NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Lyman: Please don't open another can of worms:eek:

It is option #1. However, you continue to see the previous year's 1000 points in addition to the new points you earn each month. Let's say your earned your allowed 1000 in your previous year. That is not related at all to the first month of the next year. Done deal. 1000 points no matter how many you earned month to month has nothing to do with this money in your "bank". Next month (first of the new year) if you earn 250, you will see 1,250 available on your statement whether you earned $1 in the same month of the previous year.

However, (and I will be sorry I mentioned this) if you happen to come across the 36 month expiration date , they will drop off month by month in the amount you earned them in month 36, 35, 34 etc.

IF ANYONE ever finds someone at BOA who knows what they are doing, please, please give me their name. I have spoken to five different people in the past three weeks and I have not gotten the same answer twice.:(

rpbcouple -

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't want to open a separate can of worms! :eek:

I recall a posting a few months ago that mentioned the rolling year for the 1000 point maximum and have wondered if this if really the case. (yes, I suppose I am *that* obsessed!)

I remember the card fine print was clear* about the rolling drop off at 36 months, but it wasn't clear about the 1000 point - although, I agree that the balance being reset at the 1 year point seems the easiest to manage.

Thanks again!

*as clear as fine print can be, at least! :rolleyes:

I knew I'd find the people with the answers. I did notice how some things that are simple and uncomplicated to one might give rise to questions from another (okay, quick, did I mention that i'm a lawyer? )

Example: "I don't think its that complicated. Simply put your can earn 1000 points in any statement year."

And the next thing I wondered was, "what is a 'statement year'"? But that's me being a lawyer and having terms defined is what I do all day long. The answer y'all did an excellent job of providing is 1) yes there is still a 1,000 limit to what you can earn in a year; and 2) the year is not a calendar year, but a rolling year from month #1 (since the points will start evaporating after 36 months).

So I'm just about there, with about 4 months left in year #1, and while the second NCL card is an intriguing possibility -- we did the same with Disney -- I just don't want to open another credit card, I'll just accumulate Hilton Points or maybe some Disney points toward use at WDW for DW and DS (I enjoy their cruises, but not the throngs at WDW) or maybe some Costco rebate points, as those are my other cards. Until February, when I'll take the NCL MC out of its holster and start firing again. I'm targeting Xmas week 2010, so maybe I can get a $3,000 discount by then.

My parents are going on a NCL cruise next month. I paid for their cruise on my NCL CC and they paid me back the money so I got the bonus points. :D

If I purchase OBC certificates for them (with my NCL card), can they use it towards their service charges? I did this on their last cruise to the Baltics. But on that cruise, I knew they would be doing excursions from the ship. This time they will explore Bermuda on their own and won't charge any excursions to the ship. So, their ship board charges will mainly be the service charges only. They don't drink, buy pictures, and may only eat at the fee restaurants once.

If they can use a purchased OBC towards the service charges, what are the service charges per person again? I think $10/day per person? So, for a 7 night cruise, $140 for 2 passengers.

If not, no biggie since it will only be a $100 OBC and 4 points on the card. :p

Lyman: Please don't open another can of worms:eek:

It is option #1. However, you continue to see the previous year's 1000 points in addition to the new points you earn each month. Let's say your earned your allowed 1000 in your previous year. That is not related at all to the first month of the next year. Done deal. 1000 points no matter how many you earned month to month has nothing to do with this money in your "bank". Next month (first of the new year) if you earn 250, you will see 1,250 available on your statement whether you earned $1 in the same month of the previous year.

Option #1 is actually wrong:

My three cards are all on a rolling twelve month period. Only 1,000 points can be earned over 12 months. I have 'lost' points because not enough points dropped off from 13 months ago. That's why I got my second and third cards!

I know that sounds very confusing.

If anyone is really interested, I posted at page 26 (July 16-17) to explain it in more detail. I highly recommend using a spreadsheet to track the earnings (you CANNOT) just rely on the totals shown on your statements.

