NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I chose the Citibank cash card and just got my first check for 63.61 for two months use. It pays 1.25% points per dollar (for the 1st year) and if you do a lot of online shopping through their bonus center (over 400 merchants) those points add up as well. The Schwab card looks good too because it pays 2 points for every dollar spent but the points are harder to retrieve. My citicard points came as a check with the bill. I didn't have to do a single thing. https://www.bonuscashcenter.citicards.com/view-all-retailers.aspx You can check out the bonus center here and the address for the card is citicards.com (I think).

I'm still real confused on what card to get now. So all the regular bills are hitting my NCL card still and all other stuff I'm putting on my Disney card for now.

I really need to find a good card to give me some good points I can use.

I don't want hotel points as I wouldn't use them, air seems to be a PIA I have a AMEX Delta Skymiles and enough points for a R/T flight but can never get it when I need it.

I liked the NCL compass awards as it grew fast and was easy to do.

I have no clus what I should do. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I think I will go with Amex Blue Cash, and because Amex is not taken anywhere, Capital One No Hassle MilesSM Ultra for Professionals, which has a small fee, but seems to be well worth it. See below, as "miles" can be used for any type of travel, cash applied to balance, or many other rewards.

Capital One No Hassle MilesSM Ultra for Professionals

Annual fee-$39

2 miles per $1 spent on purchases

Miles Redemption Info for Travel:

Simply add two zeros to the price of your travel purchase, then trade in that number of miles to pay for it.

Examples: $180 flight = 18,000 miles

$100 hotel room = 10,000 miles

Travel easy with No Hassle MilesSM

Book your travel any way you choose

Use your card for airfare, cruise tickets, hotel stays, or rental cars from ANY website or travel agency.

Redeem your miles

Redeem your miles online or by phone to get reimbursed for your purchase.

Receive a statement credit

Your account will be credited for the purchase, and you will see that credit on your statement.

The choice is yours. Redeem your miles for:

Travel: Enjoy using your miles for flights, hotel stays, cruises, car rentals, and all other travel purchases.

Merchandise: Get name-brand electronics, sporting equipment, and more.

Charitable Donations: Donate your miles—it always feels good to help.

Statement Credit: You can also use your miles to pay for other non-travel purchases you've made with your Capital One® Card.

so you can flu any airline. Delta fowled up our vacation to our Maui timeshare when they refused us to board the plane since we used Skymiles & could fly if we paid. So I phoned AMEX NYC to the CEO who was really ticked at they way Delta was taking their $47 mil & not giving the customers service. So he got us flyinh FC & free rental since ours was canceled by Delta who booked it. He then made us BLUE & we fly CO, Virgin Atlantic & could take SWA if we want.

I'm still real confused on what card to get now. So all the regular bills are hitting my NCL card still and all other stuff I'm putting on my Disney card for now.

I really need to find a good card to give me some good points I can use.

I don't want hotel points as I wouldn't use them, air seems to be a PIA I have a AMEX Delta Skymiles and enough points for a R/T flight but can never get it when I need it.

I liked the NCL compass awards as it grew fast and was easy to do.

I have no clus what I should do. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Got my corrected points last night and my $500 certificate - thanks everyone. But this "certificate" does not look like the last one I got. I haven't examined it fully, read all the details on the back, but the front is mostly blank except for info at the top. Does anyone know about this?

Just me but I would put $1500 on this cruise and use the other $1000 for another cruise. That's a lot off.

That is definitely what we will do if we don't use them for this cruise. I just thought if we could use them towards airfare, etc., that we might as well. It's just that with the loss of the Compass Points program we will me more likely to shop around and try other cruise lines.

I can see not using them for excursions, as those could get canceled if a port is missed.

Got my corrected points last night and my $500 certificate - thanks everyone. But this "certificate" does not look like the last one I got. I haven't examined it fully, read all the details on the back, but the front is mostly blank except for info at the top. Does anyone know about this?

Received my $500 certificate and a worthless $100 upgrade certificate last month. I had not used my card since mid-November. My certificates were printed just like you are describing.

We continued to use DH's card (in fact still are since we haven't decided as yet which other card out there is best for us).

DH received 1 $100 upgrade certificate on his card at the same time I got my certificates. He finally received 3 $100 upgrade certificates and a $500 certificate in the mail yesterday.

