Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Today I was at a mission for the Patriot Guard; we where honoring the first annual Medal of Honor day as approved by congress. So I have become a attraction every time Blitz and I show up because of the fact of him being such a beautiful dog. So many came over to say hi to us (mainly Blitz).

So while we were chatting the we were asked to hold up the flag line since it was windy today so Blitz and I went out there to hold a flag. Now talk about being confused; I was Army also but most of my time was Air Force, I was wearing a US Army shirt to show my support for my son in law and holding a US Marine Flag... Blitz sat next to me for about 15 minutes and I could tell he was getting bored but he dealt with it; then he did something embarrassing but quite funny. I felt his head rub against my left foot I looked down and he was laying down on his back with all legs up in the air. Now we were at the VA Cemetery for this event and there is my dog looking like he is dead.

After the event a man came up to me and asked if he could hug Blitz; I told him yes; and he did. After he was finished he shaked my hand and was very emotional. He began to tell me that he was a Military Dog Handler in Vietnam with the US Army Rangers and Blitz looked very much like his dog. That got me somewhat emotional; what a great club the Patriot Guard is.

Blitz and I today.

pgr_BandI.jpg

Edited by guitarest

Cooler is doing well at training camp. She has matched up with a potential recepeint and I hear she is doing "great". I'll keep everyone posted. She is 22 months old now. Very smart and confident. Fingers and paws crossed.

Good girl Cooler! I'm sure she'll do fantastic with all of her training from Mama Sunshine!

Cooler is doing well at training camp. She has matched up with a potential recepeint and I hear she is doing "great". I'll keep everyone posted. She is 22 months old now. Very smart and confident. Fingers and paws crossed.

We always knew she was destined for greatness! :D

Today I was at a mission for the Patriot Guard; we where honoring the first annual Medal of Honor day as approved by congress. So I have become a attraction every time Blitz and I show up because of the fact of him being such a beautiful dog. So many came over to say hi to us (mainly Blitz).

So while we were chatting the we were asked to hold up the flag line since it was windy today so Blitz and I went out there to hold a flag. Now talk about being confused; I was Army also but most of my time was Air Force, I was wearing a US Army shirt to show my support for my son in law and holding a US Marine Flag... Blitz sat next to me for about 15 minutes and I could tell he was getting bored but he dealt with it; then he did something embarrassing but quite funny. I felt his head rub against my left foot I looked down and he was laying down on his back with all legs up in the air. Now we were at the VA Cemetery for this event and there is my dog looking like he is dead.

After the event a man came up to me and asked if he could hug Blitz; I told him yes; and he did. After he was finished he shaked my hand and was very emotional. He began to tell me that he was a Military Dog Handler in Vietnam with the US Army Rangers and Blitz looked very much like his dog. That got me somewhat emotional; what a great club the Patriot Guard is.

Blitz and I today.

pgr_BandI.jpg

Jacko, Don't you sometimes feel invisible when you are with the dog? No one ever says hi to us, it's always the dog. We are used to it by now.

What a wonderful and emotional day you must have had. I think it's great that you show your support. As far as the upside down thing with Blitz, to funny! Wex practically lives on his back he's such a belly rub freak. Luckily he has not done it at a cemetery yet!!

1681312954_wexlerMar10023.jpg.fcd9324bc7cadbeb283e81131dedec7a.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg.07c2a14a883c135a63f738afef9e977b.jpg

I luv those photo's of Wex, they say when a dog does that it shows the ultimate trust he has for his master by exposing his soft underside.

Yeah Blitz is all into belly rubs for sure. Whats funny is all my dogs are defective in one way or another. I was pulled aside by the breeder before picking up Blitz as a puppy and the breeder told me that Blitz has a birth defect. So I was like really; I'm thinking some thing bad or even may become life threatening in a few years. So she was telling me she would deduct money from Blitz and then showed me his defect. Blitz has a outtie belly button. Its so cute and I felt like that scene in Marley and Me where they picked up their own Blue Light special discounted puppy. I saw that defect and knew right away he was the special dog sent to me by God. We have been a fantastic team since then. I by some of my supplies from Ray Allen K9 Equipment (rayallen.com) and today they asked if they could have my permission to use a picture of Blitz on their website or catalog. Of course I told them yes...

Yup my cute defective puppy going to be in a catalog (hopefully)

Edited by guitarest

I luv those photo's of Wex, they say when a dog does that it shows the ultimate trust he has for his master by exposing his soft underside.

