Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Would anyone care to shed some light on this Celebrity board thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623482

Someone's relative thought they saw a person with a service cat on board, and some posters are getting all hot about possible allergies to cats.

I'm not an expert on the ADA, or on what service animals are allowed on cruise ships, but I am pretty certain that only service dogs are allowed - however, I lack any authority to say so.

Celle

Cars are not recognized as service animals under the ADA. In my program here in S Miss we do provide cats for those who rather have a cat for a emotional support animals, although its local and not supported under the law. So far the only 2 species that fall under the ADA are Dogs and miniature Horses.

Jocko's right. Only dogs and miniature horses are covered as service animals under the ADA. Emotional support animals can be any kind of animal but I can't imagine the ship would allow an emotional support animal on board.

It's interesting that most of these "animals on board" threads are started by someone who knows someone who thinks they saw something rather than someone with direct experience. Sometimes I think people just like to stir the pot. The "cat" could have been a stuffed animal. There are very realistic ones on the market and I've seen many cases where adults travel with a stuffed animal as a "mascot."

Jocko's right. Only dogs and miniature horses are covered as service animals under the ADA. Emotional support animals can be any kind of animal but I can't imagine the ship would allow an emotional support animal on board.

It's interesting that most of these "animals on board" threads are started by someone who knows someone who thinks they saw something rather than someone with direct experience. Sometimes I think people just like to stir the pot. The "cat" could have been a stuffed animal. There are very realistic ones on the market and I've seen many cases where adults travel with a stuffed animal as a "mascot."

That thread has cited links to some old threads where service cats were allowed on board cruise ships, particularly on Holland America. However, when I looked, those threads were all dated about 2009. There is one thread posted by someone who took a sleep-apnoea-alert Bengal cat on a cruise.

Whatever the situation was back in 2009, I'm pretty sure that no service cat will get on board now.

PS: I'm almost tempted to get a lifelike stuffed animal cat. But I think my two live cats would destroy it!

Edited by celle

That thread has cited links to some old threads where service cats were allowed on board cruise ships, particularly on Holland America. However, when I looked, those threads were all dated about 2009. There is one thread posted by someone who took a sleep-apnoea-alert Bengal cat on a cruise.

Whatever the situation was back in 2009, I'm pretty sure that no service cat will get on board now.

PS: I'm almost tempted to get a lifelike stuffed animal cat. But I think my two live cats would destroy it!

There was a trend some years ago to try to train Bengal cats as service animals as they seemed to respond well to food lures. Didn't really work out because, well, cats are cats. :)

Evenin' all:

Cars are not recognized as service animals under the ADA. In my program here in S Miss we do provide cats for those who rather have a cat for a emotional support animals, although its local and not supported under the law. So far the only 2 species that fall under the ADA are Dogs and miniature Horses.

Thank goodness "cars" are also not allowed as service animals. I mean, what category cabin would fit a car? None I could afford, I mean, Really?

Jocko: Just funning with ya. I needed a laugh in my life about right now...........

Evenin' all:

Thank goodness "cars" are also not allowed as service animals. I mean, what category cabin would fit a car? None I could afford, I mean, Really?

Jocko: Just funning with ya. I needed a laugh in my life about right now...........

LOL--I didn't even see that. I think I'd like it if my car serviced me rather than the other way around!

Good to "see" you Nancy. Sounds like things are a little hectic now--best wishes to you.

Kathi

Would anyone care to shed some light on this Celebrity board thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623482

Someone's relative thought they saw a person with a service cat on board, and some posters are getting all hot about possible allergies to cats.

I'm not an expert on the ADA, or on what service animals are allowed on cruise ships, but I am pretty certain that only service dogs are allowed - however, I lack any authority to say so.

Celle

You are correct. Dogs are the only Service Animals allowed at this time. Who knows if that will change.

There is no such thing as a "Service Cat" and again, "Emotional Support" animals do NOT have public access.

I'm not much of a cat person but I do respect their intelligence and ability to get their needs met!

Evenin' all:

There she is.....How are you? What's happening and where have you been?

You are correct. Dogs are the only Service Animals allowed at this time. Who knows if that will change.

There is no such thing as a "Service Cat" and again, "Emotional Support" animals do NOT have public access.

I'm not much of a cat person but I do respect their intelligence and ability to get their needs met!

This was just posted on that thread on the Celebrity board:

"I just came off the Infinity April 25th and yes there was a cat on board.

The first time I saw the cat was in the sail away pictures. The next time was at the Martini Bar socializing with all the ship guests.

This was a 16 year old black cat. So sweet.

The lady that had the cat was telling me it is a service animal for her. It helped to keep her calm.

This cat was the best guest on the ship....truth to be told I love animals more than a lot of people."

What the ****??

It is a lot of "work" to get service animals on board ships. I'm not sure why anyone would want to travel with an animal if it was not necessary. I frequently get "I didn't think about that" when I talk about how we need to think outside the box when we travel with Ollie.

I think this is the weekend for Sunshine's daughter's wedding. Please let us know how it's going.....I wish you lots of love and good wishes.

Congratulations to Miss Sunshine Junior and her groom! Best wishes for a wonderful life together.

Kathi

Evenin' all:

Yeah I just noticed that also, although my car does think its like a service animal with the Patriot Guard and GSD stickers on her and mine and Blitz's names on the doors...... lol Funny thing the spell check will grab misspelled words but not missed words or different words.... Silly Jocko, spell check is for adults....