That puts us even on the # and $@ of certificates we were expecting.

Dianne

Yes, that is what mine look like this time also, not like the previous certificates. I've read others have the same.

Update!

I was one of the people that got the incorrect certificates for upgrades etc.

Today i got my $500 certificate in the mail. So i'm all squared away. BOfA is good in my book.

To those of you who are still waiting give it a few more days and if by end of next week you dont get anything then you should call to make sure your on the list of people that they are working on.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the great info on the board.

Hope everyone gets what they are suppose to.

So in theory, if you are charging 1000 dollars a month on the card, how long until you have enough for a free cruise for two people?

The program is now over, but in answer to your question:

$1000 month = 30 points/month= 360 points in a year.

However, they were not redeemable for money off until you earned certificates in 500 point increments. Any amount under 500 was awarded in the form of upgrade certificates which had little or no real value.

Well, I looked up the original program rules (dated 2002):

Miscellaneous Charges-Miscellaneous charges, including but not limited to beverages and meals; government fees and taxes; taxis and other groung transportation; items of a personal nature; excess baggage charges; gratuities; insurance and any carrier ammnities are not eligible for offset with the use of Points or Certificates, unless specifically included in the cost of the travel arrangements as quoted by the cruise line operator.

I would take this to mean that if the air/transfer/hotel package is part the NCL package, it should qualify. If the air or other things were booked independently by you or a travel agent, then they would not qualify. Verify through NCL, and get someone's full name. I usually book directly with NCL when I have used these, and then deal with a cruise consultant at NCL so there is no go-between agent.......

..when you send in the $500 certificates. what do you reference? Confirmation number, sailing date, ship, all of the above? How far in advance can you send them? I want to use it for a November 2009 repo cruise that already is holding my cabin with a $250 cruise rewards deposit. Thanks for your valuable info... Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone....GO NAVY!!! later all... Marla

All of the above.

I would not send them out this soon.... put them in a safe place and send them out about a month before final payment is due. If for some reason you have to change your travel plans, these certificates could be used for a 2010 cruise - you never know what can happen between now and November!

We went to our travel agent today to book our cruise. The $500 certificate was not accepted as payment, but the travel agent said she would mail the certificate in to NCL for us and that we should eventually receive a $500 refund to our credit card. We had to pay the total price of the cruise. We have our fingers crossed hoping that we will get the promised $500.

The original terms state:

If you are booking your cruise through a travel agency, the Certificate must be presented directly to the travel agent at the time you tender final payment for the cruise.

as to whether or not you can combine the upgrade certificates with the $500 vouchers. Well, my NCL PCC says "yes, you can use both. Just mail them with the reservation number to the address on the back of the certificate to have them applied."

The original terms say you cannot, but maybe they are allowing this, since the program is ending.........

The original terms state:

If you are booking your cruise through a travel agency, the Certificate must be presented directly to the travel agent at the time you tender final payment for the cruise.

I booked our August 09 cruise in October of 08 and made final payment in November of 08 just so we could take advantage of the compass reward 4 points for NCL purchases before the end of the year. Our cruise is completely paid off now, however I just mailed $2000 in certificates directly to NCL rather than our TA. Hopefully this should not be a problem as all the TA would do is mail them to NCL on our behalf. NCL has our credit card info, so I'm hoping that there should be no problem with us sending in the certificates after making the final payment and also sending to NCL rather than the TA. I'll keep everyone posted as to when I get the $2000 credited.

Has anyone actually used one of the 'worthless' upgrade certificates? If I were to use one, how does it work?

Let's say I book a Cat K room and then mail in the certificate. Will I be bumped up one category to Cat J, but only have to pay the cat K price? Or do I book the Cat J room, then once I send in the certificate, receive the difference back between the cost of the J room and the cost of the K?

Now, I have to call BOA and get them to correct the World Points balance for my January statement, in case I ever decide to use the points/card.....

Happy sailing!

c breeze --

I just got my Feb. statement and they fixed (within 10 points) the incorrect January statement point balance automatically. I would suggesting until your Feb statement is ready and see if they add up!

Good luck!