Good luck!!

I have 'lost' points because not enough points dropped off from 13 months ago.

SMEYER: Do you want to jump in here because I give up? :confused:

I do have a spreadsheet but I only find it necessary to track one year at a time. Never do I look back at certain months of a previous year. I have never lost a point because of points I earned 13 months ago or any points for that matter. I'm just glad when I track my points and collect my certificates ($6500 over the past 3-4 years) I don't run into this problem.

SMEYER: Do you want to jump in here because I give up? :confused:

I do have a spreadsheet but I only find it necessary to track one year at a time. Never do I look back at certain months of a previous year. I have never lost a point because of points I earned 13 months ago or any points for that matter. I'm just glad when I track my points and collect my certificates ($6500 over the past 3-4 years) I don't run into this problem.

I have never lost a point but there have been points I haven't earned because of either a $250 limit or becoming up to the $1000. but the amount I haven't earned is probably less than $100. and you don't lose points if you haven't earned $500 at the end of a year it just roles over. I use my points shortly after they are earned and have about 4 free(or almost free) trips to prove it. BTW if you are near the 36 months losing and have $500 points you can always request a cert and you then have a year from the date of the cert to TAKE a cruise.....

Option #1 is actually wrong:

My three cards are all on a rolling twelve month period. Only 1,000 points can be earned over 12 months. I have 'lost' points because not enough points dropped off from 13 months ago. That's why I got my second and third cards!

I know that sounds very confusing.

If anyone is really interested, I posted at page 26 (July 16-17) to explain it in more detail. I highly recommend using a spreadsheet to track the earnings (you CANNOT) just rely on the totals shown on your statements.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info! I didn't recall exactly where your previous posting was, but did remember it several pages ago... Thanks for clarifying that you learned this by example (to save me from having to do the same! :) )

I use a spreadsheet to track the past 12 months, and make sure the points I'm currently earning don't go over the 1000 point limit for the past 12 months (regardless of which month I started using the card). This has worked out well so far, but one card is close to bumping into the 1000 point limit... which is why card #2 is currently active and card #1 is only used for 'fixed' payments automatically charged (utilities, cable, etc) to it.

Regardless of how it's all done behind the scenes, this is a great program and I thank those that started this thread and those who have continued to provide great information.

With the credit card helping pay for cruises, I only wish there was a card that earned extra vacation days from work!

I was unclear in my reply about lost points. Here's what happened:

month 1 26 points earned

month 2 250 points

month 3 200 points

month 4 175 points

month 5 150 points

month 6 195 points

month 7 4 points earned (spent enough to get 50 points but hit the 1,000 ceiling)

months 8-12 did not use the card due to 1,000 already earned

month 13 26 points earned (spent enough to get 200 points but only 26 were available). That is when I got my 2nd card! :)

Clear as mud?

I just want to share my personal experience, since I too have submitted over $6,000 in Compass Points.

Clear as mud?

Believe it or not, that is does clear up the issue (but, being a frequent Bermuda cruiser, I perfer the question "Clear as a dark and stormy?")!

Thanks for the real-life situation - my spreadsheet should prove helpful in the coming months for cards 1 and 2! :-)

Happy Friday!

:D

Hi, Once I get about 900 points, I make sure that I occasionally check my account at BOA's web site. Say my last statement shows I have 940 points, so if my current online total goes over $2,000, I start losing points. By keeping an eye on my current balance, I know when to stop using my primary active card and switch over to the currently inactive one. This all assumes that the 1,000 points are earned in less than 12 months. Being retired, it usually takes us about 10-11 months to hit the barrier. The only problem with the NCL card is that it keeps us cruising only NCL, but it keeps us cruising !

Race you to the buffet line, Howard

I have a NCL MC and have used it for 2 cruises so far, saving for my third, DH finally realized what a deal it was when we spent 8 days on the SPIRIT last year in a balcony cabin for less then $200 cash!

So now he has 2 NCL MC's and we are saving for Europe.