Yeah Blitz is all into belly rubs for sure. Whats funny is all my dogs are defective in one way or another. I was pulled aside by the breeder before picking up Blitz as a puppy and the breeder told me that Blitz has a birth defect. So I was like really; I'm thinking some thing bad or even may become life threatening in a few years. So she was telling me she would deduct money from Blitz and then showed me his defect. Blitz has a outtie belly button. Its so cute and I felt like that scene in Marley and Me where they picked up their own Blue Light special discounted puppy. I saw that defect and knew right away he was the special dog sent to me by God. We have been a fantastic team since then. I by some of my supplies from Ray Allen K9 Equipment (rayallen.com) and today they asked if they could have my permission to use a picture of Blitz on their website or catalog. Of course I told them yes...

Yup my cute defective puppy going to be in a catalog (hopefully)

Yeah Blitz! He's going to be famous!

Camp is going well for Cooler. Her trainer says she is bonding well with her recepeint and that the love is shared both ways. "They adore her". Cooler is learning to take commands from a communication devise. She is picking it up quickly. Her recepeint is a young woman who is non verbal and a quadraplegic. I only hope Cooler can't pull over a power chair!!!

Camp is going well for Cooler. Her trainer says she is bonding well with her recepeint and that the love is shared both ways. "They adore her". Cooler is learning to take commands from a communication devise. She is picking it up quickly. Her recepeint is a young woman who is non verbal and a quadraplegic. I only hope Cooler can't pull over a power chair!!!

Thanks for the update; I logged in just to see how things are going....

My second foster has graduated and is on her way to sunny California!! Cooler has a wonderful recepeint and I had only tears of joy last night at her graduation.:D:D

That's terrific. You've done a wonderful job! You must be so proud of "your" Cooler.

Will you be having another dog to train (to love and care for)?

Celle

I've been working with another foster along with Cooler. I'll miss her, but it will be nice not to have to try to balance two dogs. Mackey is almost a year old. He is starting to master his advanced commands and loves to be around children. He is a golden retriever and sooooooooo sweet. I think that I will be able to follow Cooler's progress as her recepeint is active in disability awareness. Will see.

My second foster has graduated and is on her way to sunny California!! Cooler has a wonderful recepeint and I had only tears of joy last night at her graduation.:D:D

Way to go Sunshine and Cooler!!!! Another one gone off to California. What a coincidence both went to CA. I can't go to a graduation without crying. We will wait for Mackey next.

So what did everyone do for their weekend? My daughter took time out today away from school and her husband and decided to spend it with me. We went to the creek since it was like 80, or at least felt like it....

This is Blitz sitting and her shepherd doing the fancy sit; and my daughter in pink.

1medblitz.jpg

Blitz and Dia; Dia has the toy

0medblitz.jpg

After our October 6th cruise, I, too, will be looking at an Hawaiian cruise, in 2013. What month's are you thinking about and what cruiseline would you take?

Roz, I am looking at a Cruise Critic 15-day cruise to Hawaii on the Carnival Miracle Oct. 19, 2013. Maybe we'll sail together again?

Hi Everyone, we're home!!! We got home yesterday and had to entertain family last night so I couldn't write. All day today I was putting things away, cleaning and you know what happens when you're not home....so much to do when you get back.

First, congratulations to Guitarist on your newest grandson and to Sunshine on the Graduation of Cooler.

I love all the pictures.

I have to tell anyone who's questioning getting onboard the "new" Sapphire.....do it...do it....do it!!! She's absolutely gorgeous!

It took 30 minutes to board; we then dropped our bags, went to Horizon Court for lunch and then toured the Sapphire.

Of course, this was after Horton decided his fear of a new environment meant he would run out of the cabin, down the hall and head for the elevator. I have no idea what triggered his "fear & flight" response, other than the open cabin door. I have learned that calling his name or chasing him serves no purpose. Stay calm, walk slow, and grab his collar. In my head I wanted to strangle him but I knew that the other passengers would be doubting his certification if I acted badly myself.

I could only attribute his response to; first cruise, strange environment, lots of strangers, his youth and high spirit-thank God he NEVER did it again and, I'm finding out more and more about my boy and how he responds to new things.

My sister-in-laws Debi & Judi were going with me and I was surprised by my niece Michelle who came on with Judi. The four of us had a wonderful time. We joined the Princess Pop Choir and had a blast singing with about 15 other brave folks, in the Piazza at the end of the cruise.

Horton was such a gentleman and behaved so beautifully the rest of the cruise. If I was alone and asked him to sit by my chair, while I got up, I only had to use a simple command of "stay" and he would watch me but would not budge an inch [of course, I did tether the leash but he didn't know it!]

