NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Mine didn't post on my January statement. I'm still hoping for my first 500 certificate. If the new worldpoints is as bas as they say it is.. Sayonara!!

So can someone handy to this thread sum up the best comparative credit card values out there to switch to?:D

Lots of useful tips if you look through this thread!

I made sure I got to 500 points by my mid-December statement date because I feared there would be problems and fighting if I relied on points between that date and year-end. I may just go ahead and call and request my 500 point certificate now rather than have them lose them somehow or convert them to Worldpoints! :eek:

BobK/Orlando

Are you counting on your late December purchases to get to the next $500 certificate? Your points have likely been miscalculated, and I strongly suggest that you call Bank of America to fix it, before you are issued worthless upgrade certificates.

My wife and I each have NCL credit cards. On both our accounts, we are counting on our end-of-December purchases to get us to the next $500 certificates. I checked both of our newest statements online, and neither one was showing any point totals at all.

I called Bank of America and spoke to a representative. All she could see was that the points were "transferred somewhere" (presumably they were "transferred" off of the account for redemption, in order to zero the point totals for the new rewards program). I asked her how many points were transferred; she responded that the total was 1354. I did some quick math: my previous point total was 1280, and I spent $7400 at the end of December (payment on an NCL cruise), so this means that my purchases in late December only earned 1%, instead of the 4%. I explained the problem and she said she would send it over to the "Points Department". This department does not take calls, either from customers or internally; they only communicate with the front-line CSRs via email, and customers via postal mail. She said they will take a look at my account within 2 business days (they do not work weekends, and Monday is a holiday, so this means the earliest they will have an answer for me is Thursday morning). I had her look at my wife's NCL card as well, and we found the same problem: late December purchases only earned 1 point per dollar spent. I asked her to send a request to the points department for that account as well. I will provide an update here once I get an answer from them.

I would strongly encourage those in a similar situation to contact Bank of America and ask to have the Points Department look into your account as well. If certificates are issued based on incorrect totals, I strongly suspect Bank of America's "solution" will be to simply send you more lousy upgrade certificates instead of the $500 certificate you deserve.

Edited by DaveCruises

I made sure I got to 500 points by my mid-December statement date because I feared there would be problems and fighting if I relied on points between that date and year-end. I may just go ahead and call and request my 500 point certificate now rather than have them lose them somehow or convert them to Worldpoints! :eek:

BobK/Orlando

Did you try to get your certs sent to you yet? I looked on my new statement, and there are no points noted there at all, even though as of my last statement I had over 500 in each of my two accounts. It seems like those points just disappeared altogether, as nobody seems to have received them.

I thought about calling in december to have the certificates sent out, but wanted the extra expiration time allotted for the ones that are supposedly to be sent out in January. I sure hope good ol' Bank of America isn't going to screw us all to the wall. I don't have a real warm fuzzy feeling about this.

I posted this in mid December. Seems like an even better idea now, except I would add "5. Call BOA when you get your January statement and have them note the proper Compass Points on your account":

Okay, just in case there is a problem with points earned the second half of December, and we all end up with some USELESS $100 cabin upgrade certificates, let's be prepared!

Everyone should:

1. Copy the FAQs posted on the NCL web site: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...passRewardsFAQ

2. Photo copy your January statement when it comes

3. Draw a line under the last December 31 posting on that photocopy

4. Add up the dollars posted in December on that bill and calculate the point earned during that time period (multiply that dollar amount by .03)

When the certificates arrive in January, if they have not sent out the correct amount, write letters to BOA and NCL with this info. Since the info above is posted on an NCL site, if it is incorrect then they should, with the proof mentioned above, issue a $500 cruise credit good for two years, in exhange for the useless $100 cabin upgrade certificates. I don't think they want to lose their most loyal customs because they misinformed people on their web site!

Hopefully, none of that will be necessary, and we will get the correct number of certificates!

I called BoA and was told that the points from my December 4 statement were transferred over for rewards, but not those from Decmeber 4-31 (the rep could not see them) which would give me another $500 certificate. A request to correct was made with the rewards dept. and I can call back on Wednesday to get an update. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now (not much other choice) that the points and reward certificates will be correct when they mail them....if it doesn't work out, then I put on my attorney hat and get more aggressive...

I can not see the FAQ mentioned in the post above...

Edited by DavidMcD

OK, I made my calls. My first call I thought the person was transferring me to someone who knew something but no...I was transferred to NCL. My second attempt I spoke with another person and she read through different notes and said they can't see the points. She did agree that we should be getting compass points that were posted through Dec 31. At least that was promising. I asked her to put a note in my account as to what I believe the points should add up to and she said she would. When I asked her if there was a points dept. she said there was a World Points dept. Who know??

Some of the notes she was reading me said we would get a letter showing the points we earned and the cert(s) probably mid Feb. I quess now it is a wait and see game.

We got a letter today, basically exalting the new card and all it's great benefits (LOL)

It did say we would be receiving our certificates and we must book a cruise before 12/09 and use it before 12/10. It also said that we should just continue to use our NCL card as usual and all new points would go into the new program. What a bunch of crap. anyone hoping that NCL would somehow upgrade this card for better features, was wrong. it's the same compass rewards program as everyone else got.

