Just returned from Adventure of the Seas

Hello, posting this as a way of easing the transition back to normal life. This is not really any kind of review, just some thoughts. I would take this cruise on this ship again instantly if I could.

We are just off Adventure of the Seas - San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Marten, St. Thomas. What a wonderful itinerary! One thing not to miss if you take this route is to get up around 5 am on the St. Lucia day. You will sail very close to the Pitons. The view is a breathtaking introduction to an incredibly beautiful island. The sun seems to come up almost behind the Pitons, and it's well worth getting up early for.

Our trip was everything we were looking forward to. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Got to go back to work to earn the money for the next one!

We are doing the Southern route on AOS on 8/19/07.

What cabin were in in?

Any tips or hints that may make things easier?

Did you have early or late dining, and what was your favorite meal?

I'm so excited. Can't wait to go.

I am not really used to using these boards, so I can't get the replies to go just right.

We were in 8281, overlooking the promonade. The only complaint I have about this cabin is there were two loveseats in front of the window, which was nice, but I wish they would remove one of them to make way for more drawer space. Drawer space was really short in this room. There were 3 metal shelves in the closet, but those tend to wrinkle your close much more.

As to rate, our TA booked my father in law and me in the same cabin and my mother in law and husband in another to take advantage of senior rates. I think we paid around 800 per person.

We did not bring any wine on board, but my husband did bring a fifth of vodka, in his checked luggage with no problem. I did hear several other people mention that their alcohol was confiscated when they tried to do this.

A couple of tips: This cruise sails so far south that the sun is very strong. We live in North Carolina, and the temperature was about the same there as here. But the sun was much stronger. I was already tanned, and normally wear an SPF 30 to the beach here, but it was no match for the sun there. So something loose and long sleeved, SPF higher than 30 and a good sun hat are musts.

I pack pretty light - I packed too light for this trip. It's hot, and if you do shore excursions at all you are going to sweat a lot and only get one wearing from a t-shirt. So pack lots of those.

We had early (main) dining, at the insistence of my in-laws. I never really got used to it. It gets dark early there - usually around 6:30 pm, so we never really saw the sunset because we were at dinner. Then you've eaten, and drunk wine, and it's dark outside, and it's too easy to fall asleep early! Next time, I'd do late seating.

All of the food in the dining room was good. Not four star, but definitely good. I particularly enjoyed the minestrone. I enjoyed it so much that I canceled my dinner order and asked the waiter to bring more minestrone. I found the Windjammer food perfectly satisfactory. Someone had mentioned in this forum that the RCL desserts were not spectacular, and I'd agree with that, but they were certainly edible.

Actually, my favorite food were the cookies you got in Windjammer. They were truly good.

I made my husband get up at 5 to take a picture of the Pitons - I stayed in bed and looked at the pictures later :)

Way to go! Any suggestions for convincing my wife to take the pictures?:)

I thought the excursions were a really good value.

We did snorkeling with the sea turtles in Barbados. The snorkeling was good, the sea turtles sometimes didn't cooperate, but I'd still do this excursion again.

My DH and I did a tour of St. Lucia riding around in the back of a LandRover. This tour included hiking down to a waterfall in the rain forest, and was much more strenuous than the write-up indicated. We were fine, but some older individuals (we are in our 50's and used to hiking) might find the hike too much.

I went snorkeling again in Antigua on one of the catamarrans. Loved every minute of it. The catamarran is right beside the ships dock, so it's very convenient. My husband also went diving in St. Thomas, and said that it wasn't the best diving experience he ever had, but it was pretty good.

We went to Orient Beach, and wish we could have stayed longer there. Like St. Lucia, it's a postcard in real life.

The kids (18, 19, 21) did a lot of snorkeling, sea kayaking, and one of the treetop adventures and loved all of it.

Thank you so much. So Tuesday (Barbados) and Thursday (Antigua) are the formal nights. It looks like this is a change as the only Compass I have seen from last year on this route they were Monday and Thursday.

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ship. We *love* the AOS.

When we were on the Barbados route, we got great pics of the Pitons as we left port. The captain even did a complete 360 so everyone on both sides had a good view. It was getting a little dark toward the end of the pics, but this may be a slightly more pleasant alternative for those who can't get up (or make the spouse get up) at 5 a.m.

Did this same route June 17 and it was great. The music and the people watching was really fun in front of the Duck and Dog. I also have to agree that getting up at 5:00 to see the Pitons was great. Glad you enjoyed your trip as we did too.

Rhonda

Isn't the night where you have the Captains reception usually the most formal? Which night would you say was the most formal out of the two? Thanks!:)

I would say definitely Monday night was the most formal. That was when I saw long gowns. I noticed though, even Friday and Saturday night that some people were really dressing up. Then again, even on formal nights, there was a woman at the dining table next to ours who was wearing shorts and a tank top. Formal night seems to be changing somewhat.

Laura, we'll be doing the same itinerary next month...can't wait!

Did you get "port burn out" at all? Our family is very active, but DS 21 and DD 17 like time to do nothing, as well. Did you do an excursion at every port? And did you book through the ship or with and independant tour company?

Also, I'm trying to figure out which night to book Portofinos. Is the AOS menu the same as this one from the Freedom?

http://www.thepreismans.com/Freedom_menus.htm

Thanks so much for all your information!:)

Archived