I only had one woman the entire cruise who said, "I'm not getting in the elevator with a dog!" My sister-in-law started to make a comment and I told her not to. It's amazing how defensive we want to be but must stay quiet because, honestly, some folks are scared to death of dogs and some are allergic or just don't like our fur partners. I'll never understand it but it's a reality.

I had no problems with Horton's paperwork getting onboard [Princess Access Dept. had sent the registration desk a copy that I had fax'd them and all was good.] We were asked to meet the Agricultural Inspector of Mexico when we docked in Ensenada, at 7:30am, in Vivaldi Restaurant. He inspected the paperwork, he examined Horton's fur, skin, eyes and paws. He asked me to give him a few commands; "stand", "sit", "down" and, we were excused.

Cindy, we took beautiful pictures of Horton on formal nights, in his tux that you sent him. I thought about you when I put it on him. Thank you, again.

We got off the ship at every dock, even though it rained and the tender was pitching and swaying, it didn't even phase big Horty, he loved it! I'm so glad that he loves the sea as much as I do.

For those of you who wonder about Mexico and strays. We saw absolutely none in Ensenada, at all.

Going under the Golden Gate Bridge was as big a thrill this time as it was the first time. It's so worth it to go up to deck 15 and watch it. It's breath taking!!!! And, it was cold and rainy but who cared!

The crew was outstanding and the food was some of the best I've ever had on any cruise. We ate dinners in the International Dining Room [early seating 5:30pm] and had other meals in practically every other venue daily. I have no complaints.

I missed you guys and hope that you each have a cruise in your future!!!!

Welcome Back Roz!!! :D Sounds like you had a great time. It's funny what makes these dog freak out sometimes. For Wex it was the noise of a city bus and he pulled John out of the chair. I think that was the second day we had him. I can just picture you chasing after Horty. I'm glad everything went well after that.

While I understand about people being scared and allergic, some are just ridiculous in their actions.

When we went to Mexico, I had to bring Wex down every port so they could see him. They barely even looked at him, nevermind touch him. All they cared about was his paperwork. And they had complaints about that but never made us stay onboard. Honduras was the only place that wanted money which is a ripoff in my opinion. 30 bucks for him to walk around the port? No thanks.

I hope I am going to see some of these pics of Horty in his tux.:confused:

How did Brenny do for the week? How was the reunion between the two when you got home?

Glad you had a great cruise!!!

Cindy

I want you to know that I've tried to download pictures three times.......NOTHING happens. I'm so backwards when it comes to putting pictures anywhere but in a frame or in my wallet......please forgive me guys!!!! I'm trying!

A short story about Horton's Happenings!!!!! I told him I would feed him dinner and then I got very busy at my desk, at work. He came up to me, while I was standing, poked me very hard in the back of my leg, I turned around and he was sitting with his leash in his mouth, eyes very wide and a sorryful, pleading look on his face and made me smile so big!!!!! He would have picked-up my chair and put it in his mouth, if he could. He was saying, "mom, mom, look I'm doing something useful....now will you feed me?"

He just wanted my attention and to remind me that I had promised him dinner 1/2 hour ago!!!!! I love this dog and his amazing personality!

Seriously Roz, you need to feed this boy!!! Does Aunty Sunshine need to come visit...please.....

Looking forward to hearing the details. So proud of "Cooler". She is living in Pasadena now. Another California Dog for me.:D

I know, I know! And, I wish you would come out here!

Pasadena is a really neat area of Los Angeles. I'm sure if you had anything to do with the upbringing of this dog she'll be perfect for her person.

I have just booked my first Transatlantic cruise....I am beyond excited!!! Leaves New Orleans on April 15 arrives in Barcelona on April 28. I did go ahead and request the wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation...just so that I don't hold up people trying to get on or off the ship.....I go back to the heart dr in July and if my heart hasn't regulated by then, could be facing more surgery....but until then, I intend to live my life every day doing what I want to do....

I have just booked my first Transatlantic cruise....I am beyond excited!!! Leaves New Orleans on April 15 arrives in Barcelona on April 28. I did go ahead and request the wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation...just so that I don't hold up people trying to get on or off the ship.....I go back to the heart dr in July and if my heart hasn't regulated by then, could be facing more surgery....but until then, I intend to live my life every day doing what I want to do....

Wow! How exciting, it sounds like a great cruise! Take care of yourself you have lots of good times ahead filled with cruising and fun.