I'll be signing up for a new card just to get the free 5000 points and use that $50.00 OBC on my next cruise. They file them away in the draw with all the other useless cards.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ

Everyone should have received a letter with this information as well. It was dated January 5

We have not received the letter that you are mentioned, who is it from NCL or BOA? As a matter of fact, we have not received any notifications to date, from BOA or NCL regarding the Compass Rewards Program ending.

We have not received the letter that you are mentioned, who is it from NCL or BOA? As a matter of fact, we have not received any notifications to date, from BOA or NCL regarding the Compass Rewards Program ending.

Well, I no longer have the envelope, and the letterhead has both NCL and BOA logo at the top of the letters, so I am not totally sure where the letter originated from but I think it was BOA. I received one dated October 1, and then another one on January 5. The October 1 letter stated that transactions made after the Decmber 2008 statement closing date would not earn points towards the Compass Rewards program. The letter dated January 5 states that we will receive Compass Reward Certificates based on the Compass Reward point balance on December 31, which is in line with what is posted on the FAQ website that NCL has posted. The first letter also has a note at the bottom that states "DURING THIS CONVERSION PERIOD,(WORLD) POINTS EARNED 1/1/09 THROUGH 2/28/09 MAY NOT BE REFLECTED IN YOUR POINTS BALANCE TOTAL UNTIL YOUR MARCH 2009 STATEMENT. That is fine, because most of us could really care less about the World Points, however I thought the January statement should reflect the final Compass Reward Points final total. You know what they say about assume........... So, since many people on the boards have no total listed on their January statement, I called BOA and told them to make a note on my account that my total Compass Rewards points as of December 31, 2008 should be 1008 (and that I earned a total of 115 points the last two weeks of December), so I am due 2 $500 Compass Reward Certificates. I have no way of knowing if this will help, and my closing date is sometime this weekend so I doubt I can get anyone to tell me if the points are showing up someplace until Tuesday. My feeling is, it is much better to have it straight before they mail out the certificates, than to have to try to correct THEIR errors later..........

I received a letter today from NCL and BofA dated 1/5/09. It details the NEW Freestyle rewards program.

-Earn 1 WorldPoints point for every $1 in net retail purchases.

- Earn 2 WorldPoints points for every $1 in purchases made directly through NCL.

-Use your NCL MasterCard credit card or redeem your points for cruise specials that will only be available to NCL credit cardholders, including new itineraries, last minute offers and the new F3 ship debuting in 2010.

-Redeem your points for other NCL rewards, such as cruises, stateroom upgrades, cruise discounts, on-board credits & onboard experiences.

It goes on to say you can also redeem your points for travel, merchandise or cash back.

Anyway, there is a FAQ on the back that says, "While we convert your program, Bank of America customer service associates will be unable to provide you with new NCL WorldPoints balance until the end of your January statement cycle. Additionally, NCL WorldPoints rewards earned in January may not be reflected in your new point balance until the end of your Feb. statement cycle."

I am wondering if maybe this is why some of the BofA cust. svce. reps are confused when we call? Maybe they think we are asking for points balances on the NEW program instead of the old Compass Rewards? I just really don't understand why the points balances are so hard to get right now before those final certs. are issued.

We received our letters today (we have 2 cards). They are dated January 5th and say the same things that are in previous posts. The envelope shows the return address as Bank of America. The postmark on the front is 34.6 cents postage says it is mailed from zip code 19713 (Newark,) Delaware on Jan 14th, BUT on the back is an additional postmark for 7.4 cents and that says zip code 19605 (Reading, Penn) on Jan 15th. On the front by the postmark it says in the same red as the postmark "D/S AUTH 2E-83 READING PA".

TMI, I know, but I thought this might help explain to others that haven't gotten the letters where it appears they are coming from.

I'm with everybody else - SHOW ME THE CERTIFICATES!!

I never received a letter from anyone about the rewards point changes. Yesterday though I did get my Jan billing statement. The new Rewards points were posted for purchases made from Jan 1. But the Compass points were missing from all my purchases made from Dec 11 (first day of new billing statement) to Dec 31! I called the number on the back of the Mastercard, who switched me to NCL, who switched me back to Mastercard, who switched me back to NCL! The second NCL agent conferenced in BofA and then the two of us went back and forth with Mcard for about an hour!!!! Bottom line is that no one at the bank will confirm exactly how many missing points I have or if they will be reflected on the certificates we will hopefully receive. Of course I can calculate it myself but who knows if I will get the right amount and if I do not will Mastercard/BofA/NCL even help me? There was also plenty of misinformation from both Mcard and NCL during this hour and a half ordeal. One bright note-the NCL agent Nicole was very dedicated and tried her best to get to the bottom of all this. I praised her to her supervisor. She deserves a raise cause I know I will not be the last irate customer calling!

That said, we are looking forward to our second cruise on the Gem, this time out of NYC March 14 to the Bahamas.:)

Still Loyal to NCL (so far, anyway)

NCL Gem Southern Caribbean

NCL Dawn Eastern Caribbean, Cruise to Nowhere

NCL Spirit Cruise to Nowhere

NCL Majesty Bermuda

:confused: Has anyone received their compass points yet from their Dec statement? Has anyone requested them? Just wondering! Won't be satisfied until they are in my hands! Then I will cancel the BOA card!

I tried to get the Dec Compass Points statement all day Saturday but to no avail. If anyone is able to get this, please let me know how.