Type of fat/oil used on RC????

No, no one knows this ;), but there is a special department at RC to handle dietary requests and needs:

Q: What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

A: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as: Food allergies

Gluten-free

Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic)

Low-fat

Low-sodium

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Just send an e-mail that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to the relevant address below:

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

(Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 60 days in advance in order to be accommodated.)

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less than 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Please note that baby food and infant formula are not provided on board.

RCCL is proud to have announced that they are now trans fat free:

Royal Caribbean Eliminates Trans-Fats in Cuisine

Published on: January 4, 2007

Royal Caribbean International, joining a growing trend, will become the first cruise line to make the move toward removing trans fat from its menus beginning March 1, 2007, culminating in a fully trans-fat-free menu fleetwide by the end of this year. Effective immediately, trans-fat-free frying oil will replace the old pour-and-fry oil originally used in food preparation, and entirely-new, trans-fat-free menu options will be introduced to Royal Caribbean’s menus. Royal Caribbean has long accommodated requests from guests with special dietary requirements, from those looking to maintain a low-fat intake to others who face serious allergies. “Vegetable oils that have undergone hydrogenation result in a type of fat that doctors have linked to serious health risks including diabetes, high blood pressure and increased cholesterol levels,” said Michael Bayley, senior vice president, Total Guest Satisfaction. “If we can offer guests a healthier serving of the foods they love by switching to trans-fat-free oils, while maintaining the same level of satisfaction, why wouldn’t we make the switch?” The trans-fat-free oil was put to the test onboard Navigator of the Seas last November. The conclusion was that, not only is the trans-fat-free oil healthier for guests, but it provides a better tasting product. Royal Caribbean is working jointly with all onboard food and beverage partners as well as suppliers to ensure that a full transition to a trans-fat-free menu will take place fleetwide by the end of this year.

since each ship uses canola or sunflower oil, but some also use others like peanut that may be cheaper at a specific port. So give them a call to find out what oil is being used on your sailing, giving booking # to them.

But they are trans fat free as I printed the press release.

Guess Merion Mom didn't tell you what oil either, to see if you are allergic, but we try to help.

If they have peanut allergies it is important to know before hand. Transfat free is just todays latest fear push by the fear folks. It may have some real implications, but I doubt if they are anywhere near what is being reported.

jc

If they have peanut allergies it is important to know before hand. Transfat free is just todays latest fear push by the fear folks. It may have some real implications, but I doubt if they are anywhere near what is being reported.

jc

Not to hijak this thread much, and I agree with you in many ways (we can all remember the OMG DON'T EAT EGGS phase), trans-fats are completely unnecessary additives that are proven to lead to heart disease, there's a very real link there and they're entirely unnecessary. So, it's not just the fear folks, although I agree entirely that dietary issues seem to be fear driven in many cases. :)

Not to hijak this thread much, and I agree with you in many ways (we can all remember the OMG DON'T EAT EGGS phase), trans-fats are completely unnecessary additives that are proven to lead to heart disease, there's a very real link there and they're entirely unnecessary. So, it's not just the fear folks, although I agree entirely that dietary issues seem to be fear driven in many cases. :)

I, personally, avoid hydrogenated oils and shortening, but I am not sure how anyone is going to be able to make a pie or other baked goods without them. O, I remember, lard. I will go get that bacon grease! Yum. Basically lets outlaw pie! No doubt hydrogenated stuff is less desireable, but so is the replacement of lard.:D :p

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/health/nutrition/10cons.html?ex=1318132800&en=fa98790aa0b14213&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

jc

jc

Totally agree with you on this statement.....I like a little of the real stuff....butter, lard (just kiddin - but the fries used to taste much better when they did use it), sugar.....that sunflower and canola oil makes everything taste real nasty to me so I'm off ALL the fried foods in restaraunts plus ALL chips:eek: :eek: ....have learned to like the Baked Lays chips:) ........

How's the MINI doing?

Just a change to render the already relatively bland and tasteless food even MORE tasteless, LOL. Another step in the right direction for the food police!:eek:

Oh brother ain't that the truth:eek: :eek: ...makes all those yummy desserts just worthless.....

Totally agree with you on this statement.....I like a little of the real stuff....butter, lard (just kiddin - but the fries used to taste much better when they did use it), sugar.....that sunflower and canola oil makes everything taste real nasty to me so I'm off ALL the fried foods in restaraunts plus ALL chips..have learned to like the Baked Lays chips ........

How's the MINI doing?

My avatar is there just for you. I normally don't drive the MINI when rain is in the forecast, but today, I took the dogs in the old go to the lake van to get them groomed, and the damned thing started overheating (needs a new radiator), so at lunch the DW picked me up and the dogs and I drove the MINI back to work, and, of course, there are suppossed to be thunderstorms this afternoon like yesterday. :( Since I am 48 and my doctor has told me to lose weight or else, I have dropped 25 pounds in the last couple of months and I am now just above 170. I am not getting to eat anything remotely bad for me. So, I avoid fried anything, and sugar, and basically anything fun. I am so craving Andy's Frozen Custard (if you haven't had it you are missing out). I do the cooking so I can control the ingredients and I cook with mostly olive oil and I realize that hydrogenated foods are bad, but then so is lard and you really need to use a hardened oil when cooking certain items. I just think that the health nuts are trying to make everything about life that is enjoyable a sin. Can't eat meat because it causes global warming (O excuse me the proper expression is climate change), can't eat fish because it has mercury, can't eat corn because we need it for gasoline for cars, can't eat eggs because Peta says that chickens are raised in inhumane cages and on and on it goes. I think I will go to Krispy Kreme after work and buy a dozen donuts and throw them away just to help them stay in business! I don't dare go to Andy's as I would eat the ice cream!:D :eek:

jc

Congratulations for the weight loss and keep up the good work:) ......just for my and DH we've found it's usually the quantity that is eaten that causes the real problem......we're a county of "all you can eat" buffets....and our portions are usually large.....we tend to "biggie" size everything:eek: .. then sit around in front of the old idiot box......no sir, not for me.....please give me a little of the real stuff and I'm good to go.....walk every morning at least 1.5 miles and again in the evening......

