because the wind was really that strong. Not a good spot.

Is your cruise in Sept the same thing too? Brenny had enough, she just wants to relax! Horty should be nice and peppy for you.

Cindy, we cruised last Sept. [with Sunshine], I barely left the ship.

I'm cruising this weekend and plan on enjoying every port and again on October 6th because I haven't been to Catalina in a hundred years and who doesn't love 2 days in San Fran. This weekend is with two Sister's in Law and October with my lover. ;)

Cindy, we cruised last Sept. [with Sunshine], I barely left the ship.

I'm cruising this weekend and plan on enjoying every port and again on October 6th because I haven't been to Catalina in a hundred years and who doesn't love 2 days in San Fran. This weekend is with two Sister's in Law and October with my lover. ;)

Lover? Hmmm wonder who that could be.

What a day today, a new addition to the family arrived today. Logan Angle @ 6lbs and 11oz born to my son Michael and his wife Sharleen. My daughter came down and spent the day with me also and treated me to not only lunch but dinner; and I got to watch her German Shepherd today. Her name is Dia and she is one year old on Saturday and is a solid 60lbs and looks so small next to Blitz with his 96lbs. We stayed inside all day unless the pups needed to relieve themselves. Blitz had such a fun time with Dia since I fostered Dia for a few weeks until my daughter could take the puppy. So Dia is a wonderful dog but high spirited would be a description for her. She is like a 5 year old on a candy bar diet and she is either 1000mph or napping. So it still rained a bit today so I have a lake in the front yard still and one in the back. I put the boys in the back yard (Blitz, Sarge and Willie) and they do what they need to do then come inside. I put Dia out front and after she went to the little girls room she ran for "Lake Front Yard". OMG this dog is nothing but full of life. I finally got her and cleaned her up and the boys came back in as clean as they were before going outside. Here are Dia and Blitz after going outside. Guess who had more fun.....

Logan

Picture.jpg

Dia

dia032012.jpg

Dia wearing her Daddy's hat who is a Lt in the US Army and is currently learning how to fly Helicopters. She looks better dry

diahat.jpg

Blitz, wow just realized Blitz will be two years old on June 6; where has the time gone?

blitz032012.jpg

Edited by guitarest

What a day today, a new addition to the family arrived today. Logan Angle @ 6lbs and 11oz born to my son Michael and his wife Sharleen. My daughter came down and spent the day with me also and treated me to not only lunch but dinner; and I got to watch her German Shepherd today. Her name is Dia and she is one year old on Saturday and is a solid 60lbs and looks so small next to Blitz with his 96lbs. We stayed inside all day unless the pups needed to relieve themselves. Blitz had such a fun time with Dia since I fostered Dia for a few weeks until my daughter could take the puppy. So Dia is a wonderful dog but high spirited would be a description for her. She is like a 5 year old on a candy bar diet and she is either 1000mph or napping. So it still rained a bit today so I have a lake in the front yard still and one in the back. I put the boys in the back yard (Blitz, Sarge and Willie) and they do what they need to do then come inside. I put Dia out front and after she went to the little girls room she ran for "Lake Front Yard". OMG this dog is nothing but full of life. I finally got her and cleaned her up and the boys came back in as clean as they were before going outside. Here are Dia and Blitz after going outside. Guess who had more fun.....

Logan

Picture.jpg

Dia

dia032012.jpg

Dia wearing her Daddy's hat who is a Lt in the US Army and is currently learning how to fly Helicopters. She looks better dry

diahat.jpg

Blitz, wow just realized Blitz will be two years old on June 6; where has the time gone?

blitz032012.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!!

Congratulations Grandpa Jocko! What a wonderful ending to your not-so-great week. I can't remember--do you have other grandchildren or is this your first?

Leo and I are (im)patiently awaiting our second grandchild in October. Grandson Zachary is almost six now and insists he will be getting a little brother while the rest of us are hoping for a girl.

Happy weekend to all and Bon Voyage once again to Roz and Master Horton!

Kathi

Congratulations Grandpa Jocko! What a wonderful ending to your not-so-great week. I can't remember--do you have other grandchildren or is this your first?

Leo and I are (im)patiently awaiting our second grandchild in October. Grandson Zachary is almost six now and insists he will be getting a little brother while the rest of us are hoping for a girl.

Happy weekend to all and Bon Voyage once again to Roz and Master Horton!

Kathi

Kathi; this is number two grandchild. Number one is already 8 years old and heading to forth grade.