NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

For the poster who wanted to give his son his upgrade certificates, this is what I believe you will need to do in order to do this...

Have him added as an authorized user to your card. My DH and I both had cards, and once when I was going on a girls cruise, I accidentally cashed out the points on the account that had HIS name first, rather than my own. Even though I was on the account, it was in his name... so I had to contact BoA, and they sent me a letter verifying that I was an authorized user on that account.

We "gave" my mom several thousand dollars in GM Card money several years ago, and in order for her to use them, we had to call the GM card people and have them add her as an authorized user on our account. They sent a card to our address with her name on it, and we never even activated it.

My certificates arrived today. I ended Dec. with about 750 in points. I received one $500 certificate and three upgrade (100 pts) certificates, so no problems for me.

Looking forward to using the $500 discount this fall....combine that with my Platinum NCL Latitudes level and, all in all, should be a pretty nice cruise! ;)

I got the wrong certificate AGAIN today! I did not call but I will call them on Monday maybe. What a pain. I should have gotten 2 $500 certificates and 1 upgrade certificate. I received 1 upgrade certificate 2 times!

Hmmm... I just remembered that I had a second NCL card that I have not used in a few years... It had fewer that 100 points on it MAYBE that is what the upgrade certificate is for. Hopefuly the $500 ones will come this week!

DH and I received our Compass Certificates yesterday and they were correct. However, we received 6 $100 upgrade certificates. Is there a difference between given a $500 certificate and 1 $100 upgrade certificate instead? Are they both good for upgrades only or can they be used for a discounted cruise. Thanks!:)

OK, we are getting posts about recent arrivals of certificates, both correct and incorrect. However, what I, and I assume most others want to know - Has anyone that originally got the incorrect certificates, now gotten a second mailing of corrected certificates on the same account, as BOA has promised ?????? If, so: 1. are they correct this time? 2. are you a person that complained by phone or mail? Thanks!

Not yet here... We received the correct amount for a card that we weren't sent the wrong amount. On the card that they sent the wrong amount originally, we haven't heard anything yet.

DH and I received our Compass Certificates yesterday and they were correct. However, we received 6 $100 upgrade certificates. Is there a difference between given a $500 certificate and 1 $100 upgrade certificate instead? Are they both good for upgrades only or can they be used for a discounted cruise. Thanks!:)

You should call them right away! you should have received one $500

certificate (worth $500 off the cruise price) and one upgrade certificate.

As others have said the one category upgrade certificates are just about

useless.....I am assuming you are saying you got 6 one category upgrade certificates?.......I've never seen $100 certificates.

Edited by Leosmom

More info:

As I posted before, I received correct certs for one of my three accounts, but the other two were wrong, and have not yet been corrected. I did have a cruise booked and because of the delay in the program, missed being able to send them in before final payment in January.

When I received my correct certs on that one account, I sent them in to NCL immediately. Mailed them on 2/6, and exactly 1 week later, 2/13, the credit showed up on my credit card. So, thanks to NCL for posting the credit so quickly.

Edited by Maryfrei

Yes, there is a big difference. The $500 cert is good for $500 off the price of your cruise. The 100 point cert is good for a one category upgrade, suites not included. That cert is usually worth well under $100. Also, they don't allow you to combine $500 and 100 point certificates.

Were your 500+ points all on one account? If so, it would seem you should have gotten the $500 cert. If it was less than 500 per account you would only get the 100 point certs.

Edited by Maryfrei

BIG diference ,, the upgrade certs. have NO cash value.

The $500. certs are same as cash ..

You should have received (1) $500. +(1) 100 point upgrade.

I got two (2) certificates, each worth "up to" $500 off a cruise, and I did have exactly 1,000 points through the end of last year. Next step is to apply these certificates to our current booking on the Sky--$992 was the fare for the three (3) of us. I will be able to apply the discount toward all three passengers, won't I?

I do plan to hold off for a while, make sure I'm not going to make any changes, that would be an administrative headache to try to fix if I'd already applied the certificates.

I got two (2) certificates, each worth "up to" $500 off a cruise, and I did have exactly 1,000 points through the end of last year. Next step is to apply these certificates to our current booking on the Sky--$992 was the fare for the three (3) of us. I will be able to apply the discount toward all three passengers, won't I?

I do plan to hold off for a while, make sure I'm not going to make any changes, that would be an administrative headache to try to fix if I'd already applied the certificates.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as a person in the cabin is the same name as on the certificates.

It is 100 POINT certificate. Good for upgrade inside to better inside, OV to better OV, balcony ot better balcony but no Mini which is Deluxe Balcony but NCL states it is 50% bigger than a BA balcony.

You should call them right away! you should have received one $500

certificate (worth $500 off the cruise price) and one upgrade certificate.

As others have said the one category upgrade certificates are just about

useless.....I am assuming you are saying you got 6 one category upgrade certificates?.......I've never seen $100 certificates.

I called NCL Latitudes who could not help with the new credit card perks. They transferred me to Marketing who told me that B of A handles the credit card, they are the name on it but have nothing to do with it. It is now a large popular card called WORLDPOINTS and that card gives rewards for many things besides cruising which people want. I questioned her on NCL statements of perks for cardholders & she tells me to visit: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=WorldPoints. I tell her that 50,000 points which is $50,000 in purchases unless you can do $25,000 in NCL purchases to get $500 OBC. That is far from the Compass Rewards perks & B of A tells me that you wanted to cut the value of the perks. She tells me to call B of A to get the info from them.

So I again phone them & ask where the info I have been expecting since December 12th billing date which was the origainal closing date of my account. I was told the info would come with the new card but didn't. Just to visit bankofamerica.com/worldpoints which has no info on NCL in it. That gal tells me that I have a new card sent to me on 1/30/09 that I have not used. No 5000 points since I am not a new accountholder. I told her it is a new account for us so we are but she said NO. Then again I am told to call NCL for thei perks.

So being so sick & tired of this game I closed the new account since they closed the long time MBNA account. So it will not effect my credit score.

Husband has a World MC that has points for air & cruise purchases, so I will charge NCL to that. When Signature Visa BOGO air runs out then we may change to using the World MC to a Platinum AMEX to get plenty of BOGO air even international.

My correct certificates arrived today. I originally got a 100 point upgrade cert when I was supposed to receive (2) $500 and (1) upgrade. I did not contact anyone or mail in any proofs - they have fixed the error automatically.