NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Question: I have the older style compass rewards certificates in $500 increments.

I am looking at booking the 7-Day Western Mediterranean Round-trip Barcelona and I will be using NCL air and NCL 1 day pre-cruise hotel.

I have been getting conflicting stories from the NCL reps. Some say the Compass rewards is only good for the actual cruise and taxes. Others say it can be used towards the entire amount including cruise, taxes, air and hotel if all is booked with NCL which it will be.

Has anyone actually applied their certificates towards air and hotel successfully? Anyone been denied?

I have enough Compass rewards to pay the entire $4000 trip cost, I just do not want getting stuck with the airfare and hotel after I book this cruise for next month.

Also: Does anyone have the phone number for the actual deptartment that processes the old style Compass rewards certificates?

Thanks!

Edited by CasualObserver

The reps don't seem to be the most reliable sources of knowledge. I booked a BA on the Jade and was told I wouldn't be able to use one of my Compas Rewards upgrade along with my $500 certificates because I had booked was highest cabin category. I included an upgrade certificate and they applied it so the invoiced amount was at the BB category price. I would contact the Payment Application Department (sorry don't know the phone number) which is where the certificates get sent (make copies and use registered mail) to confirm but I believe the $500 dollar ones can be used as cash against anything on your NCL invoice.

Edited by glomeister

I have not redeemed any of the new style certificates but in the good old days, I have used certificates for hotel and cruise. Was told it could be applied to air also but always used f/f miles for the air.

The number I have used in the past was the payment dept at 866-625-9177 and Wendy Burns used to be the certificate guru. Now, that's been 7 or 8 months ago so who knows by now.

I have found my NCL rep to be extraordinarily well informed about points, so you might see if Vicky Evans at 877-436-9722 #7054 can help you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Magnolia

I received two letters today from Bank of America (one for each NCL card using the old compass points) stating that if your certificate numbers end in FC, they can be redeemed online. Only those certificates issued when the program ended last year can be used this way. Has anyone else received this letter? I'm in the middle of fixing supper, or I'd type more info, but thought I'd throw this info out there!

Thanks!

I received one of those letters today as well. I am going to call my TA tomorrow and see what she says. Since I can't make any payments thru my reservation because I have a TA, I am hesitant to follow the instructions in the letter in case they won't accept it for the same reason. My thought is for her to send the email, but either way, this certainly looks like an easier way then mailing and worrying about if they were received!

I didn't get one (or six, in my case) but I have no outstanding certifictes - all of mine have been applied. I do have some points ready for redemption but I'm waiting to do all my accounts at once for the Baltic cruise.

This will certainly be a lot easier, let's just hope they don't find a way to screw this up.

Like I said before, it's not an option for all compass point certificate redemption, just those that end in FC (which stands for Final Certificate). Our final payment is due September 20th, and I had planned on mailing in our certs on August 20th, but I will try this instead since it says we will hear back from NCL within 5 business days of sending our email.

I am wondering about the first paragraph of the letter, which states verbatim/formatted:

"As you are aware, the
NCL Compass Rewards
program ("Program") concluded on December 31, 2008. In January 2009, Bank of America customers participating in the Program were issued their final certificate(s) with certificate numbers ending in "FC" ("Final Certificate"). When processing the Final Certificates, an error occurred that caused some of the Final Certificates to be printed with experation dates other than January 31, 2010.
All of the Final Certificates regardless of the date which appears on the Final Certificate expire on January 31, 2010.
All cruises which are booked using the Final Certificate must be booked by January 31, 2010 and must sail by January 31, 2011."

We've never booked a cruise using a certificate. Like most people, we've always used them at the time of final payment, but it certainly sounds like the certificates have to be submitted by January 31, 2010, even if the cruise does not take place until January 2011. I know from reading posts over the past year we, as well as others, were under the impression that our certificates would be good at the time of payment for a January 2011 cruise, as long as they were applied toward a cruise booked by January 31, 2010. Looking back now I wonder why I never questioned that line of thinking before.

The letter is from Bank of America, BTW. Like my husband said, it makes good business sense for BOA to do this as it will get this system cleared and out of their hands as of February 1, 2010. I'm afraid there are going to be many unhappy cruisers to deal with, though!

What happens to the Compass Reward points that I have already earned?