Well, I looked up the original program rules (dated 2002):

Miscellaneous Charges-Miscellaneous charges, including but not limited to beverages and meals; government fees and taxes; taxis and other groung transportation; items of a personal nature; excess baggage charges; gratuities; insurance and any carrier ammnities are not eligible for offset with the use of Points or Certificates, unless specifically included in the cost of the travel arrangements as quoted by the cruise line operator.

I would take this to mean that if the air/transfer/hotel package is part the NCL package, it should qualify. If the air or other things were booked independently by you or a travel agent, then they would not qualify. Verify through NCL, and get someone's full name. I usually book directly with NCL when I have used these, and then deal with a cruise consultant at NCL so there is no go-between agent.......

That's exactly what I was looking for, but having a hard time finding. I makes sense. We have always booked directly through NCL as well. I think we'll hold off until Southwest posts their flights for December, then call and see what NCL has to offer.

Thanks again!

...Does anyone know exactly what compass rewards can be used for? We have our cabin booked. If we were to add air, insurance, transfers, pre-cruise hotel, romance/spa package, excursions - anything - prior to when our final payment is due, would that be covered as well? Is there a list somewhere that I've overlooked? We have $2500 in certs, with a balance of just over $1500.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I don't mean to slight any of the appenders on this forum because I've gotten a lot of good information here, but in regard what you can use the money for, your best bet is to call them. They have been changing the program, in our favor, w/o sending out new literature. For example, I believe it says it is valid toward final payment and not deposits. When I last used certificates, they refunded my deposit because my certificates were more than my final payment.

I would take the printed material as the baseline, but not the absolute.

I booked our August 09 cruise in October of 08 and made final payment in November of 08 just so we could take advantage of the compass reward 4 points for NCL purchases before the end of the year. Our cruise is completely paid off now, however I just mailed $2000 in certificates directly to NCL rather than our TA. Hopefully this should not be a problem as all the TA would do is mail them to NCL on our behalf. NCL has our credit card info, so I'm hoping that there should be no problem with us sending in the certificates after making the final payment and also sending to NCL rather than the TA. I'll keep everyone posted as to when I get the $2000 credited.

In the past before December we had gotten a $500 certificate and we sent it to NCL directly not to our ta. We filled out the entire thing even putting our Lattitudes past passenger # and all. We sent it certified mail etc. It got there and they applied it to the correct booking and all since we had given them all the info on it. Once processed they credited my credit card since the final due date was up and they had not processed it in time. So my ta charged me full due price and ncl credited back my card.

My correct certificates arrived yesterday. I originally got a 100 point upgrade certificate when I should have received two $500 certificates and one upgrade. I also received three phone calls -- one from Latitudes, one from the CEO's office at BOA (I had sent an e-mail) and one in response to my letter to NC. Glad that I have the correct amount of certificates for the final payment in 2 weeks. Our family of six is now all set for our Bermuda cruise in June.:)

hey crafts15mj, question for you. i have called ncl twice this week and was told i would receive my correct certs by today, fri the 20th. i didn't. now when i call them they tell me all i can do is send another letter to that bofa address in charlotte. i have already done that but didn't get a response. would you be so kind as to give me the email address you sent to the chairman's office where you got a call back? i feel kinda stuck now that i sent the letter and still have nothing. thanks and if anyone else has a suggestion, i'd be happy to hear it.

Is this still the best Address to send in the $500 off certificates

Attn: Accounting

Norwegian Cruise Lines

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

Has anyone sent to this address via priority mail.

Thanks

Howard

The back of my certificates read:

Remit certificates to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

P. O. Box 025403

Miami, FL 33102-5403

You might want to call if you're not sure..

Jackie

hey crafts15mj, question for you. i have called ncl twice this week and was told i would receive my correct certs by today, fri the 20th. i didn't. now when i call them they tell me all i can do is send another letter to that bofa address in charlotte. i have already done that but didn't get a response. would you be so kind as to give me the email address you sent to the chairman's office where you got a call back? i feel kinda stuck now that i sent the letter and still have nothing. thanks and if anyone else has a suggestion, i'd be happy to hear it.

The CEO's name is Kenneth D. Lewis and his e-mail address is ken.d.lewis@bankofamerica.com. It took about two weeks for someone to get back to me but they did respond. I was really worried because our final payment was coming up. Luckily, we got our certificates in time.