My question is about the gas surcharge. Is that included when you get the fare? Can I use my points certificates toward it? I know the points I used last year also covered the port charges since they were on the fare bill.

DH thought we could use points toward on ship expenses but I'm almost sure you can't, right? The tip is an "on ship" expense so that has to be paid with a credit card? But the fuel charge? :confused:

I have a NCL MC and have used it for 2 cruises so far, saving for my third, DH finally realized what a deal it was when we spent 8 days on the SPIRIT last year in a balcony cabin for less then $200 cash!

So now he has 2 NCL MC's and we are saving for Europe.

My question is about the gas surcharge. Is that included when you get the fare? Can I use my points certificates toward it? I know the points I used last year also covered the port charges since they were on the fare bill.

DH thought we could use points toward on ship expenses but I'm almost sure you can't, right? The tip is an "on ship" expense so that has to be paid with a credit card? But the fuel charge? :confused:

yes the fuel surcharge is included as part of your billed cruise fare and it can be used with a cert.

Anything billed on the ship you can't use it for(like service charges)

I was unclear in my reply about lost points. Here's what happened:

month 1 26 points earned

month 2 250 points

month 3 200 points

month 4 175 points

month 5 150 points

month 6 195 points

month 7 4 points earned (spent enough to get 50 points but hit the 1,000 ceiling)

months 8-12 did not use the card due to 1,000 already earned

month 13 26 points earned (spent enough to get 200 points but only 26 were available). That is when I got my 2nd card! :)

Clear as mud?

I just want to share my personal experience, since I too have submitted over $6,000 in Compass Points.

Sorry, I am still confused. I don't understand why in month 13 you were prevented from getting all of the points you earned? What does "only 26 were available" mean? I have 1,000 pts in my first 12 months. I am now just starting my 13th month. Won't any points I earn in this 13th month just add onto my 1,000? so I will have for example 1,250?

New to this.

Do you lose points or just not earn after your hit 1000 in 12 months?

Also, the offer today is to sign up and get 25 points free with first qualifying purchase. I would have to read the fine print on "qualifying" but is that a deal. I am cruising in December and it's all paid for but would use the card for my end of cruise tab. Just wondering if signing up on the day of the cruise gives me something better?

Icewarrior: As you can see from my previous posts, I'm with you. I still do not understand what month 13 has to do with anything. I am now into month 13 on card #2 and the only limitation I will have is the monthly maximum of 250 points.

Wiki: Qualifying purchase means any purchase $5, 10 whatever from a vendor. It means a purchase a not a transfer, advance, check they send you, etc.

NOTE: Please be aware the anniversary date is from the time of your first USE/PURCHASE of your credit card. It is not the date they issued it or you applied for it.

are the way we go, so a minimum of $500 off a cruise. If we get 2 for a cruise then we get $1000 off. So we never lose points.

We very seldom get over $1000 as I am booking cruises no earlier than 2 months before to get the best price. And with only 90 day warranty, no additional year for 1-5 year warranty as AMEX gives, we never use MC for our major purchases. They know but do not wnat to give better perks.

Sorry, I am still confused. I don't understand why in month 13 you were prevented from getting all of the points you earned? What does "only 26 were available" mean? I have 1,000 pts in my first 12 months. I am now just starting my 13th month. Won't any points I earn in this 13th month just add onto my 1,000? so I will have for example 1,250?

Not to speak for JLynch, (please correct me if I'm wrong) but (s)he explained it as I understood it...

In month 13, you add the previous 11 months (months 2-12) of points. In that case, I believe it was 974 (with 26 points earned in month 1). Since you can't go over 1000 points in the preceeding 12 months, you only can earn 26 point in month 13.

Following, this, in month 14, you add months 3-13 (the previous 11 months) and get 750. Thus, in month 14, you can earn 250 points before you reach 1000 points (in the preceeding 12 months). It seems that, to see how many points you can earn (up to 250) in any given month, you look to the preceeding 11 months. This way, any sequential 12 month period will never have over 1000 points earned.