You will receive Compass Reward Certificates by February, 2009, based on your Compass Rewards point balance on December 31, 2008. You may redeem these certificates for either a cruise discount or stateroom upgrade as you have done in the past. Simply book your cruise before the certificates expire; your travel date may occur after the expiration date but before January 31, 2011.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ

Like I said before, it's not an option for all compass point certificate redemption, just those that end in FC (which stands for Final Certificate). Our final payment is due September 20th, and I had planned on mailing in our certs on August 20th, but I will try this instead since it says we will hear back from NCL within 5 business days of sending our email.

I am wondering about the first paragraph of the letter, which states verbatim/formatted:

"As you are aware, the
NCL Compass Rewards
program ("Program") concluded on December 31, 2008. In January 2009, Bank of America customers participating in the Program were issued their final certificate(s) with certificate numbers ending in "FC" ("Final Certificate"). When processing the Final Certificates, an error occurred that caused some of the Final Certificates to be printed with experation dates other than January 31, 2010.
All of the Final Certificates regardless of the date which appears on the Final Certificate expire on January 31, 2010.
All cruises which are booked using the Final Certificate must be booked by January 31, 2010 and must sail by January 31, 2011."

We've never booked a cruise using a certificate. Like most people, we've always used them at the time of final payment, but it certainly sounds like the certificates have to be submitted by January 31, 2010, even if the cruise does not take place until January 2011. I know from reading posts over the past year we, as well as others, were under the impression that our certificates would be good at the time of payment for a January 2011 cruise, as long as they were applied toward a cruise booked by January 31, 2010. Looking back now I wonder why I never questioned that line of thinking before.

The letter is from Bank of America, BTW. Like my husband said, it makes good business sense for BOA to do this as it will get this system cleared and out of their hands as of February 1, 2010. I'm afraid there are going to be many unhappy cruisers to deal with, though!

What happens to the Compass Reward points that I have already earned?

You will receive Compass Reward Certificates by February, 2009, based on your Compass Rewards point balance on December 31, 2008. You may redeem these certificates for either a cruise discount or stateroom upgrade as you have done in the past. Simply book your cruise before the certificates expire; your travel date may occur after the expiration date but before January 31, 2011.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ

Yes, I agree that's what it says on NCL website. In fact, I have a printout of that in case it disappeared online. However, the letter received today states "All of the Final Certificates regardless of the date which appears on the Final Certificate expire on January 31, 2010. " BofA bolded that, not me, and it can certainly be interpreted differently that NCL's website.

Yes, I agree that's what it says on NCL website. In fact, I have a printout of that in case it disappeared online. However, the letter received today states "All of the Final Certificates regardless of the date which appears on the Final Certificate expire on January 31, 2010. " BofA bolded that, not me, and it can certainly be interpreted differently that NCL's website.

It restated in the letter received today as my certificates have always stated that they have to be APPLIED by January 2010 to a SAILING completed by January 2011. So you can book a January 2011 cruise but the certificates have to be applied by January 2010. It is nice though that you can apply the cash equivalent ones by email request and no longer have to do the registered mail thing.

Edited by glomeister

It restated in the letter received today as my certificates have always stated that they have to be APPLIED by January 2010 to a SAILING completed by January 2011. So you can book a January 2011 cruise but the certificates have to be applied by January 2010. It is nice though that you can apply the cash equivalent ones by email request and no longer have to do the registered mail thing.

I believe we are on the same page! I just wanted to alert people of what could happen. On September 30, 2008 I posted "I have to wonder if NCL will decide to cancel this deal someday because it's such a great deal! I also wonder if the current financial crisis will affect BOA in a bad way." On October 3rd someone received their letter stating the program was coming to an end. My gut tells me to be safe and send in my remaining coupons prior to January 31, 2010, so that's what I plan on doing. :)

I believe we are on the same page! I just wanted to alert people of what could happen. On September 30, 2008 I posted "I have to wonder if NCL will decide to cancel this deal someday because it's such a great deal! I also wonder if the current financial crisis will affect BOA in a bad way." On October 3rd someone received their letter stating the program was coming to an end. My gut tells me to be safe and send in my remaining coupons prior to January 31, 2010, so that's what I plan on doing. :)

Absolutely send them in now (or more conveniently now email the numbers if they are cash equivalent certificates). NCL has to have received them and applied them to payment of a booked cruise before the end of January 2010. The cruise sailing though can be anytime through end of January 2011. If you don't have anything booked yet to apply them, you might want to start planning really soon. I used 5 of my cash equivalents and an upgrade for the 12/8 Jade. Will probably take my other four upgrades along and see how many I can use in booking the Epic onboard.