What we do locally for Veterans with PTSD is we allow them to use their prescription to get a cat out of the shelter. All the same rules apply locally to qualify for the program although there is a release they sign that states this is a local program and does not allow them to take the cat to stores etc. While the ADA does not allow it either with emotional support animals; the local VA Hospital asked if we would bend our rules locally.

Edited by guitarest

Psychiatric Service Dogs have all the public access rights as do Hearing/Seeing/Service dogs. These dogs can mitigate a lot of social psychiatric issues for their person. We have to be careful not to call these extremely important working dogs "emotional support" dogs. One group who have found them invaluable are some of our soldiers returning home from service with PTSD symptomology and more.

I have NEVER seen a cat who effectively did the task as well as a dog or that was certified to do so.

I have a friend who has an autistic child who is kept calm by the presence of a lop-earred rabbit......should this rabbit have the same rights to enter into the public venue, to keep this child calm, as a hearing or seeing eye dog?

It is a lot of "work" to get service animals on board ships. I'm not sure why anyone would want to travel with an animal if it was not necessary. I frequently get "I didn't think about that" when I talk about how we need to think outside the box when we travel with Ollie.

I so agree with you. It's so much work to travel with my dog; from thinking about the water, the food, the toileting, the picking up and walking and brushing and protecting from strays to keeping away the fleas/ticks and heartworms, the getting up early to walking in the rain/fog and humidity. The questions, the answers, the gear, hot asphalt, the sandy beach, the tender boats, the floor space on the airplane and, where to potty oh, where to potty? The laws, the rules, the looks, the stares.....Who the heck needs that kind of attention and work????? :(:confused::rolleyes:

We have to be careful not to call these extremely important working dogs "emotional support" dogs. One group who have found them invaluable are some of our soldiers returning home from service with PTSD symptomology and more.

I agree 100% and this is why I do this.

Psychiatric Service Dogs have all the public access rights as do Hearing/Seeing/Service dogs. These dogs can mitigate a lot of social psychiatric issues for their person. We have to be careful not to call these extremely important working dogs "emotional support" dogs. One group who have found them invaluable are some of our soldiers returning home from service with PTSD symptomology and more.

I have NEVER seen a cat who effectively did the task as well as a dog or that was certified to do so.

I have a friend who has an autistic child who is kept calm by the presence of a lop-earred rabbit......should this rabbit have the same rights to enter into the public venue, to keep this child calm, as a hearing or seeing eye dog?

I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs.

However, it's sometimes very hard to know where the line is drawn between psychiatric service and emotional support. Glad I don't have to make that decision!

As for animals other than dogs, the newest ADA seems to have taken care of that.

I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs.

However, it's sometimes very hard to know where the line is drawn between psychiatric service and emotional support. Glad I don't have to make that decision!

As for animals other than dogs, the newest ADA seems to have taken care of that.

To watch a person actually climb the walls and flail-out their arms to strike at anything in their "space" who is kept from exhibiting this behavior because they have a highly trained Service Dog who knows exactly where to place itself to mitigate the persons symptoms, allowing this person to go out in public, is very different than a dog who is just "there" to be patted because its presence makes the person feel better. This is a perfect example of the difference between a "Psychiatric Service Dog and an Emotional Support Dog.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I just posted this on the Celebrity board.

A year or two back a woman with a "service cat" was going on a cruise to Mexico. There was a thread about it. Everyone was questioning her and she said it was for some sleep problem, the cat would wake her up or something like that. I'm not sure if it's the same woman, but I would bet on it. As of January 2012, only dogs are now recognized as service animals.

I know all about this woman and alot of people were giving her a hard time about it. I myself was finding it hard to believe. But I think she did go on the cruise at that time. I do not see how she got the cat on now with the new law going into effect. My guess is she booked before the law went into effect and they had to let her bring it.

I'm trying to catch up here. :eek: We have been so busy with CCI stuff, Red Sox, dog sitting, and weddings. We will be doing 3 games selling dog cookies this month, plus Johns nephew is graduating from the police academy next week, plus mothers day. Another wedding in June and then MAYBE taking care of a graduate service dog for a month. I guess this little boy is going on a trip across the country and because of his medical needs it will be to much to take the dog and care for him too. We are going to try for a week and if it goes ok, we will prob keep him for the month. He was raised by one of our puppy raisers and is related to Wex somehow. Personally I think we are nuts!! :D

I'm trying to catch up here. :eek: We have been so busy with CCI stuff, Red Sox, dog sitting, and weddings. We will be doing 3 games selling dog cookies this month, plus Johns nephew is graduating from the police academy next week, plus mothers day. Another wedding in June and then MAYBE taking care of a graduate service dog for a month. I guess this little boy is going on a trip across the country and because of his medical needs it will be to much to take the dog and care for him too. We are going to try for a week and if it goes ok, we will prob keep him for the month. He was raised by one of our puppy raisers and is related to Wex somehow. Personally I think we are nuts!! :D

Don't forget the CCI graduate workshop in early June and Kayak For A Cause in I think July. That's up your way. We may be going to both.

Did anyone read the story about the prisoner who claimed the automatic faucets in the prison gave him PTSD and is now on disability getting 700 a month??

Your joking right? Talk about gaming the system and so many of my brothers and sisters who ask for help from the VA with real needs are denied yet this fool gets this awarded.