To back up, you are correct, in that the points you earn in month 13 will add on to the 1000 points you already have. However, with the 1000 point maximum (in the preceeding 12 months), you can only have 1026 points in month 13.

Hope this helps...

New to this.

Do you lose points or just not earn after your hit 1000 in 12 months?

Also, the offer today is to sign up and get 25 points free with first qualifying purchase. I would have to read the fine print on "qualifying" but is that a deal. I am cruising in December and it's all paid for but would use the card for my end of cruise tab. Just wondering if signing up on the day of the cruise gives me something better?

no you don't lose points you just don't earn them. You don't begin "losing" points until the points are more than 36 months old. That is you have 36 months from the date you earn them to use them or they begin dropping off.

Since I use them shortly after I earn the 500, its not an issue for me.

Lyman I don't believe you are correct. One the anniversary date is passed you can earn 1000 new points again. Its not a rolling 12 months. Its 12 months from the anniversary date and than the ability to earn 1000 starts a new. the 13 month is the statement that you anniversary date will pass. after all 12 complete months have to pass from that date and it won't fall until the 13 statement anyway.

Lynch and Lyman: It may be a great explanation but I believe you are wrong. I'll say my anniversary is Feb. Say in 2004, I earn 250 points each month in Feb. March, April, and May. I can't earn any more points the rest of the year. Then comes 2005 (I have 1000 points looking at me, calling my name to book a cruise) and again I earn 250 in Feb, March, April, May and earn nothing the rest of the year again. Then comes 2006 (I have 2,000 points waiting) and I earn 83 points a month every month for twelve months. It doesn't matter at what rate you earned them the previous year. At the end of my three years, I have 3,000 points to use.

However, in Feb, 2007 if I did not cash in my 3,000 points, 250 will drop off from the Feb. 2004 statement because of the 36 month rule.

The only really sad part of this entire thread is that NO ONE at BOA seems to be very experienced in these type of scenarios. Every time I call them, I get different answers.

I swear this will be the last time I will post on this particular subject;)

The only really sad part of this entire thread is that NO ONE at BOA seems to be very experienced in these type of scenarios. Every time I call them, I get different answers.

I swear this will be the last time I will post on this particular subject;)

I agree with you there! Both on BOA giving different answers and being the last post (of mine) on this obtuse subject!

I'm going to try not to worry about it much and just get a third card and keep them from being close to the annual limit. I can't speak first-hand about how the 1000 point "annual" limit works, as I won't get to my 13th month on card 1 for another few months and on card 2 for a few months after that... (**and I promise not to report my obscure findings either!!)

All I can say is it's a great program and I still find myself thinking, "that's another $xx towards the next cruise" when I use the card! :D

Sorry to add a new questions to the thread, but I am new to all this and do not see the exact question I am looking for going back.

My parents have an BOA NCL card and have been accumulating points for years (hopefully not too many have expired). I have an upcoming NCL cruise in Jan. with a final payment due in October. If they add me onto their account, and I then have a card will I be able to use their points toward my cruise?

If so.... what can I do with say 1000 points? I am in a category J inside room now, can I upgrade to an outside room for the same price? Or can I upgrade through my TA and just use a discount off the higher price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Sorry to add a new questions to the thread, but I am new to all this and do not see the exact question I am looking for going back.

My parents have an BOA NCL card and have been accumulating points for years (hopefully not too many have expired). I have an upcoming NCL cruise in Jan. with a final payment due in October. If they add me onto their account, and I then have a card will I be able to use their points toward my cruise?

If so.... what can I do with say 1000 points? I am in a category J inside room now, can I upgrade to an outside room for the same price? Or can I upgrade through my TA and just use a discount off the higher price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Not sure about the authorized user addition (and if AU could use the cardholder's points), but...

with 1000 points, best thing to spend them on is a $1,000 credit. Upgrades aren't generally thought of as the best bang for the buck.