I just emailed the info for three of our remaining certificates to the email address in the letters received. They say we should hear something from NCL within five business days, so I'll be checking our "balance due" daily. Will keep you updated on how this works out.

I use a travel agent to book my cruise. I want it that way; I know there are plenty of folk who do not.

My travel agent does not know how to get me 2 points for every dollar spent that is part of the credit card deal. She said no one at her large agency knows. They called NCL and NCL did not know how I could book through an agent and get 2 points for every dollar.

I called NCL myself. They said that there is nothing that they can do and that I should call NCL.

Does anyone know where I can get an answer.

To clarify my last post a bit. The reverse of the certificate said that it was an onboard or upgrade, but also said that it defaulted to whatever was on the front. The fron said upgrade.

I question why it said on the reverse onboard credit or upgrade. If the program was for only upgrades, then why did the reverse even mention onboard credits.

I have cruised quite a bit with NCL and they are....err were my cruise line of choide.

IF YOU WORK FOR NCL AND READ THIS. YOU BETTER GET AN OFFICE AT NCL WHERE THERE IS AT LEAST ONE PERSON WHO CAN UNDERSTAND AND GET PEOPLE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I FEEL LIKE NCL DOES NOT CARE AT ALL.

I use a travel agent to book my cruise. I want it that way; I know there are plenty of folk who do not.

My travel agent does not know how to get me 2 points for every dollar spent that is part of the credit card deal. She said no one at her large agency knows. They called NCL and NCL did not know how I could book through an agent and get 2 points for every dollar.

I called NCL myself. They said that there is nothing that they can do and that I should call NCL.

I'm not thrilled with the change in the new program, but I still haven't found a rewards program I prefer, so I'm still using my NCL cards.

NCL doesn't administer the credit card program, so you need to contact Bank of America if you have questions on how your points are being calculated. I've never had any trouble at all with the "bonus" points on either the new or old programs. They show up on your statement as bonus points in the section where your points balance is communicated.

As an example, right underneath where my charges for the month are listed, my statement reads:

Norwegian Cruise Line Worldpoints MC

1,603 MONTHLY EARNINGS

0 BONUS POINTS

604 NCL BONUS POINTS

6,046 TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE

The charge for NCL is included in my monthly earnings points for 604 points, and then the "2 points for every dollar" is listed as NCL bonus points. You won't see them until the month in which your NCL charge shows up on your statement.

If you spend $ at NCL your points are automatically doubled. The payment you make for your downpayment, any other payment, and final payment should show as going to NCL NOT to your travel agency. (That is a warning indicator if it is showing a charge to your travel agency. That is how those couple of agencies in New Jersey absconded with cruise funds just before they went out of business, leaving the cruisers with no reservations since payment had not been made. Just be careful. More than likely your travel agent will do it the right way and make the charge to NCL and wait for NCL to pay her the commission)

If you use your NCL card while on board, all your charges will be to NCL and therefore be doubled (shore excursions, specialty restaurants, service fees, drinks, bingo, spa etc).

My card is expiring next month so I was sent a regular World's Points card with a different account number but the top of the paper the cards are attached to has NCL logo. Why do credit card companies change account numbers for no good reason? I never stopped some payments that are made automatically each month because it is such a pain...now they won't get paid unless I call them. :eek: Did anyone else receive replacements without the NCL logo?

Wo! That can be a real pain if you have automatic payments set up on that card. It is fairly simple to change an expiration date, but when account number changes there are certain vendors that take months to update things, even if you change it with them right away. Also, it also makes returning things for credit back to the card impossible most places. They will only give store credit, without the card with same number on it. I found this out when we had to cancel a card that was being used fraudulently and they had to issue me a new account number. Hope this isn't part of the "new and improved" card....

My card is expiring next month so I was sent a regular World's Points card with a different account number but the top of the paper the cards are attached to has NCL logo. Why do credit card companies change account numbers for no good reason? I never stopped some payments that are made automatically each month because it is such a pain...now they won't get paid unless I call them. :eek: Did anyone else receive replacements without the NCL logo?