Run after 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter 3 days a week and I'm all set...........

When it comes to the MINI getting dirty my DH loves it cause it gives him just another reason to wash it.....I live with a neat nic....boy am I ever blessed:D :D ....

Congratulations for the weight loss and keep up the good work:) ......just for my and DH we've found it's usually the quantity that is eaten that causes the real problem......we're a county of "all you can eat" buffets....and our portions are usually large.....we tend to "biggie" size everything:eek: .. then sit around in front of the old idiot box......no sir, not for me.....please give me a little of the real stuff and I'm good to go.....walk every morning at least 1.5 miles and again in the evening......

Run after 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter 3 days a week and I'm all set...........

When it comes to the MINI getting dirty my DH loves it cause it gives him just another reason to wash it.....I live with a neat nic....boy am I ever blessed:D :D ....

I have to wash my MINI, and I don't have the time! I have lost weight primarily by eating less. I agree with your assessment. My mother is 82 walks 2 to 5 miles every morning. Eats everything with a little bacon grease and sugar in it. Loves to cook good old comfort foods, and would not know how to make something healthy to eat if her life depended on it. We all look forward to holiday meals. In the summer she wants to make me biscuits and gravy or homemade yeast cinnamon rolls. My sister is mad at me cause I told mother that I wasn't going to eat that stuff for a while. So my sister doesn't get it either! :D

jc

I am very fond of that organization, too, Jim. However, there is another organization with a similar acronym that while it has a wonderful goal. They have methods that are incompatible with life in the real world and are a danger to all of us. That one I am not so fond of!:D

jc

Just a side note. If you do email for allergies, Kosher, or any other special food requests, and they process it, you need to check with the Maitre' D before dinner if possible to work out the logistics.

I, personally, avoid hydrogenated oils and shortening, but I am not sure how anyone is going to be able to make a pie or other baked goods without them. O, I remember, lard. I will go get that bacon grease! Yum. Basically lets outlaw pie! No doubt hydrogenated stuff is less desireable, but so is the replacement of lard.:D :p

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/health/nutrition/10cons.html?ex=1318132800&en=fa98790aa0b14213&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

jc

Totally OT, but there are transfat free shortenings. At least one has been around for more than a decade. I know this because I switched to it 10 years ago, and it is much better than Crisco et al ever were. Transfats are one of the few things where the "food fear" people are correct. Transfats can provoke symptoms in those with auto-immune diseases, so we've been advised to avoid them for years. The whole "non-fat everything" craze was absurd--We need fat in our diets. The extreme of avoiding entire food groups is silly (unless you have health/allergy reasons, of course). And if I want butter on my toast or potato, it's going to be butter--Not some butter-substitute substance or "diet butter"; give me a break, diet butter? When I have salad dressing, I want the fully fatted real deal, thank you. If I am going to eat chocolate, it's going to be really good chocolate, not low-calorie pseudo chocolate. What's wrong with simply eating everything in moderation? (Oh wait, that's too simple. The diet "gurus" couldn't sell people millions of books if everyone just eat sensibly with the occassional splurge.)

Anyway, there's no way my DH would ever let them outlaw pie! He'd stage a revolution.:D

beachchick

What's wrong with simply eating everything in moderation? (Oh wait, that's too simple. The diet "gurus" couldn't sell people millions of books if everyone just eat sensibly with the occassional splurge.)

beachchick

GREAT post, beachchick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree completely. "fat-free cheese"??? May as well eat the wrapper it came in. Just eat a LITTLE piece of REAL cheese!

hey Beachchick

Can you tell me what the brand of this shortening is? I would like to buy some and give it a try.

thanks

jc

Absolutely. It's called Smart Balance. The flavor is really "clean" (if that makes sense) and the texture it gives baked goods is excellent. In fact, the first time I used it, I didn't tell my DH that I had switched. He said, "These cookies are even better than usual. What's different?" It can be hard to find as not all stores carry it. I hope that it will be more readily available as stores realize that customers are looking for something like it. (I think Smart Balance makes other things too.)

beachchick

GREAT post, beachchick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree completely. "fat-free cheese"??? May as well eat the wrapper it came in. Just eat a LITTLE piece of REAL cheese!

:D Exactly. It's funny too because I do eat cheese almost every day. A piece of real cheese or cheese in something else. I usually have a small chocolate or other sweet too. My triglycerides are well under 100. My mother asked me, "How can that be? You eat cheese every day!" I pointed out that I eat a portion of really good cheese, not a big old block of it.

(Of course, I do realize that health issues, such as hereditary heart disease or post heart attack, can require a change in eating habits. For those who absolutely must avoid some things, the "diet" items can be a substitute.)

beachchick

Brenda, that doesn't say what kind of oil it IS, just that it is a transfat-free variety. If she has allergies, she needs to know the SOURCE of the oil.
The OP said it was not due to allergies.

Archived